Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Roses: New To Rose Gardening

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 11, Views: 165
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2011
11:27 AM

Post #8632185

Two weeks ago, I took a part time job caring for a garden. There are rose bushes which need care. I cut them back, cleaned out the dead wood, and I will treat them with Sevin and Miracle Grow in a few days, after the predicted rain.

I have a question - Will they bloom again this summer ?

Thanks.

I'll be reading this Rose forum from now on. I'm sure there is lots to learn from you experts.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

June 15, 2011
11:33 AM

Post #8632193

Do you know what kind of roses they are? Some roses are once-bloomers while the rest repeat bloom throughout the growing season, some more than others. If you didn't cut them back excessively, the rebloomers should flower again in a month +/-.
Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2011
3:51 PM

Post #8632749

porkpal - Thanks. I have absolutely no idea what kind of roses they are. Perhaps I'll be surprised with rebloomers.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

June 15, 2011
9:29 PM

Post #8633346

If they bloom take pictures. The folks here may be able to identify them.
Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2011
4:47 AM

Post #8633641

porkpal - OK. I will ! Thanks !
bookreader451
Troy, NY
(Zone 5b)

June 16, 2011
3:50 PM

Post #8634641

Next season you may want to try Austin. Here is a link to roses that will do well in warmer climates. I have many austins and I am in a much colder zone but they have all done amazing.

http://www.davidaustinroses.com/american/Advanced.asp?PageId=2063
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2011
5:20 PM

Post #8638972

I second the recommendation for Austin roses. My favorite, so far, is Wildeve. I am surprised that more people don't grow that one. Golden Celebration has lovely blooms but gets blackspot badly. Sharifa Asama is on the top of my wish list.

My most floriferous rose is Buck's Honey Sweet. It is classified as a shrub rose, but has hybrid tea type blooms. It makes me want to try more Buck roses.

I have had best results with own root roses.

Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2011
11:39 AM

Post #8640346

I think I will be buying a couple new roses to fill in empty spots. I will look for Austin. Thanks for the tip, bookreader451 and GardenQuilts.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 21, 2011
7:08 AM

Post #8644293

Welcome to the forum, Countrymom!
Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2011
4:23 PM

Post #8654293

terri_emory - Thanks !

Another question - Some of the roses have black spot. Is there an organic treatment for it that I could make at home ? I really don't like using chemicals if avoidable.

terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 15, 2011
12:47 PM

Post #8694240

I have used GreenCure with good success. http://greencure.net/

I've also used the Cornell Formula (mixed myself). http://www.organicrosecare.org/articles/recipe_mildew_control.php . That works pretty well, too. I never quite completely get rid of black spot, but these work well. It has not been as humid this year and I haven't had to do much treatment. But I try to keep up with it!

I'm not entirely sure that GreenCure is not based on one of the Cornell formulas, but the choise is to mix yourself--or not to mix yourself!

Oh, by the way, I have a minor in chemistry and love to read and keep up with that end of science. Almost everything we can think of is made up of various chemicals. Even you. Even organic fertilizer. It just depends on which you choose to use/live with. =) Its good to be careful with chemicals, but the above are made of chemicals! Just a little note from a closet chemhead!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 19, 2011
1:14 AM

Post #8701075

Closet chemhead! LOL!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America