New To Rose Gardening

Cuyahoga Falls, OH(Zone 5a)

Two weeks ago, I took a part time job caring for a garden. There are rose bushes which need care. I cut them back, cleaned out the dead wood, and I will treat them with Sevin and Miracle Grow in a few days, after the predicted rain.

I have a question - Will they bloom again this summer ?

Thanks.

I'll be reading this Rose forum from now on. I'm sure there is lots to learn from you experts.

Richmond, TX

Do you know what kind of roses they are? Some roses are once-bloomers while the rest repeat bloom throughout the growing season, some more than others. If you didn't cut them back excessively, the rebloomers should flower again in a month +/-.

porkpal - Thanks. I have absolutely no idea what kind of roses they are. Perhaps I'll be surprised with rebloomers.

Richmond, TX

If they bloom take pictures. The folks here may be able to identify them.

porkpal - OK. I will ! Thanks !

Troy, NY(Zone 5b)

Next season you may want to try Austin. Here is a link to roses that will do well in warmer climates. I have many austins and I am in a much colder zone but they have all done amazing.

http://www.davidaustinroses.com/american/Advanced.asp?PageId=2063

Pocono Mountains, PA(Zone 6a)

I second the recommendation for Austin roses. My favorite, so far, is Wildeve. I am surprised that more people don't grow that one. Golden Celebration has lovely blooms but gets blackspot badly. Sharifa Asama is on the top of my wish list.

My most floriferous rose is Buck's Honey Sweet. It is classified as a shrub rose, but has hybrid tea type blooms. It makes me want to try more Buck roses.

I have had best results with own root roses.

I think I will be buying a couple new roses to fill in empty spots. I will look for Austin. Thanks for the tip, bookreader451 and GardenQuilts.

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Welcome to the forum, Countrymom!

terri_emory - Thanks !

Another question - Some of the roses have black spot. Is there an organic treatment for it that I could make at home ? I really don't like using chemicals if avoidable.

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

I have used GreenCure with good success. http://greencure.net/

I've also used the Cornell Formula (mixed myself). http://www.organicrosecare.org/articles/recipe_mildew_control.php . That works pretty well, too. I never quite completely get rid of black spot, but these work well. It has not been as humid this year and I haven't had to do much treatment. But I try to keep up with it!

I'm not entirely sure that GreenCure is not based on one of the Cornell formulas, but the choise is to mix yourself--or not to mix yourself!

Oh, by the way, I have a minor in chemistry and love to read and keep up with that end of science. Almost everything we can think of is made up of various chemicals. Even you. Even organic fertilizer. It just depends on which you choose to use/live with. =) Its good to be careful with chemicals, but the above are made of chemicals! Just a little note from a closet chemhead!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Closet chemhead! LOL!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.