Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Recipes: Interested in avocado and guacamole recipies

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 14, Views: 189
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2011
12:40 PM

Post #8632374

I love avocados but would like variouse ways o f using them.
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 15, 2011
3:16 PM

Post #8632686

I chop them up and combine them with a jar of my favorite jarred salsa - eat with chips.
weasel71
Lombard, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2011
10:34 AM

Post #8634214

Hi Sparks. So here is a recipe for a guacamole that my best friend makes. I wasn't sure about the OJ as one of the ingredients, but I have to tell you that it is AMAZING.

Tracey’s Guacamole

2 medium vine-ripened tomatoes, halved crosswise, cored, & seeded
2 - 3 serrano chilies
3 large Hass avocados, halved, pitted, & peeled
Juice of 1-1/2 limes
Juice of 1 small orange
1/4 diced red onion
3/4 cup fresh cilantro (or more :) )
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
pepper to taste

I've grilled (or broiled) the tomatoes & chilies before to give them a smoky taste, and that turns out nicely too.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2011
4:10 PM

Post #8634685

For a non-Mexican recipe try a Cobb salad. The critical ingredients are Romaine, crumbled bacon, sliced hard boiled eggs, chicken, bleu cheese, tomatoes and avocado. There are lots of online recipes.

Avocado salad dressings are out there too. Just blenderize your avocados with low fat sour cream or half sour cream/half low fat mayo. Add lemon juice, salt, pepper, garlic and any herbs you like to taste. Cilantro or parsley is good. Add water to thin at the consistency you desire.

A good crusty bread toasted and then piled with BLT filling is fantastic with sliced avocado. You can use traditional mayo or even better...combine mayo with a tad of chipotles in adobo. Add fresh squeezed lime or lemon to that spread.

Avocados, fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, cilantro and cotija cheese just go. It's a great marinated salad for do ahead gatherings. Marinade in lime juice and good olive oil. Only a little salt because the cheese is salty. Add pepper to taste. If you can't get this Mexican cheese substitute feta. If you like a mild flavor use fresh mozzarella, substitute lemon juice for lime and parsley for cilantro.
Laurel
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2011
11:34 AM

Post #8636521

Thanks to the three of you. I will be trying the recipies you have layed out. One exception, I don't like blue cheese.
muttlover
Quincy, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 17, 2011
2:08 PM

Post #8636827

I call this "The House of Chaos Signature Sandwich".
2 slices of pumpernickel bread or other whole grain type
spread one slice with a tbsp of mayonaisse and the other with a tablespoon of hummus.
Sprinkle bacon crumbles (or the soy equivalent) onto the hummus
Add a couple of slices of fresh red tomato and
a slice of sharp Cheddar cheese.
Then add a few slices of fresh avocado and put the 2nd slice of bread on top, mayo side inside. I love this sandwich, which I invented. You can make it your own by changing out the type of cheese and/or bread you use.
Edens_Gardener
Clay Center, KS
(Zone 5b)

June 18, 2011
5:53 AM

Post #8638003

Spinach salad w/mandarin oranges, slices of sweet onion and avocado with a citrus or raspberry dressing.
Avocado half filled with balsamic vinegar, catalina style dressing, or just sprinkled with seasoned salt.
Avocado slices on top of a grilled hamburger (bacon and tomato slices optional)
Add to any salad, or just a tomato platter. Sliced and served along with eggs, sausage and salsa.
Can you guess we love avocados?
need to add a link to another favorite recipe
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/596727/?hl=shrimp+avocado+fettucini

This message was edited Jun 18, 2011 7:02 AM
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 24, 2011
9:53 AM

Post #8651508

This sounds odd and horrible but I have to admit I love it and I tolerate a certain product in my fridge because of this recipe:lol: I don't really even like Miracle Whip and mostly have no reason to have it other than this recipe and the odd tomato sandwich in the summer (I'm mainly a regular mayo girl.)

Mashed avacado
Sprinkle of lemon juice
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Salt and pepper to taste
Sour cream
Miracle Whip

Depends on your particular taste and texture preferences and how much avacado you're whipping up. I'm usually only doing one at a time for myself. Usually about a tsp each of the sour cream and MW for that and seasoning to taste. The odd sweet note of the MW just gets me:lol:

A friend of mine made this for me when I lived in New Mexico--her version of guacamole as a Tennessee girl:lol:

annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2011
6:44 PM

Post #8667048

Anna's guacamole, Anna was my house keeper when I lived if California, having a large avacado tree in the year, she made use of the wonderful fruit

2 large, ripe avacados
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice ( we had those in the yard too)
1 cup finely diced sweet onion
5 fresh cloves garlic
1 teas sea salt
1 small tomato, chopped fine

Peel and mash avacados, squeeze lemon into avacados adding the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
Cover with plastic wrap, pressing down to the guacamole to prevent browning.
Chill for at least 2 hours
Serve with Warm Tortilla chips

dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 3, 2011
9:08 AM

Post #8669608

If you chop them up and toss into vinegarette based pasta salads or cold quinoa, rice, kasha/buckwheat or couscous salads the acid in the vinegarette would help hold the color or just cut enough to toss in when ready to serve. I use avocado on sandwiches, sliced or mashed also.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

July 5, 2011
3:01 PM

Post #8674345

'round here there is usually a slice in the vegetable soup served at most Mexican restaurants. Some even stuff, batter and deep fry them.

This message was edited Jul 8, 2011 8:15 AM
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2011
3:51 AM

Post #8675340

The question is, "what can't you do with the wonderful fruit." Avacados are so good for you.
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 7, 2011
5:39 AM

Post #8677741

Corn and Avo Salad

Cut kernals from a fresh cob of corn
dice an avocado
rough chop a few scallions
Mince some garlic

Mix together in bowl with juice from 2 limes, some cumin, some dill, salt, pepper, hot pepper flakes, splash of balsamic, splash of olive oil.

Great side dish for a grilled meal.
Zooty
Mansfield, TX

July 7, 2011
1:54 PM

Post #8678680

I haven't yet tried this myself, but have been told that to fill the seed hole with Italian dressing, then eat, is absolutely devine.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

July 8, 2011
6:16 AM

Post #8679909

You can fill with any of your favorite salad dressings, then use a small spoon to get some in each bite.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America