Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Texas Gardening: Rats eating plants!

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 12, Views: 128
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 15, 2011
11:40 PM

Post #8633443

Several species of rats have eaten almost all of the blooms and leaves on my large rose of Sharon which is a tree (afraid it is going to die); all my vines to the ground including evergreens; all young vegetable plants; pepper, lemon, lime, pomegranate and eggplant fruit; ivy, Mexican petunia and the list could go on. There were 5 huge rats eating the rose of Sharon leaves in the afternoon several days in a row; however, most of the damage is done at night. They are coming from the fields behind my house and from tree trunks and limbs that were placed all along my neighbors' fence that separates our properties when their huge oak tree was cut down. They refuse to haul off this rat hotel.

I have very few plants left in my patio area and my vegetable plants are being destroyed. I resorted to leaving pans of water for the rats; however, they are also obviously in search of food due to the extremely severe record breaking drought in my area and this strategy did not work. I actually placed dog food out for them to eat instead of my plants and they ate none of it. My Jack Russell terrier has killed a few. We have had to resort to using traps which has been ineffective; however, the rat "army" must be quite large and we are unable to leave traps in areas that my dogs and other animals can access. I won't use poison.

Cats aren't doing their job and my neighbor shot the owls who used to help out with keeping the rat population down. They have invaded my house and have destroyed parts of my air conditioner as well as a part on my washing machine. They ate our air conditioning ducts and are chewing holes through the walls of our garage trying to access the inside living space. We are having to patch rat holes (as well as squirrel holes) on the outside of the house Anyone have any suggestions as to how to save my plants and my house from these critters? Any suggestions would be appreciated especially any non-lethal ones. I am about to the point of arming myself ...
Dogs_N_Petunias
Cleburne, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2011
6:55 AM

Post #8633823

On RV forums, I've seen discussion of a device that emits an ultrasonic sound that causes rodents to leave the area.

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2011
12:35 PM

Post #8634372

I sympathize with you Hazel. I had a lighted three shelf plant cart in my garage where I was rooting my cuttings and seedlings and they were destroying all of them, I ended up bringing the cart in the house even though I really don't have a good place for it, and putting the sound devices in the garage.
I don't know if they are gone, but I haven't seen any more damage, except from the squirrels, who dig in my pots and eat my fruit.

I also volunteer and the city greenhouse raising plants for the wildscape, and the rats went crazy over there, they ate many of the plants down to the roots and finally they resorted to poison, they are gone now, thank goodness.

I hope you can get your problem under control, it is very upsetting.
Josephine.
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 16, 2011
2:36 PM

Post #8634537

OH my Gosh. This is awful. I sure hope you find something that works and soon. I saw a show years ago saying that droughts cause rodents and other animals to reproduce at alarming rates. Please becareful as breathing the dried droppings causes the Haunta virus in ones lungs. It is a deadly virus. I am not trying to scare you...just trying to let you know so you can be very careful.
peony1066
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2011
4:59 AM

Post #8635734

If you have to clean a place where rodents have been it is recommended that you first spritz the area with a bleach/water mixture to avoid the dust from dried urine or feces entering your lungs and causing infection.

I know that problems with rodents can be very disheartening. Good luck.
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 17, 2011
6:31 AM

Post #8635960

I don't have rodents but I have grasshoppers that get 4 inches long. I have a small yard and from babies to full grown I have killed over 300 this year. I saw one last night when I was watering after dark. I hit him with the sprinkler but it was to dark to see if I got him.

This is my Aztec lily with the bloom now eaten and the bloom stem chewed on. It is a little out of focus (sorry)
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 17, 2011
6:35 AM

Post #8635969

Nothing eats these grasshoppers because they are poison. It figures!! Southeastern Lubber Grasshopper.

I really hope you can find a way to get rid of the rats. Great advice on the bleach water. I would also wear a mask. You can usually find them at the dollar store...Maybe 3 to 5 in a pack for 1 dollar.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2011
6:48 PM

Post #8637391

Have you tried asking friends or family that have dogs with the predisposition of hunting rats/small animals, to bring their dogs over for a hunting party?

We have a dog that is just a mut, but she takes hunting rats and mice seriously; she will not quit till every last rat/mouse in our yard is dead. When the fall comes and the varmits are looking for places to hide for the winter, we have to go out and see what she is barking about, then move the fire wood or whatever the mice are hiding under, she grabs and kills them (she will chase them down if they try to run for it.) It may take a couple of times a week for a few weeks but the dogs could put a serious dent in the rat population. Seems to me that would be the easiest and most effective thing to do.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 17, 2011
6:55 PM

Post #8637411

Jack Russell terriers were bred for rat hunting from a show I saw, about the best defense you have seems. I had some rodents taking my Althea blooms once but my neighbor sat out with a flashlight several nights and shot them.
First time I ever knew that happened. They were white blooms and I caught a glimpse of a bloom walking up the branch and down the trunk, weirdest thing I had ever seen.
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 20, 2011
8:08 AM

Post #8642232

Dogs_N_Petunias, thanks for the suggestion. My husband has ordered one that is set off by the motion of body heat. I have tried the small ones before; however, they never solved the problem.

Josephine, thanks. I am going to try the ultrasonic device. My husband almost cried when all his seedlings were eaten down. If I could determine a way to poison them without harming my dogs and other animals. I would probably resort to poisoning them because it has become so bad.

ilovejesus99 and Peony1066, thanks for the warnings about the health hazard involving rats and the suggestions. ilovejesus99, I'm sorry that you have the grasshopper problem and hope they don't come here! Your poor Aztec lily ... so sad.

Ladypearl, thanks for the suggestion. My Jack Russell who is bred to hunt and kill rats has tried his best with the help of my huge other dog. They work as a team with each dog blocking the each direction the rats might run. But, there are just so many of them ... almost a rat army. The 2 terriers in the neighbor's yard are after them as well. A little Jack Russell was lost for 2 days ... should have adopted him if his family wasn't found. I have been upset with my neighbor's cats digging in my flowerbeds for years. Now, they are my friends. I am encouraging more of them to come visit at night. Several now come every night into my backyard when the dogs are not out to hunt the rats. Several hawks have been coming to bathe in the birdbaths every day and have caught a few rats that were out in the daytime.

Sheila_FW, thanks for your comments. My Jack Russell wants to go out every 10 minutes at night to chase the rats down. I would leave him out all night if he wasn't so lonely by himself. He wants out and then wants right back in after a chase, Then, he wants back out again. Funny story about your "moving" althea bloom. Bet that freaked you out for a second! My husband has shot a few rats with a pellet gun; but, he is not very persistent. We are ordering fox scented pellets that can be placed around the yard, in flower pots and hung in stockings from tree branches. I'm mixing peppermint extract with water and spraying it on the plant leaves as well as soaking rags in ammonia and placing the rags where I know the rats are coming through the fence and making holes in the house. Lots of rat raps are in the vegetable containers. I'll try any thing at this point.

Thank you all for your comments.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 20, 2011
10:16 AM

Post #8642479

Sounds like you need to seek professional help with them. That is a serious problem you have because they breed so fast too. I know you could ring the neck of the guy that shot the owl. They are great hunters.

patrob

patrob
Goldthwaite, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 20, 2011
7:31 PM

Post #8643573

Hazel, watch out for your dogs as neighbors who aren't as well informed may use rat poison. As you know, if a dog or cat eats a poisoned rat, he too could die. We all need good soaking rain to get back to normal!
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 20, 2011
7:49 PM

Post #8643620

I use to have pet German hooded rats. They make better pets than hamsters But I am not speaking about wild rats. The reason I bring them up is they have babies every 2 weeks and can get pregnant immediately after giving birth. It is a vicious cycle. They can have 5-8 litters a year and 5-8 young per litter. Times that by 10 females and OMGosh a living nightmare.

I quit having pet rats as they only live 2 years. That got to be too much heartbreak.

I hope you can get a handle on this soon. What a terrible thing to have to deal with. I killed another grasshopper tonight. I sure hope none mated and laid eggs for next year. My poor Amaryllis look awful.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America