Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Who Did That? Identifying Insect Damage: Do ants damage lawns

Communities > Forums > Article: Who Did That? Identifying Insect Damage
bookmark
Forum: Article: Who Did That? Identifying Insect DamageReplies: 1, Views: 7
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
binibusybee
Osgoode, ON
(Zone 5b)

June 16, 2011
7:56 AM

Post #8633940

Hello Toni
I've had this question on my mind for a long time and decided to look for related articles when i found this. There are so many products on the market to kill ants, i'm wondering if I'm a negligent gardener as i never bother to try and mess with the ants in my garden.
i have one patch of grass, where the previous owners had put a lot of sand for a gazebo, which has a lot of ants and is frequently looking more poorly then the low-lying, sitting on clay grass areas. Now, I imagine the good drainange dries the sandy spot out too fast hence the dying off in hot weather, or do the ants living there have something to do with it too?

I would appreciate your input so that I can put the question to rest!

Thanks in advance,
Sabine
tonileland
Uncasville, CT
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2011
5:27 AM

Post #8635808

Hi Sabine,
Ants prefer sand because it makes their life easier for building tunnels and nests. I don't think the ants are to blame for the poor-looking grass; more likely, it's the sand that doesn't seem to support most common turfgrass.

I believe if the ants aren't a concern to children and pets, probably should leave them to it. If you really want to get rid of them, sprinkle flour over the area. It's not toxic, but they carry it back to the nest where, when eaten, it does not digest and they die.

This doesn't guarantee that other colonies won't come to your sandy area, but it would give you the chance to amend the soil and plant grass.

Hope this helps.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Who Did That? Identifying Insect Damage Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Plant chewing insects redladybug 3 Mar 30, 2009 8:57 PM
Blister Bugs grits74571 0 Mar 30, 2009 12:22 PM
webworms vossner 1 Mar 30, 2009 2:56 PM
Good Article DonM47 1 Mar 30, 2009 7:38 PM
Yellow caterpillar mamasita 0 Mar 30, 2009 9:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America