AuthorContent
HydroPinke
Burien, WA
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2011
9:37 AM

Post #8634112

Hi!
Been lurking on the plant I.D. Forum for awhile, but decided to get a subscription for access to all forums. I live just outside Seattle in Burien.
A little bit about me.
We bought a house last December, which came with a beautiful yard with lots a lovely mature plants and a lot of surprises this spring. Luckily the I.D. Forum gang has been able to help identify most of my mysteries, but not all. Still need a few to flower to confirm species.
I have lived in chicago land area, San Diego, and Seattle area now, all these different climate zones have given me a diverse knowledge of lots of plants. I was a florist for 9 years, and then worked at various nurseries for the last 6 years. I have never been to school for horticulture, I started gardening more with trial and error method. There are lots of things I still dont know about plants, but that's what books are for. Which leads me to my motto's. Your not stretching yourself as a gardener unless your killing plants! (stolen from a chachki at a craft fair) Whenever friends tell me they are a terrible gardener and they kill plants I tell them, trust me! I have killed more plants then you have ever even owned. Just keep trying, and call me when your stumped. I will help you figure out what you are doing wrong.
My Achilles heal is houseplants! I am getting better at not killing them, but I still compost 1-2 a year it seems. I have a heavy hand when it comes to watering and I'm working on it. I once killed a ficus tree, which I find mortifyingly embarrassing. We don't have to talk about that anymore though, LMAO.
I feel like I could go on forever about how much I love gardening, but I will stop myself for now and just share stories as they seem appropriate. Also, I am now a full time stay at home to a 20 month old. It's seems my main job in life now is to keep him from killing himself in the 100 ways I never thought possible. Fearless little boys (named Maddox) are a handful! Thankfully he loves helping mommy in the garden.
Please forgive any spelling or grammatical errors, there is a learning curve for The iPad which I have not yet conquered, and autocorrect is evil.
I look forward to gardening with everyone this year :)
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

June 16, 2011
2:12 PM

Post #8634510

Welcome HP, you will find this forum very forgiving, informative, and friendly. We share stories of success as well as failures. We occasionally meet up at some plant related event, and you are more than welcome to join in. I'm up north and work from home, so I tend to pop in and out sporadically during the day (no one to look over my shoulder and see I'm giving myself a plant-break). I'm close to retirement and still learning how to keep plants alive. I'm with you on the houseplants - my son recently left 6 in my care thinking it was a great idea...I don't think he is taking any of them back and I will likely just buy him replacements. Oopsie.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

June 16, 2011
4:16 PM

Post #8634700

Welcome! I look forward to getting to know you, Hydro ...

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2011
10:13 PM

Post #8635486

How-de-do! Welcome to the PNW!

I live in Everett and want to say: Spring is not ALWAYS this late and cold.

I hope you enjoy the mild climate, and can stand cool summers and no mosquitoes.

>> Your not stretching yourself as a gardener unless your killing plants!

Thanks for saying that. I still do a LOT of stretching. I just hope that, after a few more years of experience, I get to point of mostly killing difficult plants.

I look forward to seeing you around DG.

Corey

PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2011
7:32 AM

Post #8636074

Welcome, too, Hydro. You will definitely enjoy this diverse group of gardeners. If you really want to get your feet wet with things, consider joining us on the 9th of July for a small get together. Here is the link:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1170095/

springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

June 17, 2011
8:35 PM

Post #8637618

Hydro
Welcome this is a fun bunch!
kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

June 18, 2011
12:19 PM

Post #8638576

Welcome, Hydro! I wish we lived closer to each other. I have a hard time meeting people close to my age (36) who are as passionate about gardening as I am...which is a bummer. Most of my friends have teeny teeny tiny yards, which was the tradeoff they made for large homes...so not much gardening for them, even though there is interest. I have 3 sons ages 2, 4, and 6. It is fun to involve them in gardening.
mauryhillfarm
Vashon, WA
(Zone 8b)

June 18, 2011
2:33 PM

Post #8638735

Another welcome, from across the water on Vashon Island. I have also done plenty of learning about gardening through trial and error. Lots of error and trial, with some success too. I figure every time a plant has met its demise, I just have additional reason to plant more plants and fill up the empty space.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 19, 2011
7:28 PM

Post #8641266

And a welcome from Lakewood, close to Tacoma.
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

July 22, 2011
10:24 PM

Post #8709964

Sorry I missed this. Welcome, HP!
ladyfiresign
Richmond B.C.
Canada

July 26, 2011
12:30 PM

Post #8716539

Welcome HP from up around the Vancouver BC area! I also had gardening experience in Chicago-land, as well as Dallas, TX, and Syracuse, NY. Those other area experiences gave me plenty of opportunities to kill plants on a regular basis and it continues here! ;-)
Gwendalou
Langley, WA
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2011
2:52 PM

Post #8716817

Welcome! I do floral work as well, but am also a court reporter. I'm on the south end of Whidbey Island.

And I'm pretty sure if there were ever a contest here for killing the most plants that I would win! I hope you will consider coming to our 8/27 event at Lynn's house.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 26, 2011
6:05 PM

Post #8717164

>> And I'm pretty sure if there were ever a contest here for killing the most plants that I would win!

Do seedlings count? I want to throw my hat into the ring for that contest. I have some very efficient, high-volume techniques for killing seedlings in large numbers.

Corey
Gwendalou
Langley, WA
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2011
8:27 PM

Post #8717471

Seedlings count, but honey, get in line behind me!
Azorina
(Linda)Gig Harbor, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 26, 2011
8:39 PM

Post #8717500

Welcome from Gig Harbor! Gees the only thing left in my yard is the stuff I haven't killed yet~ ha
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

July 26, 2011
10:45 PM

Post #8717690

Welcome Hydro from the far east! Montana Some wild flowers along road yesterday.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Click the image for an enlarged view.

HydroPinke
Burien, WA
(Zone 7b)

July 28, 2011
7:54 AM

Post #8720722

Thank you for the warm welcome. Been away from the computer for a while, just got home from vacation. Now I need a vacation from my vacation :p
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

August 5, 2011
10:17 PM

Post #8739575

welcome Hydro.
Gwen and I are hostessing a get together at my house Sept 24 (the thread says Aug, but the date has been changed.) I really hope you can come. Dmail me and I can give you more information.
We live in South Prairie, with a Buckley address. We are about 30 minutes from Burien.
Hope you can attend. Bring your hubby, family, dog, whatever.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Pacific Northwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cannas and Agapanthus in the PNW? SalemSunshine 14 Mar 1, 2011 10:08 PM
Tomatoes - when to transplant? Leehallfae 16 Oct 23, 2010 9:33 PM
Anyone want some fish? Pixydish 33 May 27, 2009 5:38 AM
Does bamboo grow in Spokane? Adriaan 24 Oct 30, 2007 5:38 AM
only one bloom on my rhododendron this year JoieM 27 Jul 11, 2007 3:51 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America