-
AuthorContent
tinamartis
Fort Lauderdale, FL

June 17, 2011
7:28 AM

Post #8636064

Hi,
I am new to gardening and juyst started 6 months back. I live in South Floria. I planted a Thai basil plant sometime back and it was growing fine until a 3 months back when I noticed light brown spots on the plant. Also the leaves at the top of the branches are shrinking and I noticed this black tiny insects on it. I tried spraying some organic pesticide on it once every few days, but it does not go away. Please help me save my basil plant.

Thumbnail by tinamartis
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tinamartis
Fort Lauderdale, FL

June 17, 2011
7:29 AM

Post #8636068

Image of the tiny black insects..

Thumbnail by tinamartis
Click the image for an enlarged view.

plantfreak78

plantfreak78
Rolesville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2011
11:50 AM

Post #8642642

I'm not sure what caused the spots unless you sprayed them with something right before they showed up. Even if just plain ol' water gets on basil leaves, direct sunlight can cause burn spots like that. From the second picture it looks like you have foliar thrips. The bad thing about them is that they can fly/jump so when you spray they just leave the plant and return later. But if you can keep at them with the spray you're using you might at least put a dent in their populations.
tinamartis
Fort Lauderdale, FL

July 6, 2011
5:21 AM

Post #8675473

I have not kept them in direct sunlight, so not sure why the brown spots still appear.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2011
8:33 AM

Post #8680142

Try this thread and see if anything looks like what you have. http://www.extento.hawaii.edu/kbase/reports/Herbs/basil.htm
BSD
Conway, SC

July 8, 2011
2:57 PM

Post #8680765

Susan may have given you this info. I could not open the website. See if flea beetle is the problem. This is a website relating to herbs and their insect problems.

http://www.backyardgardener.com/alive/ga33.htm

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America