Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Florida Gardening: Florida Gardening Pictures of the Day - 28

Communities > Forums > Florida Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Florida GardeningReplies: 227, Views: 1,841
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
flaflwrgrl
North Central , FL
(Zone 8b)

June 17, 2011
2:08 PM

Post #8636828

Welcome!
Please come join us & post your photos here!

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1170231/#new

This message was edited Jun 17, 2011 4:11 PM

Thumbnail by flaflwrgrl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2011
5:09 PM

Post #8637173

memory isn't what it use to be as I can't remember the name of the plant nor can I think of the name of the place I got it... the place is in northern OHIO... if anyone can remember the place please post, then go there to find it...

Jan
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8637246

Was it Baker's Acre's in Alexandria, Ohio? I have traveled there twice to purchase coleus plants. Chris Baker has a most awesome nursery there.
Sidney
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 17, 2011
5:51 PM

Post #8637259

Did someone say photos...

of Spring>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2011
5:55 PM

Post #8637270

Okay Dale what's the blue plant and how long does it bloom?
Sidney
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 17, 2011
6:15 PM

Post #8637316

Lobelia. Here in Tampa from early Nov to March. Will not take heavy frost.

flaflwrgrl
North Central , FL
(Zone 8b)

June 17, 2011
6:39 PM

Post #8637363

Very pretty Dale. Love the combination.

Ann

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 18, 2011
6:23 AM

Post #8638043

Lobelia techo heat comes in dark blue, violet and a light blue. You start seeing in early spring in the nurseries and it blooms here until the mid summer. I still have a planter with light blue, and a hanging pot and planter, of dark blue. My violets are just now dying back. I haven't had luck with them coming back after cutting them back. They are a great filler for container gardens. Do very well in the full sun.
The photo is a mix of dark blue with the violet Lobelia

Thumbnail by sunkissed

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 18, 2011
6:42 AM

Post #8638088

Here is the light blue

Thumbnail by sunkissed

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2011
7:21 PM

Post #8639235

Sidney,

thanks you saved me... can't believe I couldn't remember the name. I went there all the time and 70 percent of my garden was made up from plants at their year sale... I love that place.

That plant is a most certain full sun. if you plant it less than full sun you will not get blooms like that. I got the 3 pack gave one to a neighbor and she has mostly shade and her's wasn't even half of what my two were...

Jan

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 19, 2011
2:36 PM

Post #8640710

Oak Leaf Hydrangia

Thumbnail by FLStu

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 19, 2011
2:41 PM

Post #8640721

Veronica spicata 'Sunny Border Blue'

Thumbnail by FLStu

PurePlants
Deltona, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 19, 2011
2:47 PM

Post #8640732

The biggest Staghorn Fern I have ever seen in person! Central Florida zoo

Thumbnail by PurePlants

PurePlants
Deltona, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 19, 2011
2:48 PM

Post #8640734

One in a tree...

Thumbnail by PurePlants

PurePlants
Deltona, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 19, 2011
2:49 PM

Post #8640736

And another hanging, so huge!

Thumbnail by PurePlants

PurePlants
Deltona, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 19, 2011
2:50 PM

Post #8640742

Texas Red Star Hibiscus

Thumbnail by PurePlants

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 19, 2011
2:53 PM

Post #8640746

Bat-faced Cupea 'Cuphea llavea'

Thumbnail by FLStu

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 19, 2011
2:55 PM

Post #8640750

Stokes Aster

Thumbnail by FLStu

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 19, 2011
3:17 PM

Post #8640774

Stokes aster 'Purple Parasol'

Thumbnail by FLStu

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 19, 2011
4:21 PM

Post #8640868

Wisteria on the front fence this spring

Thumbnail by FLStu

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 19, 2011
4:42 PM

Post #8640929

Pot of terrestrial orchids

Thumbnail by FLStu

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 20, 2011
3:13 PM

Post #8643079

Hi, FlStu! Good to see you post. I still have whiter-flowering wisteria for you, if we ever happen to be in the same place at the same time, or if you ever head this way.

In regard to the discussion of the local garden clubs above, several years ago I determined that I truly was a garden snob and I could ascertain within about 5 minutes or less if a person I was speaking with really knew anything about gardening or had done much of it. So, I can empathize with not wanting to attend garden clubs where there is not full-time discussion of plants and the discussion is mostly gossip circles. Several years ago, when I was going through the Master Gardener training, a lady sitting next to me was doing embroidery of flowers and volunteered the info that it was as close to gardening as she would ever get because she didn't like to get her hands dirty. I was aghast! Especially since there are only a very limited number of slots available in Duval County for the Master Gardener training. Perhaps she made a huge donation to the Extension Office??!

Photo: A mini-Phalaenopsis orchid I found in spike a few days ago in my back patio.

Thumbnail by JaxFlaGardener

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 20, 2011
3:14 PM

Post #8643084

Daylily 'Big Snow' - about as white as a daylily can be.

Jeremy

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 20, 2011
3:17 PM

Post #8643089

A good old standby - Plumbago. I also have the white-flowering variety. Has anyone else noticed that the blue shades of Plumbago tend to be different hues of blue -- maybe depending on soil pH or other factors? I have shades of blue in Plumbago flowers in different locations in my garden, ranging from a deep caerulean sky blue to nearly white, and I'm sure the different hues are not due to being from different cultivars.

Jeremy

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 20, 2011
3:21 PM

Post #8643098

Passiflora 'Incense' - the most invasive plant I've ever put into the ground, but soon, perhaps to be the basis for my new venture in butterfly farming for profit!
(Butterflies sell for about $5 each for release at weddings and other events and the Gulf Frittilary and Zebra Longwing butterflies both use the P. 'Incense' as a host food.) My Zebra Longwing population, though, died out in the freeze with sustained 20s F temperatures of 2009 and never returned throughout 2010. Send some my way!

Jeremy

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 20, 2011
3:23 PM

Post #8643099

Zinnia 'White Profusion' - a favorite summer annual groundcover for me. They are low-growing and spread across the soil surface, blooming constantly until the first freeze.

The 'Profusion' series comes in several colors: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher[common]=zinnia&searcher[family]=&searcher[genus]=&searcher[species]=&searcher[cultivar]=profusion&searcher[hybridizer]=&searcher[grex]=&search_prefs[blank_cultivar]=&search_prefs[sort_by]=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

Jeremy

This message was edited Jun 20, 2011 5:24 PM

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 20, 2011
3:26 PM

Post #8643108

Red-flowered and white-flowered Dwarf Turk's Cap (Malvaviscus drummondii). I think these came to my by way of Molly? Sandy, now that they are flowering, we can try again to propagate both colors for you.

Jeremy

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 20, 2011
3:29 PM

Post #8643113

The odd, straight up perpendicularly vertical flower of Root Beer Plant, Hoja Santa (Piper auritum). Has anyone tried cooking any of the South American/Mexican dishes that use the leaves as a wrap for fish, etc.? I can't imagine the root beer flavor with fish, but it might be good.

Jeremy

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 20, 2011
4:27 PM

Post #8643213

I'm not sure how this camera "error" occurred, but I really like the resulting photo. I have a feeling it will end up as a large abstract oil painting someday (assuming that I ever stop playing in my garden and actually get around to painting again! LOL).

Jeremy

flaflwrgrl
North Central , FL
(Zone 8b)

June 20, 2011
4:28 PM

Post #8643215

I really like that big snow daylily Jeremy! Nice photos too.
flaflwrgrl
North Central , FL
(Zone 8b)

June 20, 2011
4:31 PM

Post #8643222

Oh what a cool photo Jeremy! It would make a nice painting. Or even get that photo blown up, frame it & hang it. Nice colors. Just goes to show how sometimes the best things that happen are by accident.

Ann
Amaryllisgal
High Springs, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 22, 2011
4:47 AM

Post #8646326

Jeremy, I wonder if that's the same red dwarf I gave Molly years ago? If so, it's nice to see it's still going strong!

Maybe some folks who are much more organized than I already do this, but it would be cool to pass along a written provenance of plants we get from others. Of course, it's all I can do to make labels, much less keep up with a plant's history, so this sure won't start with me!
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2011
11:50 AM

Post #8647095

Here's my heavenly "Sweet Almond". When it blooms the scent is wonderful.
I got mine at Butterfly World. They said to dead head it and it would keep blooming. And it has.

Thumbnail by sugarweed

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2011
11:52 AM

Post #8647105

Here is one of my deck rail boxes.

Thumbnail by sugarweed

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 22, 2011
12:26 PM

Post #8647179

Thanks all for the comments on the photos!

Sidney - If you put the flowering almond (Aloysia virgata) in the ground, be sure to give it lots of room. I had no idea the 1 ft twig I stuck in the ground a few years ago would soon be taller than my 2-story house! My Aloysia blooms throughout the summer without much attention. It does tend to have a very leggy, almost weedy, limb growth, so I do spend some time cutting off the unwanted sucker limbs.
I am trying to root the sucker limbs and getting a few to take, so I should have flowering almond to give away soon. Does anyone know how it got the "almond" common name applied. I don't think the aroma is really like an almond scent, and the tree is definitely not in the almond genus (Prunus - which covers just about any fruit or nut with a pit).

Jeremy

This message was edited Jun 22, 2011 2:56 PM
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 22, 2011
1:00 PM

Post #8647249

Here's a bouquet of flowering almond that I sat on the kitchen windowsill. The sweet aroma didn't seem to last when the flowers were cut, but I think some of the twigs may be about to root in the water vase, so I'm leaving them be for a while.

Jeremy

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 22, 2011
1:06 PM

Post #8647256

Norma - it may have been you that gave me the Malvaviscus - dwarf Turk's Cap, or maybe I got them through Molly via your garden. I do feel bad at times when I know that a treasured plant came to me as a gift and I don't know for sure who it was that gave it to me, but like you, if I ever get around to putting a label on plants, that is about as much recordkeeping as I can handle! LOL

Photo: Breck's Lily Tree 'Boogie Woogie" -- in their third year of growing, they are finally living up to being labeled a lily "tree." They were only about 1 ft tall the first year, about 3 ft the second, and finally about 6 ft tall this year with a lot more flowers than previous seasons.

Jeremy

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 22, 2011
1:10 PM

Post #8647262

I was surprised to find out that Russian Sage is not truly a sage (salvia) -- and also not truly Russian (from central Asia: Iran, Pakistan, Afghanistan).

Russian Sage - Perovskia atriplicifolia http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/733/

Jeremy

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2011
7:43 PM

Post #8650314

Hi all,
Thank you Jeremy for ID plants. I now know I have passiflora incense for the butterflies, also a turks cap from someone at RU and a rootbeer plant from my dgts. hair dresser in Madison. All are growing very well. BTW I have 2 of your blue sky vines and they are doing very well. One is in all shade and ready to start climbing up a tree and the other is in shade until 3:30 then full sun and I have it near a trellis.
The yellow cestrum are doing great. Silk tree from John has new shoots.
I think plant roundups are wonderful. New friends and new plants. Also, more knowledge about Fl. gardening.
Bonnie

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2011
7:46 PM

Post #8650331

Bonnie

where is Clermont??? I'm still learning the towns (that is what 25+ years away from home will do to ya...).

I agree, plant roundups are wonderful.

Jan
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 24, 2011
12:31 PM

Post #8651875

Glad the plants are doing well, Bonnie! The sky vines (Thunbergia grandiflora) will get VERY large within a single growing season, so give them lots of room with firm supports. My sky vines die back to the ground here in winter, but they may be more hardy in your area.

Before I show my total ignorance in the I.D. Forum, can anyone provide a name for this shrub/tree. I apparently planted it several years ago, but lost sight of it when smilax and other vines overtook the area where it was planted. I rediscovered the shrub/tree when I cleaned up that area of my yard in preparation for installing the above-ground pool. I tied a strip of thin plastic around the trunk to give myself a means of knowing it was something I planted. It's a good thing the plastic was there -- otherwise it would probably have been ripped out in the cleanup.

I'm sure it is a fairly common shrub/tree, but it is not one that I can put a name to. I am ready to be completely embarrassed if it turns out to be something present everywhere. LOL Any help will be appreciated! If I were to give it a common name, I would call it "Poison Ivy Tree" because the leaves greatly resemble the shape of poison ivy, though it doesn't have any skin irritants.

Jeremy

This message was edited Jun 24, 2011 2:34 PM

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 24, 2011
12:33 PM

Post #8651877

Another view of the mystery shrub/tree:

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 24, 2011
3:53 PM

Post #8652315

Dogwood?
;)
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 25, 2011
6:10 PM

Post #8654504

No clue...

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2011
5:47 AM

Post #8655205

Dale
beautiful.

Jan
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 26, 2011
9:31 AM

Post #8655524

Thanks Jan

We have been having very light rain since 7am here in south Tampa

Almost a half inch so far

moe fleurs>

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2011
10:23 AM

Post #8655646

Here's a pot of OSP with some Dracenia (sp?)

Thumbnail by sugarweed

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2011
10:33 AM

Post #8655665

Here's my box of herbs.
I am so in love with boxwood basil. It has to be dead headed daily.

Thumbnail by sugarweed

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2011
11:09 AM

Post #8655713

sugarweed

so to grow herbs here in s. FL do they have to be in filtered shade?

Dale
from your pictures I'm think you have a botanical garden at your home... I'm come through Tampa to see my sister every 3 weeks, next time your garden is open for touring please let me know...

Jan
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2011
11:24 AM

Post #8655733

Remember he's just moved into a new place Jan.
He gardens professionally, so many of his pictures are clients.
The main secret to growing herbs in Florida is to separate the thyme and other herbs that thrive with very little water away from those that want water.
My Nastys are about gone for the summer. I'll plant new ones in the Fall.
The flowers and all of most of my herbs are edible. I put whole cloves around them to discourage squirrels.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2011
11:43 AM

Post #8655761

Oh, I see, thanks for getting me on track, but still to have that kind of talent,, Dale you can come to my place anytime to create in it...LOL

Jan
Interlude
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2011
1:01 PM

Post #8655875

One of those "...I'm cleaning out my lily beds, do you want some bulbs?" from a neighbor. Has taken a couple of years to bloom. Does anyone know what it may be? Type, variety, hybrid, or just "some common lily"?? - I think the color is quite unique, but it may be ordinary to the lily folk. - Close up to follow..

john

Thumbnail by Interlude

Interlude
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2011
1:03 PM

Post #8655880

Close up of lily...

Thumbnail by Interlude

Amaryllisgal
High Springs, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2011
4:48 PM

Post #8656337

John, looks like you have nice crinum there - related to amaryllis - not a true lily. There's a variety named "Ellen Bosanquet" that's passed along quite often and looks similar to yours.
Rene10
Wauchula, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 26, 2011
5:50 PM

Post #8656430

I agree, Crinum
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2011
7:08 PM

Post #8656573

Yep, I rescued and planted about 3 bushels of those a few years back. Not a single one ever bloomed. Lots of work for Nada!
Rene10
Wauchula, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 27, 2011
7:57 AM

Post #8657432

I've never had much sucess with thm either!
ApopkaJohn
Apopka, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 27, 2011
4:17 PM

Post #8658315

yes those pink amaryllis/crinum grow like weeds around here.

Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn

ApopkaJohn
Apopka, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 27, 2011
4:22 PM

Post #8658320

Everglades Tomatoes are easy to grow in the summer heat. Sorry mine are all smaller than grapes and tend to drop-off when fully ripe. Haven't tried fertilizer on them yet. Nice treat for me to munch- on during my watering/weeding journeys through the garden.

Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn

ApopkaJohn
Apopka, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 27, 2011
4:25 PM

Post #8658323

Everglades Tomatoe Foliage seems to be pest-free at this point, even with no spray.

Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn

ApopkaJohn
Apopka, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 27, 2011
4:31 PM

Post #8658332

Mallow, French Hollyhock 'Mystic Merlin'
Malva sylvestris

These holly hock / hibiscus survived through the frost and finally decided to bloom. Rated for zone 8. Not supposed to survive the tropical heat, so will probably perish before they set seed.

This message was edited Jun 27, 2011 6:35 PM

Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn

ApopkaJohn
Apopka, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 27, 2011
4:34 PM

Post #8658339

These wilt in the hot sun, but otherwise seem to be easy to grow, except they didn't bloom the first year.

Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2011
8:01 PM

Post #8658850

Great pictures of the everglade tomato.
I have several of those up from seed, so hope to harvest a salad's worth daily in a month or two. Even the T-tiniest taste like a mater!
Sidney
Amaryllisgal
High Springs, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 28, 2011
12:25 PM

Post #8660226

Gorgeous flowers (and tomatoes) ApopkaJohn!
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 2, 2011
2:11 PM

Post #8668337

Been off for a while, slammed with work...Jeremy, it's no doubt you got the small turks cap from either Norma or myself. The ones she gave me when I was in S. Fla, came up here with me and they still thrive. They are in the Orchid house and now out in the barnyard garden. Very reliable plants. Come back every year.

John, I love those hollyhock hibs. So pretty. After being outside today looking in the gardens after work, I wonder, tropical heat? I am in zone 8 b and it's hot as all get out and has been since May.

Global warming, yeah it's hotter in the summers and colder in the winters!!!????

I had a passing thought the other day...might be better to garden up north where the growing season is pretty set...no, nevermind, an insane thought!

Molly
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 2, 2011
10:47 PM

Post #8669032

Insane indeed!
;)

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 3, 2011
1:27 PM

Post #8670001

Molly,

have you lost your mind to think such a thing... LOL

Jan
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 3, 2011
1:48 PM

Post #8670035

Yes, I did for a minute...but I think I have recovered.

Been enjoying my day off. Pulling weeds, deadheading, watering plants, cleaning the pool and playing cards here.

Will take a dip this evening after the sun goes down. Have to work tomorrow so have really enjoyed this day off.

Molly
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 6, 2011
2:03 PM

Post #8676569

I haven't made it to the library for the past few days (also the library was closed for the 4th) but have a few more minutes before I have to run to catch the bus to take me home.

Thanks, Molly/Norma, for the dwarf Turk's Cap! It is truly a wonderful plant. I am passing some along to Sandy when I am able to find a freshly rooted sprig.

A canna I got at the roundup just flowered. Very attractive light orange flower with slender petals. I unfortunately don't have enough of a mind to remember who gave it to me, but great thanks! I don't have my flash drive with me but will post a photo soon.

I like the Everglades tomatoes, but couldn't get over remembering the common name of "outhouse tomato." Everytime I ate one, my sense memory would bring on a whiff of the outhouse of my earliest years and the taste of the tomato was spoiled by that recollection. LOL I have a volunteer tomato that is doing very well. It came up by the front azalea bed and I left it there. It has tomatoes about the size of the Campari tomatoes in the clam shell packs at the grocery store. I only bought those once when they were on sale, but maybe I happened to toss a tomato seed out the front door with some other garbage for immediate compost in situ.

Sidney - I don't think my mystery shrub is Dogwood, though I considered that possibility also. I suppose I will have to break down and show my ignorance and post the photos in the I.D. Forum. I'm sure it will turn out to be something fairly common, but it is unlike anything I've seen and don't recall where I got it.

Off to the bus!

Jeremy
islandgirl37
Marathon, FL
(Zone 11)

July 6, 2011
7:13 PM

Post #8677113

My entire yard smells like Juicy Fruit Gum mixed with Jasmine. My Michelia Alba is in full bloom. So many blooms the branches are drooping. What a wonderful fragrance!!

Thumbnail by islandgirl37

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 7, 2011
3:41 PM

Post #8678864

Beautiful photo, islandgirl! I grow Banana Shrub (Michelia figo) here in Jacksonville. I didn't know there were so many wonderful Michelia species with different colored flowers and flower types!! Just what I need -- another plant to add to my list of "things I must possess." LOL http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher[common]=&searcher[family]=&searcher[genus]=Michellia&searcher[species]=&searcher[cultivar]=&searcher[hybridizer]=&searcher[grex]=&search_prefs[blank_cultivar]=&search_prefs[sort_by]=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search&searcher[genus]=Michelia

Photo - Pacific Chrysanthemum (Ajania pacifica http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/992/ ) - a gift from my wonderful DG friend, margaran. It is not a chrysanthemum as the common name might imply, but the silvery foliage makes a wonderful low-growing ground cover.

Jeremy

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 7, 2011
3:54 PM

Post #8678902

Let's see if I can share a few more photos before my time is up on the library computer.

Wild cucumber. (Melothria pendula) I made the mistake about 8 years ago of thinking that the little yellow flowers on long vines were pretty, and the tiny little "cucumbers" were an oddity. I am paying for that mistake now by having this plant overrun much of my garden. I pull it out by the bucketsful, but it just keeps coming back! It is a Florida native plant, so it has more right to be here than me, I suppose. I came across some info a few years ago that it is a rare and endangered species in some U.S. states. I would gladly ship a railcar load of it to any state that wants to replenish their supply!

Some comments in Plant Files say it is edible while others say it is mildly toxic and can cause diarrhea. I think I will forego the experiment to find out for myself. LOL

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 7, 2011
4:00 PM

Post #8678919

Fig of unknow variety. It is a sucker I took from my deceased Mom's Fig that is decades old. My fig is FINALLY beginning to show some signs of growing taller after about 8 years of sitting at about 1 ft high. My Mom's fig grew over the septic tank drain field, so the tree was humongous and made lots of fruit. I guess I need to fertilize this sapling more.

Jeremy

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 7, 2011
4:02 PM

Post #8678922

Jerusalem Thorn (Parkinsonia aculeata) - I got it last year at the Men's Garden Club plant sale at the Jacksonville Fair. I think it remained evergreen all winter.

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 7, 2011
4:09 PM

Post #8678926

Spiral Ginger in flower. Like most ginger flowers, the showy part is actually bracts with the actual flower being smaller and less distinct. I think this one may be Costus pulverulentus http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1035/ Funny factoid - I just did a Google search for "Costus" and all the pages that come up have to do with how much things "cost us." The Internet search tools are apparently not yet perfect. LOL

Jeremy

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 7, 2011
4:15 PM

Post #8678942

Rattlesnake Plant (Calathea insignis http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/128778/ ). This grows under the eave of my shed which is a slightly protected spot in winter, but the plant has proven to be very hardy having come through the last two winters with 20s F sustained temperatures. It is usually sold as a tropical houseplant.

Jeremy

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2011
5:02 PM

Post #8679056

incredible pic jaxflagardener

Jan

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 10, 2011
8:50 AM

Post #8683730

Hey to all my gardening friends...was at Flagler beach for a couple weeks camping in our RV...got some pictures of some wildflowers while there and thought I'd share them with ya all...

Beach Morning glory

Thumbnail by sunkissed

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 10, 2011
8:54 AM

Post #8683739

Here is some beach sunflowers mixed with morning glories...lot of this on the beach dunes in Flagler county.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 10, 2011
8:57 AM

Post #8683751

I'm not sure what this is...maybe someone knows, but sure was pretty, this is kind of blurry, growing with some Indian blanket flowers

Thumbnail by sunkissed

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 10, 2011
8:58 AM

Post #8683756

Here is a close up of unknown flower

Thumbnail by sunkissed

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 10, 2011
8:59 AM

Post #8683762

Distant shot showing them growing out in the hot sandy coast on Inlet side of beach

Thumbnail by sunkissed

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 10, 2011
9:00 AM

Post #8683765

Not sure what this one is either, sorry so blurry

Thumbnail by sunkissed

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 10, 2011
9:00 AM

Post #8683771

Another one not so blurry

Thumbnail by sunkissed

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 10, 2011
9:02 AM

Post #8683779

Indian blanket starting to go to seed...all over Flagler beach

Thumbnail by sunkissed

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 10, 2011
9:03 AM

Post #8683783

close up of Indian blanket and Spanish needles

Thumbnail by sunkissed

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 11, 2011
12:58 PM

Post #8686289

The tall red-flowering UFO (unidentified flowering object) appears to be Standing Cypress (Ipomopsis rubra http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/62372/ ) A wonderful native plant I've been trying to grow in my garden for years, but can't find a spot where it is happy.

Jeremy
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 11, 2011
1:09 PM

Post #8686308

I'm typing uncharacteristically short messages today because the library computer is threatening me with imminent disconnection.

The Beach Morning Glory appears to be Ipomoea pes-caprae (http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/808/ ), but there are several other Beach Morning Glories, so I'm not certain of the I.D. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher[common]=beach morning glory&searcher[family]=&searcher[genus]=&searcher[species]=&searcher[cultivar]=&searcher[hybridizer]=&searcher[grex]=&search_prefs[blank_cultivar]=&search_prefs[sort_by]=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

If it is Ipomoea pes-caprae, it is a native plant also known as Railroad Vine. The USF Atlas of Florida Vascular Plants botanically differentiates it further as Ipomoea pes-caprae subsp. brasiliensis. The species name translation is interesting: "pes-caprae = goat's foot" which probably refers to the shape of the leaves.

Jeremy
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 11, 2011
1:16 PM

Post #8686322

Hurrah! My online time has been extended by 45 minutes, so I may now revert to my customary loquaciousness. LOL

I don't think I've ever seen the plant with the lavender coloration. The color appears to be in the bracts or terminal leaves, rather than actually being the flower, so it may be a form of sedge grass, possibly something in the Dichromena genus with lavender coloration rather than the usual white?? http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1261/

Jeremy
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 11, 2011
1:17 PM

Post #8686326

Here's a photo of the very elegant light orange Canna I got at our recent DG Florida roundup. Many thanks to the donor of this beauty!

Jeremy

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 12, 2011
8:55 AM

Post #8687934

Thanks Jeremy for the plant ID...the Standing Cypress - (Ipomopsis rubra). I've never seen it there before, and I am there every forth of July yearly and always hike that area. I would imagine the drought conditions are favored by the plant...since seems to thrive in Texas from reading the threads. It was a striking flower indeed.
flaflwrgrl
North Central , FL
(Zone 8b)

July 12, 2011
7:12 PM

Post #8689244

Striking indeed! Took my breath away. Couldn't believe it was just growing wild there. Maybe someone has been doing a little wildflower spreading.
Jeremy, I have adored Parkinsonia since the early 80's when we moved to Tallahassee area & I first saw one. So pretty & have a nice lacy look or "see through" look. Terriffic small trees, beautiful in flower. Thorny, but they really don't need trimming so why worry about the thorns? They are quite tough plants, taking drought, heat, cold, humidity. They do & will grow down my way but I'll be danged if you can find one. Never understand why they aren't used in my area as they are so drought tolerant. I ask everytime I go to a nursery & can never find one. Such a shame.

Ann
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 14, 2011
1:29 PM

Post #8692283

My first encounter with Parkinsonia aculeata (Jerusalem Thorn) was at the Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens when I worked there a few years ago. The P. aculeata at the zoo is high above the entrance to the snake exhibit in The Range of the Jaguar. No one would probably notice the Parkinsonia is there in a large planting box in the roof garden. Another rare plant at the zoo which can't be found without a botanical tour guide is the X Fatshedera - a hybrid between English Ivy and Fatsia japonica that (supposedly) occurred naturally in a garden in France. That plant is located on a fence at the "servant's entrance" for The Range of the Jaguar restaurant. I've tried propagating the X Fatshedera a couple of times, with no results. I notice a couple of vendors in Plant Files has it for sale. I may break down eventually and actually buy one, but I hate paying shipping costs!

I got a few photos in my yard today:

Gaura 'Siskiyou Pink'

Jeremy

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 14, 2011
1:55 PM

Post #8692345

This light pink flowering Salvia seems to come closest to 'Stormy Pink', but I don't really know its cultivar name. Anyone have any info?

Jeremy

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 14, 2011
2:00 PM

Post #8692358

Buds forming on what I think is Sacred Jasmine (Jasminum sambac) but I may have gotten the tags mixed up and this is Poet's Jasmine (J. officinale) ?? It just started flowering recently. I haven't noticed much aroma from it yet. It dies to the ground in winter, so it never really gets a chance to reach its full potential.

Jeremy

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 14, 2011
2:04 PM

Post #8692369

Persicaria microcephala 'Red Dragon' Very easy to propagate. I grow it in a mostly shady spot near my goldfish pond.

This message was edited Jul 14, 2011 4:05 PM

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 14, 2011

Post #8692376

Juncus effusus 'Spiralis' I killed two of these plants before I finally saw someone growing it correctly (the pot standing in water). It survived the 20s F temperatures in a spot in my goldfish pond, somewhat protected by the canopy of a nearby cherry laurel tree.. It might do better in more sun.

Jeremy

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 14, 2011
2:12 PM

Post #8692380

I like to use palm tree trunks to make vertical planters. The trunks last forever or at least a decade or more. The top of the trunk will rot out naturally to make a planting space, but you can also use a hole saw bit or auger bit on a drill to take out some of the core of the palm trunk. I try to drag home palm tree trunks whenever I find them curbside, but now that the old van is no longer running, my scavaging and hoarding have been curtailed (a bit). LOL

Jeremy

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 14, 2011
2:14 PM

Post #8692383

Northfolk Island Pine (Araucaria heterophylla). I know these may be an invasive nuisance in south Florida, but they are marginally hardy in my area. I cover this one in a plastic tent in winter to keep its height.

Jeremy

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 14, 2011
2:19 PM

Post #8692389

Garden Phlox (Phlox paniculata). This Phlox has done well in my climate (mostly sun with some afternoon shade). This is different from the Phlox that blooms along the roadsides in spring (Phlox drummondii - a non-native).

Jeremy

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 14, 2011
2:21 PM

Post #8692393

My Staghorn Fern, recovering nicely from the 20s F winters. I may drop a blanket over it this winter to see if that will help it get larger. It has been in this spot for about 7 years and returns despite freezing to the roots each winter.

Jeremy

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 14, 2011
2:27 PM

Post #8692401

Kratom ( Mitragyna speciosa http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/161298/ ) An "ethnobotanical" plant, now illegal in its native home of Thailand, but still legal in Florida and most of the U.S. I've never heard any reports from anyone that experienced its effects.

Interesting to note the number of "Wanted" posts in Plant Files for this plant. LOL

Jeremy

This message was edited Jul 14, 2011 4:28 PM

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 14, 2011
2:37 PM

Post #8692408

Another legal "ethnobotanical" Dream Herb/Leaf of God Calea zacatechichi http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/104306/ This one, from what I've been told, was used in ceremonies by western native American tribes. Not sure what you need to do to get its effects, but the first time I pruned it (without eating or otherwise ingesting any of it), that night I had Cecil B. DeMille epic technicolor, surround sound, tactile and 3-D dreams. I was exhausted when I woke up the next morning from the vivid dreams. I avoid even brushing against it now. LOL

Jeremy

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 14, 2011
2:41 PM

Post #8692414

My hybrid tea and antique roses just went through a sudden flowering stage. I can't imagine why, other than we are past the summer solstice and they know some relief from the heat is on the way, or maybe a return of the rains after the prolonged dry months??

This is 'Blue Girl' -- a very fragrant blue-toned tea rose.

Jeremy

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 14, 2011
2:44 PM

Post #8692421

Native Hibiscus, Texas Star/Scarlet Rose Mallow (Hibiscus coccineus). The rains have definitely helped it to bloom.

Jeremy

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 14, 2011
2:49 PM

Post #8692432

This is some sort of Abelia, but I don't know which one. I got it as a throw-away shrub when I was working for a landscaper friend and we pulled the shrub out of someone's yard that didn't want it. It is now about 6 ft tall. It never gets really covered with blooms so it is not such a big impact when flowering, but the clusters of bell-shaped very white flowers are nice.

Jeremy

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 14, 2011
2:53 PM

Post #8692438

A Philodendron selloum. I found three roots of this plant on the curb a few months back and potted them up. This is one of the rescues (they all did as well). I just recently found another tossed out root that is slowly recovering. The P. selloum I already have are in fairly deep shade and never really spread. I suppose the ones that grow in more sun throw off lots of "pups" that homeowners toss out.

This is one of the plants the dern Lubber grasshoppers love to eat (which indicates the plant is probably poisonous to most critters). The P. selloum I have in the ground have been skeletonized by the Lubbers. The Lubbers eat poisonous plants to make themselves toxic to anyone that might want to eat them - frogs, lizards, birds -- all can die from eating Lubbers.

Jeremy

This message was edited Jul 14, 2011 4:55 PM

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 14, 2011
2:57 PM

Post #8692450

"Perennial" Collard Greens. My SIL gave me some collard plants several years ago. This one just happened to be planted in a place where it stays warm enough in winter and cool enough in summer to keep going year after year.

Jeremy

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 14, 2011
2:58 PM

Post #8692458

These weird liver-shaped mushrooms have been appearing in my yard. I don't think I've seen them in previous years. Anyone know what they might be??

Jeremy

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 14, 2011
2:59 PM

Post #8692462

This is part of my "Florida Friendly" jungle -- no lawn and no square inch left unplanted. LOL

Jeremy

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 14, 2011
3:01 PM

Post #8692467

View from the front porch steps. As you can see, I have lots of privacy from curious eyes of neighbors.

Jeremy

flaflwrgrl
North Central , FL
(Zone 8b)

July 14, 2011
4:08 PM

Post #8692571

Jeremy, Check it out ---- is your mushroom the Reishi mushroom?

http://images.sciencedaily.com/2008/04/080408175308-large.jpg

Also, you might try this site. Click on the easy key from the left hand menu --- might be the quickest way to find it.

http://www.rogersmushrooms.com

This message was edited Jul 14, 2011 6:20 PM
flaflwrgrl
North Central , FL
(Zone 8b)

July 14, 2011
4:28 PM

Post #8692603

While I was still searching for Jeremy's 'shroom; I came across this site which truly DOES have some AWESOME looking mushrooms! Take a look if you guys have a moment. I believe it will prove worth your time.

http://www.oddee.com/item_97309.aspx

Ann

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2011
7:04 PM

Post #8692895

jeremy

finally someone that thinks grass is way over rated in FL...

Jan

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 15, 2011
6:52 AM

Post #8693689

Ann that is a cool link...that blue mushroom is really something...and the bearded one.
Jeremy I have a mushroom just like yours this year...just saw it a couple days ago. Never seen one like it before.
Since we've been back to our usual afternoon showers I've seen mushrooms popping up all over. I always think I should carry my camera with me and photo some of them.
When we go in the fall to the mountains I see the greatest mushrooms.
This is a photo of one in Northeast SC off Lake Hartwell.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 15, 2011
6:53 AM

Post #8693693

This was a huge one...a bit unique

Thumbnail by sunkissed

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 15, 2011
6:56 AM

Post #8693699

Jan you should see my backyard...I have one tiny patch left of grass...used to have a dog and kept it for her to do her business on, since she passed my hammock is there now, only reason I keep grass there. Husband loves it, he thinks I should do the same in the front yard, then he'd never have to mow again. :)
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2011
7:34 AM

Post #8693729

Jeremy, any mushroom that turns indigo when scratched is psychedelic.
That's the total of my expertise.
Sidney

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2011
11:04 AM

Post #8694092

Sunkissed

I'm with your husband and never having to mow... the neighbours all around our rental house are nuts on watering and putting in plugs... too much work. A garden and yard should not work you to death.

I've never seen mushrooms that size before...

Jan
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2011
12:20 PM

Post #8694202

Great mushroom photos, sunkissed. The 2nd one (white one) looks like a Japanese artist's interpretation of an ocean wave (and no, I haven't been eating any indigo blue mushrooms in order to have that fanciful image LOL).

I just tried a search to find a photo/I.D. for my unknown brown kidney/liver mushroom, but no results that matched. The UF has a site where you can send photos of mushrooms for I.D., but they ask for several photos, touch/smell analysis, inspection of the underside, etc. I'm not sure I want to get that intimate with the brown mushroom. LOL

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ddis3

I have three primary guiding principles in my garden:
1. I love to garden, but hate to mow. So as little lawn grass as I can. I have one small strip of "lawn" about 3 ft wide out by the curb, but I'm considering getting rid of that, too. About the only weed in my garden that doesn't find a spot where I leave it alone is any type of lawn grass. I pull up anything that resembles lawn grass and toss it into the compost heap.
2. Leave no square inch unplanted! I've noticed that any bare soil in our subtropical climate will have some weed move in to claim it within a short time. I jam plants/shrubs/trees so tightly together that I barely have any use for mulches.
3. I want at least one of every plant that will grow in my Zone. I have more interest in having a botanical collection rather than anything resembling a traditional "landscape." I group plants generally by light and water requirements with some consideration given to color and texture combinations. I've noticed that having a lot of different plants without any one plant being a monoculture planting tends to reduce or eliminate pest and disease problems.

Here's a view from my the entrance of my driveway. There's a 2-story woodframe house in there somewhere! LOL

Jeremy

This message was edited Jul 15, 2011 2:22 PM

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2011
12:26 PM

Post #8694210

Does anyone recognize this flower? It has a bloom very similar to Mexican Petunia, but this plant has softer, hairier leaves and only grows about 6 inches tall. I recently found one of my homemade plant tags labeled "velvet leaf Ruellia" but there was no plant near the tag and the tag was no where near this plant, but that might be the I.D. But when I do a search for "velvet leaf Ruellia," I get nothing in Plant Files and photos of plants that don't look similar when doing a Google search. Please give it a name (especially if you gave it to me sometime within the past 9 years).

Jeremy

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2011
12:32 PM

Post #8694219

I thought this plant might be Sesbania herbaceae http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/92104/ but the flowers don't have the pea-flower shape of that Sesbania. I think I had an I.D. for it once, but can't recall it. Having been clobbered in the skull with a tire iron a few weeks ago and the subsequent brain hemmorhage, I now have a good excuse for a poor memory. LOL

Jeremy

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2011
12:34 PM

Post #8694224

Florida native coffee plant. It has one of the most descriptive botanical names of any plant: Psychotria nervosa. Makes me get the jitters just saying the name. LOL

Jeremy

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2011
12:36 PM

Post #8694226

A view of the Brugmansia (Angel Trumpets) garden. I haven't had enough fertilizer on hand this year to keep them flowering on a regular basis. They are definitely "heavy feeders" if you want to have lots of blooms.

Jeremy

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2011
12:40 PM

Post #8694228

Pokeweed berries. Phytolacca americana. A native plant that provides a good food source for wild birds. The first few leaves that emerge from the roots in spring can be eaten and are the famous "polk salat" of the "Poke Salad Annie" song. After the plant begins to grow, the leaves are poisonous. The berries may also be used to make natural fabric dyes.

Jeremy

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2011
12:42 PM

Post #8694230

A view of the bromeliad stump garden.

Jeremy

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2011
12:45 PM

Post #8694238

One of Sandy's seedlings that she brought to the roundup. Leonurus sibericus. It just bloomed for the first time within the last few days. Anyone else get one of these at the roundup? Thanks, Sandy. It is very attractive!

Jeremy

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2011
12:48 PM

Post #8694242

Hens and Chicks (Sempervivum ssp.) that is putting up a flower stalk. This one has survived the past two winters with 20s F temperatures with no special protection.

Jeremy

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2011
12:50 PM

Post #8694244

Plume Flower (Justicia carnea) growing low and blooming close to the ground - maybe in too much shade?

Jeremy

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2011
1:00 PM

Post #8694255

A view of the hummingbird/butterfly garden with the "dharma wheel." The wheel is half of one of the old type electric wire spools that the utility companies used to haul wire to installation sites. I got the wheel from our local Zen meditation hall. The wheel was part of the trash that was in the yard when the Zens bought the property. Since the wheel came from the Zens, I deduced it must be the dharma wheel of Buddhism symbolizing the Wheel of Buddhist Law, the endless cycle of birth and rebirth. Funny thing that they tossed out the law! LOL After having the wheel for a while, I discovered the two halves came apart easily with just a few screws to loosen. If you can find one of these (they are sometimes still seen abandoned by the roadside), they also make a good divider for an herb garden if you lay one of the halves on the ground and use the spokes of the wheel to divide herb plants into pie wedges.

Jeremy

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2011
1:03 PM

Post #8694264

Tree Dahlias (Dahlia imperialis) living up to the implications of their common name. They are currently about 12 ft high and still growing. They don't bloom until late November, and continue flowering up until the first freeze, when the entire plant dies back to the ground. These are really better suited for south Florida where they might be able to grow through the winter and continue flowering. Dahlia imperialis is the official National Flower of Mexico.

Jeremy

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2011
1:04 PM

Post #8694269

I think this lily came in a grab bag of cheap bulbs from Breck's Bulbs.

Jeremy

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2011
1:07 PM

Post #8694272

A "true jasmine" - Arabian Jasmine/Sacred Jasmine (Jasminum sambac http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/83168/

This plant would also be happier in south Florida. It dies to the ground in the winter in my climate and barely has a chance to recover before getting knocked down again.

Jeremy

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2011
1:08 PM

Post #8694274

View from the front door.

Jeremy

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 15, 2011
1:40 PM

Post #8694318

Jeremy your mystery flower may be this, I have some and it looks very similar, don't know where I ever obtained it from, but grows under my philodendrons and has been there for a good five years or more, the leaves are soft with fuzzy hair on them.

Desert Petunia, Florida Bluebells, Mexican Petunia, Mexican Blue Bells
Ruellia squarrosa 'Blue Shade'

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/38180/
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2011
2:36 PM

Post #8694415

Thanks, sunkissed! I think you are correct. When I looked up "velvet leaf Ruellia," I found a reference to Ruellia macrantha http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/38211/ , but the Ruellia squarrosa looks closer to my plant. The R. squarrosa seems to have flatter flowers, as does my plant.

This info from the Missouri Botanical Garden seems weird: "Sink pots to the rim at the edge of ponds or water gardens." Mine are growing in relatively dry soil beneath my azaleas. From what I can find out, R. squarrosa is native to Mexico/South America.

Jeremy

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 16, 2011
9:01 AM

Post #8695712

Jeremy my Ruellia is in mostly shaded but not in the irrigation system, just had water or rain...so they do well in dry conditions, and they only get a little bit of freeze damage but have survived all the freezing temps we've been having. I have some growing in a flower pot now close by to where the original plant is, so they must reseed easily also. Glad I was actually able to ID a plant for you, since you do me the favor all the time. :)
flaflwrgrl
North Central , FL
(Zone 8b)

July 18, 2011
7:50 PM

Post #8700793

Jeremy, Check the Sennas or Cassias for the yellow flower.

Well, I might as well let the cat out of the bag. DH & I have bought 5 ac. in Lake City, Fl. We will have to build a home on it (UGH!!!!!!!!). Came here house hunting but none of the houses "spoke" to us & then we laid eyes on this property & the property spoke volumes to our souls. There was nothing we could do but buy it. It pulled so at us. One photo of it is the one starting this thread. I think we will be in zone 8b here. Have been too busy to check for sure. Am going to need MUCH advice from you guys about plants & trees here. Hope I don't bug you too much. Will post more photos soon. Will need ID's on many trees & such. Property is rolling hills, meadows & centuries old moss draped Live Oaks. The sound of the birds is beautiful, there are so many singing every time we go there Many brown thrashers, swallow tailed kites. Jays, mockingbirds, cardinals & many I don't yet know the name of. Need to get an ID book for here. Saw a fox eat a squirrel less than 100 ft. away from us last month. Have decided to turn the meadows into wildflower meadows.
Right now I need to ask & need you to be brutally honest about sweet viburnum. Need a screen from some buildings on the adjoining property & need them to be thick & not require a lot of care, pruning, watering once established. Want them to cover us from ground level up to at least 10 ft.high, EVERGREEN! Need them to be reasonable in price. These need to be 6' high when planted out to begin with. This is not something we can wait for them to grow to that height. Other plants I can start small & wait but this screen needs to be "instant" if you catch my drift. If sweet viburnum won't do then put on your thinking caps & suggest things.I thought Leyland Cypress would be the answer but understand there is a disease killing them in Fl. & the local nurseries aren't carrying them any more. I thought maybe it was bunk till I looked around & saw it's true --- have seen some with it & it seems to spread FAST. Not in the more northern states yet if it ever gets there.
Catch you later,
Ann

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2011
2:12 PM

Post #8702165

Ann how exciting,

now many won't agree with me, but if you want a fast screen, I would suggest one of the "CLUMPING" bamboo varieties. The will provide a screen in no time at all. Plus they do better in storms then most trees, as they sway and bend with the flow so to speak...LOL

check out this site to look at some, http://www.bambooweb.info

I sure wish we could find 5 acres, as I would put in nothing but the clumping bamboo...

Jan
(who is boo nuts right now)
flaflwrgrl
North Central , FL
(Zone 8b)

July 19, 2011
4:10 PM

Post #8702423

I thank you heartily Jan but I have had experience with bamboo & although I think it's beautiful I don't want 5 ac. of it which is what I know I will have in short order if I plant it. I especially love the black bamboo but will leave the bamboo to those like yourself who are as you put it "boo nuts right now".

Ann

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2011
3:51 AM

Post #8703063

come on Ann clumpers aren't bad, it is the runners you really have to keep up with... I understand. I just love your place. We still have 5 acres back in Kentucky (DH is from there) that I wish I could have down here...

Jan
flaflwrgrl
North Central , FL
(Zone 8b)

July 20, 2011
7:23 AM

Post #8703335

Thanks Jan. I wish you could move the 5 ac. in Kaintuck down here too. Gets too cold when you get older to take the winters much farther north of here. At least for DH & I --- we have no natural "insulation" on our bodies. LOL!
In this photo you can see the "guest cottage" which is on the adjoining property & that's what we want to hide from our view. We feel the owners are going to rent that out to help pay their mtg. & they are young---25 & 22 so we hope it doesn't turn into "party central". There is another guest cottage you can't see which is to the right of the one in the photo. The metal shed thing was on our property but when we made the deal with the owner he wanted to take the shed & we agreed --- so it is no longer there. The whole 5 ac. is field fenced. YAY!!!!!!

Thumbnail by flaflwrgrl

flaflwrgrl
North Central , FL
(Zone 8b)

July 20, 2011
7:24 AM

Post #8703342

More photos...

Looking to the rear & where the people have a horse pasture.

Thumbnail by flaflwrgrl

flaflwrgrl
North Central , FL
(Zone 8b)

July 20, 2011
7:25 AM

Post #8703352

Looking toward the front of the property

Thumbnail by flaflwrgrl

Amaryllisgal
High Springs, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 20, 2011
10:32 AM

Post #8703877

Flaflwrgrl, that's great news about your moving to this part of the state! And what a lovely piece of property, too. Plenty of room for Roundups, LOL!

I don't have any advice about the viburnum, but I would suggest planting some wax myrtle (Myrica cerifera) in a few spots. It's native, evergreen, good for wildlife, and grows to about 20' in ideal conditions. To me, it looks better at a distance, but it works well mixed in with oak trees. If you check around (Craigslist, maybe?) you may be able to find someone who'll allow you to dig it up from their property for free.

Norma
flaflwrgrl
North Central , FL
(Zone 8b)

July 20, 2011
11:00 AM

Post #8703952

Thanks Norma!
I had planned on planting some wax myrtle as well as a few other trees of varying kinds & a few bushes & such --- trying to stick with natives mostly. I also plan to do some Crepe myrtles --- they are so pretty & I do love them. I agree that wax myrtle looks better from a distance but it's a gentler look than oaks. I like mixed textures.
Had to run earlier for a Dr. appt. & have just finished lunch. Will be back later & post a couple more photos.

Ann

PS --- RE: Roundups... That has crossed my mind. Have to get the house built first!

This one is looking toward the rear of the property from about 1/3 from the front line.

Thumbnail by flaflwrgrl

flaflwrgrl
North Central , FL
(Zone 8b)

July 20, 2011
11:28 AM

Post #8703988

The line of oaks runs MOL diagonally beginning east of center in the front & running westward to the rear corner. We do not plan to cut any of them down. Some limbs need to be cut as you can see on the photo which starts this thread. It has 3 giant limbs coming off very low & they reach out at least 40' barely missing the ground in places. We will cut those which will allow us to be able to see the wonderful vista which they now block. There are a couple of Hickory trees in the oak line & I'll be taking photos so you guys can help me ID some of the trees & different oaks. I want to make all the meadow parts you see in the photos into wildflower meadows. The deed restrictions say we have to mow twice between May & Nov. COOL! The guy who does the mowing charges $115 per time. I can handle that. He mows in July & the end of Oct. Perfect. The phlox & such will have gone to seed by July & be ready to be cut & come back in spring. There are gallardias that have volunteered. Cherokee Bean & there's a lot I haven't ID'd yet.

Thumbnail by flaflwrgrl

flaflwrgrl
North Central , FL
(Zone 8b)

July 20, 2011
11:43 AM

Post #8704026

This one is standing in front of the limbs that block the view & looking toward the front line & across the street.

The big problem is going to be building. Finding a contractor. We already had a problem with one guy. He put the culvert in & was supposed to put shell rock (or lime rock whichever you want to call it) over the fill dirt. He didn't do it; yet promptly sent me the bill. If he doesn't do it then I have a guy who will & the charge is $300 which I will deduct from the original guys bill. I am normally a very agreeable person but cross me & you'll find out not only do I have a backbone but I have fangs.

I hear you thinking..."didn't you get it in writing first?" This is how it went: I told him we were ready for the culvert; to do the paperwork & email it to me FIRST. Instead he ran & got the permit & did the job. I have the documentation. Take me to court JACK! Try it.

Sorry guys... a little venting there. Have a feeling I'm going to be venting a lot for a while but it really riles me when someone trys to take me for a fool. Slick Willies had best beware.

Ann

Thumbnail by flaflwrgrl

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 21, 2011
7:00 AM

Post #8705725

Flaflwrgrl that is a very nice looking piece of land. Best of luck to you in building what I imagine will be your dream home. Not too far from me now. Sounds like you have a lot ahead of you. Once your home is built you can have a round up there and we all can come and see the final product. :)

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2011
6:39 PM

Post #8707317

just a real gem of property you have, with all those trees to start with... I hope you have a house plan already...

Jan
flaflwrgrl
North Central , FL
(Zone 8b)

July 21, 2011
7:18 PM

Post #8707429

Thanks all. Yes, we have a houseplan --- it just has to be drawn up by an expert yet & the engineering on the plan done.
We're in a very casual stage of life. Very simple & functional. Deed restrictions say min. 1400 s.f. Fine. Want a 3 side 5 or 6 ft. deep screened in, roofed over wrap around porch as I like to be outside a lot (especially with that view & property), a 2 car garage. Hardi board siding, hip or modified hip style roof, gas fireplace, gas stove & range top, gas HWH, 2BR, 2 Bath, pantry in kitchen & inside laundry room, sm. office. NO granite countertops. Formica suits me fine. don't like stainless steel appliances. Don't like carpet. I like these vinyl "planks" which are 6" x 3' & you have no idea how much they look like real wood! Wear like iron, easy to clean & no tile grout to deal with. Put them throughout the entire house. I'll stick one or two small area rugs in & that's pretty much it. Would like crown molding but... Oh, do want vaulted ceiling in open LR/Kitchen area. Have ZERO use for dining room. Will have a sit at bar at the kitchen. period. Simple. Nothing fancy.

My dream house? Awwww, those are just dreams and they change with where you are in your life at any given point. But let me say that the dream would require a maid, yard guy, man of all work ...blah, blah, blah Well, that USED to be my dream house. But dream houses are rarely realistic & even more rarely prove to be the panacea people imagine them to be. They should remain dreams. IMHO.

Ann
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 22, 2011
12:47 PM

Post #8708898

Congratulations on the new property, Ann! It is really a beautiful space and I'm sure you will find much contentment there. I certainly know about a property "speaking" to you and saying that it must be purchased. It was that way with my house and yard. I was amazed, especially, that the house was in my limited price range (about 9 years ago when houses still had some value! LOL), because the owner was really anxious to unload the house since she had another house and two mortgages was too much and her renters had been bad news.

Near you in Lake City are Judy (juja on Dave's Garden) and Becky - both Master Gardeners that attended our recent roundup at Norma's place. They will be able to provide you some good advice on your growing conditions.

For a screen, I would suggest Yellow Cestrum (Cestrum aurantiacum), if you can find it anywhere for sale. It is evergreen in my climate and flowers from earliest spring until the first freeze, and will even flower right through the winter in milder winters.

Another reliable standby would be Japanese Yew (Podocarpus gracilis). You would need to buy them large, which may be expensive. They are slow-growing when small because they take several years to send a tap root down to Hades before putting on much top growth. Once established, they will grow 2 - 3 ft per year (I prune mine annually to keep them to size).

I would second the suggestion for bamboo. You just need to look for the clumping varieties (anyone of them in the Bambusa genus). If in doubt, you can check for a groove on the side. If the bamboo stem has a groove, it is a spreader. No groove is a clumper. Also, you can put down a vinyl sheet on each side of a spreading bamboo (the vinyl should be about 3 ft deep and come to the top of the soil). That will provide a barrier to keep the bamboo only in the line where it is wanted. It is a lot of work, though, to dig a trench big enough to install the vinyl barrier (I know because a friend paid me to do that task once and it was back-breaking work for about a week!).

Jeremy
flaflwrgrl
North Central , FL
(Zone 8b)

July 22, 2011
4:36 PM

Post #8709330

Thank you Jeremy for the suggestions. I will certainly check out the Yellow cestrum. I think I recall you or someone posting a photo of them in bloom sometime in the last 6 months.
Funny you should mention the Podocarpus gracilis. Down south I had 4 Podocarpus Gracillior which we planted to be used as tree form. They are breathtaking & we love them. When planted; they were not that impressive, christmas tree shape, & a bit thin coverage wise. We were also using those a screens from neighboring 2nd story windows so we had to shell out the money for ones that tipped out at 10' to begin with. We cut the lower branches to standardize them & as they grew kept cutting the lower branches until we could walk under them. 4 yrs. & they were thick, non see through & we were having a tough time keeping them tipped to 17-18' tall. Funny, I was told & much info. on the net says they are slow growers but those babies GREW!!!!! It took them about a year & then they took off like rockets. The main trunk size 4 yrs. after planting is awesome compared to when we got them. What appeared to be twig trunks when we planted them are now 8-10" in diameter. We adore them so much, they are such graceful looking, fir looking, trees. We really intended to plant some on this property but everything I can find on them in particular says it's just too cold for them. I realize the P. gracilis is different than the gracillior but will check pout the diff. ones in the gracilis group to see if one exists that is much like the gracillior. We were heartbroken that it appeared we could not have the gracilliors here. Thanks Jeremy! All hope is NOT lost. I knew that the traditional Podocarpus with the wider leaves which are so often used as hedges grew here but not the others.

Ann
Amaryllisgal
High Springs, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 25, 2011
1:47 PM

Post #8714556

Ann, if you haven't already considered it, I highly recommend getting a tankless water heater. We installed one (propane) when we bought our current home a couple of years ago and the energy savings are significant compared to an electric tank model. Plus, it qualified for a tax credit, so it paid for itself in about a year.

Over the past 2 years we've averaged around 5 gallons of propane per month to run the water heater, stove (which I use ALOT), and the fireplace once in a while during really cold days.
ApopkaJohn
Apopka, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 25, 2011
4:44 PM

Post #8714865

Hi Ann, This third generation flower bed has produced 14 Trillion seeds of domesticated Black Eye Susan, Rudbecking. (One seed for each dollar of the national debt.) These will naturalize easily as annuals. Very long bloom time.
The best way to start a prarie is to use roundup on various spots, or Solarize with some plastic and bricks.
Sounds like you are already planning on your garden "rooms" to improve the view.
For a quantity of wildflower seed, Dmail me.

Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn

flaflwrgrl
North Central , FL
(Zone 8b)

July 25, 2011
6:46 PM

Post #8715170

Amaryllisgal, I was thinking EXACTLY that! I wanted a tankless HWH & I love gas for that & cooking & wanted a gas fireplace so we are on the same page there. Glad to hear of your great savings in those areas. 5 gals. of propane per month is NOT much!

John, thanks for the info. & tips. Really nice photo John! They have seeded the roadsides up here with those, gallardias, coreopsis, phlox & some others & it looked beautiful!!!! Of course the phlox have succumbed to the heat now but I will be looking forward to seeing them again next year. I will certainly dmail you re: the quantity seed. Actually; I had made myself a post it note to call the county road dept. to see who did that for them so I could find out how as well as where to get the bulk seed. So I can throw that note away as you have provided the needed info. Thanks! One more thing I can scratch from my long "to do" list.

Isn't it just like a gardener to plan the home around the garden? I spend more time daydreaming about the landscape than the home itself!

Last time we went out to the property as my DH got out of the van he looked toward the rear & a Humming Bird was trying to buzz the red tail light but quickly realized it was NOT a flower & flew off but still we were elated to know there's at least 1 hummer working the area.
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 26, 2011
1:04 PM

Post #8716599

Hi, Ann. I didn't check the species name of Podocarpus before making the post, and now must admit my ignorance. I'm not sure where I came up with the "gracilis" species. I can find mention of it in a Google search, but I can't find it in Plant Files which is where I usually come up with plant names. What I have is apparently the usual Podocarpus macrophyllus http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/51478/ They were here when I bought the property so I've never been certain of their correct botanical name. It looks like your Podocarpus gracilior has been reclassified to the genus, Afrocarpus http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/65146/ Podocarpus nagi will grow in Jacksonville and probably the Lake City area I've seen one mature P. nagi in Jacksonville so I'm not sure what you can expect in general. And, wouldn't you know, just to make sure I don't have a few brain cells left to spare, the botanists have apparently reclassified P. nagi to become Nageia nagi. Geesh! http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/63892/

I just searched for Zone hardiness for Afrocarpus (Podocarpus) gracilior and the reports range from Zone 8 from the retail plant nurseries (that usually fudge a bit on hardiness) to a listing of 10a by the UF IFAS. So, you may want to plant one and find out for yourself if it will survive in our area. I have some plants (like Bluebird Vine, Petrea volubilis) that nearly all sites list as hardy only in Zone 10 - 12, but it has grown in my yard for several years. It needs some minimal winter protection and in these last two exceptionally cold winters, it has died back to the ground, but it does grow and bloom here despite the reports to the contrary. Sometimes it pays to experiment! In the case of the Petrea, I had no idea what it was when I bought it, so I had no fear in planting it. LOL Fortunately, I happened to put it alongside the Podocarpus hedges and I've noted over the years that evergreen plants tend to help protect less hardy plants within their immediate area.

Jeremy

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 27, 2011
7:05 AM

Post #8718230

Ann I have aPodocarpus hedge and not really sure what species they are. They took awhile to really take off but we started them as seedlings from my Dad's plants, well he started them. They are now about eighteen plus foot tall and around seventeen years old. They make a wonderful barrier along the fence line. They never freeze and don't require that much trimming and always evergreen. I'm so glad we put them in when we moved into this house, the privacy is wonderful along with the protection they give the rest of the garden from strong winds.
This is a pic to show how tall the Podocarpus is now, I was actually taking a picture of the Yellow Marigold tree to show how much it grew since freezing to the ground this past winter, but you can clearly see how tall the Podocarpus is and remember these were started by seedlings off my father's plant and were less than a foot tall when planted in the ground. So maybe a foot a year growth.
Picture taken beginning of this July.

I tell you I understand planning the house around the garden. This is our second home, sold our first after living over ten years in it with a wonderful garden that we turned a plain sodded yard with nothing into a lovely treed garden. Our second home it was the house we loved, however the yard was so horrible with many dead trees and took a lot of back breaking work and seventeen years to make it what it is today, what my husband calls our own little garden of Eden. If we ever were to move from here I'd buy an already established beautiful garden with a nice house in the middle of it...I want the "good meat and bones" to already be in place..so I can just enjoy it...lol. Just getting too old to do all that back breaking work all over again. ((smile))

Sherri

Thumbnail by sunkissed

islandgirl37
Marathon, FL
(Zone 11)

July 27, 2011
9:40 PM

Post #8720195

Bees busy pollinating the blooms on one of my Buccaneer Palms... Pseudophoenix sargentii . One day there were so many they were knocking all the flowers off and they were so laden with pollen the bees were falling to the ground. I had to hose them off to keep my dogs from getting stung. Now that several others have opened I haven't seen a swarm of hundreds. Just a few here and there doing their job but wow, that first one was a little too much and too many.

Thumbnail by islandgirl37

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 29, 2011
1:01 PM

Post #8723499

Great photo of the bee, Islandgirl! The same sort of swarms of several species of bees and wasps occurs when the Coral Vine (Antigonon leptorus) is in flower. It's a shame that the Coral Vine is an invasive species because it is attractive and the bees certainly love it.

Someday, maybe sooner than later, I'm expecting to wake up some morning and say to myself, "Enough already with the gardening," and move into a highrise senior housing center with not more than a balcony to landscape. I spent about 4 hours in the grueling heat and humidity yesterday afternoon, cleaning up the front curb garden and mowing (the only area I have to mow). Odd thing is, I still enjoy the work and it is great exercise.

I transplant my Podocarpus seedlings and pot some up when they are very small. They barely put on any top growth for the first several years until they sink a deep tap root straight down for several feet. I've learned to not even bother trying to transplant a Podocarpus sapling that has already reached about 12 - 18 inches in height. By that time, the tap root is fairly well formed and the sapling will be killed if the tap root is disturbed. Early on, I tried transplanting some old, fully grown (but hedge trimmed) Podocarpus. That is truly a futile activity. I never got one of them to survive. I have a few female Podocarpus that produce lots of seedlings in the immediate area of the plants. If anyone wants any of them, come see me!

Jeremy

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2011
6:07 PM

Post #8724105

jeremy you wouldn't be you if you couldn't get out and enjoy the plants...

I'm going to a bamboo conference in Jacksonville next Saturday, sure wish I had time to see folks up there.

Jan
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 30, 2011
1:29 PM

Post #8725623

Jan, come to Jacksonville early and stay over at our house! You are welcome to visit and we can send you home with a box of plants (or put them into the mail before you leave to arrive on your doorstep).

Jeremy

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2011
7:00 PM

Post #8726287

Jeremy

you are so kind, but I'm sharing a room with another boo lover or I would take you up on your wonderful offer. Maybe another time as I'm sure I'll be coming back to that area. and when I do I will make sure to keep some time to come visit.

Jan
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 31, 2011
10:46 AM

Post #8727496

Jan - where is the bamboo conference being held in Jacksonville? Maybe I (and possibly others) can swarm in during a lunch break and load you up with plants? LOL

Jeremy

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2011
3:41 PM

Post #8728164

arent you too kind...

were are you at, the conference is on the south side and my hotel is on the north side at JACKSONVILLE - BLOUNT ISLAND
10148 NEW BERLIN RD, JACKSONVILLE, FL 32226 I don't have the final itinerary yet to know when I be where??? LOL

dmail me your phone number and address and when I get there I'll call ya, would be nice to visit, I might be able to swing by on Sunday on my way home.

Jan

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 19, 2011
10:23 AM

Post #8764793

I have no idea what kind of hibiscus this is but it sure is pretty. Found it back in the end of June on clearance rack at Lowe's for two bucks.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

flaflwrgrl
North Central , FL
(Zone 8b)

August 19, 2011
3:43 PM

Post #8765279

Oooooo very pretty! If Jon from Lauderdale is still lurking around here he will likely be able to tell you as he is into hibs & a member of the Am. Hib Society as well as doing some hybridizing of his own.
Or you could see if the Am. Hib. Society has a website where you can compare photos.
Orrrrrr... you can post the pic on the I.D. forum & I'll bet you get an I.D. in less than 3 hours. Those folks are GOOD!
PurePlants
Deltona, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 20, 2011
5:19 PM

Post #8767076

Plumeria Kohala =)

Thumbnail by PurePlants

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 24, 2011
6:51 AM

Post #8774334

Pure Plants that is very pretty...love the bright pink. Does it freeze in the winter and come back?
PurePlants
Deltona, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 26, 2011
3:37 PM

Post #8778539

Sunkissed,

Thanks! It is actually not pink at all but a very deep cherry like red, I have used 4 different cameras and just cannot pick-up the right color! I overwinter my plumies, fancy hibiscus and desert roses in the garage during the winter so they do not get damaged. I didn't do that a few years ago and lost almost all of them and that is one expensive mistake I will not make again! Hopefully this next winter will be more mild than the record breaking winters we've had the last couple years.

Thumbnail by PurePlants

ApopkaJohn
Apopka, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 3, 2011
5:25 PM

Post #8791931

Went for a walk today at Deleon Springs and found a banana spider. Actually Kitty is standing behind the web so her face is safe.

Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn

flaflwrgrl
North Central , FL
(Zone 8b)

September 3, 2011
6:13 PM

Post #8791993

Now that is a neat photo!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 4, 2011
4:20 AM

Post #8792301

Oh my John...that is something. I go for very early walks when sun is coming up and have to watch out for spiders...it is that time of year. I just don't want to run into them...lol

Thumbnail by sunkissed

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 5, 2011
6:13 AM

Post #8793990

So what do you mean it is that time of year for the spiders???? Sorry still getting use to being back in florida after being gone for 25 years???

Jan
PurePlants
Deltona, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 10, 2011

Post #8802500

One of my Desert Roses today...

Thumbnail by PurePlants

flaflwrgrl
North Central , FL
(Zone 8b)

September 10, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8802789

Striking!

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2011
6:27 PM

Post #8802833

WOW, WOW is all I can say over that one, but it still doesn't make me want one, I don't want any thorns...LOL

Thanks for sharing

Jan
PurePlants
Deltona, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 10, 2011
7:28 PM

Post #8802918

No thorns on a desert rose! Here is a pic of the full plant a couple weeks ago. :)

Thumbnail by PurePlants

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2011
7:47 PM

Post #8802944

That is strange the large one I saw at the botanical gardens it had thorns, the plant was over 12 foot tall, maybe they get them after they are taller...???

Jan
PurePlants
Deltona, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 13, 2011
7:32 PM

Post #8807463

I wonder if you saw a pachypodium as some of the pachypodiums look very similar with regard to the caudex, leaves and flowers except they have thorns. I had a pachypodium saundersii seedling that you could hardly tell the difference (with the exception of the wicked thorns!). I have an extra seedling if you would like to try one out! :)

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2011
2:18 PM

Post #8808408

Thanks Pure, but I'm in a rental right now till we find a place, I do appreciate the offer.

Jan
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 17, 2011
6:10 AM

Post #8811996

If the desert rose doesn't have thorns I will try to find one. Love the flower shape. Pure hope your able to come to my plant roundup on Oct. 22. I believe their is another person coming from Deltona area. Some of the places listed on Daves forum I have never even heard of and I've been here 45 years. Very interesting. Bonnie
flaflwrgrl
North Central , FL
(Zone 8b)

September 17, 2011
9:25 AM

Post #8812198

Bonnie, I know the feeling. Here's why we haven't heard of them --- because they're NEW. If you've been here forever you don't know the new places.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 17, 2011
6:53 PM

Post #8812758

Ann,
I think your new property is really beautiful. I would have bought it simply for the oaks. You are absolutely correct about dreams changing with the different stages of life.
When you are settled in I think it would be nice for all of us who attend your RU to bring a plant for your landscaping. I have gotton plants from Jeremy and Apopka John and everytime I look at them I think of them and call the plant Jeremy's yellow cestrum or Apopka John's silk tree. My husb. laughs at me being sentimental but thats OK. A favorite saying of mine: Memories are souveniers our hearts collect through the years.

Bonnie
flaflwrgrl
North Central , FL
(Zone 8b)

September 18, 2011
6:10 AM

Post #8813170

Thanks Bonnie! I'm a sentimental fool too.
Your compliments about the property help. I will admit there have been times & are bound to be more that I get crazy & go online house hunting again because building seems like such an impossible feat. But then we go out to the property & everything negative within us magically melts away & we feel like we've learned to breeeaaathe again & I come home with a renwed strenght to tackle more of the details of planning, getting estimates, & handling the details of this whole venture.
It's going to be a while before I can have that round up but I sure am looking forward to the day.

Ann
ApopkaJohn
Apopka, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 19, 2011
3:03 PM

Post #8815287

We were priviledge to help custom-design our floorplan when we built in 2007. It's unique. We made a few mistakes, mostly in letting the contractor build a couple of the rooms too small.

Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn

flaflwrgrl
North Central , FL
(Zone 8b)

September 19, 2011
4:09 PM

Post #8815371

Looks good John. The kitchen layout looks like it works nice in real life. I like looking at plans -- one can always learn something from them or remember something maybe they forgot to include/consider.
LOL! The deed restrictions say we have to build 1400 s.f. min. & that's what we were going to do as we have no kids & not really any family left. But as one goes along... well, let me say the house has grown to 1600 s.f..

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 20, 2011
7:25 AM

Post #8816053

Bonnie... South Seminole Nursery on Lake Drive in Winter Springs/Casselberry has some dessert rose. Small ones are about nine bucks and large ones were around twice that. They had several colors to choose from. This was a couple weeks ago.
http://sseminolefarmandnursery.com/
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 20, 2011

Post #8816666

Thanks Sunkissed,
Maybe I can find one aruond here but if not after RU I can take a ride over.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 27, 2011
3:43 AM

Post #8826146

An unusual mushroom in my yard this past week. Lots and lots of rain here.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 27, 2011
6:27 AM

Post #8826349

I don't know the name but I just finally got rid of mine, I just kept pulling them stem and all up out of the yard.

Jan
flaflwrgrl
North Central , FL
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2011
9:57 AM

Post #8827862

Sunkissed, that is certainly an interesting form isn't it?

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 30, 2011
9:42 AM

Post #8830456

This is my desert rose

Thumbnail by sunkissed

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 30, 2011
9:48 AM

Post #8830463

Check out the berries on my Firebush..so far the birds haven't touched them, they've been there almost two weeks now.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

flaflwrgrl
North Central , FL
(Zone 8b)

September 30, 2011
4:44 PM

Post #8830922

WOW! That desert rose is such a deep, rich color. Just beautiful!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2011
5:47 AM

Post #8833947

Ann,
Don't sweat the difficulties of bldg. from scratch. In our lifetime we have remodeled 3 and thats 2 steps backward tearing out before you get to take 1 forward. First house had outhouse and handpump and we moved in Jan 1 and in Conn. that ain't warm. I'd do it all over again to get our own place. I am 74 and would still like to build all new from ground up. Could get by with a much smaller house now kids are all grown and gone. House cleaning is no longer my favorite passtime. Our home is almost 80 yrs. old and high maintenance. We could split off 5 acres that is part of ours now and bld. on that but he keeps saying the taxes would eat us up. We are ag exempt now and really helps a lot. I never discuss taxes with newer homeowners here cause it makes them mad. We've been on our place 45 years now and getting to the place and health concerns where downsizing would be a blessing. No matter how you bld or what you change once you live in a home you see things maybe should have been done different but if its comfortable and serves your purpose its always fine with me. Our house is cement block in all inside walls so I only tore one out and that cured me. Take care and enjoy your new adventure.

Bonnie
flaflwrgrl
North Central , FL
(Zone 8b)

October 3, 2011
6:42 PM

Post #8834993

Oh, I DO know that you'll always find things you wish you would have done differently. Hindsight is 20/20. You have to live in a place to know exactly what would have been perfect (if that can ever be figured out). That's what I do with furniture & window coverings --- live in the place a while before running out & shopping for all that stuff. What may seem a great piece today will likely not stand the test of time. Impulse buying is NOT for home furnishings unless you have money to burn.
That's the same approach I take to my gardens. I have been known to bring home a plant & not plant it for a whole month or more. I move it around to different spots & think & look & decide. And sometimes when I think I have the spot all figured out for it I will wake up the next day & it hits me like a ton of bricks why it would NOT be good in that spot at all. But eventually it all comes together & the plant ends up in the best place.
We lived in the last house we built for 20 years & yes, I'm looking forward to "new". Time flies & that ole maintenence rears it's ugly head. At least I will be able to relax for 5 or more years before it all starts all over again. I used to not understand why people sold & moved all the time then I found out --- they wanted new so they didn't have to fix the faucets, replace the HWH, worry about when the A/C is going to break, paint & re-paint & then do it all again.
Oooooo, remodeling... I've had enough friends go through it that I don't even want to think about that EVER!

Ann
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2011
7:52 PM

Post #8835087

Remodeling is what you do when you have more energy then money or brains. We made money on each sale but it took us 5 years in each house doing everything ourselves. Don't think I want to do that again unless its a dire necessity. And I mean dire.
Off to bed got another full day tomorrow. Went 2 places troday and all their seeds were sold out so somebody must be gardening. Takes too long to order them so I'll try to find some someplace.

Re. house painting-can't paint my rooms as its all tongue and groove cypress even the ceilings in some rooms. My husb,. built a new kitchen 8 yrs. ago and that took 5 yrs. as he was working then but he did a grat job. I have red oak bull nose trim around all the countertops and he also made that. Now that took patience but it looks great and has held up great. I do all the finish work and its about finished me. Those days are gone. (I think) I just take ea. day as it comes and am thankful it comes. Take care

Bonnie

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 4, 2011
2:06 PM

Post #8836019

Ann that desert rose is called Star of top, not sure if they meant Star on top, since the center looks like a star. I do love the deep bright red of the flowers.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/160800/
I do the same thing with plants I buy, keep moving them around until I find just the right place for it...but then I'm sure more gardeners do. I have a Duranta my Dad gave me that I'm doing that with now...I know I need to get it in the ground soon so the roots can dig in before we get those cold temps again. Decisions...decisions...

Bonnie can't wait to see that kitchen...sounds like a very handy husband to do that, maybe I need to bring mine along and he can get some ideas...I'd love new kitchen. ;) He is very handy at fixing and building things..and now RETIRED!

My lion's ear -Leonotis is in full fall bloom now...

Thumbnail by sunkissed

flaflwrgrl
North Central , FL
(Zone 8b)

October 4, 2011
4:49 PM

Post #8836232

Bonnie, I would KILL to have that tongue & groove cypress!!!!!! I know that stuff & it's wuuuuunnnnderrrrfuuuulllll! The kitchen sounds fabulous too with the bullnose.

Sunkissed, you're right, it does look like a star. It really is striking & looks velvety too. You know, as far as the duranta is concerned, if you can't figure it out before cold comes; you can always overwinter it by sinking the pot in the ground & mulching well. Then it will hold over for spring if you need it to.
ApopkaJohn
Apopka, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 5, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8837582

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/gardening-how-to/heeling-in-plants.htm

"If you are heeling in plants in containers, you can either leave the plants in the container or take it out. If you decide to leave the plants in the containers while they are heeled in, make sure that you do not leave them in the container too long as they can become root bound if left heeled in for too long with the container.

The next step in heeling in a plant is to dig a trench that is deep and wide enough to accommodate the roots of the plant. In the winter, if possible, dig the trench near a building foundation. This will add an extra layer of protection to the plant as the building will let off radiant heat. In the summer, dig the trench in a shady area to protect the plants that are being heeled in from the intense sun.

After you dig the trench, lay the plant in the trench with the plant at an angle so that the canopy is just above the trench and the roots are in the trench. Placing the canopy close to the ground allows the plant to get further protection from wind and cold.

Fill the heeling in trench back in. If you are heeling in for the winter, mulch the plant with sawdust, hay or leaves. "

Up north where plants go dormant, this is a good way to store plants while waiting for spring planting time.

pic from web.

Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn

flaflwrgrl
North Central , FL
(Zone 8b)

October 5, 2011
6:03 PM

Post #8837595

Excellent John, excellent.
PurePlants
Deltona, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 5, 2011
6:07 PM

Post #8837605

Stapelia Variegata

Thumbnail by PurePlants

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2011
7:15 PM

Post #8837676

Great site John. Lots of good info. on there. Thanks, Bonnie

Pure, plant is beautiful.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 6, 2011
8:33 AM

Post #8838240

John what valuable information...thanks for posting that.

Pureplants that is really a striking plant...not something I've ever seen.

This is a new one I couldn't resist...might have to try the heeling method with it...

Bush Clover, Lespedeza

Thumbnail by sunkissed

flaflwrgrl
North Central , FL
(Zone 8b)

October 7, 2011
12:32 PM

Post #8839729

Pure, WOW!
Sunkissed, I see why you couldn't resist.
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 8, 2011
3:28 PM

Post #8841066

I couldn't resist those lesp. either. I got a lot of them from Flowers. They settled in nicely and have even been blooming. They have some growing to do to get to that size but I believe they are liking my soil/climate here.

Molly

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 9, 2011
7:27 AM

Post #8841860

Nice to know Molly, hope I'm not too far south for it to do well in my garden because it sure is a pretty bush and looks nice between the Duranta and Red Firecracker bush.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 18, 2011
3:35 PM

Post #8854442

Need some input. I have a heliconia planted about 4 feet from house, has grown a lot for just 1 year old. No blooms yet. I know its tropical and am afraid it will croak if I leave it in ground all winter but it sure it big to dig up and pot. I do have a lot of landscape blankets.
What does everyone think. I don't want to loose it to the cold.
BTW Mount Dora plant show and sale is Nov. 5 this year. Thats where I got this heliconia from last year

Give me your thoughts please.

Bonnie
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 18, 2011
3:52 PM

Post #8854467

Bonnie,

If you can't dig it up, try mulching very heavily for the winter. It's possible it will die back and come again from the roots.

Molly
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 18, 2011

Post #8854483

Thanks Molly I was thinking along those lines.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 26, 2011
4:06 AM

Post #8864077

Wow I didn't know there was a plant show in Mt. Dora Nov. 5th...got late afternoon plans but if they open early I could make it there...I just love Mt. Dora, such a pretty town.

Bonnie I'd think you'd be better off just protecting the plant as best you can than digging it up if it is really big and established. I've not used them but at S. Seminole Nursery they sell "Frost covers, blankets". They are pricey but maybe you can find them cheaper on line. They protect the plant and still allow sunlight and rain, so you can leave them on during the freezing nights. As Molly said just protect the root base the best you can, even wrapping a blanket all around it, the top part might freeze but it will come back if roots are fine.

Thought I'd share some photos of the wildflowers at Wekiwa Springs State park in Apopka...I'm going back out there to hike again before they are gone...field of "Summers farewell" and "Yellow Buttons"...

Thumbnail by sunkissed

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 26, 2011
4:09 AM

Post #8864078

close up of Summers Farewell (Dalea pinnata) ...

Thumbnail by sunkissed

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 26, 2011
4:15 AM

Post #8864082

Closer shot of Yellow Buttons (Balduina angustifolia)

This message was edited Oct 26, 2011 8:55 AM

Thumbnail by sunkissed

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 26, 2011
4:17 AM

Post #8864084

A photo of one of the hiking paths full of wildflowers...

Thumbnail by sunkissed

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 26, 2011
4:18 AM

Post #8864086

Another path...actually I was lost when I found this one...the trails can be confusing...never have I seen so much blazing star in one place...

Thumbnail by sunkissed

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 26, 2011
4:20 AM

Post #8864088

close up of blazing star (Liatris tenuifolia)

Thumbnail by sunkissed

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 26, 2011
4:22 AM

Post #8864089

One of the most stand out flowers amongst everything was the Florida paintbrush (Carphephorus)

Thumbnail by sunkissed

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 26, 2011
4:25 AM

Post #8864092

Butterflies everywhere and they especially love the Florida paintbrush...

Thumbnail by sunkissed

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 26, 2011
4:30 AM

Post #8864096

Dog Fennel everywhere...has so much beauty...when in its place in the wild...

Thumbnail by sunkissed

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 26, 2011
4:32 AM

Post #8864097

I killed my camera battery taking so many pictures...but luckily right before it died...got this shot of E. Swallowtail...there were lots there but this one took your breath away with the brilliant blue on the wings...

Thumbnail by sunkissed

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 26, 2011
10:08 AM

Post #8864485

Sherri,
Your pics brought back many good memories. When I worked for Div of Rec & Parks as dist. sec. Wekiwa was one of my parks and I had to spend time there once in a while. Used to hold park ranger training academy there at big bldg. the Fla. Garden clubs built there and we stayed in the little bunk houses they also built. That was back before they put in the campground. Haven't been there for many years. I loved to swim in the springs. Glad you enjoyed it .
Hillsborough River State Park also has a nice campground you may want to try. We had a lot of parks in my district and I of course got to visit all of them. My favorite was Caladesi Island in Dunnedin. No camping there but Honeymoon Island has camping and you can take a boat over to Caladesi from there. Very short ride. I sould like a commercial.
Bonnie
flaflwrgrl
North Central , FL
(Zone 8b)

October 26, 2011
10:34 AM

Post #8864521

Lovely, lovely pictures!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 26, 2011
5:34 PM

Post #8865036

Bonnie we have camped a few times at Hillsborough River, we have some friends that live in Temple Terrace that meet us there. It is another campground that is full of wildflowers. We have camped at pretty much every state park in Florida, but have to say Lake Kissimmee State park is one of my favorites. There is a few up in the panhandle we haven't tried yet, but hopefully we'll get to those also.

One of my son's went to a camp sponsored by the garden club at Wekiwa springs when he was in grade school, his great grandmother was in the garden club and they gave him a camping week...I remember they had to call me, he'd never been away from home over night except at grandparents and was homesick...I had to go out there, but managed to talk him into staying the rest of the week...maybe that was the same bunk house. Talk about memories. He is 24 now.

I've read about Caladesi, but DH won't camp if he can't drive his motor-home there. He don't do tents anymore...lol. I think it would be fun.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 26, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8865120

Try St. Andrews State Rec. Area. Near Panama City. All beach and simply beautiful.
Bonnie

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 27, 2011
5:14 AM

Post #8865457

That is one we'd like to get into, but apparently gets real full...we tried when we were up there but no spots. They told us they book 11 months in advance. We have camped at Henderson Beach and Topsail, drove through St. Andrews and Grayton Beach, both are very nice. Have you ever been to St. Joe's or St. Georges in the bend? They are two more we'd like to camp at. Had reservations at St. Joe's once but a hurricane changed those plans.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2011
6:13 AM

Post #8865533

Haven't see Port St. Joe or St. George Isl. I remember when hurricane did some damage there. In my park service days we had an old Pace Arrow motor home which we did a lot of work on and I enjoyed it but didn't get to use it much so I sold it. Now we are older we are supposed to have more time what a joke. Our place is high maintenance and we always have something to repair or replace. Plus my husb. won't leave his cows, They are are tax break so they are staying as long as we can take care of them. Just had a new little heifer 2 days ago. I love watching them run around in the pasture. Hope someday you can get over here.
Bonnie

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 18, 2011
1:42 PM

Post #8895972

Starting a new thread come on over here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1230499/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Florida Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Florida Gardening Magazine - does anyone here subscribe? JaxFlaGardener 58 Apr 16, 2013 7:48 PM
Native Plant (wanted) Botanyguy 16 Jun 6, 2008 6:20 PM
Duranta budgielover 26 Jul 21, 2008 10:36 PM
Jeremy's Mystery sugarweed 11 Jun 12, 2011 9:23 PM
Do Tall Bearded Iris grow in Florida? JaxFlaGardener 67 Jun 20, 2008 6:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America