AuthorContent

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 17, 2011
6:04 PM

Post #8637291

A few days back, i posted a question about growing grasses in the shade, and i've gotten no responses.

I have a lady friend who would like something like Pampas Grass ... but she's pretty much full shade.

the only grasses i found for the shade need to be 'wet' as in standing water or heavily watered every day...
well - she's looking for something lower maintenance.

any ideas??

OH -- she's looking to cover some lattice below her front porch.

she likes that 'willowy' | plumey look.

thanks --

Terese
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 17, 2011
6:41 PM

Post #8637368

Hi Terese - The link below is for Bluestone Perennial's Plant Finder. I use it all the time to see what types of plants are available for different areas.

I looked for grasses with different amounts of shade just to get an idea, but the link I gave you is blank so you can fill in the requirements yourself.

There are some pretty "full shade" grasses, but not the Pampas Grass types. In "mostly shady" there were more, but it appears the types like she likes need closer to "half sun/half shade". . .but here's the link if you want to look yourself.

http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/adv_search_mod.html

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 17, 2011
7:18 PM

Post #8637454

thanks Nuts... i actually got a nice grass from Bluestone yrs ago... guess i should have looked there during my quest.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 17, 2011
8:12 PM

Post #8637552

You're welcome.

Hope it helps.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

June 18, 2011
7:35 AM

Post #8638170

What height are you looking for? Most of the grasses that I have for shade tend to be on the shorter side compared to say, Miscanthus. Check the hardiness of pampas grass as it might be marginal here. DD grows it in TN from seed I started for her and it does take a few years to reach a good clump size. Carex is a good place to start for shade grasses.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2011
11:20 AM

Post #8638482

Thanks Cindy... she's looking about 4-5'
and we are zone4... most aren't for that cold.

I did find one on Bluestone. I also told her she could do day lilies -- the taller ones do well in the shade too, if she wanted to go that route.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

June 18, 2011
3:33 PM

Post #8638811

Most of the hardy grasses for shade that I've seen don't get that tall. The dreaded (read: outrageously self-sowing) northern sea oats can get to about 4 ft. I grow it but I have to be vigilant because the seedlings are tough to pull. If you find a tall shade-loving perennial grass the behaves, I'd love to know.

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 20, 2011
12:14 PM

Post #8642688

Calamagrostis xacutiflora 'Karl Foerster' supposedly does quite well in shade. More so than most grasses other than carex as noted above. Mine gets morning sun and stays around 3-4 feet tall. It is sterile so it does not reseed and become invasive. Recommended.

Doug

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

June 20, 2011
12:44 PM

Post #8642783

Doug - I have that one but it never gets that tall for me but mine is in full shade (and not high shade). Sounds like I need to relocate mine.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Shady Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dogwood Shrubs (flowering) Goldengirl 18 May 19, 2008 11:50 PM
info on shade-loving vine? Horseshoe 29 Oct 2, 2007 6:30 AM
Just a little shady corner. CountryGardens 7 Jul 22, 2009 8:17 PM
share your shade garden pics IowaAnn 198 Sep 15, 2008 4:42 PM
Problem area-wet shade, Please help Shadyfolks 52 Sep 13, 2008 3:04 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America