Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cowpea123
Coushatta, LA

June 17, 2011
6:33 PM

Post #8637349

Look what came into my yard this evening. Chickens Bane. Destroyer of flocks.I think my defences will hold...will know in the morning.

This message was edited Jun 17, 2011 7:34 PM

Thumbnail by cowpea123
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Haystack
Ferndale, WA

June 17, 2011
7:00 PM

Post #8637426

They are not what I like to see around my flock either. They are however very beautiful animals in their own way. I also hope you defences hold, love the fact that you shared this pic with us though. Thanks Haystack

This message was edited Jun 17, 2011 11:57 PM
cowpea123
Coushatta, LA

June 17, 2011
7:09 PM

Post #8637440

Sorry about the quality of the picture it was a long zoom. Haystack I posted pictures of my chickens on my maran thread. I won't kill the fox because it eats to many vermin. I only kill racoons and possums but they are not wasted my uncle eats them.
cowpea123
Coushatta, LA

June 17, 2011
7:13 PM

Post #8637442

Here is a pic of my hens.

Thumbnail by cowpea123

cowpea123
Coushatta, LA

June 17, 2011
7:34 PM

Post #8637475

I just chased of a two legged thief stealing corn. How sad. If they had only asked...
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

June 17, 2011
9:26 PM

Post #8637693

Cowpea, educate me. I never knew people ate, coons or possums. Do you know if that is common, and what do they taste like...Possums are so ugly I just can't imagine anyone eating them. I love learning new things, so educate me...Haystack

Also many, many, years ago I lived in Bossier City, worked in Shreveport, and was stationed in Ft polk. So do you live around any of those areas? I loved living in the south as it was so different from where I'm from. I found the people down south very warm and enjoyed myself very much...
cowpea123
Coushatta, LA

June 18, 2011
3:41 AM

Post #8637864

My uncle is one of the last people to eat them around here.He is 87 years old and tells me that people used to eat them all the time. During the great depression they were free meat if you could catch them.He also sold the coon pelts a dollar each.As for tast I haven't tried them.I live 50 miles south of Bossier and Shreveport just off US 71 and know them well.Coushatta and Natchitoches are the towns I'm close to. For the most part people are still nice but drug use(meth for the most part) has has ruined most of the younger people around here and turned them into thieves and cutthroats. I've been robbed alot of times by methheads.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 18, 2011
3:53 AM

Post #8637868

Haystack, didn't you ever watch the Beverly Hillbillies?? Granny was always cookin' up 'possum in one manner or other. I think 'possum pie was the favorite.
People around here still hunt and eat both 'possum and coon, though I'm not one of them. Maybe it's a southern thing, I don't remember hearing about it in NY, but we were pretty citified.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

June 18, 2011
6:12 AM

Post #8638028

In my experience the people of Louisiana have recipes to eat a greater variety of "game" than most of us.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

June 18, 2011
11:34 AM

Post #8638513

I'm praying it doesn't get it too. It would be really bad. They are great little diggers so that will be most likely what to watch for if your wire is secure
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

June 18, 2011
6:04 PM

Post #8639103

Catmad I loved the beverly hillbillies, don't remember the possum pie. That was one show I really loved, along with the Jeffersons...

Cowpea, That really saddens me to hear about the drugs, unfortunately that does turn people into thieves...I know first hand. My daughter stole over two thousand bucks in jewlery from my wife about ten years back and hocked it for drugs...She has never been welcome to my home since. I hate thieves, and I agree with you Cowpea, if people are in need and ask for help they will get it but when they start stealing they are not welcome. Doesn't matter who it is, a thief is a thief..."DRUGS" the very sound of that word irks me to no end...Haystack
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

June 19, 2011
1:39 AM

Post #8639578

yep meth/crack is a sever problem here as well. Lost my baby brother to it in 2004 and older brother if off but is totally useless from all the drugs the shrinks give you to stay off it. Both brothers all they wanted to do is stay in bed and both had gained about 100 lbs from the meds very quickly. What the heck kind of treatment is that??? Drug them up so bad they can't function!!!
cowpea123
Coushatta, LA

June 19, 2011
6:26 AM

Post #8639805

It didn't get through fence thank goodness. I plan on burying some tin along the outside of my fence. It's so hot here and no rain for six weeks. It was 106 here Saturday with a heat index 115. August weather in June. Meth ruined my cousin.He was an excellent heavy equipment operator and welder by the age of 20 with a great job but within two years he had thrown it all away for drugs. I tried to save him but he told me it was to late for him to be saved. He has been in five different rehabs and is just a ghost of himself and if he gets caught with drugs again he will have to go to prison.He was the closest thing to a brother I had and I couldn't save him. I was raised by my grandma who was kinda iron fisted so I knew not to get in trouble or i would regret it. Here is pic of my baby marans.

Thumbnail by cowpea123

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

June 19, 2011
8:42 AM

Post #8640074

sweet babies.

My ex Dr married a younger girl and she got him hooked. he got into all kinds of trouble and ended up loosing his license and force back to his home state of Fla.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

June 19, 2011
9:08 AM

Post #8640129

I hear the drug stories, and It just makes me so sad. They have been in my opinion the destruction of an empire once called the U. S. A. I have never used a drug including Pot in my entire life and I just don't understand the attraction. Why can't people just get high on life...The journey of finding lifes partner, the excitment of traveling the U.S. to see where we will live. The fiddling with work and exploring what we are really good at. The children, grandchildren, those smiling little faces, all the precious animals. Good LORD!!! What is wrong with us as a nation. The hell we put one another through with drugs, alcohol, and running off with someone elses mate is just sickening. I have found life to be wonderful and then the wonderful DGer's. I sometimes feel guilty that I'm so happy...I have the most wonderful wife and a garden full of great sisters that I admire...Chickenheads Rock!!!...Hay
porkpal
Richmond, TX

June 19, 2011
9:22 AM

Post #8640152

We need a bumper sticker - "Chickens, not Drugs!" (or something like that.)
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

June 19, 2011
10:57 AM

Post #8640287

I love that idea, comon Porkpal, come up with a good slogan. I know!!! Porkpal why don't you start a slogan contest thread for chickens vs drugs...Really...Hay
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

June 19, 2011
11:24 AM

Post #8640326

wow what a great idea
porkpal
Richmond, TX

June 19, 2011
2:31 PM

Post #8640702

Done!
cowpea123
Coushatta, LA

June 19, 2011
6:57 PM

Post #8641198

I'm 34 and never been on drugs and never been drunk. Never have wanted to be.Been gardening since i was six and never looked back. Didn't have many friends growing up because i didn't do those things.I was married once but it didn't work out.I was played. Simple as that. Go for it porkpal! Here is a winter pic of my house.

Thumbnail by cowpea123

AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

June 20, 2011
8:42 AM

Post #8642295

I have custody of my great niece because her mother chose drugs over her children. The mom has no idea how painful and damaging the trickle down effect has been for everyone in the family, especially her daughter who may never get over all she's seen and been dragged through.
cowpea123
Coushatta, LA

June 20, 2011
1:27 PM

Post #8642886

A coon somehow got through my defences and claimed another victim last night. In the words of the great bard Buggs Bunny "You know this means war".When I get through tonight working on my pen only a mouse will be able to get through. It also ate some of my watermelons.Coons cut holes on top of watermelons and scoop out the flesh.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

June 20, 2011
6:37 PM

Post #8643448

CowPea That is one beautiful picture. I love the way you wage war... Cowpea, I know we don't really know each other, but I must tell you...I'm very proud of you. You have stuck to your guns, I also never had many friends growing up cause I wouldn't sleep around, and would not party or do drugs. Your the kind of woman any good and wise man would want...I have nothing but respect for you...Hay

Isn't it amazing Annie how many innocent victims one person on drugs can create! It is just beyond me as to where the attraction is...Try as I might I have never been able to figure it out...I don't know of any one thing that has brought so many tears out of me as drugs...The word detest is just not strong enough...Hay
cowpea123
Coushatta, LA

June 20, 2011
8:24 PM

Post #8643706

Thanks Haystack for the complement but I'm afraid I'm a guy! LOL! All the girls I've ever dated called me farmer brown because I like to raise vegetables and animals.Tomorrow I'm getting some ameraucana chicks hope they are good layers. Got my pen fortified to the extreme. I caught a shoplifter at work trying to pass through my gate today trying to steal three chainsaw chains. Most likely a crackhead. Here is pic of a 45 million year old sasafrass leaf from British Columbia. I collect fossil leaves from all over north America.

Thumbnail by cowpea123

gr8cayte
Round Rock, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 20, 2011
8:51 PM

Post #8643735

porkpal said, "We need a bumper sticker - "Chickens, not Drugs!" (or something like that.)"

^_^

I have a bumper sticker that says this http://tinyurl.com/4y2loa3 on my truck. ^_^
porkpal
Richmond, TX

June 20, 2011
9:27 PM

Post #8643792

Pugs will do! It has a nicer sound to it. Can't find a poultry term that rhymes - yet.

Cowpea I have Ameraucanas and they are the most reliable layers currently in the coop.

Also I had wondered who/what hollowed out my watermelons - raccoons, eh?
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

June 20, 2011
9:55 PM

Post #8643842

WOW CowPea, I'm rolling on the floor, I'm so used to being the only guy here that It never dawned on me... I hope you'll forgive me and I also hope you'll stick around. It's great having another guy on the forum. My mistake but the admiration still goes to you for sticking to your guns. Any smart woman would recognize the quality and stability you have...She'll come along my good man, i'd bet on it...Hay
cowpea123
Coushatta, LA

June 21, 2011
7:23 PM

Post #8645869

Hey everyone! I got the last of my chicks today 12 ameraucana and 7 silver lace wyandotte.The ameraucanas are 4 weeks old but they don't look right. They don't match up with pictures I've seen.Almost look like quail.Will post pictures tomorrow.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

June 23, 2011
8:50 PM

Post #8650519

Hey there Cowpea, Tonight at around 8 p.m. I was sitting outside on my front porch eating a piece of toast and out of the bushes came this very large coon. I ran inside and got my .22 but when I got back outside he'd disappeared. I had already chambered a round. I sat down and after about maybe a minute he appeared took one look at me and wandered toward my large coop where the doors were open and the silkies were playing. I watched him as he slowly made his way toward the coop. The silkies had not yet spotted him. Just as he got to the door he stopped and looked in both directions, as he turned his head toward me I pulled the trigger. A great head shot dropped him in his place. He never even squirmmed. That was the only coon I have ever seen here that was alive. I have been here for twelve years now. That was a very lucky sighting...Enemies at the gate...you bet...Howie...I hope you got yours by now...have a great week-end...
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

June 23, 2011
9:28 PM

Post #8650615

nice shot Hay.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 24, 2011
10:29 AM

Post #8651567

That sassafras leaf (fossil) is COOL! Those are my favorite trees. I keep forgetting to check and see if I can grow a few here in NE Texas. I think I'll head over to the Texas forum and ask right now.

I just spotted a fox while out on my evening walk. It took one look at me and ran. It was pretty large compaired to the foxes I've seen in central IL, but the same color as your's cowpea123. What variety of fox is that? My walking companion, Pumpkin, saw it too but decided since it was running away (and it wasn't near our "yard") that was good enough. I've spent a lot of time on the chicken fortress, so I think my guy is after rats and mice. And he can have as many of those and he/she can catch!

Here is Pumpkin in the snow--since we have a snow theme going.

Thumbnail by terri_emory

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

June 24, 2011
11:35 AM

Post #8651745

I don't know why you couldn't Terri. I have them growing here wild in my woods and moved a couple up to the yard in full sun. You just have to make sure to water them good. They did freeze back this winter but started regrowing further down the trunk and one from the base
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 24, 2011
1:50 PM

Post #8652048

Donna I think you are right! I've asked on the Texas forum and it looks like just losts of water to get it started. So this fall I'll be looking for some baby sassafras trees!
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

June 24, 2011
2:52 PM

Post #8652179

depending on how I am doing I may be able to get you some
cowpea123
Coushatta, LA

June 24, 2011
6:50 PM

Post #8652691

Hello everyone! Sorry about the delay in posting had to work extra this week.Here are some pics of my farm. These are my four week old ameraucana chicks.

Thumbnail by cowpea123

cowpea123
Coushatta, LA

June 24, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8652695

My chicken house i'm building.

Thumbnail by cowpea123

cowpea123
Coushatta, LA

June 24, 2011
6:54 PM

Post #8652699

My waternelon patch which is about 3/4 of an acre. Oops left the picture off.

This message was edited Jun 24, 2011 7:56 PM
cowpea123
Coushatta, LA

June 24, 2011
6:57 PM

Post #8652708

Here is the picture

Thumbnail by cowpea123

catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 25, 2011
4:15 AM

Post #8653154

Nice house!! I wish mine would even start out looking so professional. I'm just glad when the walls don't come down on my head...:)
cowpea123
Coushatta, LA

June 26, 2011
6:19 AM

Post #8655248

I'm building it out of damaged lumber from work and only have about hundred dollars in so far.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2011
9:44 AM

Post #8655548

wow that is great Cowpea
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

June 26, 2011
1:50 PM

Post #8655967

Cowpea I have never seen watermelons growing before,our growing season is so short we can`t have anything like that.Sure wish I could come there and get a fesh watermelon they look so good
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

June 26, 2011
5:09 PM

Post #8656375

The chicks are beautiful, the coop is excellent, and best of all I love seeing those who build from used and donated lumber. That coop is really going to look great. The watermelon!!! Well I just never liked it so no comment there...Great pic's and thanks for sharing...Hay
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 27, 2011
4:23 AM

Post #8657064

I like to see "re-purposed" materials, as well. I try to leave indications of thet where I can, just for me. One of the doors on a coop was made from a shipping crate sent to me, and has my name scrawled across it. I left that unpainted, at least for now. We had a big pecan limb come down, and miss the coop, so I'm going to try to get that turned into rough boards. Wouldn;t that make a nice coop? What part of it doesn't become something for me, that is :)

Thumbnail by catmad

Haystack
Ferndale, WA

June 27, 2011
12:03 PM

Post #8657874

Hey there Cowpea, I hope you don't mind? I just wanted to post a new pic of my Pheasant. He has finally reached his full color after two long years...Hay

Thumbnail by Haystack

Haystack
Ferndale, WA

June 27, 2011
12:05 PM

Post #8657879

Second and last. I have five new babies that are now two months old and thriving...Hay

Thumbnail by Haystack

Shelly221
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2011
12:06 PM

Post #8657882

Oh Wow! Haystack! That is a beautiful bird! Just wow!
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

June 27, 2011
12:12 PM

Post #8657891

Thank you Shelly, and thanks for visiting the forum. I hope you know we welcome you with open arms.

I have raised chickens for quite a few years but, I think I enjoy the pheasant even more. They only require such a small amount of attention. They eat very little and I just love the color. This summer I want to add at least two more species. Thanks again Shelly...Hay
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

June 27, 2011
2:09 PM

Post #8658075

Really colorfull,the babies are they pheasants also?
cowpea123
Coushatta, LA

June 27, 2011
3:16 PM

Post #8658203

Like living art Haystack! I wish i could raise them here but I think it's to hot. That was a close one catmad. Pecan makes great smoking wood to.Green04735 here is another watermelon picture. If your ever in north Louisianna during the summer stop by and get one. That goes for everyone too.I love to share.

Thumbnail by cowpea123

bluebunn
Rutledge, TN

June 27, 2011
4:40 PM

Post #8658348

Not only bane to chickens, I have lost 12 ducks this year to a fox.
Shelly221
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2011
4:50 PM

Post #8658365

Thank you for the warm welcome Haystack. I lurk mostly, and wish I could have chickens. I only want two LOL, it's really not asking much. ;o)

Cowpea! That watermelon looks perfect! Nothing better on a hot summer day than a cool watermelon. Thank you for starting this thread!
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

June 27, 2011
4:52 PM

Post #8658366

I t looks so good ,bought one at the store today.
cowpea123
Coushatta, LA

June 27, 2011
6:37 PM

Post #8658576

Now if only I can keep the coons, deer and coyotes from eating the watermelons. Everything I grow in my garden something likes to eat except summer squash.I put some new feeders and waterers out and my chickens did not like them at all.They just stared at them.They don't like change.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

June 27, 2011
8:07 PM

Post #8658869

Green, the babies are pheasant as well. If you move slowly when in the pen, or sit calmly in a chair while in the pen, they will come right up to you and watch you. You can't pet them like a chicken and quick movement is really a no, no, but given their beauty and mating calls I really do enjoy them a lot. I generally feed them once every three weeks and give them fresh water once every two weeks. They don't foul their water and food like chickens. They probably eat at the most ten percent of what chickens eat. I only have one mature hen and she has given me to date forty-seven eggs since very late March. Reliably one egg every two days.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 28, 2011
4:12 AM

Post #8659286

Shelly, is there a personal reason you can't have chickens? I mean, it's been legal in Denver for a whole week!! I'll send you the twenty bucks, if that will help...

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/28306885/detail.html

Oh no, I don't enable anyone...
Shelly221
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 28, 2011
8:37 AM

Post #8659834

LOL catmad! Thank you for the kind offer!
It's a little silly that the actual city of Denver can have chickens, but I am in one of the few suburbs that DON'T allow chickens in Colorado (Thornton). Gosh there is more "country" in this suburb for sure than there is in the big ol' city.
cowpea123
Coushatta, LA

June 28, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8661005

Hello everyone. Caught a possum lastnight in my trap.It had been eating my figs tomatoes.Anyone know of a good white egg laying chicken that is a calm bird and not flighty like leghorns? Lastnight was a long one.I spent seven hours in the emergency room with a kidney stone.And boy do they hurt! Just pasted it at five.It was as big as bb.Here is a picture of my heirloom corn i'm raising for my chickens. I was told yesterday not to feed my chickens any corn or other grain because they are bad for them and only feed them chick starter and grower and laying crumbles or pellets. What it everyones opinion on this?

Thumbnail by cowpea123

Haystack
Ferndale, WA

June 28, 2011
8:34 PM

Post #8661261

In my opinion, that is nonsense. corn is very good for them in the winter, as it helps to keep them warm, and its a great treat. It does not have much nutritional value but it is great as a treat and as I said winter time it really helps them to stay warm... I really feel for you about the stones, they are terribly painful. I have not had them but have taken several family members to the hospital with them and they could hardly move...Hay
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

June 29, 2011
3:42 AM

Post #8661526

I agree with Hay
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 29, 2011
4:04 AM

Post #8661547

I have some confined hens that get mostly commercial foods, mostly becuase I don't think I could offer everything they need if they don't get to choose for themselves from nature's bounty. Everyone who free ranges gets scratch in the mornings, and that's it. So no, I'm not a proponent of feeding just formulated foods.
One does wonder how chickens survived before they were "kept"...
porkpal
Richmond, TX

June 29, 2011
7:14 AM

Post #8661797

My chickens also get corn as a treat. It is high in calories but not much else, and they love it.

Haystack will disagree with this suggestion (!) but I rather like Minorcas for white eggs. I got some by mistake and they have turned out to be excellent layers. Although they are not as calm as the Orpingtons or any of my brown egg layers, they are great foragers and not as brainless as the leghorns.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

June 29, 2011
9:40 AM

Post #8662045

To the contrary my dear, your assessment is most excellent. I just would never have them again, great egg layers, just way to brainless and flighty for me. Of course my wife says anything I can't charm I don't like...LOL...Hay
cowpea123
Coushatta, LA

July 3, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8670451

Hello everyone! Sorry for not posting lately work has had me very busy. All quiet on the chicken front no hostile activity to report.Very hot here! Just picked one hundred and fifty watermelons today for a peddler in Natichitoches and I'm hot and tired.Coyotes have found my watermelons and have been raiding my field. Got some new pics to post of my chicks and watermelons.

Thumbnail by cowpea123

cowpea123
Coushatta, LA

July 3, 2011
5:51 PM

Post #8670455

Some of the watermelons I kept fo family and friends.

Thumbnail by cowpea123

cowpea123
Coushatta, LA

July 3, 2011
5:53 PM

Post #8670459

My ameraucana chicks.

Thumbnail by cowpea123

cowpea123
Coushatta, LA

July 3, 2011
5:55 PM

Post #8670466

Here are four pictures of what coyotes do to watermelons.

Thumbnail by cowpea123

cowpea123
Coushatta, LA

July 3, 2011
5:57 PM

Post #8670470

Number 2.

Thumbnail by cowpea123

cowpea123
Coushatta, LA

July 3, 2011
5:59 PM

Post #8670472

Number 3.

Thumbnail by cowpea123

cowpea123
Coushatta, LA

July 3, 2011
6:05 PM

Post #8670481

number 4.

Thumbnail by cowpea123

green04735
Bridgewater, ME

July 3, 2011
6:18 PM

Post #8670502

I would never have guessed that coyotes would eat watermelon,You need to get some of those night eyes and put around your fields to keep them away.They are solar so you need no electric.Makes my mouth water to look at your pics.

This message was edited Jul 3, 2011 8:35 PM

This message was edited Jul 3, 2011 8:36 PM
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

July 3, 2011
7:56 PM

Post #8670678

Cowpea, you gotta quit tempting my wife with those watermelons...LOL...I am shocked that coyotes like watermelons...Hay
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

July 4, 2011
4:18 AM

Post #8671006

The coyotes are probably just as hot and thirsty as the people. I'm sorry you have to provide their thirst-quenchers, but I do understand it. Most of my dogs love all melons, and the cats are often begging for cantaloupe.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

July 4, 2011
9:38 AM

Post #8671605

if you read up on coyotes they eat fruit and berries too
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 15, 2011
12:20 PM

Post #8694203

Yes, we had to put up electric fencing for the veg garden. At my place, once the coyotes have found the melons, the feral hogs move in to clean up. And they leave such a mess!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America