AuthorContent

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 17, 2011
6:56 PM

Post #8637417

I am starting to harvest my hot peppers: CHILE NUMEX JOE PARKER (6" long).
I'd like to dry them and hang them in the kitchen, like they do in Italy with strings ...
Does anybody know how to do it?

Thumbnail by drthor
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gangajay
Marine Parade
Singapore

August 28, 2011
5:00 PM

Post #8781829

You can use a needle and thread. Basically you knot the end of the thread as you would do in sewing, and then go through the fleshy part of the stalk, right at the base. A more tedious method would be to knot around every stalk rather than to use a needle. After you've done this you tie it to a hook on the ceiling or some rack (like the ones for hanging utensils).

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 3, 2011
2:21 PM

Post #8875021

I haven't done the following to dry fresh peppers yet, but I store whole dried peppers in "organza bags" big enough to hold a wine bottle. The drawstring top lets me funble around for the ones I want.

Corey
smokemaster
North Hills, CA

November 3, 2011
4:54 PM

Post #8875238

Making Ristras:

http://aces.nmsu.edu/pubs/_circulars/Circ533.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj0Wqey47H4
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 15, 2012
10:41 PM

Post #9206689

I dry my peppers on the cheap wicker woven paper plate holders. The wicker helps draw out moisture and the loose weave offers great ventilation. rather then drying my peppers I like to make pepper relishes. I put a spoonful of a nice mix in a 1/4 cup of mayo for sandwiches the other day and it was fantastic. My neighbor puts my pepper relish in melted cheese dip for a nice zing. I even like tossed pasta, garlic, olive oil and pepper relish. Can ya tell I'm hooked on the stuff!?
Now my peter peppers are ready to "create" a recipe for!
This year (now as soon as I'm done pruning bushes) I hope to start about 10 seed trays of various peppers from not heat to el-scortcho.
The cachucha pepper is my treasure- a great tasting little pepper with beautiful flavor. It's hard to find so if you get it savour the seeds- they are hard to come by. I have only found them for sale in the Caribbean but I have Cuban relative that gave me some.
smokemaster
North Hills, CA

July 16, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9206893

Cachucha/Aji Dulce/Trinidad Perfume/Trinidad Seasoning and other similar Pepper seeds are sold by a few vendors.

If you want to buy seeds...

http://www.peppermania.com/capsicum_chinense.html

http://www.tomatogrowers.com/Hot-Peppers/products/17/

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #9208070

http://solanaseeds.netfirms.com/welcome.html

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 16, 2012
10:20 PM

Post #9208239

drthor? research humidity requirements - even when strung they require super dry conditions to keep them from molding after strung, like garlic braids but MUCH more sensitive to moisture...
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2012
8:13 PM

Post #9226631

I have "Ghost peppers" I want to dry, whole,could I dry them in a dehydrator, ????????
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 16, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #9243293

Thanks for the pepper links, Smokey & Rick.
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 16, 2012
9:43 AM

Post #9243471

Thanks for the pepper links, Smokey & Rick.
I planted new ghost peppers today & Jamaican Chocolates, both for the heat but the Jamaican Chocolate because I was told it's the "best ever" tasting pepper.
For my hubby who doesn't want heat but wants the flavor, I also planted today Trinidad Perfume ( a no-heat Habanero) & Fooled You Hybrid (no-heat Jalapeno)
I have more gardening to do but my tiny yorkie is having a gasp attack. I need to keep her in the AC for awhile- it's too hot out there for her. She'll freak out if I don't stay with her.
The American people out here go crazy for the Ghost pepper because they think it's the hottest pepper but not any more. It was the Trinidad Scorpion, but now it's the Moruga. Personally- I go for flavor.
Hey this is good for me! I am remembering things. Maybe because they interest me. I have a short term memory problem.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peppers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Name This Sweet, Sweet Pepper Tplant 117 Apr 3, 2008 12:24 AM
pepper plants started HERBIE43 7 Oct 11, 2007 12:56 PM
Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers - What Do You Do With Them? Breezymeadow 21 Mar 20, 2008 2:58 AM
fish peppers up and growing HERBIE43 32 Jul 24, 2009 8:35 PM
Peppers resource thread - opinions & suggestions, please Terry 13 Aug 31, 2010 10:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America