Barn Faces and Country Scenes, Part Three

(Zone 5a)

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1131865/

I started with a barn that had a face and the thread has grown to include country scenes. All pictures are welcome. We really enjoy seeing what you have.

Graffiti Barn was around when my Mom was young. What happened is unexcuseable.

FIRE DESTROYS GRAFFITI BARN

Grandview, Iowa - Investigators say they suspect arson in an early morning fire that destroyed a Louisa County landmark today.

The Grandview Fire Department was called at 4:34 a.m. today to the fire at Iowa Highway 92 and County Road X43. When they arrived, Chief Mitch Schweitzer said, large flames were engulfing an old barn known locally known as the Graffiti Barn.

Additional firefighters and tankers from departments in Letts and Columbus Junction were immediately requested for assistance.

Fire crews knocked down the flames, but the barn was completely destroyed, Schweitzer said.

No injuries were reported and property loss estimates have not yet been determined.

The exact cause of the fire is still unknown, but arson is suspected, Schweitzer said.

The fire remains under investigation. Anyone with information should contact the Louisa County Sheriff's Office at 319-523-4371.

Thumbnail by billyporter
(Zone 5a)

At least I got pictures before it burned.

Thumbnail by billyporter
(Zone 5a)

I wish we could post more than one picture at a time.

The kids repainted it each year to write on it all over again. It was a great little barn!

Side view.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Oh, so sad. Isn't that the second barn we've had burned this year on this forum? What a shame for you folks in the area!

But I'm so glad you started a new thread. We went for a ride into Amish country yesterday and was thinking I'd start one since I thought you may have been really busy with your new grandbabies!

Except for a couple which I'll note, these were taken in the Amish community of Ethridge, TN which is just outside Lawrenceburg (home of Davey Crockett and Fred Thompson, former US senstor and current actor - their claim to fame I guess). The Amish sell their specialty wares from their houses and also from a few 'general stores' and a farmer's market through the week. You also catch a glimpse of many buggies. Didn't see too many of those yesterday. We rode with a group so didn't get to linger as long as I'd like. It had been several years since we had visited this area and it's almost a tourist attraction on Saturdays these days, especially with the produce, baskets, and jams, jellies, etc they are now selling.

This was a beautifully kept farm.

Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying

I could not resist taking a photo of these 3 little boys. They were waving like crazy at our little motorcycle caravan. I thought at first they were triplets. Maybe the 2 on the left were twins but not sure.

Selling produce on the side of a major highway. Sorry many of these are blurry.

Note the large cisterns. Most were next to the barns but many of the houses had one too.

They love their red barns too!

And another beautiful barn with a cistern.

A large farm scene.

And another.

I meant to post his photo instead of the previous one.

I love this photo with the cows.

Not sure this is an Amish farm because of the power lines, but loved the windmill.

This one is not Amish. We were out of the Amish area.

Red barn out in the middle of a field. This is the last one.

(Zone 5a)

Outside, busy, but I only get to see the kids once a week. We've been watering and watering. I have taken a few new photos, but never got here yesterday. I'm glad you had pictures to post.

I love Amish country.

Our Amish General Stores are called "The Country Store" and "Stringtown." The General Store is tiny, but has a few toys, dishs and glassware, canning things, sewing, lantern parts and clothes. There is more, but you get the idea. Stringtown, is mostly grocery. Then they have what I call Scratch and Dent, LOL! The stuff flies off the shelves.

The pictures are awesome!! I don't think I've ever seen a cistern in our area. That will be something I look for now.

I loved the cows in the distance too at the one house, and the ''triplets'' were adorable!!

The no Amish barn was cool too!

Red on green, just beautiful! The hills are amazing!

I love how they all keep their barns painted. It says a lot about them. Too many people won't or don't care about their's anymore.

My favorite picture :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter
(Zone 5a)

My Uncle's little cabin

Thumbnail by billyporter
(Zone 5a)

We don't see too many stone foundations.

Thumbnail by billyporter
(Zone 5a)

This and the gate to follow was behind me as we stopped to take the picture above.

Thumbnail by billyporter
(Zone 5a)

The gate

Thumbnail by billyporter
(Zone 5a)

Another nice red farm

Thumbnail by billyporter
(Zone 5a)

Vine covered windmill

Thumbnail by billyporter
(Zone 5a)

And last, fog to the north of me.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Davenport, IA(Zone 5a)

Sally,
That vine covered windmill is awsome. Is it covered with trumpet flower? The amount of growth is unbelieveable! I think the average farm windmill is around 30-35 ft tall?

I remember as a kid, climbing to the top of our windmill, out in the barn lot, so I could see where my brothers were working in the fields. Then I'd hop on a tractor and go get them for dinner or supper. No cell phones then! ha.

Another nice ride last Saturday on Alabama highway 11 near Ft Payne and Mentone. I love barns used for advertisements. This one advertising Sequoyah Caverns had a 'baby barn' or shed next to it with a faded Texaco ad painted on its roof.

Green on green...looks pretty good.

Another one advertising Sequoyah Caverns, but this one is about to fall down.

I just liked the rusty roof on this one.

Pretty old barn wood.

This is the last one I shot. It was about to rain, so we pulled over and I had to put the camera away and put on the rain gear. We had a pretty steady rain for most of the remainder of the ride on this road. Will have to catch more barns later. Very scenic ride.

(Zone 5a)

Sasha, you know, from the distance, I couldn't tell what the vine was. I really had to zoom up on it. I think that's about how tall windmills are. How cool that you climbed your's! That's one thing I never had a chance to do, but I sure would have!

Outside, I love the fresh paint on the advertising. I wish we saw more of that, but, then it would lose it's quaintness.

Green on green is beautiful!

Nice rusty roof barns. The second one is pretty!

I love the hill echoing the barn in the last picture!

Do your friends think you're nuts photographing old barns? LOL!

There was the neatest leaning building and I never got a picture of it. Next time we said. Well, someone pushed it over. It actually made the papers. Lesson learned. Never take it for granted that neat picture will be there next time.

Newest pictures. Neat stone foundation.

Thumbnail by billyporter
(Zone 5a)

Across the road from that picture is an old house.

Thumbnail by billyporter
(Zone 5a)

And the old gate that keeps no one out :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter
(Zone 5a)

A very nice farm!

Thumbnail by billyporter

Yes, I meant to add that I was glad Sasha asked about the vine. I was worried it was kudzu, which has tried to take over the south, but then I noticed it was just running up the windmill. I wondered if it was something like morning glory but surely someone would have noticed it blooming.

Sally, you know I'm a sucker for stone and red barns, so that first picture is lovely to me and so is the last big farm with all those beautiful fields and red buildings. That is a beautiful home.

I always wonder about the old houses and their history and if anyone comes back and visits who used to live there. That looks like it was once a nice house.

Yes, I'm sure people think I'm crazy taking photos of anything from the back of a motorcycle, lol! I'm sure the ones behind me thought I had lost my mind, but then again, it was a lady driving a trike the other day and she had her 16-year old grand-daughter with her, so maybe she cut me some slack.

I try to visit a website called Steve's Digicams (it's www.stevesdigicams.com) for the daily photo of the day. About a week or so ago he had a gorgeous barn someone had photographed with a green roof against a lush green field and bright blue sky. The barn had an ad on it for a tonic. It was the photo of the day. Check it out if you're interested.

(Zone 5a)

Outside, I love to see a well kept barn and I'm a sucker for the stone bases too, LOL!

Luckily, I think we're too cold for Kudzu. We have a different vine taking over the countryside and I forget the name already. I had just looked it up!

Aha, found it! Black Bindweed. It does have the neatest, shiniest, blackest, seeds. They are three sided.

ROTFL over the trike and maybe cutting you slack!!!

The link doesn't work, but I think I have Steve bookmarked. He's wonderful for looking up cameras!
I may have posted this long ago. It's one of my favorites since it looks like the tree went thru the house :o)

Have a great day everyone. I have a lot to do outside today.

Thumbnail by billyporter
(Zone 5a)

Me again.

A nice old corncrib.

Thumbnail by billyporter
(Zone 5a)

Whimsey :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter
(Zone 5a)

Just a nice view

Thumbnail by billyporter

Post a Reply to this Thread