Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Recipes: Coleslaw

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 2, Views: 71
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

June 18, 2011
12:22 PM

Post #8638580

Or cole slaw? There was an article recently on the Eatocracy website about 'How Do You Like Your Slaw'...it's here: http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2011/06/15/rule-of-slaw/?iref=allsearch - a fun read.

So...how do YOU like your slaw? DH refuses to eat anything with mayo so I make mine with vinegar and oil, chopped hot peppers, finely diced celery, dill, some cumin, salt and pepper.

roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

June 18, 2011
6:35 PM

Post #8639154

It depends on what I will be eating with the slaw...if I plan to have it on Hot dogs (with a good hot dog chili) then I just want it chopped very fine and adding some salt, pepper and mayo...same for hamburgers and Pork BBQ.

If having fish or other entrees then I will make it with a few more ingredients...and not chopped as finely.

Jo
Zooty
Mansfield, TX

June 19, 2011
8:18 AM

Post #8640017

I agree with Jo. Here are the two recipes I use the most.

Carolina Coleslaw

I got this recipe from the July 1974 issue of Family Circle. There was a Grass Roots Cook article about a Mrs. McCollum, a farm wife in North Carolina, which contained several of her recipes. We absolutely love this slaw. I get many requests for the recipe. As Mrs. McCollum said, “It just gets better and better the longer it sits in the refrigerator.”

Slaw
1 large cabbage (about 3 pounds), trimmed, quartered, and cored
1 medium-size sweet green pepper, cored, seeded, and minced (for color use ˝ green pepper and ˝ sweet red pepper)
1 medium size sweet onion, (Bermuda or Spanish), peeled and chopped fine

Dressing
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon celery seeds
1 cup cider vinegar
2/3 cup vegetable oil

With a sharp knife, slice each cabbage quarter very fine; combine with green pepper and onion in a large bowl and toss to mix.

Mix sugar, salt, mustard, and celery seeds in a small saucepan; add vinegar and oil and let come to a boil over moderate heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Pour over cabbage and toss well to mix. Cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Note: This makes such a large amount, I normally half the recipe.

Joe Vigne’s Coleslaw

I took this recipe from the Fort Worth Star Telegram when I first moved to Arlington in 1989. It was said to be the recipe for the much sought after coleslaw sold at an old BBQ restaurant in Arlington Heights in Fort Worth – Old Joe Vigne’s BBQ. This slaw is so, so, so good. We just love to eat it (sometimes just by itself). It is a wonderful, creamy coleslaw.

1 small head cabbage, shredded
2 large carrots, shredded
3 scallions, chopped (I use the whole bunch of scallions)
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup evaporated milk
1 T prepared mustard
1/3 cup mayonnaise

Toss vegetables together.

Combine sugar and vinegar and stir until sugar dissolves. Add evaporated milk and mix well. Add mayonnaise and mix well. Pour over vegetables and toss. Serves 6

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America