Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Bromeliads: Dyckia fragrans

Communities > Forums > Bromeliads
bookmark
Forum: BromeliadsReplies: 10, Views: 122
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Flicker
Covington, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 18, 2011
4:26 PM

Post #8638886

Here is a dyckia fragrans that I have been growing as a potted single for a few years. It is 23 in. wide. This summer it has offset several robust pups. I prefer to remove the pups to prevent misshaping the mature specimen. We are having an extreme drought, so it has been watered regularly.

Thumbnail by Flicker
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Flicker
Covington, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 18, 2011
4:29 PM

Post #8638889

Here is a top view. It is just starting to form a double crown.

Thumbnail by Flicker

Flicker
Covington, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 18, 2011
4:35 PM

Post #8638900

This plant has offset pups before, but none as fine as the ones this season.Here is one side of the trunk.
I removed the plant from the pot and set it on a wire ring tomato basket to reach the pups without getting jabbed or damaging the trunk. I even wore eye protection!

Thumbnail by Flicker

Flicker
Covington, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 18, 2011
4:38 PM

Post #8638903

This is the other side of the trunk. The pups popped off easily using my fingers. I couldn't have done this in the pot.

Thumbnail by Flicker

Flicker
Covington, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 18, 2011
4:42 PM

Post #8638908

Voila! None of them have roots. I assume roots will form once planted in a pot.

Thumbnail by Flicker

Flicker
Covington, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 18, 2011
4:48 PM

Post #8638917

I have several different dyckias. A few of them do not set pups, it seems. I have a lot to learn about them.
Dyckias are a tough bunch of plants!! And pretty neat in spite of the barbs.

Thumbnail by Flicker

plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 19, 2011
3:56 PM

Post #8640838

I have one dyckia. They must be slow growing. I have had it over a year and it seem to be slow growing. Do they take full sun or partial shade/sun?
Flicker
Covington, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 19, 2011
4:26 PM

Post #8640881

Peg, Only a little full sun, but bright shade is good. You should move yours around until you find the brightest spot that it will grow without burning or bleaching the leaves. And water it frequently. At this time of the year, yours should be growing well if it gets water.
I fertilized with bone meal, espoma organic general plant fertilizer, a little blood meal and ozmacote. This stuff will not burn a plant, even if you use a little too much.
The best color is achieved with sun--but watch it closely because the sun moves over the summer.
This young D. leptostachia put on lots of color and robust size last summer when we had plenty of rain. It got a little direct sun, but mostly bright shade.
Which dyckia do you have?
Johanna

Thumbnail by Flicker

plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 20, 2011
5:42 PM

Post #8643321

This is the dyckia I have.

Thumbnail by plantsforpeg

Flicker
Covington, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 20, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8643337

Peg,
Your plant is another kind of bromeliad. It is an orthophytum, I have never grown one. Type bromeliad orthophytum in plant search. I think yours will come up. I do like the color.
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 21, 2011
4:58 AM

Post #8644058

Thanks for clarifying that. I grow lots of Neos and am just branching out to other broms.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Bromeliads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
bromeliads ..how to propogate????? pixiedust 11 Jan 10, 2009 5:14 AM
Aechmea Blue Tango giancarlo 16 Feb 4, 2008 7:24 AM
My cryptanthus collection Chris_Lorry 30 Mar 2, 2009 12:43 PM
Growing a pineapple from the store. mikekilhoffer 20 Feb 18, 2009 7:49 PM
Looking to trade for colorful Bromeliads and similar plants. bwilliams 10 Jan 14, 2008 9:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America