Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: When common is not ordinary, even if it is "plane": When I was a kid they were 'ghosts'

Communities > Forums > Article: When common is not ordinary, even if it is "plane"
bookmark
Forum: Article: When common is not ordinary, even if it is "plane"Replies: 1, Views: 5
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
scottsmom
Point Phillips , PA
(Zone 6b)

June 20, 2011
5:47 AM

Post #8641939

When I was young I spent my summers with my Nana in the Pennsylvania Poconos, actually the Mini-sink Hills area.
Nope, it wasn't a resort area, we actually lived there like real people. I often wandered the woods with a year-round resident, Irene who was a truly self-sustaining woman. She even made her own soap, she'd say "stand back now, this is screamin' hot when it's boiling, if it hits you you'll never forget it"!
It was from her that I learned much about the flora and fauna of the area.
I recall her telling me that the Indians called sycamores Ghost Trees and avoided them because they contained the ghosts of the dead. During the winter when all the trees were leafless, they stood out like ghosts among the bare, dark limned trees.
They were also good markers to use as a point of reference when walking in the woods so as not to become lost. Greenhorns truly will walk in circles if they don't know the sun and trees. :) And that's that for now.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8643345

Interesting stuff scotts mom! Thanks for sharing. I sure will remember the ghost tree name.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: When common is not ordinary, even if it is "plane" Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
When West meets East! wannadanc 3 Jun 15, 2011 8:57 AM
Plane Trees aren't so Plain After All growin 1 Jun 14, 2011 10:25 AM
Sycamore battlehound 0 Jun 20, 2011 12:35 PM
I love my Sycamore bobsgirl 3 Jun 26, 2011 3:53 PM
plane tree allergy daleg 1 Jun 28, 2011 5:49 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America