Geum Avens Fireball browning leaves what is this?

Ravenna, OH(Zone 5b)

Any ideas?
My geum was planted last year and has done great, even bloomed and looked incredible this spring. Now, it's got leaves browning all up and down the foilage! The leaves get brown and crispy dead.
Is it a fungus? A pest? Other disease?

What can I do to help get rid of it? I don't like to spray unless absolutely necessary. It's planted on the north side of my house but gets full sun most of the day. It's in a slightly raised bed. It gets watered regularly every few days.

Thumbnail by kentstar
Ravenna, OH(Zone 5b)

Here's another pic...

Thumbnail by kentstar
Ravenna, OH(Zone 5b)

Sorry, a different pic! lol

Thumbnail by kentstar
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Has it gotten watered then sun hit it? That happens a lot in our area during the hot summers.

Ravenna, OH(Zone 5b)

Yeah, it might be that. At least I hope that's all it is.

Kildeer, IL(Zone 5b)

My geum is doing the same thing. I have 7 geum plants that are all doing this. They're watered often and they wilt in the sun. They were getting so brown, (and continue to) I cut many leaves off that were turning completely brown. I was thinking of moving it to a shadier spot, but I see geum wants full sun or only partial shade. Any advice on that? I love this plant and the color of the flowers in the spring. For me they bloom at the same time as the siberian iris, baptisia and honeysuckle near them in the garden and it's gorgeous.

Kildeer, IL(Zone 5b)

Bumping this up in case anyone has advice on geum leaves turning brown. A year after the post above, I removed my geum plants today. They're at the front of a prominent partial sun border and they look horrible. They never bloomed this spring. I don't think it's due to water and then sun hitting them. I'll try another spot in our gardens and report back.

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Deb
I'm in NC not sure if that matters but I have spent a lot of $$ on geum and I am thrilled first year -- then eventually what happens to yours happens to mine no matter what the conditions hot or cold watered or not. Can't grow geum or lavender or poppies! Now who can't grow poppies??? Sometimes it just ain't meant to be. I love geum too.

(Zone 4b)

Quote from debtro :
I removed my geum plants today. They're at the front of a prominent partial sun border and they look horrible. They never bloomed this spring.

For the past two seasons I have had 'Cooky', 'Eos' and 'Totally Tangerine' in my garden and it has only been TT that has done the flowering. It was a bloom machine this past spring (May) but almost nothing from the other two.

(Zone 4b)

Here is my "Totally Tangerine" from this past May.

Thumbnail by rouge21

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images