Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Perennials: Geum Avens Fireball browning leaves what is this?

Communities > Forums > Perennials
bookmark
Forum: PerennialsReplies: 9, Views: 135
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kentstar
Ravenna, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 20, 2011
11:57 AM

Post #8642654

Any ideas?
My geum was planted last year and has done great, even bloomed and looked incredible this spring. Now, it's got leaves browning all up and down the foilage! The leaves get brown and crispy dead.
Is it a fungus? A pest? Other disease?

What can I do to help get rid of it? I don't like to spray unless absolutely necessary. It's planted on the north side of my house but gets full sun most of the day. It's in a slightly raised bed. It gets watered regularly every few days.

Thumbnail by kentstar
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kentstar
Ravenna, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 20, 2011
11:58 AM

Post #8642657

Here's another pic...

Thumbnail by kentstar

kentstar
Ravenna, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 20, 2011
11:59 AM

Post #8642661

Sorry, a different pic! lol

Thumbnail by kentstar

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 20, 2011
12:32 PM

Post #8642741

Has it gotten watered then sun hit it? That happens a lot in our area during the hot summers.
kentstar
Ravenna, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 20, 2011
1:25 PM

Post #8642883

Yeah, it might be that. At least I hope that's all it is.
debtro
Kildeer, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2011
2:03 PM

Post #8696183

My geum is doing the same thing. I have 7 geum plants that are all doing this. They're watered often and they wilt in the sun. They were getting so brown, (and continue to) I cut many leaves off that were turning completely brown. I was thinking of moving it to a shadier spot, but I see geum wants full sun or only partial shade. Any advice on that? I love this plant and the color of the flowers in the spring. For me they bloom at the same time as the siberian iris, baptisia and honeysuckle near them in the garden and it's gorgeous.
debtro
Kildeer, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 1, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9189060

Bumping this up in case anyone has advice on geum leaves turning brown. A year after the post above, I removed my geum plants today. They're at the front of a prominent partial sun border and they look horrible. They never bloomed this spring. I don't think it's due to water and then sun hitting them. I'll try another spot in our gardens and report back.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

July 16, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #9207664

Deb
I'm in NC not sure if that matters but I have spent a lot of $$ on geum and I am thrilled first year -- then eventually what happens to yours happens to mine no matter what the conditions hot or cold watered or not. Can't grow geum or lavender or poppies! Now who can't grow poppies??? Sometimes it just ain't meant to be. I love geum too.
rouge21

(Zone 5b)

July 18, 2012
3:14 AM

Post #9209753

[quote="debtro"]I removed my geum plants today. They're at the front of a prominent partial sun border and they look horrible. They never bloomed this spring.[/quote]

For the past two seasons I have had 'Cooky', 'Eos' and 'Totally Tangerine' in my garden and it has only been TT that has done the flowering. It was a bloom machine this past spring (May) but almost nothing from the other two.
rouge21

(Zone 5b)

July 18, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #9209855

Here is my "Totally Tangerine" from this past May.

Thumbnail by rouge21

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Campanula Wonder Bells Blue Gloriaglolms 37 Apr 11, 2009 4:28 PM
Oriental Poppy Pops! Weezingreens 34 Jun 27, 2010 6:36 AM
BLUE FLOWERS Lori_Illinois 62 May 4, 2010 4:09 PM
Triple Roadside/Ditch lily OhioBreezy 21 Jul 9, 2011 6:56 PM
what are you sorry you planted.. thehumblebumble 279 Aug 12, 2012 4:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America