Photo by Melody

Article: When common is not ordinary, even if it is "plane": I love my Sycamore

Communities > Forums > Article: When common is not ordinary, even if it is "plane"
bookmark
Forum: Article: When common is not ordinary, even if it is "plane"Replies: 3, Views: 7
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bobsgirl
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

June 20, 2011
2:52 PM

Post #8643043

I was thrilled to see a huge stately Sycamore in the front yard of the house I was looking at with my realtor that September day. We bought the house (not necessarily because of the tree)
I love the big tree so much. It was planted in 1967, and had one owner before us. It has been taken care of very well. I love the shade it provides from the hot summer late day sun. The bark is beautiful, and it is habitat for so many birds (and squirrels). Do any of you notice the scent the tree has? It is especially apparent in the spring, and when it has rained. I love the smell too. I love my Sycamore so much that I really don't mind picking up after it, after all what tree doesn't make some type of a mess? :)
Thanks for this article!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2011
5:48 PM

Post #8643335

Funny, bobsgirl, that almost my story. We bought a house twenty years ago, with a sycamore in the front yard, house built around 1969. Its well on its way to shading the entire front yard.
I've never keyed in on the tree having a scent. With one in front and one in back, I gues the scent is all over my yard and I just attribute it to something else.

Thanks for reading and commenting!
joeyramone
Schenectady, NY

June 26, 2011
4:37 AM

Post #8655142

I just got back from camping in the Shawangunk mountains in New York. The sycamores at the campsite were just beautiful, stately old trees (see pic).

bobsgirl, we definitely noticed a scent. I'd describe it as a mix of urine and honey- you can't decide if you like it or are mildly repulsed by it!

Thumbnail by joeyramone
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2011
3:53 PM

Post #8656227

Hi fellow syc lovers. I went paddling in a marsh creek off the Potomac yesterday. Among the delights was a sycamore growing on a gravel bar in the middle of acres and acres of marsh and water. The trunk went right into the water on the edge of the gravel. What a water tolerant tree.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: When common is not ordinary, even if it is "plane" Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
When West meets East! wannadanc 3 Jun 15, 2011 8:57 AM
Plane Trees aren't so Plain After All growin 1 Jun 14, 2011 10:25 AM
When I was a kid they were 'ghosts' scottsmom 1 Jun 20, 2011 5:54 PM
Sycamore battlehound 0 Jun 20, 2011 12:35 PM
plane tree allergy daleg 1 Jun 28, 2011 5:49 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America