Photo by Melody

Article: When common is not ordinary, even if it is "plane": plane tree allergy

Communities > Forums > Article: When common is not ordinary, even if it is "plane"
bookmark
Forum: Article: When common is not ordinary, even if it is "plane"Replies: 1, Views: 5
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
daleg
townsville
Australia

June 20, 2011
6:29 PM

Post #8643429

I recall some discussion of the effects of plane tree pollen on some members of the population in southern Australian newspapers. I saw it for myself a few years ago when in Melbourne, Australia. My husband and I were hurrying to catch a tram and by the time we were on board he was red faced and straining for breath. He sounded like he was having an asthma attack, but his restricted airway released as we headed away from the city. Tens of minutes later, the seaside air of St Kilda revived him. The symptoms returned when we went back to the city hotel; fortunately not so severely. The only trigger we could discover was plane tree pollen - it was falling in visible drifts that weekend. What a pity such robust and attractive trees have this effect.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 28, 2011
5:49 AM

Post #8659449

Wow, that sound kind of scary. I'm sure glad all ended well.
I guess such a huge tree must produce amazing amounts of pollen. I think I read that each seed ball can have 800 seeds.
Thanks for reading and adding to the story!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: When common is not ordinary, even if it is "plane" Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
When West meets East! wannadanc 3 Jun 15, 2011 8:57 AM
Plane Trees aren't so Plain After All growin 1 Jun 14, 2011 10:25 AM
When I was a kid they were 'ghosts' scottsmom 1 Jun 20, 2011 5:54 PM
Sycamore battlehound 0 Jun 20, 2011 12:35 PM
I love my Sycamore bobsgirl 3 Jun 26, 2011 3:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America