Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: When common is not ordinary, even if it is "plane": Giant in the Faubourg Marigny, New Orleans

Communities > Forums > Article: When common is not ordinary, even if it is "plane"
bookmark
Forum: Article: When common is not ordinary, even if it is "plane"Replies: 1, Views: 2
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
nolainbloom
New Orleans, LA

June 20, 2011
9:08 PM

Post #8643763

There is an ancient giant located at the rear of the property directly across the street from our house here in New Orleans. That tree was the only one worth looking at after hurricane Katrina laid ruin to the landscape. It must be at the least, 70 to 90 feet in height with an enormous base diameter, talk about watching history go by a mere five blocks from the Mississippi at the French Quarter! One of the giant's volunteer seedlings happened to sprout in pot of basil two years ago - now it's 4 feet tall - I plan to plant it on local public ground in the near future to replace just one of thousands of trees lost to the winds and waters of a storm in 2005.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 28, 2011
5:43 AM

Post #8659429

What an impressive specimen of a tree, and a great idea and opportuity you have with its seedling. Thanks for telling us about it.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: When common is not ordinary, even if it is "plane" Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
When West meets East! wannadanc 3 Jun 15, 2011 8:57 AM
Plane Trees aren't so Plain After All growin 1 Jun 14, 2011 10:25 AM
When I was a kid they were 'ghosts' scottsmom 1 Jun 20, 2011 5:54 PM
Sycamore battlehound 0 Jun 20, 2011 12:35 PM
I love my Sycamore bobsgirl 3 Jun 26, 2011 3:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America