Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Vegetables: Why are white habs such wimps versus the sun and heat?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 1, Views: 19
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Waterfowler
Indio, CA

June 21, 2011
5:55 AM

Post #8644150

Right now I have over 15 pepper varieties growing, including red and orange habaneros, and I haven't had much difficulty establishing any of them except my white habs. I just got finished transplanting a Royal Black, Bolivian Rainbow, and 2 Chile De Arbols in the 105 degree heat, and those took just fine(after being topped with a clay pot for 3 days). I have tried 2 different varieties, one of which is the White Bullet from Eco Seeds.

They germinate fine, the problem arises when I put them outside, or not long after sprouting. They quickly wilt and die. I have tried since April starting them in the ground, transplanting more mature plants, putting them in full sun, partial shade, full shade, different containers and soils, covering them up during the initial transplant stage, and various watering schedules.

I have lost about 20 plants and I am down to my last 10 seedlings. Any advice?

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 21, 2011
8:54 PM

Post #8645999

That's strange I was just thinking how well my White Habs are doing. They are in a container but our temps have been the same as yours and really windy. I have noticed that the white and choc habs take longer to get going then other peppers when planted in the ground, but they eventually catch up.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America