Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

It's almost time for the trumpets!

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

I have several large trumpet lilies that have been in my garden for 4 or 5 years. Each year they seem to grow taller and have more blooms, but they do not reproduce. I added five more this spring, but they are miniature, compared to these 6' giants, which will begin to bloom in a few days.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Yes, they sure are slow to increase for me too.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

My African Queen(2) are blooming already! Things seem way ahead of normal this year here.

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Lemon Lime Trumpet is one of the first of the trumpets to bloom for me.

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Almost! Today we should get a couple blooms...

Flint Hills, KS(Zone 5b)

Leawood, what is that trumpet -- how tall is it? What a great garden you have. The bloom head is so big and really nicely shaped. I've just planted in the last year, purple and white heirloom martagons, Regale album, Regale, Citroenella, and one of VB's giant hybrid lily lavon. I love any lilies especially OLD or SPECIES or HEIRLOOM, but more especially if they are downward facing, and taller than me! I mostly gave them more space than the directions said...hoping for some good size/spread eventually. I can't wait for the next pic with open flowers!

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

The first flowers opened yesterday and the fragrance is overwhelming! This is the 4th or 5th year for these trumpets and they are larger this year than last. They are a tad over 6' tall. Here is the bed from a distance.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

A closeup of the bloom. I believe the variety is Regale 'Album', but they seem to have more yellow than I remember from last year.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

I planted several new large trumpet lily bulbs this spring, but none are nearly as large as the established bulbs. These are barely 3' tall.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

My trumpets usually take 2-3 yrs to reach full height. My Midnights seemed shorter than normal this year. Maybe they are ready to divide. The Album is very pretty.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

A little (1/4" - not nearly enough) rain overnight and this morning everything looks great in the garden.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

That it does. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.