Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Aroids: an id needed for this Caladium please

Communities > Forums > Aroids
bookmark
Forum: AroidsReplies: 32, Views: 259
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 21, 2011
7:08 PM

Post #8645839

i posted this on the id forum. here is the link for more pictures. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1191256/
thanks!

Thumbnail by trackinsand
Click the image for an enlarged view.

LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 22, 2011
6:56 AM

Post #8646491

That is the Thai Caladium variety known as "Jungle Rain". The Thais have their own names for these but the USA name is Jungle Rain. I grow these for hybridization; you may have seen my articles on Caladium hybridization here and elsewhere.

LariAnn

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2011
7:52 AM

Post #8646610

oh, thank you so much, lariann! i really appreciate your taking the time to respond.
begoniadude
Irving, TX

June 22, 2011
2:46 PM

Post #8647444

That is beautiful. Where did you get it?

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2011
4:07 PM

Post #8647657

lowe's...they had pots and pots of them...kind of pricey i guess. i believe i paid15 for a very substantial size pot but it might have been less. i try to put those "foolish" purchases out of my head quickly.
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 22, 2011
4:36 PM

Post #8647738

Lowe's, huh? I guess I'd better hotfoot it over there and see what they have down here! (As though I need more Caladiums - I have, perhaps, thousands of hybrid Caladium seeds sprouting and growing already!)
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2011
5:53 PM

Post #8647861

I got two of them at my Lowe's this week. They come from Costa Farms in FL and I paid $9.98 each. They were in large pots, I would say at least 2 gallon, and they had been newly planted, there were not many roots yet.

Thumbnail by ardesia

LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 22, 2011
6:18 PM

Post #8647907

So at least one Thai Caladium has gone mainstream - well, I'm still ahead of the curve, having grown plants of a cross of the Jungle Rain and Western Caladium "Miss Muffet". Below is a shot of just one of the many variations that came out of that cross.

Thumbnail by LariAnn

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2011
6:48 PM

Post #8647968

oh, that's a beauty!
alice, were yours in the black pots? the more i think of it, i think i paid the same price you did.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2011
3:55 AM

Post #8648398

Yes, they were in large black pots but not your typical nursery pots.

Keep working on those Thai's LariAnn. I remember seeing what I was sure was a Thai at a friend's garden last year and she said she found it at Lowe's mixed in with the regular caladiums but the leaves on hers were heavier with a waxy sheen.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2011
4:08 PM

Post #8649805

that's really the only thing i don't like about this plant, that matte finish. it's kind of icky looking. i would much prefer at least a little shine/sheen.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2011
4:13 PM

Post #8649816

The ones in our Lowe's had some type of grayish spray on them, I checked the plants carefully to make sure I didn't see any diseases or infestations and they looked clean to me but thay had been treated with something. The one I have in more sun is starting to look a bit glossy. LOL, it may just mean it is frying, we shall see...

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2011
4:18 PM

Post #8649831

you know, i thought maybe it was something foreign. the undersides were gray and now, not so much. mine is in bright shade but it never sees true sun. probably a good thing here...sigh.
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 23, 2011
7:03 PM

Post #8650195

I visited Lowe's today and sure enough, they had these plants for sale. A few had incipient blooms on them but alas, I have no others ready to bloom so I had to pass them up. Anyway, I still have, perhaps, a few hundred more hybrid Caladium seeds ripening up so I won't run short of Caladiums any time soon.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2011
7:55 PM

Post #8650361

i wonder if these are as cold hardy as the regular ones. mine is in ground in a protected spot and i can throw a blanket on that spot this winter if need be. i've never had a problem with any of my others coming up even after the brutal winter year before last. it was 17 for several nights but thankfully, our ground/sand never freezes.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2011
8:03 PM

Post #8650388

Are these a true tropical plant...? and do they need all day shade to survive?

I've just moved back to FL after being gone for 25+ years and I learning all over again about what plants will grown here in my home state.

Beautiful pictures everyone.

LariAnn you hybridize your own??? interesting.

Jan
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 24, 2011
2:57 AM

Post #8650793

I had some Thai's I got from Chris and Gretchen years ago that returned reliably for a number of years. Last year I bought some from Neofarm and they did not survive last winter's horrible cold.
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 24, 2011
4:42 AM

Post #8650896

Jan, I do hybridize Caladiums and in the last couple of years, I've been working on mixing the Western Caladiums with the Thai Caladiums. The Thais have such spectacular colors, but they are much more finicky than the Western types, so my goal is to get some of the more spectacular colors into an easier to grow Caladium.

Thai Caladiums do bright shade and they have no tolerance at all for cold weather. Because of this, they tend to be year round growers, unlike the Western types. They also thrive with a constant fertilization - i use 1 tsp Miracle Gro per 5 gallons water and apply it as often as I can. 3 or 4 times a week is not too often. In my experience, they seem to respond to this better than they do to timed release ferts.

LariAnn

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2011
11:28 AM

Post #8655741

LariAnn

That is very interesting, do you have a thread where you are showing your results, whether they are good or bad? I would love to learn more about your hybridizing... very interesting.

Jan
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2011
11:48 AM

Post #8655771

I have a question too LariAnn, what can you tell me about Alocasia 'Kapit'? I saw it on a TV gardening show and have been lusting after it ever since.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2011
1:02 PM

Post #8655879

A. infernalis 'Kapit'... http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/186587/

what a perfect plant for our "infernal" heat of late! LOL
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 26, 2011
1:28 PM

Post #8655925

I wrote an article about that plant - below is the link:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/991/

LariAnn

Jan - I just have my Aroidia Research site where I report on much of my work but there is quite a bit that is not on there yet. "so many plants, so little time"! http://aroidiaresearch.org

This message was edited Jun 26, 2011 3:29 PM
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2011
3:43 PM

Post #8656199

Thanks, sounds like a PITA plant but I still want one. Now I am going to have to look up the other jewel alocasias.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2011
8:15 PM

Post #8656753

thanks LariAnn for posting your site. I'll be checking it out for sure.

Jan

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2012
6:23 AM

Post #9048392

just an update: my 'Jungle Rain' is sprouting anew! yay!
we had a milder than usual winter but i did throw a fleece throw over this area when the temps were in the 20's.
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 19, 2012
8:47 AM

Post #9048612

Many of my Caladiums never went totally dormant this winter. They are all now growing vigorously with a vengeance, and last year's wave of "Thaibrids" (crosses between Thai Caladiums and Western Caladiums) are getting large enough for me to see what new colors and combinations I have developed. Some are sure to be really striking compared to the regular Caladiums out there.

LariAnn
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2012
12:33 PM

Post #9048928

That sounds terrific, keep us posted LariAnn.

I had lifted my Jungle Rains for the winter and replanted them about 2 weeks ago. What a year, even thought they are outside, they are already sprouting.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2012
2:36 PM

Post #9049117

i have a big clay pot of Pink Gem and Red Flash. it gets no rain since it's under the overhang so they never get mushy there but interestingly, my Pink Gem never went totally dormant either. first time that's ever happened.

i am going to keep my eyes peeled for other new hybrids at lowe's this year...the only available source i have for anything truly new on the market...
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2012
3:33 PM

Post #9049207

That reminds me of a story, years ago a friend from SC moved to the desert southwest. She had a deep bay window and the ground underneath the overhang stayed shady so she enriched the soil to hold moisture and planted caladiums. They did fine in this spot and one day she found some ladies out there touching the leaves. Caladiums are not common in the desert and these women thought they were artificial.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9049265

that's a good one! lol
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #9050296

Never underestimate a determined gardener!
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 22, 2012
12:40 AM

Post #9052314

Wow, love the pink spots on these. My Lowes don't have them. Anyone have a couple to trade? I am interested in trading for a African Mask, Illustris too.

LMK I am on the dl forum mostly here is a weblink to plants I can send. I grow a lot of perennials tho.

Teresa in KY http://www.plantstep.com/FlowerCatalog.psl?action=10416&Page=1&Date=03/22/12

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9262756

dragging up this old thread to pose a question.
i would like to add my Jungle Rain to the pf (specifically to add it to my zip code list) but it isn't listed or at least i can't find it.
does anyone know if it is already in the PF?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Aroids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
How to ID elephant ears!!! bwilliams 37 Jul 5, 2012 11:15 AM
Colocasia Thai Giant- pics please AuntB 54 Aug 23, 2008 3:03 PM
Aroids to trade: skilledwithands 23 Jun 13, 2008 12:41 AM
The most over looked aroid in the araceae family. bwilliams 17 Apr 29, 2010 8:18 PM
Which of these is A. podophyllum and what's the other? Carter 7 Oct 1, 2007 3:24 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America