Horrible Nightmare For Me

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

My heart is breaking tonight. I went to the barn to feed and my big, beautiful Shaq was laying dead in the barn. He had somehow fallen, hit his neck on the wall and broke his neck. I was so proud of him and loved him so very much. He was special beyond words. This is a nightmare.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
South Hamilton, MA

Cajun We are all so sorry. It is horrid to lose a horse. With that type of accident it sounds like it was quick, so he didn't suffer. Best, Lucy (Sr.)

Richmond, TX

How tragic! He was a beautiful horse.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

So sorry for your lose

Medina, OH

Oh Cajun-This is sad beyond words. So sorry for you and your family.

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm so sad to hear about Shaq. The two of you had a very special bond, and I know you are missing him terribly. Hugs, Patricia

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

oh I am so sorry Cajun. What a horrible accident. My heart goes out to you (((Hugs)))

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh Cajun I'm so terribly sorry! I know your pain all too well.. I am so sorry. What a horrible thing to have to deal with.. so sad. My heart goes out to you. :(

Bridgewater, ME

Oh Cajun I am so sorry to hear this,I have had horses in the past and know how attached you get to them,he was a beautiful horse.Donna

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Hugs to you, Cajun. Very sad loss.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Very sad..

Sorry to hear.

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

I am so sorry. There is a place I know where you can light a candle for him, should you wish.

http://hoofbeats-in-heaven.com/candlelighting/

Candlelight

As my candle, burning bright
Sends shadows off on this dark night
It offers peace, and hope and love
To the horses dancing up above.

My prayers and thoughts will help them find
Beloved friends they left behind.
So they may comfort us in turn,
And thus it is my candle burns.

With quiet tears, lovingly shed
I hear the horses, overhead.
Their pounding hooves are thunder stirred,
For another friend has joined the herd.

Paige Cerulli

Paige is a Hoofbeats in Heaven group member

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Catmad, thankyou for that website. I did light a candle for him. I put the site in my favorites. I hope never to have to light another candle but I want to be able to find it easily so I can look at his candle often.

He was so special. I was worried about having to sell him and running the risk of him being abused again. I asked God to let me keep him for his whole life. I cannot be angry that God answered my prayer other than the way I envisioned. At the very least, Shaq knew love, peace, respect and patience for the last 6 years of his life. He will never know abuse again. He and I will ride the trails again in my dreams.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

I'm so very sorry CajuninKy....

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I'm sooo sorry to hear about Shaq!! He was one in a million and will be sorely missed. I'm missing him just typing this and I never saw him in person. But his presence was and is big. Glad his death was quick and hopefully painless at the very least. Big hugs!!!

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

I'm so very sorry CajuninKy...

Conroe, TX

Oh no, so so sorry.

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

I am so very sorry, Cajun...God, can take our prayers so litterally at times.(I think it is due to his ironic sense of humor) I have learned never to ask Him, how can things get worse? He always shows me.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Shaq's body was layed to rest today. His spirit left with his last breath. I think I can start to get on with things now that his body is at peace.

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

I am in tears over this...RIP Shaq

South Hamilton, MA

As you said: 'No more abuse'. I think you did a wonderful job rescuing Shaq & finding good homes for Granny, Glory & Buddy. Sort of concentrate on accomplishments.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

I think you can take solace in that he had a great life with you. Thoughts and prayers going out to you and all those you have helped.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Thankyou all so much. Your kind words, thoughts and prayers have helped me so much. I am doing much better today. Waiting for company from home to arrive tonight. It's good timing for me. I also need to get back on Tug. That will be good therapy. I like to think Shaq left Tug to take care of me.

(Zone 5b)

I'm so sorry to hear this! He was a special horse to you, but you were pretty darned special to him too. Hugs to you!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Annie. I like to think I did the best for him that I could. I know the move here was hard on him. It was hard on all of us but we survived it together and we had all begun to thrive here. He was doing so very good and he was happy. I have to remember that. Even though life was not perfect for him it was so much better than what he had before. That has to count for something.

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

It does. At least, that's what I choose to believe. I've been involved with animals for many years, and many that end up in my care have had less than acceptable lives. I can't change that, but sometimes it has changed them, and I think shortened their lives in one way or another. They often are with me for a far shorter time that I would like to have them. I have learned to live with that, by understanding that they have at least experienced what their lives should have been like all along. I choose to think that they let go of the past, in a way that people can't. That they live in the here and now, and so, they are happy, even if for a shorter time than I would wish. No regrets.

(Zone 6b)

So sorry to hear this Cajun. Sounds like you gave him a great life while you had him. That is something to be thankful for.

I have no horse, but I am very fond of my donkey, so I can relate somewhat. It would hurt. :(

Hope you feel better soon.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I am glad we have company this week so I am distracted. DH and DBIL are taking care of Glory for the week so I do not have to go to the barn there until next week.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I am doing pretty good these days. I still miss Shaq like crazy. But I can go to the barn and feed Glory without staring at the spot where I found Shaq laying. You all may think I am crazy but I do believe this has all been very depressing for Glory. She has been lethargic and has lost weight. She is just now starting to show a bit of interest in life again. She has never been one of my favorite horses because of her personality but I cannot but feel sorry for her. I am glad she is doing better.

South Hamilton, MA

They do miss their companions.

(Zone 6b)

Sounds perfectly rational to me. You both miss your friend.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

we all morn in our own way. Glad she's doing better.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I was really beginning to worry about her weight loss. She has started cribbing again so I will have to mix up some more BitterLicks and treat her lot and barn again.

South Hamilton, MA

Was shaq the only horse with her? She seems to really be lonely. I'm glad however, that there is something to use for prevention. I don't think there was when we had our cribber in the 1980s.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I have 3 cribbers, unfortunately. The Bitterlicks works pretty good but it costs $50 a bottle.

South Hamilton, MA

Ouch! I hope that the little guys don't pick up the habit.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Ben learned it from his Momma, Coffee. Glory is #3. She learned it from a mare we kept for a friend.

South Hamilton, MA

Ben is young perhaps he will quit when it doesn't taste good.

This message was edited Jul 16, 2011 10:23 PM

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Miracle Collars are cheaper in the long run, and work...
Mo cribs w/o his collar on...

Just a thot...

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

The Bitterlicks lasts for about 6 months with each application. It wouldn't be bad at all if I didn't have them in so many different locations. All 3 cribbers are in different barns. Grrr

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images