Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Roses: death to roses

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 6, Views: 100
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 22, 2011
7:28 AM

Post #8646554

Last year I happily planted nine roses. They lined the back of my garage on the patio and bloomed very well. It was beautiful! This year there are no roses. It appears they are all dead. I have been watering them anyway just in case but with no sign of life. Obviously I did something wrong. I used potting soil mixed with peat and soil improver of some kind. They get about 6 hours of sun each day. I saw no disease on them or in them. What did I do wrong?!!!!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

June 22, 2011
8:05 AM

Post #8646628

The roses probably would have done better without the potting soil and peat. They can make it hard to regulate the moisture. If you need to amend your garden soil, a number of companies sell a mix they call "rose soil". I just plant in the existing dirt but we have good dirt.

Also in your climate, you probably need to provide some winter protection - like heavy mulching to keep them from freezing.

I'm sure more knowledgeable folks will have better ideas for you.

This message was edited Jun 22, 2011 9:08 AM
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 22, 2011
9:05 AM

Post #8646724

Mable,
since we are in the same zone could ask you WHICH roses you bought ?

I perhaps can help you in how to plant in a colder zone.
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2011
4:14 PM

Post #8649819

They were each a different plant. I might have the list somewhere but I kow they were all different.
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8649981

How DEEP did you plant the bud union under ground ?
LAS14
Albany, ME
(Zone 4b)

June 23, 2011
5:55 PM

Post #8650004

Might you have a vole problem in that spot?

LAS
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 24, 2011
1:59 AM

Post #8650773

Hello,

I am in your zone too and wonder if you planted hybrid tears or floribundas. Neither do well here without pretty substantial winter protection. They would need to be planted with the graft (if grafted) below the soil line. And then some additional cover aboveground. The peat is probably an issue as well. It is best avoided. A mix of commercial rose soil and compost would have been good.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America