Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Hostas: using hosta leaves in floral arrangements

Communities > Forums > Hostas
bookmark
Forum: HostasReplies: 5, Views: 39
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 22, 2011
2:22 PM

Post #8647391

I had a lot of hosta leaves sitting around my kitchen after the Ottawa Horticultural Society show last night in which I entered (and came home with a bunch of ribbons). Anyway, floral arrangement is not my strongest point, but I decided to raid the garden for whatever was blooming and put together this arrangement. I rather like it.

There are 8 hosta leaves 2 each from Liberty, Praying Hands, Marilyn Monroe and Fire Island.

Ann

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Click the image for an enlarged view.

franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 22, 2011
2:29 PM

Post #8647416

That looks great. You should give yourself more credit.
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 22, 2011
3:24 PM

Post #8647512

Ann I love it! I have been using my Huchera leaves in my small arangements because of their dramatic appearence! I think you have done the same with the Hosta's. If I may I will borrow your idea!
Alberta Ann
beaux
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 23, 2011
4:17 AM

Post #8648411

Looks great, Ann! I always use hosta leaves in my arrangements. I have one hosta that was here when we bought this house and it looks fabulous in any arrangement. It's not a standout hosta in the yard, but it is when it is put it in a vase - no matter what flowers I put it with. I put it with white azalaes this year and wow! Of course, I don't do much flower arranging - but when I have company, I try to put a vase in their room with whatever is in bloom at the time... Maybe this thread can become pictures of flower arrangements with hosta leaves! I would love to see everyone's creativity!

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

June 23, 2011
4:28 AM

Post #8648420

Have a vase of hosta leaves sitting on my dining table. I made the arrangement for my garden club plant sale. I like to have an interesting decoration on the sale table to start conversations. This year's arrangement included Sum and Substance, Paul's Glory {not mine but a generous friend's} Sagae and a couple of NOID's from my garden. I had siberian iris for sale and I put the last two blooms of this from my garden in the vase along with some Campanula persicifolia that were gorgeously blooming. The leaves last a long time if you keep the water changed out. I could have sold this at least a dozen times over and the flowers helped me sell all of my siberian iris. I love the hosta because they just sort of arrange themselves!
I will take a picture and put it up here later.
Martha

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2011
7:19 AM

Post #8648724

I'd welcome more pics from anyone who has them. Might create a few more of my own. I still have lots of hosta leaves in vases.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hostas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Your Favorite Hosta... blonde_elf 117 Nov 16, 2009 7:06 PM
Mania Links pupper 5 May 21, 2007 10:11 PM
Help me choose leslie 10 Jul 16, 2008 10:40 AM
Lovely Loretta jody 55 Jun 23, 2007 11:02 AM
cup hostas handhelpers 11 Aug 25, 2007 7:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America