Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Hostas: Moonstruck mistake!

Communities > Forums > Hostas
bookmark
Forum: HostasReplies: 15, Views: 127
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 22, 2011
3:36 PM

Post #8647553

I've had 'Moonstruck' for several years. First year, the centres of the leaves melted out big time. So I moved it to the east side of my house. It's generally done reasonably well here until recently. A couple of years ago I took a division as a special request and it pouted at me for the entire summer. This year, after a slow, wet spring, it's already melting out in June. (Mind you, all of the hostas in that spot except June are showing signs of sunburn - probably because it was so cloudy and wet for so long then the sun in June was too strong).

Anyway, I'm just about ready to pull this one from my garden completely. Has anyone found the secret to growing it well?

Ann

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 22, 2011
3:40 PM

Post #8647567

I have to ask, what is "melted out"?

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 22, 2011
4:16 PM

Post #8647707

The big holes in the white leaf centres. NOT caused by insect pests, but rather from sun exposure.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 22, 2011
4:18 PM

Post #8647714

ah. I had no idea.
nhuntley
Holladay, UT
(Zone 5a)

June 22, 2011
4:21 PM

Post #8647718

That sure looks like snail or slug damage to me. I would think if it was "melted out" (new term for me!), there would be some burning on the plant around the edges of the holes, and I don't see anything that looks burned. I've had problems with slug and snail damage that looked exactly like this, and at the time I would have sworn that there were no slugs or snails since I had never seen one in the area. I put out snail bait, and sure enough, I had about 20 dead snails a couple of days later!

Natalie

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 22, 2011
4:57 PM

Post #8647769

It's NOT slug damage. I've treated them in ammonia/water and I've seen virtually no slugs. If you look closely there is browning around the holes.

Eleven

Eleven
Royal Oak, MI
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2011
5:21 PM

Post #8647802

I haven't ever grown Moonstruck and have to wonder if it's a hosta similar to Frances Williams in regards to its weakness. I'm relatively new to gardening, but so far FW has only looked nice for me one year in four. The rest of the time it gets wind and/or sun burned in the spring, and I've read this is pretty common.
Rose1656
Oquawka, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 22, 2011
5:45 PM

Post #8647847

Ann,

The last time I looked (more of a passing glance) at mine, it looked fine. I'll check it closer tomorrow. I think this is the 3rd year for it in my garden. I don't remember having any reason to put it on my "too ugly to keep" list.

Rose

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 22, 2011
8:36 PM

Post #8648156

Maybe some kids are sneaking into your garden with magnifying glasses and burning holes in your hosta. hahaha.
someradiantpig
Buffalo, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 22, 2011
9:00 PM

Post #8648198

I generally only read comments, haven't made one in years, but had to comment here. The plant doesn't look that bad really. One observation I had is: the holes are at or near the crease of the leaves, is it possible the maple seed pods pierced them? I noticed several of the " helicopters" near the plant and have had this happen year after year to my own hosta. . I doubt slugs would bother climbing that high on leaves that wouldn't support them anyway when there is plenty to eat at ground level.
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 22, 2011
9:10 PM

Post #8648213

Maple seeds make a tear in the leaf. They usually don't make a long wide hole. I find them stuck in my hostas a lot. Slugs do go up onto leaves, even up on 36" tall leaves.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2011
5:05 AM

Post #8648465

No experience with Moonstruck, though it is carried at a grower somewhat near here. I'll have to take a look next time I go.

If it were me, I'd probably divide it into a few plants and grow in pots in various protected shady areas to see how it works out in each area.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2011
7:18 AM

Post #8648720

That sounds like a good idea. But given my experience of dividing it 2 years ago, I'll wait until autumn to divide it up.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2011
8:58 AM

Post #8648931

It sure is pretty, despite the holes!

Rose1656
Oquawka, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2011
3:28 PM

Post #8649730

Ann,

It has a few torn leaves, but overall it looks good. Even showing some new growth. Mine is at the front of a bed that gets more shade than sun. I'm sure that it will start looking rugged soon, though. We've been having cooler than normal temps, so the whiter ones aren't burning up yet!

Rose

Thumbnail by Rose1656
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2011
5:07 PM

Post #8649918

It's looking pretty good. As I said, I think the contrast from the rainy April/May to the hot, dry June made a difference this year. The houses are only about 8 feet apart and both have white aluminum siding. I think the sun rays were intensified by the conditions and because the plants were used to shade and rain, they just got fried. But I think I'll divide her in the autumn and try segments in a few different locations.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hostas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Your Favorite Hosta... blonde_elf 117 Nov 16, 2009 7:06 PM
Mania Links pupper 5 May 21, 2007 10:11 PM
Help me choose leslie 10 Jul 16, 2008 10:40 AM
Lovely Loretta jody 55 Jun 23, 2007 11:02 AM
cup hostas handhelpers 11 Aug 25, 2007 7:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America