Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cameras and Photography: Shoot now, focus later. (really) Check out the Lytro camera.

Communities > Forums > Cameras and Photography
bookmark
Forum: Cameras and PhotographyReplies: 11, Views: 108
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tigerlily
Tiller, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2011
7:09 PM

Post #8648003

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2387422,00.asp
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 22, 2011
7:50 PM

Post #8648096

Wow. . . That looks really interesting. The interactive screen was fun, too.

Thanks for the link, tigerlily!
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2011
4:40 AM

Post #8648428

Just read about it on Huff Post. Seems like most commenters think it is a gimmick but time will tell.

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 4, 2011
7:12 AM

Post #8876010

Update! [HYPERLINK@www.lytro.com]

It is so simple. Hard to believe a decent photo can come out of that plain little box. I would imagine that in a few years, it will have all sorts of enhancements to raise the cost.

It should be actually available in early 2012 and really inexpensive. You know I'll have to get one to play. The only reason I didn't already sign up for the waiting list is because you have to upload the photos to a Mac to play with the focus and process. I will wait until they get the PC interface worked out before I sign up to buy one.

pbyrley

pbyrley
Port St Lucie (+ Wk , FL
(Zone 9b)

November 14, 2011
2:10 PM

Post #8890205

A loss of focus before the image hits the image sensor just means that what could be a sharp image becomes over lapped onto adjacent pixels. To fix it you have to manufacture information. Why not just focus correctly with a real camera.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2011
2:27 PM

Post #8890225

I read more about it in the new Popular Photography. Looks like it only works on a Mac for now and you must do the focusing on their web site. So much for taking control of your own pictures. Hopefully they release their software to go with their camera.

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2011
4:52 PM

Post #8890401

pbyrley wrote:A loss of focus before the image hits the image sensor just means that what could be a sharp image becomes over lapped onto adjacent pixels. To fix it you have to manufacture information. Why not just focus correctly with a real camera.

I missed that. Where does it say there is a loss of focus before the image hits the sensor? I didn't see that, but I haven't read all of the material.

I don't think they are manufacturing any info. The camera captures an incredible amount of information. The raw files are huge because they capture enough information so that everything in the field of view is in focus from a few inches from the camera to the mountain miles away. When you process this information, you can choose via the software what you want in focus in your image and you can change it on the fly. You can have everything in focus or you can select just the foreground or the midground or just one element in the midground, or ... The possibilities are endless. But the information is all there and stays there.

The problems I see are
1. Having enough disk space to store these files. That's probably one reason why they offer space for storage. I'm sure that the other reason is so they can see what people are doing with the camera for promotional reasons.
2. The low light capability. While they say it is good, "good" is relative. It is fine inside a well lit house, but I don't think it will work very well in dim light.

This is still in its infancy. This is model number 0000000001. Give them a few years and the details will be worked out. I just hope that the cameras do not become cumbersome with all sorts of knobs and dials and bells and whistles. I, for one, really like the simple appeal of this camera and the out of the box thinking that the developers used to capture totally different information and process it in a way we have never even dreamed possible.

This is truly something new and different. Very exciting to me.

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2011
4:57 PM

Post #8890410

hcmcdole wrote:I read more about it in the new Popular Photography. Looks like it only works on a Mac for now and you must do the focusing on their web site. So much for taking control of your own pictures. Hopefully they release their software to go with their camera.

Eeek. I may have misunderstood this too. I thought that the software shipped with the camera and if you had a Mac, you could do everything from your Mac without visiting their website. My understanding was that they were working on the PC version of the software and that in the meantime, if you had a PC, you could use the Mac version of the software from their website to process your photos.

I'll see if I can clarify, although they are probably being swamped with questions.

Patti
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2011
5:35 PM

Post #8890462

I think I'd wait until the first beta version has passed (or died). The size of the files that I read about in P.P. didn't seem any larger than a RAW file. Maybe P.P. has it all wrong? The demo pictures look neat but not if I have to load my pictures to their web site to refocus.

What I would like to see is how you compose the picture - does it have a viewfinder or a monitor screen? Hope it isn't like my BIL's keychain camera he bought in China when he was over there. It cost less than $10 but you don't know what you are aiming at and then you have to muddle through the instructions to take a picture and download it to your computer. It indeed takes pictures but you sure wouldn't want to use it a lot or spend a lot either.

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2011
6:30 PM

Post #8890531

HC,

Here'e some more info. Interesting video... http://allthingsd.com/20111105/living-photo-magic-with-lytro-the-full-asiad-demo/

I also found out that you can process on a Mac right now without going to the Lytro site. You only have to go to the Lytro site if you want to share the image because others will not have the software to be able to "see" all the different focus possibilities. However, if someone does have one of the cameras and the software, then you can share your Lytro photos with them without going to the Lytro site.
Zen_Man
Ottawa, KS
(Zone 5b)

November 14, 2011
7:58 PM

Post #8890647

I'm skeptical. I think I prefer to focus and then shoot. In the Lytro pictures, the out-of-focus areas aren't extremely out of focus. With many SLR lenses, the background is completely out-of-focus, with nothing recognizable except the quality of the bokeh. In many close-up pictures or telephoto pictures, you want the background to be completely out-of-focus, so it doesn't "compete" with the subject of the picture.

Also, the online Lytro pictures are actually rather small. I don't mind the mandatory square format, but some people might. There doesn't seem to be enough information there to make a large print. I think I will save for a Nikon SLR.

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 15, 2011
3:53 AM

Post #8890894

P, I did re-read the article in P(opular) P(hotography) and you are correct on the image being adjustable only on a Mac (that rules me out - exit stage right). If they want it to succeed they should port the code over to Windows.

Either it will succeed on its own and other vendors will pay for the technology or it will be on the "good idea that just didn't sell" trash heap.

As PP stated "...could reshape photography - or just be a very cool toy."

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cameras and Photography Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
photography(?) tink76627 7 Jul 25, 2011 5:03 AM
* FYI > Defect in some digital cameras * Magpye 24 Nov 7, 2007 12:48 PM
Anyone Use a Canon S2? melvatoo 25 Jul 31, 2007 4:14 PM
Digital Camera for sale MiniSchnuz 31 Apr 5, 2007 9:53 PM
swimming hole Iluvposies 10 Oct 4, 2007 2:33 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America