Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Recipes: Fresh, light Potato Salad?

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 10, Views: 145
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2011
8:54 AM

Post #8648922

Have some left over whole new potatoes from dinner the other night. Would like to make a light fresh potato salad for lunch this weekend. Any recipes? I'll likely use fat-free mayo, chopped celery with leafy tops, fresh parsley, fresh ground pepper. Maybe some lemon zest for a fresh zing? Pickle relish? Fine chopped red bell pepper? Would some dried tarragon go with it? I've not used tarragon much so not sure.

Anything sound not good that I've listed or sound like it's missing? Would love to hear your ideas. Just looking for a nice, fresh, healthy taste.

Heading to the local Farmer's Market today for fresh veggies, they have it on Thurs and Sat. LOVE IT!

Thanks!
Lana

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2011
9:53 AM

Post #8649045

This was posted on another board and looks like it would fill the bill:

"Syrian Potato Salad"- no recipe but it's potatoes (still a bit firm), with chopped onion and parsley, seasoned with a lemon juice-canola oil dressing, salt and pepper. Simple and sensational. Serve at room temperature, with (good) pita triangles. Yum!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2011
10:27 AM

Post #8649114

The liquid that is normally tossed out in pickled artichokes makes a wonderful light dressing along with a variety of herbs, lemon juice and don't forget the zest for real "zing". I use it on occasion in pasta salad as well. You can add a little mayo to the liquid and mix first or use no mayo at all. I'd leave out the pickle relish and add some grated carrot for color and more textural contrast. Actually I usually take a peeler and peel the carrot all the way down, then chop it a bit so it's not too ground up.
Edens_Gardener
Clay Center, KS
(Zone 5b)

June 23, 2011
1:49 PM

Post #8649544

We find this makes a good potato salad, though not the traditional mayo based salad.

French Potato Salad
Yields: 6 Servings

Ingredients
2 pounds red skin potatoes
6 cups water
2 tablespoons salt
1 clove garlic
Dressing
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/4 cup reserved potato water
1 1/2 tablespoons White wine vinegar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 medium Shallot finely chopped, sweet onion will work
1 1/2 tablespoon Parsley, leaves only finely chopped
1 1/2 tablespoon Fresh tarragon chopped
1 tablespoon Chives chopped
Chervil if available
Instructions
Slice potatoes about 1/4 inch thick, place carefully in sauce pan w/6 cups cold water, 2 Tbsp salt. Bring to a simmer and cook until tender. Do not boil! The idea is to treat them gently and not break them up.Drain carefully and spread out on a cookie sheet, if a small amount of moisture remains that is okay. Mix 1/4 cup reserved potato water, Dijon mustard, vinegar and olive oil. Add finely chopped (blanched) garlic. Pour mixture over potatoes and let stand 15 minutes, or until moisture is absorbed. Leave this set for 15 minutes. Add shallot, and herbs. sprinkle over potatoes and turn it all into a bowl gently, mixing herbs through the potatoes. Serve at room temperature. Recipe from Cooks Illustrated.

Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

June 24, 2011
11:42 AM

Post #8651762

Sounding yummy :) I'm cutting the potatoes now. Still haven't decided on the other ingredients yet. Thanks All.
planolinda
Plano, TX

June 24, 2011
4:21 PM

Post #8652386

the only thing i see missing is celery seed--i love celery seed in potato salad

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 8, 2011
2:51 PM

Post #8680749

cilantro!
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 8, 2011
6:00 PM

Post #8681112

I gotta second celery seed--that was my mom's "secret" ingredient for several recipes--great in pasta salad too.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 10, 2011
8:46 AM

Post #8683717

I add a diced tart apple to mine. Also one diced pickle--the Kosher Dill type.
A dash of vinegar gives it a zest...Some fresh Dill?

And--I always mix my Mayo with almost equal parts of Sour Cream.
In the dressing--I add a tablespoon of Dijon Mustard--gives nice color-----

Do you add boiled eggs? That is a staple in my potato salad.

Gita
sonoranpoet
Cave Creek, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 10, 2011
12:39 PM

Post #8684253

yes to celery seed...not sure about celery seed and cilantro together but I might make a little test batch to test...both pretty distinct on their own. Love, Love Potato salad!
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

July 10, 2011
12:54 PM

Post #8684283

Great ideas :)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America