-
AuthorContent
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2011
10:24 AM

Post #8649102

Jnette, I have a couple of groups of minis with the rest spread out all over at the fonts of beds. I leave a lot of room between them so the have plenty of room to grow without having to be dug up and moved.

This pic shows Pandora's box growing inside the root of a huge Maple tree. I was told that it would die there but I have PB planted in four locations and this one grows the best. I keep it well watered.

Thumbnail by franknjim
Click the image for an enlarged view.

franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2011
10:26 AM

Post #8649108

There are 10 different minis in this pic. Pandora's Box in the root is at the far right. That is my Sum & Substance behind them. With the strange weather it still hasn't leafed out fully.

Thumbnail by franknjim

franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2011
10:29 AM

Post #8649115

Seven more minis in a new bed that I just put in last week. Blue Mouse Ears Supreme at the front. A teeny tiny Cat's Eye is at the left corner of the new toad spa.

Thumbnail by franknjim

franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2011
10:31 AM

Post #8649121

Eight minis in this bed but you can also see seven. Little Devil is hiding behind Tequila Sunrise on the right side.

Thumbnail by franknjim

annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 23, 2011
11:14 AM

Post #8649187

franknjim these are very cute! You have done a lovely job of displaying the mini's.
Alberta Ann
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2011
11:22 AM

Post #8649203

Thanks. I have my eye on many more to get. I have 32 minis on my want list. I am pretty much out of room in my yard so I now have to stick with just adding minis and smalls. Maybe an ocassional medium.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2011
11:32 AM

Post #8649227

Absolutely lovely. I want to make a comment regarding some of the individual pictures.

1. Cool idea. Did you make sure there was drainage in the root? Is the root solid, or rotting? If solid, why couldn't you drill a few holes in it for drainage?

2. Aren't you afraid that S&S will grow to be too big and cover them? I thought it got to be pretty large? Several years ago I saw one that I am sure was S&S and it was about 3 to 4 feet tall and probably the same across. A gorgeous plant.

3. I see Cat's Eye. Do you get toads in there? Do you have toad houses to go with the spa? I love that feature.

4. Aren't the larger ones planted fairly close together? Or did you do that for a reason? i.e. I saw a gorgeous perennial bed last week that all of the plants were very large and up against each other (yes, probably needed dividing) but I think also that weeds could not grow thru. No light and no room. Altho, it appears you have taken care of the weed problem?

Thank you so much for the tour. I love it and what a collection and hobby!! One other thing I was going to say, I don't think I have ever seen a hosta with any red in it.

I thought I had bookmarked a site that had pictures of almost all of the hostas, but I was just looking for it, and just off hand could not find it. A quick search. I will do a more thorough search when I get the time. However, you probably have it.

Thank you so much for the tour. Jeanette

franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2011
12:16 PM

Post #8649312

The root doesn't have drainage but the cavity is pretty small so it dries out quickly. That is why I water it all the time. I rarely ever let my soil dry out. I never depend on rain. With growing under Maples, if I don't water, the trees use all of the moisture and make the dirt rock hard.

My S&S has been there undisturbed for 10 years. I have had it for 20 years. It is about 5'-6' wide when fully leafed out and touching the ground. I plant beyond the edge of it.

I put in the small water feature for the toad that has been living in my yard for a few years. He uses holes between stacks of flagstone as his house. In time I will buy some terra cotta toad houses for him.

You can get a lot of hostas now that have red petioles and/or red scapes. Tequila Sunrise is a bright yellow leaf with red petioles. I have a few with red petioles. Cherry Berry has red scapes and petioles.

The vast majority of my 197 varieties of hosta are spaced out to have room to touch each other when they are fully matured. I do have some things planted in the open space around my Emress Wu that will be moved once the Wu grows in to fill a 7' diameter space. My biggest mature hosta is 7' wide. I have all of my hostas mature measurements on my Hosta lists. I use a list like that when I buy new ones and use it when I am planting so I know how much room they will need. My new round bed that I planted last week was planned so that the centerpiece hosta will grow over the top of the two inner rings of hosta that surround it leaving just the one outter ring of Lemom Lime. The inner ring is Golden Scepter, the middle ring is Golden Tiara.

The Hosta Library is where the pics are. http://hostalibrary.org/

This is a shot of the oldest bed. Three years ago I only had about 12 varieties of hostas. S&S is at the far end on the other side of the gazing ball, Samual Blue in the middle is my biggest. Empress Wu is on its second year here to the right. There is a Paradigm between Sam and Wu.

Thumbnail by franknjim

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2011
12:21 PM

Post #8649318

Love the way you have your minis planted. I'm still struggling to find good ways of displaying many of mine and have a lot in pots.
beaux
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 23, 2011
2:56 PM

Post #8649681

Thanks for sharing. I have just this year discovered how mini's can accentuate some of my beds - especially the ones with rock borders. You have done this beautifully!

I used to think there was only room for big giant hostas in my heart. Not any more! Maybe that's because as those big ones get gigantic - I have to look for any opportunity I can to buy and plant new hostas! It is a total addiction... One that I am proud to have! No 12 step Hosta program for me :-)
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 23, 2011
3:27 PM

Post #8649729

Looks great, Frank! I have to find a better way to display mine, too.
Rose1656
Oquawka, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2011
3:32 PM

Post #8649736

I love that Pandora's Box in the tree root! What a cute idea. You must enjoy your view out your windows this time of year. Very nice!

Rose
50glee
Huntersville, NC

June 23, 2011
3:48 PM

Post #8649769

Hmmm. Thats a nice idea!

Although I keep my minis in planters; they could be positioned outside our master bedroom window. That is a full sun area but there is a pergola over the three windows .

Then I could make SURE no critter digs them up while I enjoy awakening to their beauty every morning!!

This message was edited Jul 2, 2011 2:09 PM
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2011
4:20 PM

Post #8649838

Cheatin' Heart. It isn't fancy but I like how the leaves emerge chartreuse before changing to green.

Thumbnail by franknjim

franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2011
4:23 PM

Post #8649845

Blue Mouse Ears up against a huge Maple tree. Notice that there is a little bitty Lemon Lime in the hole to the right and another a little lower.

Thumbnail by franknjim

franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2011
4:28 PM

Post #8649855

Tattoo growing under a small Japanese Maple under an Eastern Redbud under a Silver Maple.

Thumbnail by franknjim

franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2011
7:11 PM

Post #8650216

I am pretty sure that I am addicted.

I just bought a collection of eight minis at the Hosta Library Auction. :)

Top row: Pixie Vamp, Electrocution, Hush Puppie,
Middle row: Peanut, Lakeside Elfin Fire
Bottom row: Little Treasure, Cookie Crumbs, Little Stiffy

I already had Little Treasure but one more won't kill me! My excuse for buying them is that almost all of them were on my want list.

Thumbnail by franknjim

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2011
8:00 PM

Post #8650376

It is easy to get addicted and what a cool collection and hobby. Good luck to you all in your search and selections.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2011
8:08 PM

Post #8650399

It is easy to get addicted and what a cool collection and hobby. Good luck to you all in your search and selections.

I think I am going to dig one of my little Little Mouse Ears up and put it in water. What do you think Frank?
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 24, 2011
4:13 AM

Post #8650868

I wouldn't keep the roots of a hosta submerged in water since they need to be able to breathe. That is why most growers use a loose mix in pots. When planting in tthe ground, light fluffy soil is prefered. Because of my Maple tree roots I can never have fluffy soil. It is a chore for me just to dig a hole large enough to put a hosta into.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 24, 2011
7:43 AM

Post #8651207

That is what I thought but they said the hostas were kept in water in a vase on the table

Oh well, guess I had better go with my gut feeling.
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 24, 2011
7:49 AM

Post #8651234

Putting hostas in water for a day or two would be ok. It is what many people do when they receive bare root plants to help them recover before planting or if they can't get them potted up or planted right then and there. They can be grown hydroponically but in a system like that the roots are flooded with the growing solution then drained off exposing the roots to air every so often.
irawon
Ottawa
Canada

July 2, 2011
11:22 AM

Post #8668103

franknjim. Love your minis. Planted my 'Pandora's Box' betweentree roots too. That's 'Hope' behind PB.

Thumbnail by irawon

irawon
Ottawa
Canada

July 2, 2011
11:37 AM

Post #8668118

I also started a minis bed with 'Grand Tiara' in the center. From right to left 'Bitsy Gold' (behind Iris leaves), 'Gosan Leather Strap' (doesn't look like a mini, will move it),'Cherish', 'Baby Bunting', 'Cherish' (again, division), 'Hideout'
(not clear). Just moved 'Corkscrew' to this bed but not sure it's a mini; wasn't doing well in last spot.

Thumbnail by irawon

irawon
Ottawa
Canada

July 2, 2011
11:55 AM

Post #8668147

The other side of the minis bed. Lots of gaps to fill in yet. 'Little Jay' (bottom right), 'Crumb Cake', 'Cherish' (forgot I already had it), 'Tortifrons', 'Cracker Crumbs' (top right), 'Cameo' (top left, 5 divisions). After second last foray to the local nurseries, my husband threatened to cut down some trees, so I can't start any new hosta beds.

Thumbnail by irawon

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 2, 2011
1:59 PM

Post #8668326

They all look great. Will have to go and see them someday.
irawon
Ottawa
Canada

July 2, 2011
5:08 PM

Post #8668627

ViolaAnn, you're welcome any time. I must tell you about a human encounter of the fourth kind I had the other morning as I went out to check my hosta beds. Some animal keeps digging out my new plantings, so I go out every morning to replant them before they are damaged by the sun. I found a tiny lady in a sari pacing up and down my hosta bed on the public side. I decided to sit down on my new garden bench to observe. When she saw me watching there, she asked me if it was allright to walk in front of my beds. I iformed her that it was her right as she was walking on public property. She expained that she had come from India about a year ago to live with her daughter, who had bought a house in a new development, which hadn't been sodded yet. She said she walked in the grass in her bare feet, before breakfast because it was healthy for the eyes. May try that myself as I have glaucoma.
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2011
4:05 PM

Post #8672252

Little Devil. This has the smallest scape I have ever seen.

Thumbnail by franknjim

franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2011
4:06 PM

Post #8672253

Little Devil scape. Once the flower opens I will take another picture of it.

Thumbnail by franknjim

franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2011
4:07 PM

Post #8672255

Lakeside Zinger.

Thumbnail by franknjim

franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2011
4:07 PM

Post #8672256

Lakeside Zinger flower.

Thumbnail by franknjim

franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2011
4:09 PM

Post #8672259

Pixie Vamp

Thumbnail by franknjim

franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2011
4:10 PM

Post #8672261

Pixie Vamp leaf.

Thumbnail by franknjim

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2011
5:52 PM

Post #8672524

Very nice hostas frank. Now these are all little guys. I am thinking that I might take all of mine out this fall and add enough soil mix to my bed to raise it up about 8 inches 'cause they seem to be doing so well in the area I have them. I just put them there 'cause it was so late and close to winter that it would be temporary. I didn't have the site where I wanted to put them prepared.

But now that they are doing so good there, I am thinking of leaving them in that area, just boosting them up. However, I need to do it when it cools off, but does not get cold and into winter.

Right now, it has just gotten around to starting summer. In the mid 80s. Finally.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2011
7:09 AM

Post #8673374

Great looking minis! :-)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hostas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Your Favorite Hosta... blonde_elf 117 Nov 16, 2009 7:06 PM
Mania Links pupper 5 May 21, 2007 10:11 PM
Help me choose leslie 10 Jul 16, 2008 10:40 AM
Lovely Loretta jody 55 Jun 23, 2007 11:02 AM
cup hostas handhelpers 11 Aug 25, 2007 7:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America