Photo by Melody

Sewing and Quilting: Blue Star Banner ????

Communities > Forums > Sewing and Quilting
bookmark
Forum: Sewing and QuiltingReplies: 20, Views: 115
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 23, 2011
3:05 PM

Post #8649702

I thought I would make a Blue Star banner for my nephews that are in the service, but have not deployed yet. Looking thru the different sites, some of them list sizes, others say there is no specific limit to how big, only to use a certain ratio. I thought I remember reading one pattern that made them about 20x24 or so, to hang in a window, but can only find ones that are like 8.5 x16, 8.5 x 11, etc... which isn't the same ratio's...
Is there someone out there that has made these by a specific pattern that can help me out? Thanks!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2011
9:20 PM

Post #8650590

http://www.quilterscache.com/H/howtomakeanarmedservicesflag.html

http://web.memberclicks.com/mc/page.do?sitePageId=64171&orgId=bsma
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

June 25, 2011
3:25 AM

Post #8653130

That was a very interesting article about the history of the Blue Star Flag. Learn something new everday. Thank you Thunder.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2011
4:33 PM

Post #8658337

I have two "single" blue star banners hanging in my front window..would like to eventually make one with two stars...

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 27, 2011
7:15 PM

Post #8658688

so I'm assuming that the finished size isn't that important... one site says to keep in relevant proportions to our national flag, another says 8.5 x16, an additional one says 8.5x21. Personally, 8.5" wide is more like the size of a sheet of copy paper... So if I make it bigger to display in a window, it's not going to matter? That's my question...

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

June 27, 2011
7:27 PM

Post #8658725

I wouldn't think it would matter Kathy, after all our flag can be any size.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 27, 2011
8:25 PM

Post #8658896

Thanks Karen, my niece has 2 boys in the family and lots of veterans. She was wanting the Blue Star, but I think I'm going to design her a flag wall hanging to go over the fireplace along with pics and medals of the Dads, Grandpas, nephews, sons, etc. that she wants to include. Her Blue Star will go in one of her windows to honor her sons.. I think I'll make it about the same size as one of those 'banners' that are hung outside of houses that have birdhouses, or flowers on.

Thunder, thanks for the links. Seems like it's like everything else, even though the 'official' sites have their rules, most of it is open to interpretation to the readers. I suppose if I offend someone that walks by my house, that notices I've made something too big or not quite right, they'll let me know...!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

June 27, 2011
8:39 PM

Post #8658938

I can't imagine anyone being offended by a banner honoring service persons no matter the size or shape.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 28, 2011
3:31 AM

Post #8659238

I'm still amazed that living right next to Ft Meade, in a predominately military neighborhood, and driving on post I have never seen one of these.
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

June 28, 2011
3:33 AM

Post #8659241

I to am amazed. I live 5 min from military base and the first time I see these is on a quilting thread??????

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

June 28, 2011
4:08 AM

Post #8659283

I'd inquire at the Legion or VFW. Just to hear what they have to say. I heard of it several years ago...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 28, 2011
4:41 AM

Post #8659321

It must not be a MD/DC thing!!!!!

This message was edited Jun 28, 2011 6:41 AM
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

June 28, 2011
5:04 AM

Post #8659356

It is sad that a small gesture as to hang a star banner has been forgottten.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

June 28, 2011
5:36 AM

Post #8659414

Our family hangs them. Sadly I will be soon for an honorary grandson. and a yellow ribbon too. Only sad because I hate that our military has to do this. Proud that they do.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 26, 2011
11:31 PM

Post #8717767

they may be discouraging the use of blue stars in the window, on or near the military posts...as it is a "sign" that the man of the house is away.
when my son was stationed at FT Campbell, a few years back...they were all told to tell their wives and girl friends not to put up stars, or yellow ribbons, and such...as it was a "welcome sign" for thieves!!! ( how sad )
But when we went to Ft Bragg, at Christmas time ...there were a lot of houses with ribbons, and / or stars. and A lot of Welcome Home signs...seems lots of units coming and going from there all the time...

I have stars in my windows, and fly my flag 24/7/365 !!! when ever my son gets deployed, I put a ribbon ( red, whites, blues, and yellows ) on my fence every day that he is out of country, may seem silly to some...but it comforts me, to have a private moment, each day , for my son and all the other troops in harms way, And I wear RED every Friday. we all do what we gotta do...
Thea1962
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2011
9:16 AM

Post #8718464

Same here Thunder, it is discouraged show any signs if you are living of Base (but close enough to a base), to protect against thieves or worse (if the wife was without husband). But on Base we were all in the same boat, so we did tie ribbons.
Not silly at all, the people that think that way have never had a loved one deployed. If it helps you to cope and comforts you that is ALL that counts !!
Hope your son comes soon home safe and sound.
Hugs Thea

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 27, 2011
7:43 PM

Post #8719897

I just decided to make one and not worry about the size. Supposedly, the American Legion started the posting on the Banners, but now it's not on their site. I get a 404 Error, can't find the page when I use the link provided on a Search, and have gone thru their site, without locating any info. The Military Moms site has info, and a couple others, but all with different sizes, so unless the quilt police arrive or a Military rep. knocks on her door, my niece is getting a nice size banner to hang wherever she wants... There are too many people who think that hanging banners or flags outside your home is unnecessary and cause lots of legal problems. I suppose they don't have family in the military or give them the honor they deserve... oooops, I'm on my soapbox again, sorry folks!

Thanks to all for the replies!

Thumbnail by Kizmo
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2011
3:36 AM

Post #8720399

I don't think it is because they don't care Kizmo - I think it is more out of fear. This world has changed so drastically and they hesitate to invite trouble. It sickens me to think that something so meaningful to a family would be an invite to a burglar or worse. Love seems to have gone out the window in place of fear in this country and it is so sad...

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2011
11:39 AM

Post #8734440

http://www.legion.org/troops/bluestar

Kathy, this is from the American Legion site.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2011
12:28 PM

Post #8734551

Thanks Linda! Working on finishing my niece's today, her son is home for a few weeks before going out again.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

August 3, 2011
12:49 PM

Post #8734604

Good for you Kathy. I think the thought and meaning are far more important than worrying about exact size and/or colors. I will bring comfort to your niece and honors her son and that is what matters most.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America