Photo by Melody

Garden Talk: companion question - sunflowers & morning glories?

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 1, Views: 31
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Janiejoy
Silver Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 23, 2011
7:32 PM

Post #8650269

Just wondering. About to plant some Velvet Queen and Lemon Queen sunflowers with Autumn Beauty behind them...
Could I plant some Grandpa Ott morning glories to climb them?

I think it would be so pretty. Our beans are climbing our corn and that really seems to work well. We need more growing space - Butternut squash plants are taking over the garden. Can these be transplanted without hurting the harvest or should we just try to move the stuff UNDER these giants?

Thanks for your help.
Janie

Thumbnail by Janiejoy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2011
6:18 AM

Post #8774284

It's too late to answer your question maybe, but I will anyway. Yes, you can grow morning glories on sunflowers. You can also grow them on shrubs and trees and let them twine around them. Then it looks like the shrubs/trees are blooming. I saw a picture somewhere of a sunflower/mg combination and it was so pretty.

I'm not one to believe people when they say "it can't be done", so if I want to do something, I usually just try it and see what happens. Did you try it? If so, I'd love to see some pictures!

I think the sunflowers would be so pretty with moonflower mg growing on them. They bloom at night and it would look like they're suspended in mid-air.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America