Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Fragrant Gardening: can you smell it!

Communities > Forums > Fragrant Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Fragrant GardeningReplies: 2, Views: 53
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
darkeyes1023
Hazelcrest, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 23, 2011
7:52 PM

Post #8650356

I walk back and forth in front of my gardenia tree just to get waft of the fragrance. I love it.

Thumbnail by darkeyes1023
Click the image for an enlarged view.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2011
7:58 PM

Post #8650368

you really make me long for the days that I could smell. Gardenia was one of my favorites. But alas since 2 sinus surgery I no longer have any smell... After I first lost it my garden buddies at the time would always forget and when I was visiting their gardens they would say come here, come over here, check out this smell...

Funny thing is it has been 3 years since I could smell anything and I can't bring to mind what anything use to smell like...

So I will just take heart in the fact that this use to be one of my favorite smell and just enjoy the beautiful opening bud you have shared.

Jan

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 3, 2011
9:25 AM

Post #8669640

Hello darkeyes,
YES, I can smell it. What kind of Gardenia is it? I propagate/raise and sell Gardenia Aimee Yoshioka. I have both the standard and the regular plants and they are all blooming. I just sit and sniff...then when I have my fill of that I go into the greenhouse and smell the " Maid of Orleans" Jasmine, which I also propagate and sell.
I have this thing for fragrance in plants. There is a gardania called the African Gardenia and it has the nicest fragrance. The flowers are tiny , even smaller than Jasmine but they are just beautiful.
This is a bloom on one of the two year old plants I have for sale. I kept 12 of them to prune into standards (trees) and when they all have blooms at the same time. Wowl Almost knocks you over. These flowers will get larger as the plants get older.
It is so nice to find people who enjoy the same plants. Have a wondeful day. JB

Thumbnail by JBerger
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Fragrant Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Are there any easy Gardenias? Heavinscent 56 Jan 25, 2012 8:53 PM
Your most fragrant plants by ranking Heavinscent 201 Aug 28, 2008 11:34 PM
Most Fragrant Petunias... zville123 41 Jul 31, 2014 3:55 PM
Fragrant Iris List violabird 8 Jan 19, 2008 3:38 PM
Michelia alba lovetropics 77 Sep 22, 2008 5:01 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America