-
AuthorContent
melsalz
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2011
6:17 AM

Post #8651042

And I am so excited! I have no idea what color it's going to be. I bought it last year and forgot to ask. Looks like it will be pink though. I kept it in a pot submerged all winter. This spring I thought for sure it was dead and had pulled it out to take back for an exchange. Fortunately I kept it in a 5 gallon bucket of water. Lo and behold I started seeing something green. So I took it out of its pot and dropped it into a whiskey barrel. And now this!! I'm amazed at how fast the bud is growing. I wish I had started taking pictures the first day just to see the growth. I know I should be fertilizing but I can't find any pond plant fertilizer in any of the local stores. My leaves just aren't the dark green I feel they should be. We have had many storms over the past month and the poor leaves show the damage. So any suggestions for on line purchasing? I just had to share my excitement!

Thumbnail by melsalz
Click the image for an enlarged view.

realsis

June 24, 2011
6:28 AM

Post #8651052

hi. i highly recomend higland rim fertilizer. its espically made just for lotus and lillys. you can get it online anywhere. its ratio is 10:26:10. for blooming and green leaves! this is what i use and it works GREAT! congradulations on your lotus! its a great feeling to learn they have made it through the winter! now comes the fun part! watching her bloom!
realsis

June 24, 2011
6:33 AM

Post #8651061

this is my lotus

Thumbnail by realsis

realsis

June 24, 2011
6:40 AM

Post #8651075

the highland rim fertilizer has a higher amount of phosphuras in it to promote blooming and its also really greened up my leaves. when my lotus first broke dormancy she looked terriable, now after fertizilizer she is doing well. i really swear by this stuff!
realsis

June 26, 2011
11:17 AM

Post #8655726

hi. you might also want to try chealated iron. the lotus leaves being a light green color is saving that the micronutrient this plant is missing is iron. you can buy a large jug of chealated iron online very cheaply. just add a small amount to the lotus water. the plant will take in the iron and her leaves will be much greener! i also use a very small amount of chealated iron on my lotus. the plant seems to respond well and her leaves are a deeper green! i had the same problem last year with my plant leaves being a light yellowish green. after i used the iron they became deep green again. i hope this helps you! good luck!
melsalz
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 27, 2011
12:52 PM

Post #8657959

Thank you Sis for your suggestions. Where do you buy your Highland Rim fertilizer and chealated iron from? There are several places on the web that offer it. Wondered if you knew the cheapest.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 27, 2011
1:11 PM

Post #8657975

Lowes has iron, I think it's $14.99 for a gallon.
melsalz
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 27, 2011
2:29 PM

Post #8658128

Thanks Mary, I'll have to look. The Lowe's here does not carry pond water plant fertilizer. Where do you get yours?
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 27, 2011
7:33 PM

Post #8658738

You won't find the iron in the plant/pond section at Lowes...but you'll find it indoors by the normal potted plant fertilizers.
realsis

June 27, 2011
7:33 PM

Post #8658739

hi. i buy my highland rim fertizilizer off ebay sometimes, and if i want a bigger bulk size i shop directly off looking up highland rim usually amazon. what made this fertizilizer better than the others is the high phoursphus contient! 10:26:10. i have found it far superior to other pond tabs! now as for the chelated iron, i buy that from gemplers i got 128 oz. for about 20.00! gemplers is http://www.gemplers.com or 18003828473. thats their phone number. last year my lotus was yellowing and after applying a small amount of the chelated iron it bounced back green as ever! now i use it along with my highland rim tabs and ive had great success! huge green leaves! no problems this year. i even give the iron to my baby lotus after the first four leaves have appeared! i swear by the stuff! many people put steel wool in the bottom of pots for an iron source but ive found the liquid to work much faster! i even use it on my lawn when i have burnt spots and it greens that up too! its wonderful to have on hand! i believe the yellowing is called chlorosis. iron should cure it right up!
melsalz
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2011
6:26 AM

Post #8667632

She's Blooming!!!!!!

Thumbnail by melsalz

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 2, 2011
8:33 AM

Post #8667842

Beautiful! I love the pink ones the most!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2011
8:36 AM

Post #8667849

Congrats melsalz. She's pretty.
realsis

July 2, 2011
10:11 AM

Post #8667998

thats sooo beautiful! congrats! :) what a wonderful feeling! yea! :)
helenchild
Decatur, GA

July 8, 2011
1:16 PM

Post #8680584

I have used Aquatic Spikes in my lilly and lotus plants. They last a year and my plants keep making blooms. I recommend them but I am an amatuer and there may be better fertilizers out there.
Helen

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2011
1:24 PM

Post #8680590

Helen, Aquatic Spikes? Where can we purchase them from?
helenchild
Decatur, GA

July 8, 2011
1:49 PM

Post #8680626

I have been getting them for a number of years but I can't recall at the moment the name of the company. But I can't recall where I ordered them from this year. (I am at work)
I just did a quick google and here is a site selling them at a very good price. I have paid twice that. Considering it a once a year application it isn't expensive.
But there were many other choices.

http://pondplants.biz/index.php/products/agsafe-aquatic-spikes-8-spike-bag

Helen
helenchild
Decatur, GA

July 8, 2011
1:55 PM

Post #8680636

Wait just a second.
I found the place I ordered it from. The other site I gave you the product isn't in stock.
Scroll down to the second product:

http://www.pondandgardenwholesalers.com/servlet/Categories

This should be better.

Helen, who keeps trying. :-)

melsalz
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 9, 2011
9:10 AM

Post #8681985

Thanks Helen for the info and link.
I have another bloom starting, which is just as exciting as the first. I have been lazy in ordering fertilizer. I'm trying an organic route to see what happens. I live on an old dairy farm. Under our barn is 50 year old cow poop, dried and hard. I put some in a bucket and added water. Instant tea! I figured the worse that could happen would be green water. Of course if I added too much, dead plant. So far I'm not seeing any effects at all. I did buy some chealated iron but have yet to get it into the water too. Today is the day though!!!

Thumbnail by melsalz

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 345 Apr 13, 2014 11:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America