Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Hostas: Increasing Survival of Mini: Pandora's Box . . . Advice Plz

Communities > Forums > Hostas
bookmark
Forum: HostasReplies: 15, Views: 114
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
50glee
Huntersville, NC

June 24, 2011
1:29 PM

Post #8652004

Pandora's Box is an adorable too cute mini hosta, that I have successfully lost TWICE.

I am getting another one and am making a list of all the things I should do to increase its survival!
(Obviously my mere common sense has NOT been enough!)

That said; please offer suggestions on Keeping Pandora's Box Alive . . .just to 2012 Spring.
(I should KNOW what to do after that! . . .hopefully! :-))

All suggestions welcomed!
Paul2063
Pleasant Grove, UT

June 24, 2011
2:06 PM

Post #8652080

I have lost several Pandora's Box but like it so keep trying. A few years ago I found a nice plant with several divisions at a local nursery. I planted it where it gets filtered sun and some late day sun and no other special treatment, with other Hosta. So far so good. If you can get an established plant in a pot plant I would recommend it. If not I might pot it for a couple of seasons and give extra attention until it has a good root system. Here is mine.

Thumbnail by Paul2063
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Paul2063
Pleasant Grove, UT

June 24, 2011
2:07 PM

Post #8652083

another look at PB with neighbor Pau'ls Glory looking on.

This message was edited Jun 24, 2011 3:08 PM

Thumbnail by Paul2063

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

June 24, 2011
2:26 PM

Post #8652125

OMG! it's soooooo cute. The whole plant is the size of one leaf from Paul's Glory!
I hear they are fussy, can't be too wet, can't be too dry.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 24, 2011
8:22 PM

Post #8652884

I think they ARE fussy. Mine was doing quite well until 2 years ago. I had a shallow metal pot sunk into the garden. Had holes for drainage, but in a wet year they were inadequate. I nearly lost everything. Dug up, potted and moved all of the Baby Bunting family. They are still with me but PB is very small and Cherish is even smaller.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2011
3:17 AM

Post #8653124

Mine is similar to Ann's...was doing fine up until last year and now seems to be dwindling away. No idea what went wrong with it.
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2011
5:33 AM

Post #8653268

When I bought my PB a couple of years ago I divided it and planted it in four locations. One dry, one wet, one very wet and the other inside the open root of a Silver Maple. It doesn't like dry or very wet. The one beneath a birdbath gets watered often by the birds and is doing fine. It has the longest petioles. The one in the tree root looks the best to me. It doesn't have a lot of soil in there and it can't pull moisture from the surrounding soil so I have to keep that watered. I have to move the dry and very wet ones before I lose them. I have the added disadvatage of the feeder roots from my maples going against me.

I find that it doesn't like full shade. Of my two that do the best the one under the birdbath gets a couple hours of early morning sun only while the one in the tree root gets no morning sun and only a couple of hours of early afternoon 40% shade.

I also have the other sports of Baby Bunting. Cameo, Cherish & Hope. They don't seem to be as picky as Pandora's Box.
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2011
6:28 AM

Post #8653331

Here is a pic showing them in their four locations. I was told by an expert that the one planted in the root would die.

Thumbnail by franknjim

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2011
7:12 AM

Post #8653392

Thanks for sharing that, I have seen the one in the tree root before and I thought it was a real cute idea and it's your call, you keep it watered and it looks happy there. To me it looks the best of the four, go figure. Is that moss in there, did you plant that or does it just happen to grow in your area?
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2011
8:30 AM

Post #8653573

The moss just grew there on its own. I don't have that type of moss growing anywhere else in my yard. Before I put down mulch last year the surface of my soil would turn green because I rarely ever let it dry out. It was algae.
Rose1656
Oquawka, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2011
8:58 AM

Post #8653634

I'm not going to jinx mine by telling you how well mine is doing...So, just ignore this post! Not sure why, but it's always been a good looking little hosta in my garden.

Thumbnail by Rose1656

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2011
9:43 AM

Post #8653715

Knock-on-wood ! That is awesome. I see you have pine needles around it. I hear that puts acid into the soil, around here people use around Azalea's and they (the Azalea's) are stunning under a pine tree. :)
50glee
Huntersville, NC

June 25, 2011
11:31 AM

Post #8653881

Hmmm Yes! VirginiaRose, those do look like pine needles! And her PB looks happy too!

I also noticed Franks wet with mulch/ good drainage looks good too!

Come to think, the one that did the best was in an outside planter looking good and I moved it to 'winter over'.
But it was a moist environment. That planter had a moisture retention liner.

Ok folks I'm taking and implementing these suggestions!
I want to have the planter ready for when I bring her home in Mid July.
EGADS . . sounds like a newborn! lol
SongsofJoy
New Hampshire, NH
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2011
11:44 AM

Post #8653898

Glad I stumbled on this thread. I just got PB a couple weeks ago. I didn't know it was finicky. Love it tucked in the root!
50glee
Huntersville, NC

June 25, 2011
3:52 PM

Post #8654231

Good Luck!
tracey8165
Pembroke, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2011
5:52 PM

Post #8654460

I don't do anything special with mine, but it seems to be happy. It is in partial shade. It gets morning sun, but not hot afternoon sun. I found it didn't do well in the spot where it was getting afternoon sun so I moved it to its present location. I give it compost in the spring and fertilizer in the summer and fall. Also, I cover it for winter protection. And I mulch it. I have a soaker hose that keeps it moist, but not overly wet. That's it! Hope this helps.

Tracey

Thumbnail by tracey8165

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hostas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Your Favorite Hosta... blonde_elf 117 Nov 16, 2009 7:06 PM
Mania Links pupper 5 May 21, 2007 10:11 PM
Help me choose leslie 10 Jul 16, 2008 10:40 AM
Lovely Loretta jody 55 Jun 23, 2007 11:02 AM
cup hostas handhelpers 11 Aug 25, 2007 7:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America