Photo by Melody

Roses: Rose addiction withdrawlssomeone talk me out of this one!

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 9, Views: 94
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 24, 2011
2:11 PM

Post #8652090

OK, so I've been wanting Morning Mist for some time...I've not been able to get out into the garden and really fuss, prune, and generally groom my little darlings due to recent broken fingers. But I'm back and am starting to dream about filling in my most recent new beds. I have some good roses started amongst the weeds (future dead weeds!), but they need more friends. So, naturally I'm thinking of Morning Mist again. Its not showing up on HMF as available in the US and it looks like Hortico is the only Canadian company that really has it on their availability list. No! No! Not Hortico--that usually doesn't end well! =~0. So I went wandering down to Chamblee's and got a Buck fix there, but still...Morning Mist is the one I want! http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.6696.2

I can't remember if Hortico does a fall shipment, but my fingers keep edging towards the phone to call and see. The last time I ordered from them they sent OK looking roses (I can deal with small as long as its healthy) but they turned out to be mislabelled. And the time before as well. The first time it was OK because I had so few roses and I wanted them anyway. But this time I would be very disapointed since Morning Mist is the one I want. You all know...to satisfy that one particular itch!

So should I do it??? Will Hortico enable me or will I be enabling Hortico? That is the question.
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

June 24, 2011
2:18 PM

Post #8652103

Can you find someone who grows it, and get cuttings? I would be willing to try to root it for you.
Don't enable Hortico!
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 24, 2011
4:50 PM

Post #8652439

LOL! It is in the Alba group. I think those need some cold in the winter so its probably not the best rose for my area. I'll see what happens...somehow I'll lay my little fingers on one! I'll let you know...=D (eye twitch, eye twitch--deep in withdrawls)

I'm not actually sure why I would want a grafted one. I have kind of the same question about Malvern Hills. Why grafted?
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 24, 2011
5:09 PM

Post #8652469

Maybe you can find another rose that you like as well until you get Morning Mist from a reputable nursery. If it is new to the states, maybe other nurseries will start carrying this pretty rose. Austin has some single and peony type roses - Buttercup, Windflower, the Alexandra rose. None are the same color, but I like their form.

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.18157
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.51214
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.136083

I have been researching hardy roses. This one caught my eye because of its "poppy like" blooms - Scabrosa. It is a bright pink.

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.49225
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 24, 2011
5:11 PM

Post #8652472

I can't help you the addition. I actually did a search on Pickering's website to see whether they carry it!

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

June 24, 2011
10:11 PM

Post #8653012

Check back with Pickering in Sept. when they resume orders, maybe they will be updating and add it in.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2011
12:36 AM

Post #8653076

I think that's a great idea. The roses I have been getting from them are incredible. I ordered three more this year that are great, and the exchange rate favors us.
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2011
5:11 AM

Post #8653233

Don't forget Palatine,they also resuming orders on Sept.1st.
I assume they'll add new roses to their stock but I don't know how often they do that ? does anyone know ? Sue ?
I bought 6 or 7 from them this spring and they're doing great ,no blooms yet.

Windflower is such a beautiful rose and the Alexandra rose I've had on my wish list for a long time.

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2011
11:50 PM

Post #8654933

No Brigitte, I am not sure about Palatines stock or when they add new items. I have only ordered from them a couple of times. HMF shows that Pickering supposedly carries Morning Mist even though it currently doesn't show on their site. If one nursery from Canada carries it, I don't see why the other wouldn't have the same access to carrying them also. Maybe they can be called and asked about the rose in question.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 12, 2011
7:14 AM

Post #8687745

Thanks for the tips, guys! I've been away for a few weeks.

I may hold out and just give Pickering's a try in the fall. I would prefer to order from them.

I have Buttercup and love it. It is one of the few roses that is holding up really well to the prolonged drought and heat in my area right now. No rain for over six weeks for my garden now. Not many blooms at all but Buttercup doesn't seem to mind at all.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America