AuthorContent

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 24, 2011
3:33 PM

Post #8652270

The other thread was growing very quickly, so here is a new one.
We came from here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1189639/

This is Tantra again, but it is lovely.

Thumbnail by Seachanger
Click the image for an enlarged view.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 24, 2011
4:03 PM

Post #8652332

It is lovely Dianne thanks for that ...great contributions in the last thread, Winter is a good time to catch up on info and do some detective work ...speaking of which Columbo (Peter ) passed over, gosh there goes another one we grew up with.

I am hoping to get out into some Sun today, it's been a cold night but the day may be friendlier.
Some buds are still growing on a few of my Brugs despite Frost so this bloom starved gardener is hanging out to see them but in Winter they take ages to grow out of the Calyx and usually stay green for ages ...still :) it gives us something to watch for.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 24, 2011
4:10 PM

Post #8652351

Lovely Dianne.
My brugs are still looking very green with only a few leaves yellowing. They seem to stand up better in the cold as they grow.
We havent had the severe cold and frosts like last year as yet. I hope we dont either.
My baby seedlings have grown over an inch since I moved them to the greenhouse.
Hubby, the dear man is going to help me with putting a few higher pieces of wood to raise the shadecloth so the taller brugs can still stay under it.
BB has pushed himself right up and looks out over the shadecloth. i am going to move the very large echium and cut a few shrubs back later in Spring , when its a bit warmer. Ssome of the big brugs will then go into the ground where they are and the smaller ones can stand around and chat under them.
I am disappointed with the progress of Pink Panther here It just grows enough for me to keep it around.
I feel that I will be doing some crossing with the German seeds as they eventually flower . They seem to grow best of all the seeds I have tried.
Must be cold weather hardiness in their genes.
Chrissy, I see that BB still has very large leaves. I though they may be smaller once he flowered .
GHA has large leaves when young but after he has flowered , they are much smaller.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 24, 2011
10:59 PM

Post #8653050

Colleen's lovely Riverland Frosty Pink, is always flushing, grew very easily from cuttings and is a pretty flower with a lovely perfume..
but ever since It has grown, it has had what looks to me like the mosaic virus, now I am only going by photos, because I hadn't seen the virus before.. so I keep it a distance from the others, just in case..because it seems to be there all the time.

When we were discussing GHA not growing well for Alistair, it made me think of this one...I don't think it has been determined if RFP and Frosty Pink are the same, but has anyone else had this problem with either of them?

If I am the only one that has, then I will have to figure out why...because it never seems to be totally free of it...and it's the only one...
Here is a leaf with the problem...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 25, 2011
12:10 AM

Post #8653068

Dianne, I had similar on Mango Cornet, but it went away after a while and I have not seen it again on any.
I have Frosty but no sign of it and Colleens RFP hasnt shown any sign either.
Maybe its just a particular weather/ temp thing that triggers it.
Perhaps when the plants are younger and more vulnerable to things, then they may develop resistance as they grow.
I know my MC cutting was only about 3 months old and about 18"high at the time.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 25, 2011
2:28 AM

Post #8653107

I don't think it's anything sinister Dianne just a climate thing probably but I am no expert ...check the PH just to make sure it's ok.
As the soil cools the nutrients are not all available.
Sometimes white fly damage can leave that look but it's hard to tell from a picture.
I don't think I would worry too much about it, keep it apart from the others until the Spring growth comes on if you are concerned.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 25, 2011
2:52 AM

Post #8653110

Dianne. re RFP. check for red spider mite. You'll be able to see little webs if it's them. Last year Brian had mites and got those predatory mites from the Loxton Research centre. They soon cleaned them up for him. I believe you can buy something called Malathion and spray with. A lot of my brugs have mottly leaves but as Chrissy said I think that is a weather thing. Winter varigation. Alistair did say once that all the brugs carry the virus but it doesn't show in them all and it doesn't harm the growth or the flowers. Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 25, 2011
5:59 AM

Post #8653296

Thanks, Colleen and Chrissy. it really is a puzzle..
Ph is similar to others in pots and bugs of any sort not a problem...
I would love to say it's the weather, but it's been almost a year.
What I might try is to put one of them in the ground...they might be more inclined to mottle when they are in the pot...that way I will know for sure...
So I will plant one out in Spring...I will post the results when I can see a difference.
Dianne
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 25, 2011
3:05 PM

Post #8654162

Dianne, in regard to the suggestion of malathion spray, I would be very careful with this. In fact I think it has been banned in most states. Aside from the fact that it stinks, it can be deadly to all the insects around , good & bad.
I use white oil or simply water with a little eucalyptus oil . add a smidgeon of detergent to make it stick to the leaves.
I get spider mite every year on a few brugs, especially FP , Zabaglione and Elfin Pink.
I have found that the eucalyptus oil/water or white oil seems to work over a few days applications. The mites here come out int he warm weather. Nothing seen in the cold.
I have a touch of chlorosis ? on a couple of the brugs, which I think is due to the lack of nutrients in the cold .
Doesnt seem to bother them and they will all pick up later when feeding begins again.
By the way, when I use the eucalyptus spray, I usually do all the brugs , epis & zygos. It discourages any other insects lurking ready to munch.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 25, 2011
7:10 PM

Post #8654649

It's ok, Jean...I am well aware of the problems with Malathion...I threw out a bottle years ago...when I have to, I use your Eucalyptus method...I started that last year...

Colleen, do you still want a cutting of the Tree Dahlia?...they are starting to die down so it will be ready to cut soon...

Still heaps of snails here, never seen them in such numbers...

I received three crosses in the seeds that Chrissy sent 18mnths ago and the last, Apricot Versi x ?, has y'd, but I think that it will be too cold for a result from that one. Funny that one of each y'd...how considerate of them...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 25, 2011
10:35 PM

Post #8654907

Couldnt resist. He may not have giant flowers, but he blooms better than any of my other brugs.
Of course, my golden boy today. GHA
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 25, 2011
10:55 PM

Post #8654916

Jean your boy is so handsome. Yes please Dianne. Have not been able to find anyone growing it around here. I'm still after the white one as well. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 27, 2011
2:30 AM

Post #8656988

My lovely GHA is budding up too after a bit of Frost shock, I would love it to bloom just once more so I can enjoy that perfume.
I so miss my Angels already.
I found some pods have grown on some of my last minute crosses so I am happy. Buck's Fizz x Butter Bomb, Butter Bomb x Hope, Jean's first German bloom x Hope (same cross), Domain x Buck's Fizz, Pink Panther x Butter bomb,Pink Panther x Twilight Time. I am really surprised and delighted to have pods, I really did not hold much hope for them.

What pods do you have anyone?
Any more success with Knightii crosses?
Don't forget to note the temps and conditions when you do your crosses, it will help in the future.
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

June 27, 2011
1:58 PM

Post #8658050

They will be interesting to watch Chrissy!

Here we have:
'Domain' x 'Old Apricot'
'Clementine' x 'Coral Reef'
'Adele Essex' x 'Coral Reef'
'Love Potion no.9' x 'Pink Panther'
'Mea Culpa' x 'Alphonse Mucha'

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

June 27, 2011
2:06 PM

Post #8658061

A different year weather wise to last...
Here is 'Clementine' blooming away! 'Butter Bomb' is in full bloom as is the aurea. Last year it was heavy frosts for four days.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

June 27, 2011
8:36 PM

Post #8658922

A Yellow Iochroma!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20217462@N02/5741677577/in/photostream/

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 27, 2011
10:18 PM

Post #8659066

Wow... I want one...
Lucas, isnt it beautiful ?
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 27, 2011
10:40 PM

Post #8659094

Oh my goodness I have never heard of a yellow one before ...must google :)
Yes ...it's really real.
How rare is that, pretty rare I think thanks Lucas, who knew ^_^
Lovely Wayne ...can't wait

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 27, 2011
11:14 PM

Post #8659126

It must be Iochroma day...found this one in the Geelong gardens this afternoon...Jean, it's pink is hot pink and it's on a very large bush...I walked past it at first, then I noticed the leaves...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 27, 2011
11:18 PM

Post #8659129

Here is the bush..It's almost finished flowering and about 6ft x 6ft

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 27, 2011
11:23 PM

Post #8659130

At first I thought that it was one of those Fuschias with the long corolla...that's when I noticed the leaves.
Unfortunately the plant ID has long gone...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

June 27, 2011
11:24 PM

Post #8659131

I'm not convinced that is an Iochroma, Dianne, it looks like some kind of Fuchsia to me, the petals are longer than any Iochroma I've seen and they are split... whatever it is its a new one on me :)

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 27, 2011
11:26 PM

Post #8659132

Take a look at the leaf in the first pic, Lucas ...it's about 10 ins long.

This message was edited Jun 28, 2011 5:27 PM

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

June 27, 2011
11:38 PM

Post #8659137

LOL am still not convinced ;)
I agree the leaf is very similar but its the arrangement of the flowers and those long petals that's got me. and its got these secondary petals that's also thrown me

and look at the fruit forming in your last pic and compare, iochroma have freshy rounded fruits
looks a lot like Fuchsia boliviana ;)

http://botany.si.edu/onagraceae/OnagrImages/Fuchsiaboliviana1.jpg
http://www.plantthis.com.au/plant-information.asp?gardener=14845&tabview=photos&plantSpot=0

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 27, 2011
11:54 PM

Post #8659140

When I'm there, I can never resist this Sanguinea...the ID calls it the Eagle Tree...anyone know why?

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 27, 2011
11:57 PM

Post #8659141

Here is it's flower... I will look at your link in a sec, Lucas

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 28, 2011
12:01 AM

Post #8659142

Bugger, I think that you are right...and I was planning to nick a bit, next trip...oh well...lol

This message was edited Jun 28, 2011 6:03 PM

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

June 28, 2011
12:04 AM

Post #8659143

Outstanding. :)

I think Eagle Tree had some association with certain South American Indian tribe's mythology or similar, forgot exactly...

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

June 28, 2011
12:08 AM

Post #8659145

It's an oldie that sang, decent trunk on it.

Looks like it could do with a prune ;) lol

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 28, 2011
12:16 AM

Post #8659148

I think it's a Cantua Dianne ...yummy!
http://www.global-garden.com.au/backissuez/0111feature1.htm

Edited to say Lucas is right ...guess I got a bit excited Wayne and I were lusting after the cantua last year ...that's a very nice plant just the same.

This message was edited Jun 28, 2011 6:34 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 28, 2011
12:18 AM

Post #8659149

Yes it is a wonderful old tree, a bit of it is now in a pot, trying to strike...:-)

They have a collection box at the exit, I almost always have to contribute...
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 28, 2011
12:20 AM

Post #8659150

Sorry Chrissie, the lengths of the flowers are similar, but I have a Cantua...
I would say that Lucas is correct...

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

June 28, 2011
12:32 AM

Post #8659154

Cantua buxifolia "Sacred Flower of the Incas" is another beauty though, I've seen a few stunning ones around here. Love it, looks like a Brug or Iochroma and from same habitat an Andean subtropical.
I really like it, it's the most nondescript, ordinary-looking thing when not in bloom and then when it flowers it is completely tranformed, magic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20217462@N02/5738101151/

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 28, 2011
12:36 AM

Post #8659155

ha ha ha I was editing my post to say that Lucas was right while you guys posted ...nice plant any way ...do you have a picture of your cantua ?

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 28, 2011
12:46 AM

Post #8659158

It's a hard thing to photograph, Chrissy... flower photos are best, which I will take when it flowers...It's just a mass of thin twigs with little leaves otherwise...
Mine is the C. buxifolia the 2 tone pink...I have been looking for the yellow and white for a while...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 28, 2011
1:24 AM

Post #8659173

I thought you may have a photo from when it bloomed ...never mind , next time.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 28, 2011
1:55 AM

Post #8659178

No pics Chrissy...I only bought mine last year ...certainly this year there will be pics..

Good luck in that comp...you are doing well...

This message was edited Jun 28, 2011 7:59 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 28, 2011
3:57 AM

Post #8659267

I have dropped out of it Dianne because we are a day ahead and it wouldn't be fair because we get in before the others. It's fun just to watch ...what fun. I felt awful when I realized that I had got in ahead with the first answers, sometimes it's difficult when we are awake while others are asleep and visa versa. :)
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 28, 2011
3:06 PM

Post #8660535

Dianne, that sang definitely looks like it needs a prune. Lucky I am not there or I would help 'relocate' a piece or two.
I do like the flowers on the cantua too. I thought of fuchsia when I saw the flowers.
Lucas , you are great on getting these IDs. BTW, the sangs are looking really good here so far.
Jean

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 28, 2011
4:36 PM

Post #8660712

Thrown off again so I will come back after ...:)

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 28, 2011
9:15 PM

Post #8661327

Something is happening, it's getting hard to post pics too.

Have a look at the difference between Old Apricot and my Aurea...side by side, but in condition miles apart...The Aurea has all it's leaves and plenty of buds, but Old Apricot is showing signs of the cold weather...in fact it looks downright ratty, but it's holding the seed pods...so it's forgiven...

None of my others have been affected by the cold as badly as OA.
I think it's because his head is above the fence line, he needs a scarf for his neck...the Aurea doesn't care, he must like looking around...Jean, your GHA is next to the Aurea and he doesn't care either...lol

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 28, 2011
9:49 PM

Post #8661365

Dianne, your aurea certainly looks just like GHA.
I tell everyone that if a plant grows here, it will grow anywhere.
I think we have proven that the aureas like the cold. I know Chrissy is pleased with him up there too.
My other brugs are starting to get a few yellow leaves now but lots of new shoots showing.
I am looking forward to warm weather when I can start planting some in the ground and get the new frame up for the shadecloth.
Its more for the cold weather as they dont mind the hot weather here.
My pods are still green and hanging on. I am hoping the two on Frosty come to something too.
I am going to go mad with pollen this season and see what I can get.
Jean.

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

June 28, 2011
10:03 PM

Post #8661381

Yeah OA seems to hate the cold, almost completely defoliates and goes chlorotic in the cooler months and is very virus-prone... I'm not very impressed with it. but it always survives...

Are it's genetics promising? Any good hybrids involving it?
Also are there any hybrids of Maya? Do we only have the one variegate in Aust.?

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 28, 2011
10:23 PM

Post #8661399

There is another , Lucas...it's called Peaches n Cream and Maya gets sold as it quite frequently...there is an excellent description of both on the BGI site...evidently the problem doesn't only exist here...
Peaches n Cream has a much longer corolla...
In Europe/ US, of course there are quite a few...Mario on BGI has quite a collection..
I don't know of any Maya hybrids, Chrissy will probably know...I read somewhere that the variegation isn't passed on by seed...So it probably doesn't get used much...

As far as Old Apricot is concerned, I don't know of any particularly great offspring, but now it is getting introduced to
OS hybrids we may see something come of it...

This message was edited Jun 29, 2011 4:27 PM

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

June 28, 2011

Post #8661401

Dianne your aurea does indeed look identical to mine from where I'm sitting (and GHA too, for that matter ;)). It puts out some huge leaves, but mainly before a Y.

Yeah it seems to be untroubled by the cold (the wind is another matter, though yours appears to have held up better than mine...)

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 28, 2011
10:29 PM

Post #8661410

The wind a few days ago ruined all of it's flowers, Lucas...the leaves were ok.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 30, 2011
10:00 PM

Post #8665473

Has anyone noticed this is getting a bit clunky to work ...I think everyone has since it's gone very quiet, I have been enjoying FB I know that is sacrilege, but I am finding it very interactive and wonderful for looking at other gardens etc ... some of the gardens are just awesome!

So Jean has received her seeds from BGI another tick for getting them through customs :) wonderful ! and good luck with those Jean.

Every time we hear this it's good news for the rest of us.

My plants seem to be ditching the buds to put on a growth effort because of the mild days.
I am gritting my teeth not to feed them because sure as eggs if I do the Frost will get Frostier.

Some Frost damage in the thin end pieces but so far so good, only 8 weeks to go.

cestrum where have you gone?

I hope you are ok. I have a little bud on that prickly hibiscus cutting you sent me, I hope it will survive the frost I have it on a warm ledge and the hybrid China doll cuttings are growing too.

Well lets hope this post goes through ...I don't dare add a pic ...maybe later,
I hope everyone is enjoying their day.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 30, 2011
11:09 PM

Post #8665520

I think that I am following you Chrissie,
It took over an hour to put the worm farm pics on today...
I wonder what the problem is?
Jean, what did you choose in your seeds from BGI?
I ordered some a week ago..

Hyb. J.T. Sessions-Dorthea x El Dorado ,
Hyb Edna Murphee-Dorthea x Unknown

A couple of weeks ago, a link posted by Lucas had a name, that was familiar to me but I couldn't place it and when I went in to BGI...there it was...Michael Graupe...

Dianne.

This message was edited Jul 1, 2011 8:13 PM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 30, 2011
11:10 PM

Post #8665521

Chrissy, I have had no problem with DG at all. so it may be your browser. ( I should say that quietly in case I jinx myself )
I have just been out in the greenhouse potting a few brug seeds. I thought I would try half now and the rest later.
My brugs are all undecided as to what the weather is.. There are some yellowing leaves dropping off as is usual during the cold, but there is also heaps of new growth all over them. I will have plenty of material for cuttings by the look of things.
This is providing we dont suddenly get hit with any very cold or frosty weather.
GHA & BB are still putting out buds.
Jean.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 30, 2011
11:13 PM

Post #8665526

Dianne , I have Peanut x Goldenes Kornett and Karoline X Kaitlyn

Jean.

This message was edited Jul 2, 2011 8:52 AM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 30, 2011
11:51 PM

Post #8665541

I have the Complete Norton's thingo and find it quite intrusive ...but because I go to many you tubes I feel safer with the big guns in the security department , perhaps it's the new ads in d's g that are causing my security to freak out or something.
It often stops everything for an update or warning.
I get all the writing done then add a pic then get a timed out notice.
looks like things are going through now ...might try a pic later. :)

Nice crosses ladies ...hope they are beautiful for you.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 1, 2011
12:21 AM

Post #8665559

It only seems to be the pics for me, they upload, but then I get the "waiting for dave's garden timed out notice"...it's been happening for a week...

Interesting crosses, Jean...I love all this gene diversity that we will have...Peanut is such a pretty flower too.

Is Goldenes Kornett growing anywhere here in Australia?...Does anyone know of it?

It seems to be very like our southern Aurea...GHA , mine and Lucas'. only longer tendrils...
It would be interesting to cross your GHA back to one of it's offspring, Jean...
Here it is...thanks to BGI for pic.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 1, 2011
2:57 PM

Post #8666691

That is my main idea Dianne. I want to try for those longer tendrils . I just hope the GHA perfume goes along with the crosses eventually.
First, I have to grow the seeds.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 1, 2011
3:40 PM

Post #8666778

Great minds think alike,Jean...lol
It will be interesting for you...interesting for all of us really.
I enjoy watching all the seeds' journeys

Another of my seedlings flowered this morning, another white, though it could have been any colour the snails ate it all...

Yes, cestrum...where are you?

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 1, 2011
6:31 PM

Post #8667014

Well it's a beautiful day here, almost like Spring ...bright sun, might hit 20C.
Love this weather ...

I am so tempted on days like this ...but I sit on my hands, not yet -not yet.
It's only a short time until we will be complaining of the heat.

Looks like our QLD gardeners are all busy ...big expo coming up there, that may be why.

Nothing new to report today ...enjoy your day, it's a stunner.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 1, 2011
8:16 PM

Post #8667226

Some technical issues here but anyway nothing much happening in the garden. Seedpods still green, seedlings in stasis, plants in ground with green buds that are unlikely to open until spring ...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 1, 2011
10:11 PM

Post #8667339

You have problems with the puter too cestrum ? I wonder what is going on, I remember reading something about the sun explosions causing trouble with the satellite transmissions etc ... guess that might not be helping.Things have been moved around in here too, maybe that has caused some issues with the timing out.

Good to know you are ok ...thanks for letting us know, I was worried something had happened to you.
Still worry about Judy.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 2, 2011
5:59 AM

Post #8667545

testing ...ooops it worked!

This message was edited Jul 3, 2011 12:01 AM

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 5, 2011
3:53 PM

Post #8674463

Gosh so quiet in our Winter Brug forum ...but I just had to pop in and say

Thanks Lucas ... I HAVE SPROUTS!!!!!

Now just to keep them alive through Winter ...being cool climate Brugs I am hoping it won't matter to them, so fingers crossed.
Awful weather here ...Heart of Gold had her buds torn off, same with a few others darn it. Oh well it's Winter.
Stay warm everyone.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 5, 2011
4:00 PM

Post #8674469

Still here Chrissy, but nothing much is going on with the brugs at the moment .
I am trying some seed now and will plant more later in the warm. If the warm ever gets here.
The brugs are all looking really green and healthy considering I stopped feeding them ages ago.
Because of the showery, non frost weather, they still have lots of leaves and are growing quite quickly.
I will have to start feeding them soon.
Cant wait for spring/summer to see if I get more Ys and then flowers.
My pods are still hanging on . No sign of turning brown or falling off.
GHA is still putting out buds and flowers.
Jean.
bluebellwoods
Sydney
Australia

July 5, 2011
4:53 PM

Post #8674544

Hope everyone is ok and not too much damage in the garden ...be glad when these cold fronts vanish ... enough is enough lol

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

July 5, 2011
5:01 PM

Post #8674561

[quote="chrissy100"]Gosh so quiet in our Winter Brug forum ...but I just had to pop in and say

Thanks Lucas ... I HAVE SPROUTS!!!!!

Now just to keep them alive through Winter ...being cool climate Brugs I am hoping it won't matter to them, so fingers crossed.
Awful weather here ...Heart of Gold had her buds torn off, same with a few others darn it. Oh well it's Winter.
Stay warm everyone.[/quote]

oh Glad to hear it, Chrissy.

Should be easy to grow from now on.
Getting them through winter is the easy part, should grow like weeds,
it's summer you have to worry!

BTW the arborea cuttings are looking good.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 5, 2011
5:40 PM

Post #8674655

I had to come back in to show you this poor battered seedling struggling to bloom after all this wind ...it's trying to drop a skirt. it's a heavy waxy one. I can't believe it held on, must like the cold.

Lucas thanks, that's good. Thanks again and I am glad the arborea cuttings are going well. Good for you!

here is my poor beat up baby

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 5, 2011
5:47 PM

Post #8674681

You can see what the wind did to the hippies ...but this one is still trying.

It's quite a big one ...keeping an eye on it with fingers crossed. I know it will remain white.
I don't have much white so I am happy with that.
this is D J's Can Can x Adeline

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 5, 2011
8:17 PM

Post #8674997

Poor thing needs a caesar Chrissy, what an effort...looks lovely and plump...
A while back you mentioned that you had been given some cold group seeds
are they the ones that are sprouting? if not, how are those ones going?

Goodluck with those Arborea cuttings, Lucas...and fingers crossed for my Sanguinea cutting.
BTW, I know that you have Culebra and the Sangs, what else are you growing?...

Here is a very pale Bruce's Pink..a month ago...I needed a fix.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 5, 2011
9:43 PM

Post #8675110

Yes these are the cool climate seeds from Lucas ... I wouldn't try with my warm climate seeds at this time of year (just my own personal preference ).

This one is the one that has 7 skirts consistently but struggles to drop them (I do Autopsies), this is the first flush that may drop the skirts (if the wind does not finish them off. The blooms born in the heat stay stuffed. The trumpet itself hangs on for many days so I am watching it, second year. Because of the Hail and being away last winter I don't know it's real performance yet, it bloomed at three ft.

Lovely pic Dianne ...sigh, missing my Angels.
The wind is starting to howl again.

This message was edited Jul 6, 2011 3:44 PM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 6, 2011
8:26 PM

Post #8677271

Some of the pods are falling off prematurely, usually due to the wind. Here's a Golden Butter x unknown pod I found on the ground. I would have missed it if I hadn't known how many pods were on the plant. Good news is that most of them should be viable and OK to dry out for later sowing (except the white ones).

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 6, 2011
8:29 PM

Post #8677276

This Ecuador Pink seedpod shrivelled up before the seeds had time to mature. I've sown them but don't think they'll germinate. (None of the white Golden Butter seeds I'd sown earlier have germinated.)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

bluebellwoods
Sydney
Australia

July 6, 2011
11:13 PM

Post #8677471

Shame about your pods but these winds would shrivel anything,feeling a tad shrivelled myself !!!!! Most of the flowers have blown off the OA but i'm looking after the cuttings and they are pretty sheltered ,can see new growth on all but one ...think I heard the winds will be gone by weekend (crossing fingers ) :-)

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

July 7, 2011
1:08 AM

Post #8677557

I saw a Knightii in a botanic gardens, it produced many more single flowers and only a couple of doubles.
Appeared to have also been self-fertile as I spotted a seedpod on a branch, but not other compatible Brugmansia in the nearby vicinity.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 7, 2011
7:04 PM

Post #8679298

Fortunately, most of the seedpods are still on the plants. They're just in stasis during the cold winter nights (with zero/subzero temps forecast for the next few nights).

My knightii throws the occasional single bloom, although I haven't noticed a pattern in it (ie whether it occurs most often at a particular time of year/during a certain weather pattern). Haven't heard of it being self-fertile, but the single blooms would certainly make it easy for insects to get in there and pollinate the flower. Perhaps there is another brug in the garden/surrounds that you haven't seen? Would be interesting to go back when the seedpod is ripe to see if the seeds are actually viable ;-)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 7, 2011
7:12 PM

Post #8679320

The previous photo showed the numerous pods on my Phanomenal x Superspot#1 seedling. My #2 seedling, however, has only one seedpod, but it's a cutie. The pollen parent is Golden Butter#2 (i.e. GB x unknown, possibly Old Apricot) and I'm really looking forward to seeing how those yellow/orange genes show up in the cross. I would dearly love to have a seedling like Mango Crush--that combination of colours just hits the spot for me.

This message was edited Jul 8, 2011 12:12 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 7, 2011
7:16 PM

Post #8679332

My Peanut x Ruffles and Flourishes seedling has only one seedpod too, despite my pollinating pretty much every flower it set. (The deformed innards didn't help.) Perhaps I'll have a better result from next season's flowers. Meanwhile, the seedpod has an unusual blunt-tip shape that I haven't seen on any of my other brugs.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

July 7, 2011
8:58 PM

Post #8679514

I also saw some sangs... looked like the long tendril form I posted a pic of earlier and a different Aurea that appeared to not be ?Bert/GHA, looked closer to Chloe.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 7, 2011
9:00 PM

Post #8679518

hopefully the power will be fixed in a few hours ...talk then. :) keeps going out.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 7, 2011

Post #8679570

Lucas, sangs looking good here. they seem to be liking the cold.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 8, 2011
2:09 AM

Post #8679684

Frosted bit this morning ...pods still hanging on but many leaves are frizzled.
The pod shapes are always interesting aren't they, congratulations on getting any at all on your new beauties and GB cestrum, it's not been an easy year, not many of the tropical plants bloomed this year ...top that off with early frosts! these pods just seem to go dormant then start to get bigger in spring.
I have had white seeds germinate for me (yes a surprise) in warm wet weather, I don't know that it would have happened in Winter, but it will be interesting to see if they do. Good Luck with them.

Jean good luck with the sangs, I read that they bloom in 7 months from seeds ...Wow!!!

Lucas I wish my Knightii threw some singles (only ever seen one on mine) , it might make it easier to fertilize it.

Bluebellwoods yes the wind has let up tank goodness, coming back they say ...plenty of damage done around this area and up into the Blue Mountains, many trees down as you may have seen on the news.
We can't do anything about it but wait and hope it does not get worse, at least we don't have snow ^_^

Thumbnail by chrissy100

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

July 8, 2011
2:32 AM

Post #8679692

Jean did that tiny tiny sang sucker make it?
Yeah perfect weather for them, hey.
It's been struggling to get past 11 degrees here recently.

I found a thread of an arborea flowering in 4 months from germination somewhere...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 8, 2011
2:42 AM

Post #8679695

Yes they flower earlier than the warm climate ones Lucas.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 8, 2011
2:55 PM

Post #8680756

Yes Lucas. I would say it has added at least 1/2 inch . I planted some sang seeds to see how they go and will plant others when it gets warmer.
i dont have the long hot summer days here usually . We are more likely to get one or two days of real heat in a month, then milder around 24C-28C for most of the summer. It doesnt get even that warm until well into Nov. Most of the warm weather here is after Christmas. I always say we have very long spring/ autumns.
Jean.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 8, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8681056

٩(̮̮̃̃)۶ ٩(̮̮̃̃)۶ I HAVE SEEDS ٩(̮̮̃̃)۶ ٩(̮̮̃̃)۶

I went down to check on the brugs and found two smaller pods had gone soft and mouldy looking so I picked them off and thought I may as well take the bigger pod too as it was starting to look a bit brown on the top.
I opened all three and found SEEDS. An average of 50 in each. The seeds in the two pods that were going icky are slightly darker than the larger pod. I opened a couple at random from each and found they had the little beans in them.
I have them all drying on the table in the back room for now. They are not large seeds but then the pods were not large .
How long should I leave them to dry out ?
If anyone wants to try some , let me know.
They are #44 ( Perfect Harmony x The Chief) x GHA. ...pods 1, 2 &3
I cant guarantee there will be little beans in all the seeds but worth a try to have the genes of The Chief to play with.

Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 8, 2011
6:10 PM

Post #8681130

Well of course I'll put my hand up for a *tiny* number of your seeds, Jean. Something with The Chief in it is always worth growing, I think :-)

I just let my seeds dry (spread out on paper or the base of an old colander/similar) for several days until they look well and truly dry. You can usually tell just by looking at them. If you want to be ultra-cautious, a week will dry out anything!

As for the kernels, you can check them just by peeling a tiny bit of cork off a few seeds--you should see the lighter skin of the kernel inside.

4 months for an arborea to flower from sowing? I'm still getting used to the idea of a sanguinea seed flowering in 7 months! I reckon 4 months sounds like an urban/gardening myth LOL

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 8, 2011
8:38 PM

Post #8681352

Great news Jean, congratulations...My hand is up for a few too, please...can't let that cross go by..
If yours are ready then mine won't be far off...though mine are still very green..I'm probably a couple of weeks behind...

Talking of Knightii, is there another Brug that has soft velvety leaves like it does?

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

July 8, 2011
9:29 PM

Post #8681402

Well, I can only see the first post as I am not a subscribing member but

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/513581/?

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 8, 2011
9:56 PM

Post #8681417

Arborea have soft velvety leaves Dianne. Some others too but of no fixed cultivar as yet.

Lucas that thread goes on to confirm that the 4 month old Arborea has buds on it.

Congratulations Jean, you are now a hybridizer ...the important thing to do is rinse the seeds well and then spread them out to dry, else you could have fungal issues. I use kitchen towels or clean newspaper when I run out. Kitchen towels absorb the moisture best. I only use paper envelopes just in case there is any hidden moisture within the seed (some have thick corks.)
Great excitement ! if you have any left over I would like to try too, but only if there are left overs.
I hope you get some real beauties. (PS I do love those little cheerleaders )

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 8, 2011
10:07 PM

Post #8681423

I grabbed a bit of the conversation for you Lucas, it was way back in 2005 so I hope they don't mind.

Violabird, this is a species that comes from the high Andes, warm days cool nights, they need the temp difference to do well...so for now it will be OK here but soon when our days are hot and humid with warm to hot nights it may fallter. It is self fertile( can be self pollinated) and form viable seeds. It can only be crossed to itself and sanquinea forms.Vulcanicola is a sanquinea type so it too can be crossed to arborea. Sanquineas lack scent but have true red flowers a color we wish we could incorporate into the larger fragrant forms. Maybe some day. In years past suaveolens species were labeled arboreas. Care must be taken in buying seeds to know if the parent was the REAL arborea or a suaveolens. The flower is smaller than most brugmansias, but no less spectacular.This one has a totally unique fragrance as far as brugs go,in my opinion. Very fuzzy calyx and leaves with a definate toothed edge to the leaves. I keep these moist not wet for now only because its in a very fast draining soil mix. not too much fertlizer so far either...I pollinated the flower last night and will see what happens.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 8, 2011
10:31 PM

Post #8681431

Chrissy, I didnt rinse the seeds. I just have them on paper towels.
Running out to kitchen...
I just went and rinsed them in a little water and hydrogen peroxide. That should kill any germs.
I will put you on my list for seeds Cestrum, Dianne and Chrissy.
I did look at some of the seeds Cestrum and I saw the kernels. Cant guarantee they all have them though. Some of the seeds are small.
Its my very first try, so if I get one plant, I'm happy.
They will most likely grow better for all of you than me, their mumma.
Dianne, the pods have been hanging on the plant since the beginning of the year so its about time something happened.

Jean. .
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 8, 2011
10:46 PM

Post #8681434

[quote="77sunset"]
Running out to kitchen... [/quote]
That's how we all feel about our first pod/s LOL Not only does your pod have The Chief in it, Jean, but it's crossed with one of our own aureas: another Aussie hybrid, lovely.

OK, so it looks as if an arborea seedling can be brought to flower in 4 months from sowing--amazing that anything other than an annual can do this!--but if you read the thread you'll see that other people on the forum have had arboreas growing for several years without flowering. Even the owner of that 4-month bloomer doesn't know why that seedling bloomed so soon as no others did. So clearly it's possible, but I reckon it might be like the person who wins the $100 million lottery: it happens. Just not often!

Keep forgetting to say that the BOM recorded minus 2 deg. C last night at the local weather station and, after a day of sunshine, the leaves of some seedlings have definitely been freeze-dried. Hopefully the pods won't drop off ...

This message was edited Jul 9, 2011 3:57 PM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 8, 2011
11:01 PM

Post #8681441

Here's the current forecast--look at the differences between those day and night temps. I reckon that makes it harder for plants than consistently cold temps ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

July 8, 2011
11:12 PM

Post #8681444

Oh that's harsh.
I'm jealous of those maximums though... compare to Melb's no frost 6 deg. C nights, but getting to12 deg.C and staying there all day!

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

July 8, 2011
11:15 PM

Post #8681448

I'm not at all surprised by 4 months to flower.
I grew an Iochroma from seed to flower in 6months.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 8, 2011
11:27 PM

Post #8681452

Lucas, my Iochromas flowered quickly too. I find they grow so much quicker than the brugs , even here in the cold.
I cut a couple of large branches off the purple and it has a mass of new shoots at the cut ends.
I wish the brugs would grow that fast here. I may get to see flowers a lot sooner then.
Yes, Cestrum, we are slowly getting more genes going here to make great crosses back to the Aussies.
Talking of soft velvet leaves, my white from Portland must be a knightii , as it has leaves you just want to stroke. I wish the darn thing would Y and flower.
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 8, 2011
11:29 PM

Post #8681454

I guess it depends on what you compare that 4-month flowering time to. Most of my brugs take 2 years; some of my wretched spring onions can sit for that time (after transplanting from punnets) before they start growing visibly! (Although I don't wait for them to flower, of course ... ) I mean they can sit for months, not 2 years LOL

Yes, daytime temps are relatively pleasant, but my house isn't built for cold at all. As an ex-Melb, I still find these frosty nights hard. Actually, it's the mornings that are horribly cold, when you have to get up in a frigid house (even the sunroom is very cold before the sun warms it up).

I do think that it would be easier on the plants to have temps that don't fluctuate so much between day and night, regardless of whether they're consistently warmer (like on the coast here) or consistently colder (as in Melb).

This message was edited Jul 9, 2011 4:51 PM

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

July 9, 2011
12:07 AM

Post #8681464

Jean, I have a Knightii in a pot that is over 2.5m tall and no sign of a Y, so they can take a while.
On the upside once it decides to Y it can flower all year round (around here anyway).

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 9, 2011
12:28 AM

Post #8681473

I would think the time you plant the seed matters too.
If planted towards Winter of course it would probably take much longer to bloom because they can go semi dormant in Winter.
The area in which it is planted may make a huge difference too of course.
Some may give it too much shade for fear of the heat killing it.
I think knightii may enjoy slightly cooler conditions than the usual warm climate Brugs.
Overseas they also have arborea that are not the true species.

Jean so sorry I made you run ...it's just a good precaution ^_^

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 9, 2011
1:30 AM

Post #8681475

Jean, you and Lucas should have been with me when I souvenired the Knightii branch hanging over the fence...it flowered from the cutting very quickly last year and is still putting out some buds now...

The leaves are lovely Jean,

I am resisting all seed planting until Spring...nursing tiny plants thru Winter, I put into the "not worth it"category...some grow, some really struggle.
They all grow so quickly in Spring...they are usually well in front of the Autumn planted ones...mind you I don't have a glass house.

I like the comparison between the Brugs and the Spring Onions, cestrum..I can see them side by side...lol

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 9, 2011
2:56 AM

Post #8681501

Dianne I only germinated some of the sang seeds Lucas sent because they are cool climate ones ...you are right the Spring grown ones are always strong and really healthy compared to ones nursed through Winter, I don't think we gain all that much.
As mentioned before if you get a cutting from the mature flowering branches they bloom very quickly, trunk cuttings must grow and " mature " to the flowering wood therefore take longer, particularly with the tall growers.

cestrum your weather is a shocker and similar to mine give or take a degree or so.The pods cling on for dear life usually, unless frozen ...good luck with yours.

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

July 9, 2011
3:10 AM

Post #8681506

Even though they do not flower as quickly, I much prefer trunk cuttings though, seems to make for a sturdier more robust plant from the outset. Cuttings from above the Y can tend to be rather spindly.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 9, 2011
3:05 PM

Post #8682502

My Portland white was from the most pathetic little old tree you could imagine. It had been hidden under and behind larger shrubs until the gardeners had a clearing out. Luckily I was there after they had gone and saw the poor half dead thing . There was the remains of a double white flower so I grabbed a piece of the wood above a Y.
There was a similar size but even more pathetic sang near it but those pieces died.
My piece is now around 5' and at that height is way bigger than the parent plant. I just love the velvet leaves and stroke them every time I pass.
Its funny they are so much softer than other brugs.
My little seedlings are coming on well since I moved them into the greenhouse. away from the sluggies.
No sign of anything yet from the seeds I planted. Early days yet.

Jean
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 9, 2011
3:09 PM

Post #8682512

Trunk cuttings are sturdier but, so long as you get them to strike, even spindly, above-Y cuttings eventually end up throwing sturdy, straight suckers. So you end up with a robust plant anyway, with some flowers along the way.

Apparently only got to one below zero last night, actually only an hour ago. Fortunately, some of my seedlings have the shelter of canopies and so not all have been frosted. (I'm not at all worried about the established brugs. Don't expect to lose any of my seedlings really, but the frost will delay their flowering.)

Lucas, you might have to revisit that botanical-garden knightii in a few months to check on that seedpod. Would be a shame to let it go to waste ;-)
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 9, 2011
6:05 PM

Post #8682788

Here are some of my frosted seedlings. These ones are in-ground and include both varieties of double pinks. I mean, the frosted bed includes both varieties. This is Big Floppy Apricot, growing in that bed. Er, actually it's BFA at RIGHT and I think Elfin Pink at left. The frost isn't terrible--not like the one in Wayne's garden last winter--and I don't expect to lose any brugs. Or any plants for that matter. (The most sensitive plants have already died or been relocated anyway, and the rest are tough enough to survive or are protected by the growing canopy.)

The funny thing is that in the foreground you can just see the tips of my galangals--no sign of frost on them!

This message was edited Jul 10, 2011 11:20 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 9, 2011
6:08 PM

Post #8682793

A few months ago I replaced most of the cestrum hedge with this new border. It contains mostly brug seedlings (and my Bolivian fuchsia). I had hoped that the canopy of the champaca behind it would shelter the plants from frost, and it seems to have worked superbly: look how healthy they are. No frost damage at all.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 9, 2011
6:11 PM

Post #8682802

The brugs under the old clothesline have been protected too, including the seedlings in the foam boxes at far left. (These are seedlings that aren't precious enough to be kept in the sunroom or an outdoor mini-greenhouse, but that I would rather like to keep!)

The brug seedling under the clothesline at front left looks as if it's got mite damage on the leaves (esp. on one of the new leaves). I'd normally strip off affected leaves but don't want to do so until the weather warms up in spring.

This message was edited Jul 10, 2011 11:12 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 9, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8682808

Here's a white flower on my Old Apricot. You can see what a difference some sort of canopy makes--neither flower nor leaves have been touched by frost.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

July 9, 2011
6:38 PM

Post #8682838

Same story here Cestrum. :( Your pics could have been taken here!
Thankfully not as bad as last year.

The pods should be OK here... If there is another bad frost and the stems actually freeze it will be another story.

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 9, 2011
6:50 PM

Post #8682860

It's part of the (second) run of bad weather along much of the east coast. Funny thing is that it's windy during the day (no frost when there's wind), which dries everything out, and then the wind dies off in the evening and the frost settles in the early hours of the morning.

I'm glad though that the canopies are effective, because I simply can't be bothered covering sensitive plants up at night to protect against frost and then uncovering them during the day to avoid them being roasted in the sun. Hopefully your canopy of advanced tree ferns will be just as effective.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 9, 2011
8:48 PM

Post #8683033

Mirror image here too ...battering of cold strong winds, then morning frosts, poor babies.
I think the shelter of the surrounding green shrubs and trees is a wonderful thing.
I hope everything is ok and will remain ok, the wind is stripping things off my exposed brugs at the moment as we speak.
cestrum's and my garden could be almost identical in terms of conditions, how strange in a way as I always thought QLD was much warmer somehow. Humidity may be different, I think we are drier as a rule (when it isn't raining that is ). Our Summer seems to be mostly just grey clouds for the last three years.
I have arborea blooming but they are battered to bits, also the knightii blooms or torn to shreds. Almost no leaves now, except for the little new ones.

In General the plants try very hard to hang on to those pods, I guess that's nature's way.
I will try to get a picture of the 2nd dropped skirt on my big white, the frost frizzled the outer one but the inner one and the stuffed ones inside are still going ...it's still too blowy out there right now.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 9, 2011
9:28 PM

Post #8683078

Wet and windy still here. I hate the wind, but it does keep frost away, so I suppose its to be tolerated.
We havent had the extreme cold of last year , so far.
It was the weeks of very low temps that ruined the brugs and froze all the stems. Most have grown again from the ground .
Cestrum, I find that any sort of canopy does a good job . I have some brugs out under the cypress tree and some under shadecloth, while my main GHA is just barely under a very high and sparse gum branch. None of these were as badly affected last year as the ones out in the open in the orchard. Those out there are in behind large shrubs and trees but not under, any so got the worst of the cold.
All are looking pretty good for this time of year. Still very green and leafy with lots of new shoots.
No bare sticks as other years.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 9, 2011
10:41 PM

Post #8683122

it's still windy but I wanted to show you before the frost hits again this is my big double white with the outer skirt frizzled

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 9, 2011
10:43 PM

Post #8683123

I am hoping to see the next skirt drop but I think Jack Frost may finish it off tonight

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 9, 2011
10:49 PM

Post #8683124

It needs a sheltered spot and I will move it in the Spring and plant it into the ground. Poor thing is in too much sun and hardly any protection, I wanted to move a lot before now but things got in the way as they do, so it's a Spring move. I believe it has Hawaiian double white in it's background. It was starting to look attractive last Spring but was badly trashed in the hail.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 9, 2011
11:15 PM

Post #8683135

Should be a stunner when it gets a proper chance to bloom. Do you know its parents?

Jean, the canopy does make a big difference. Works a treat throughout the year: provides much-needed shade for most of the year, and protection from frost for winter. Only problem is that, for those reasons, I end up never finding the right time to give things a much-needed prune (i.e. because I'm relying on them for shelter from the sun or from frost). I'll try to do it in early spring this year: doing so will temporarily remove protection from the sun (seems to go straight to 'burning hot' on the first of Sept here--last year we had a few hot days in August!) but everything should grow back quickly and in time to provide protection during summer.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 10, 2011
3:13 PM

Post #8684527

Cestrum, I am lucky in not having to prune much these days. I leave the trees to do as they like now and most of the shrubs are of a size and shape that only need the odd bit snipped off near a path. Most of the trees have the canopy up high enough for a bit of shade in summer but dont interfere with the growing brugs near them. The cypress is an large old tree from which I removed all the lower branches years ago. It takes up a lot of space so the underneath area is quite large Hubby was surprised at how much space there was when I removed the low branches to make way for other plants . It had been covering the whole of that part of the yard.
Now i have about 20 brugs and around 30 epis able to sit under it. Still room for a few more. Because the tree is old and getting thinner up top, the rain is able to get on the pots underneath.
Hubby is going to help me lift the shadecloth higher,down the back near the shadehouses, so I can keep the bigger brugs under it.
The small brugs live in the greenhouse until they reach about 12"high then they graduate to kindy down the back next to the shadehouse. . Once they are used to being outside, they can join the big kids either under the cypress or under the shadecloth in the larger area. Any that I dont want to keep protected just go out in the ground in the orchard.
Its live hard or die here as the weather is iffy at most times and I dont have enough space to pamper them all.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 10, 2011
3:53 PM

Post #8684597

I used the reverse, shade protection...I originally bought my first brug OA, because it grew so quickly and I needed shade for a small Rhododendron, now they shade Daphnes, Azaleas, etc, very well.
Unfortunately, my trees will be a little while yet, so some of the Brugs will continue to get the TREATMENT from the elements...
In particular, Bucks Fizz and Pink Panther are full of buds and leaves...they weren't affected last year either...One of the Pink Panther flowers this morning..

Chrissy, what is your ideal white one, or will you know it when you see it?
Hope we see that big double in Spring...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

July 10, 2011
4:45 PM

Post #8684656

Yeah same Dianne,
Brugs and Iochromas themselves can make okay shade trees, nice big leaves.
Here Brugs seem to be able to take full sun even in summer (except while establishing and sanguineas).
Iochromas are much more shade tolerant and seem to thrive in near complete shade though they can take sun I've seen them used as informal hedges but they are just too vigorous and require continual pruning.
Only problem I've seen with Brugs as shade plants is that they continually drop old flowers, calyxes, large leaves and petioles on to the nursery pots and young plants below, occasionally damaging the poor plants esp. tiny seedlings below. This stuff also rots (Brugs are messy plants)
Also especially during the warmer months caterpillars also fall off them and land on the seedlings below, sometimes completely destroying them.

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 11, 2011
6:58 PM

Post #8687101

Another subzero night, the third such night in four days. The foliage of the affected brugs is now turning black, but the seedpods are still hanging on. Had to water this morning and my hands almost froze.

What annoys me is that, despite the floods only 6 months ago, the water restrictions haven't been lifted. We're allowed to water by hose until 10am which sounds very generous--except that it's often too cold to start before about 9am. (And although we can hose from 4pm, that's far too late in the day with the risk of fungal diseases etc, so all hosing has to effectively be done by 10am. And on Mondays, it's still buckets only.) The daytime winds have dried everything out--some of the sheltered brugs in pots had begun to droop for lack of moisture--and I often don't have time to water all the pots and plants in dry soil before 10am. What *really* annoys me is that after the floods it was eventually decided to release 25% of the dam water rather than easing restrictions until the water fell by 25%. So we still had restrictions while one-quarter of that dam water went straight down the river and out to sea. How crazy is that!

Anyway, I reckon that a canopy of taller plants/trees is definitely the easiest way to provide frost shelter. It tends to become self-mulching too, which is another bonus. Except of course when caterpillars/snails fall down with the mulch!

This message was edited Jul 12, 2011 12:08 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 11, 2011
8:51 PM

Post #8687307

It's a couple of days down the track and the big waxy bloom is still here despite the weather, it's still green (due to cold) the frost did not get the second or stuffed skirts ...

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 11, 2011
8:55 PM

Post #8687311

it's the same here cestrum ...this is DJ's Can Can x Adeline. Very heavy thick texture.
Amazing it's still here after the wind. Not sheltered :( a shame the frost got the outer skirt.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 11, 2011
8:59 PM

Post #8687314

Looking forward to following it's Spring progress,

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 11, 2011
9:11 PM

Post #8687327

Funny how blooms from the same cross can be so different ...this is from the same cross (last season). Also heavy texture but different, I was thrilled to have a nice white of heavy tropical plumeria type texture (delicious fragrance too) but then it started to get a faint apricot flush in the cold.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 11, 2011
9:19 PM

Post #8687336

I was disappointed by the changing of colour because it was a beautiful white that was no longer white, still attractive but not pure white, it reminded me of a perfect gardenia that goes a bit yellow as it ages.Memory played tricks, I thought it was a different shade but this was it.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 12, 2011
12:48 AM

Post #8687446

Oh boy how embarrassing ...I went in to add some of my seedlings to the data thingy in BGI and b*ggered it up *blush* ...I knew that would happen. In triplicate because I thought I was doing it wrong ! SIGH.
Now that's why I didn't do it before now ...any hints?
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 12, 2011
5:21 PM

Post #8688982

Yes, I've double/triple posted in other forums because it didn't seem to go thru the first time. Don't think you can fix it yourself--just ask for help on the forum, and whoever has internal access to the database can fix it for you.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 12, 2011
5:45 PM

Post #8689038

Makes me nervous about posting any others.
I will grit my teeth and try again later, they asked for nice ones and ugly ones too so we can see the results of various crosses.
It's a great thing ...love the idea and find it very interesting.
Right now ...the nurse is expected.
It's grey and the air is heavy, so I guess the rain is about to come on down
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 14, 2011
5:23 PM

Post #8692690

That database is a wonderful thing--it's as useful to see the 'disappointing' crosses as the successful ones.

Here's one of my seedlings. I thought the pattern of frost damage was interesting--there are still healthy green leaves among the burnt ones. (In contrast to some of my other brugs, where the leaves were burnt entirely.) Frost is a mystery to me: the way it travels thru the garden, striking some plants and completely missing others.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 14, 2011
5:26 PM

Post #8692693

This is more typical of the damage sustained by the brugs out in the open, although even here you can see some healthy green leaves.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 14, 2011
5:31 PM

Post #8692700

Yet Elfin Pink has still managed to retain and open some blooms among the frosted leaves.

After a 5-day run of subzero night temps, we had a heatwave last night: 12 degrees! After minus 2, that was unbelievable. Just 6 more weeks and I'll be complaining about being unable to go outside after 8am because the sun will be too strong ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 14, 2011
7:16 PM

Post #8692926

Remember that Ecuador Pink seedpod with the white seeds: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8677276

Three weeks later, the seeds are germinating.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 14, 2011
7:48 PM

Post #8693012

Sorry I have been tied up with things medical for my brother. Winter is difficult for people with pain issues and illness.

Cestrum what wonderful pictures ...I have to say I thought I could see little beans in those immature corks.
Could I ask what temperature your seedlings sprouted under? how much light etc?

Now I have my cold climate ones sprouted I am not sure weather to put them outside or not.
Lucas would you keep them inside or put them out where the frost can't get them?

Has anyone received their garden contest seeds yet?
I am hoping they were not confiscated.
I want to buy some seeds o s but am not sure they will come through.

whew ... hopefully I can grab some time for my garden over the weekend. ^_^

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

July 14, 2011
8:13 PM

Post #8693068

I'd say outside, shelted from the frost.
Granted they do have some frost resistance (some heat tolerance would be good!), but just germinated seedlings may well be more sensitive.They should be able to take morning sun though.
Mind you where I am does not really get any real frost.

Arborea cuttings are still hanging on...

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

July 14, 2011
8:28 PM

Post #8693102

Just came across this, has anyone got the purported "frilly pink" B. insignis available from this Blue Mountains cottage nursery??
http://www.honeysuckle-cottage.com.au/catalogueframes.asp?catinput=heritage.asp

... wouldn't want to blow $20 on a Frosty Pink lol

They also have a yellow sanguinea, and a good range of scented geraniums, mints and violets...

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 14, 2011
11:18 PM

Post #8693347

Chrissy, according to the AQIS site , one can now import seeds of B. candida, suavoleans and sanguinea. It says if one species is allowed then all hybrids from it are allowed. This gives a lot more scope to getting os seeds.
I have seeds coming from arghya and I did receive those I bought from BGI.

Lucas, I am so pleased with the sanguineas so far.
I looked at that link you put up. I would be wanting to see the flowers of the plant. I saw those giant yellow ones offered too. . I saw seeds for those on eBay from Italy. .

Cestrum, so far we have had only the one frost and my brugs that were slightly affected are like yours with one or two burnt leaves among all the green ones.
They are all growing so well now, I would hate to see a bad frost get them.
Last year they looked like your sticks. No leaves left.
Jean.

This message was edited Jul 15, 2011 5:18 PM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 14, 2011
11:58 PM

Post #8693355

The Ecuador Pink seedlings germinated in the mini-greenhouse on the heatpad, in the sunroom. Can't tell you what temp that is because it doesn't have a thermostat, but it's just a very low heat, no more than lukewarm really. I turn the heatpad on in the late arvo and off (with lid of the mini-greenhouse removed too) during most days (unless there's no sun and it's cold in the sunroom)--it's probably warmer in the sunroom on a sunny day (T-shirt weather) with the heatpad off than at night with it on. Note that the white Golden Butter seeds sown in the same conditions did not germinate.

Shouldn't be problems with AQIS so long as the seeds are clean and labelled with the full botanical name. The problem I had earlier in the year was the exception, and even that was eventually sorted out.

That frilly brugmansia was the one that drew Chrissy's interest when I bought some plants from that nursery. My plants were great but I can't speak for the brugs: so many sellers are honestly mistaken about what type of brug they have.
kazza22
Gold Coast
Australia

July 15, 2011
12:19 AM

Post #8693359

Hi, everyone,

It has been some time since I have posted, but I have been following the threads. First O/T, I wanted to warn you about a scam that is going round, I had some one ring me yesterday, saying they were associated with Microsoft Windows, and my computer had viruses in it and if I did not act quickly, I would loose everything. The speaker was of an Indian/asian accent, & stated that the Co. was World PC Support Provider only for Microsoft Windows and they were going to have a technican delete the viruses for me. He new I had had Vista and now had Windows 7. He directed me through different screens to show me I had over 2,000 files with viruses. He had me go to LogMeIn123.com then wanted more details & said for the one payment of $354 they would clean up my computer and look after it here in. Well I told them I needed to speak to my husband 1st, which they were trying to tell me it was an urgency & not to turn off my computer. My husband looked up the web at his work, and its a scam, has been running for years. Just look at LogMeIn123 scam and you will see. I turned the computor off, and they rang me another 2 times saying it wasn't a scam. He stated he was in VIC and gave me a Vic number to ring him back. I instead rang Microsoft in Syd, who stated it was a hoax, and they have nothing to do with them. I gave them the details so they can try and catch these people. This person had hacked into my computer to get information, and had turned off my Norton. I had foolishly helped them get in so far, as the urgency and the things he was saying had me in 2 minds thinking I did not want my computer to crash. My husband had to reconfiger the computer to the day before to cancel out any changes made. So all please be careful, Microsoft/Windows people will not ring you unless you ring them first. Karen
kazza22
Gold Coast
Australia

July 15, 2011
12:29 AM

Post #8693362

On the Angels front, nothing is happening here. The last eight months the weather has been terrible. First the rain over Xmas, now the dry cold days. The Goldcoast is experiencing the coldest weather it has had in 30yrs. The last 10 years here it had not dropped below 12 degrees. This year we are it has been down to as low as 5, then warm sunny days of 21/22.

The ground is very dry, and getting water repelant, I have emptyed my 1200 ltre tank just on one part of the garden. The GoldCoast Council do not look after our water now, it is a private Co., and our water prices have doubled, nearly trippled. So we are conserving water as much as possble. My Angles are growing tall and scraggly. Only Matilda & Lipstick have been flowing. The nearly 3 year old seedlings, (those that have survived) still havn't "y"d. I will be cutting back Matilda & Lipstick come Nov to try and make them bushy. Even though the branches are only finger thick, anyone wanting them let me know. Karen

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

July 15, 2011

Post #8693366

Jean, glad to hear that the sangs are going well for you.
Yeah it'd help if that nursery actually supplied a photograph of said plant, how else are is the customer supposed to know what they are getting? and especially with brugs as they are sold mislabelled oh so often.

lol Karen that is very interesting thanks for posting; you see they also rang me up and told me about supposed virus infection of my computer, but they didn't get as far with me as I hung up as I found it very difficult to believe, as the very night before I had conducted a virus-scan on my computer which didn't find anything wrong! Have to be so careful these days!

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 15, 2011
1:53 AM

Post #8693371

They have tried just about everyone I know, Karen...including my cousin who was at the time, on her computer which she had just purchased and it was her first computer ever...She told him to call back and rang me straight away, because I had warned her of all the different scams...he didn't phone back of course...Sorry that you were so inconvenienced but as you now know, Microsoft will never phone...

Just had some seeds held up because they weren't sure about, B.Strybing vulsa x Sanguinea...they couldn't understand the writing...after a couple of emails, the seeds were only held up 2 days...totally different from my last experience...
No seeds from competition yet, Chrissy..remember Canada had some postal strikes so they could be anywhere...
OT, Gorgeous moon out there tonight...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 15, 2011
2:04 AM

Post #8693375

Never ever respond to people ringing you up for details of anything.
Kazza that was a nasty experience, I hope all is well now, sorry to hear about the dreadful weather.
Yes the weather is just awful.

cestrum thanks for the info ...I wonder what happens when you take them away from the heat pad ?, I remember Brian had his in the polystyrene box with the light inside for warmth.

Lucas I think that frilly pink is this one, called Crinoline. We took a vote and say it's different ...almost identical to FP but there is a definite " frill" to it's skirt ...this isn't a great picture but it shows best the frill I speak of.
What do you think?
I note they sell Grande Marnier ...when I was given my cutting of Old Apricot I was told it was Grande Marnier, which Alistair told me was not Grande Marnier, which leaves me to ask, does anyone have Grande Marnier in Australia ? I ask this because in my Garden Bible (the 5 kilo one) it states Grande Marnier is one we have in Australia, if we do where is it? does any one know of a Grande Marnier here ? The picture in my Garden Bible shows a picture of a Brug that looks just the same as Old Apricot ...any one know anything about it?

There is one in overseas that is not the one in my garden bible here it is in our plant files
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/4146/
This is not the picture in my garden bible ...the one in there looks like OA ...do we have two Apricots here ??? or is it a mistake or is there an Australian GM like there was a Pink Panther that was a different one to the USA one.

Ok need coffee ^_^

Thumbnail by chrissy100

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

July 15, 2011
2:38 AM

Post #8693383

Oh wow, that's very cool, thanks for posting.
Yeah, I think I can discern the frilliness factor, it's pretty subtle but nice.
Nice wide open flower. Pretty floriferous.
So is it as easy to grow as the ol Frosty Pink?
Could very well be wrong but I don't think it has insignis in it though, I think that one has very long tendrils which I find very appealing.

Here check out this SA one in Ecuador I found while searching the web:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pix-diana/487202663/

BTW Yamina Rare Plants (Vic) list B. Grand Marnier on their site, but no photo, so whether it is stocked is another matter, it is described as being an apricot bloom (sounds like OA already!), here take a look:

http://www.yaminarareplants.com.au/contents/shrubsAndTreesB.htm

Also, is it just me or does their " _ x candida pink" look like Frosty Pink?! (which is a suaveolens cv! yes)

This message was edited Jul 15, 2011 1:42 AM
MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

July 15, 2011
3:06 AM

Post #8693396

Here is my Meroo Totty,first time its got any buds on it,lets see if the possums leave it alone...

Thumbnail by MyaC

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 15, 2011
3:35 AM

Post #8693405

Hi everyone. Went for a walk around the garden with the camera today. Not much going on but have a look at the Arborea cutting. Hopefully I will get flowers at the same time as the Sanguinea. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 15, 2011
3:38 AM

Post #8693407

I told Dianne that it was Tantra with these huge leaves but I needed my glasses, it's Candida. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

July 15, 2011
2:24 PM

Post #8694384

Although the weekend, and I had different plans, I am glad there is rain in the air rather than frost! Really not too bad here, more annoying than anything. 'Love Potion Number 9', copped a chill - being a standard here I expected that. The pods seem OK.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

July 15, 2011
2:30 PM

Post #8694400

'Fernando' and 'Tantra', happy under the crepe myrtle.

Don't think anyone in Australia could fault Judyth's (Honeysuckle Cottage) knowledge of roses - as for Brugs, I have never purchased any from her.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 15, 2011
4:13 PM

Post #8694554

Wayne, isn't it amazing what a difference some (even light) canopy makes? (Jean, I think you said that even a tall gum tree with sparse foliage at the top managed to protect your plants?) The only plants this doesn't work for are tender tropicals who cannot tolerate low temps, even if they're above freezing point. But I've given up on growing those!

Yes, rain has changed my plans but I too prefer rain to frost!

How old is your arborea cutting, Colleen? And, er, is that some sort of b+w furball behind it LOL

This message was edited Jul 16, 2011 9:14 AM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 15, 2011
4:35 PM

Post #8694576

Wow Colleen, that Arborea cutting is brilliant...well done...

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

July 15, 2011
5:01 PM

Post #8694624

I was about to say the same, Well done that is extremely healthy Colleen.
so much for arborea being near impossible to strike from cuttings, lol.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 15, 2011
5:28 PM

Post #8694694

Cestrum the Arborea is in it's second season here. I can't remember where it came from though. Maybe Chrissy. The B/W furball is Ben the dog. There's usually a cat or a dog or maybe even a chook following me around keeping me company and making sure I take the right pic. Thanks for your comments. I didn't know that I was doing anything special. You've made my day. Colleen
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 15, 2011
5:33 PM

Post #8694704

Well, I didn't know that arboreas would strike--and so readily--from cuttings. Will be wonderful when it flowers for the first time. With it and a sanguinea, you can start some serious breeding!

But I'm almost as amazed that that tiny furball is a *dog* :-)
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 15, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8694800

Colleen, great success with those arboreas. My two are seed grown and have struggled hard for a while, but are now getting to be 'big boys'.
I think they like it a bit cooler as they have grown well since last summer. They were so slow to start, I thought I would lose them.
These two are from seeds from Chrissy. I planted them in Oct 2009. They were so pathetic when sprouted, I thought they would die. The only 2 to sprout hung on tenaciously in the greenhouse until about March 2010 when they were finally large enough to go outside . One was always a bit smaller than the other . This pic is the larger ( 3') out under the cypress tree .
I would be interested in trying cuttings if anyone can spare some. Just to see how they do here during the cooler months.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 15, 2011
6:19 PM

Post #8694806

the smaller arborea under shadecloth down the back. ( about 18"tall)
He looks taller because he is standing on a bench.

This message was edited Jul 16, 2011 12:19 PM

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 15, 2011
8:15 PM

Post #8695093

Lovely pics everyone ...
I did not send you any Arborea cuttings Colleen, because I did not think they would grow from cuttings, it would have had to come from Alistair I think. I only ever sent Arborea seeds ... except for Lucas (recently)who wanted to try cuttings.
I sent a few seeds to Brian so you should have a few somewhere, because they germinated well for him. Perhaps that came from seed. Are you sure it was from a cutting, quite exciting if it was cutting grown.

Good luck with the possums and roos Mya ...lovely to see buds there ^_^ I hope you can save them from the critters.

Dianne I forgot to say thanks for letting me know about the contest seeds, I was worried they had been stopped by you know who.
whew ^_^ thanks again.

Wayne I am very happy your pods are hanging on ...mine too so far, lucky I don't chew my nails though.
Yes Judyth and her hubby are wonderful people and in the 80's I purchased heaps of wonderful things from them, including heritage roses, herbs, gourmet collections etc ...wonderful experience great plants actually delivered to my home by her husband (I was shocked and pleased). That was in my cottage garden prior to this garden. ^_^, can't speak too highly of them.
However they may not know much about Brugmansias and I suspect they purchased their original (and perhaps current stock ) from someone who gave them these names when they were sold. At least three are miss- named.

This message was edited Jul 16, 2011 2:20 PM
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 15, 2011
9:39 PM

Post #8695181

Chrissy, I went out and had another look at Arborea and you're right. It is a seedling I think. It has a Wayne marker in it that is why I thought it was a cutting. Wayne do you remember sending me an Arborea seedling? The tag says " Brugmansia Arborea" I know this one is mine, not Brian's, because it came out of the SH and is now in a different place in the garden. I also have a seedling that I grew from seed that is about 3' high but not as leafy. Sorry, I will take more care in future to make sure I've not got the bull by the horns. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 15, 2011
10:13 PM

Post #8695217

Well done Colleen ...you have heaps to work with and I would say if they are seedlings they should bloom in August/ Sept depending how cold it is, I hope your sangs bloom at the same time. Don't forget if they don't, you can save the pollen and use it at the right time. Good luck.
You are not the only one to get confused, I will need to get right into my ground covers and ensure my memory plays no tricks on me, as it does every now and then. Trouble is the ground cover covers it all up and we can't always depend on the memory once you have heaps.
Thanks for looking and sorting it out ...we are looking forward to a successful method of striking them, once everyone has enough plant material to work with we may try many different methods and be successful.
They should have bloomed already really so perhaps a snail or bad weather may have caused the tiny buds to drop off, as I said this should bloom before the others,
but of course different states, different conditions ...well this is where the sharing pays off in terms of learning about our beautiful brugs.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 15, 2011
10:47 PM

Post #8695229

This is for Colleen re crossing her cool climate plants, fingers crossed it works (BGI site)

http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/blog/6-the-buzz-april-2011/

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

July 16, 2011
12:28 AM

Post #8695256

[quote="ctmorris"]Chrissy, I went out and had another look at Arborea and you're right. It is a seedling I think. It has a Wayne marker in it that is why I thought it was a cutting. Wayne do you remember sending me an Arborea seedling? The tag says " Brugmansia Arborea" I know this one is mine, not Brian's, because it came out of the SH and is now in a different place in the garden. I also have a seedling that I grew from seed that is about 3' high but not as leafy. Sorry, I will take more care in future to make sure I've not got the bull by the horns. Colleen[/quote]

Not sure Colleen. We did talk about them in August last year - mine came from Chrissy from seed Alistair gave her I think. We only kept the two plants - one for here (still in a pot) and one in the ground at work. The potted plant (200mm pot) bloomed! I guess if it has one of my tags in it, then it would have come from me. :)

Chrissy, do you remember the Giant Burmese Honeysuckle (Lonicera hildebrandianum) up at Bowen Mountain?

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

July 16, 2011

Post #8695262

Here is that B. arborea seedling blooming in an 8" pot.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 16, 2011
12:55 AM

Post #8695264

Yes I loved it and had to leave it behind at my last Garden. Silly me thought it would not grow here, but I know it would now ...I had ordered it in at a local exotic plant Nursery called Green Jade but this Nursery was burned out in the Christmas fires and I didn't chase it up any longer after that.
Edited to say I mean the Giant Honeysuckle.
Waving at the baby Wayne :)

This message was edited Jul 16, 2011 6:57 PM

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

July 16, 2011
1:34 AM

Post #8695277

Such a nice star-shaped flower on Arborea. beautiful.
That one's a bit lacking in the leaf department, though.
Looks like some of my brugs after the windstorm actually!
Brugs hate the wind don't they.

The giant honeysuckle grows around here too.
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

July 16, 2011
1:01 PM

Post #8696110

Those B.arborea blooms are rather cute. I am looking forward to seeing a grown-up plant in full flush. Do recall making the comment here regarding seedlings blooming in 8" pots - If only all seedling Brugs would be so obliging! :)

Cestrum, you are right about canopy protection from frosts - no matter how light it might be. The crepe myrtle here is quite bare, however it has protected the young 'Fernando' and 'Tantra' plants quite well. 'Coral Reef' is just out from under the tree's shelter - she copped a burn.

I will keep my eyes open for Lonicera hildebrandianum. Was planning to go up to BM in spring.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 16, 2011
4:45 PM

Post #8696413

Wayne, I remember seeing the photo of that large bloom on that slender stem but it didn't register that it was an arborea: wonderful that it flowered!
Alas, no more strong-growing climbers for me as I think my beaumontia might have to be dug out or at least kept severely in check. It got a severe prune a month or so ago--in winter, worst time--because one night it started rubbing up against the house right near my bedroom window. (It had wrapped itself around the down pipes, among other things.) I could not sleep! So out I went in my PJs, in the cold of a winter night, armed with a torch and an extendible set of pruners, and hacked as much of it off as I could. Then left all the pieces lying on the ground where they fell and stomped back to bed!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 16, 2011
5:58 PM

Post #8696525

Arborea blooms are like small white starfish. They are quite petite and do not bloom in heavy flushes like the warm climate Brugs, rather spot blooms continuously (here in my garden). They don't have nubs like the warm Brugs. The plants Wayne has are from seeds off my seed grown plants that I grew from the seeds by Alistair. All the Arborea seeds I sent out were from my seed grown plants. I have to say how wonderful it is to have such a lovely Brug make replicas of itself without any help from me.

Oh Cestrum what a shame your Beaumontia had to go, I am jealous, the one I have been growing from you is still alive but shivering away at approx 8" in height, I don't think it will eat my house it's too cool here, I hope it may bloom for me one day :) ...not one frangipani flower this year due to the cooler weather. We have bits of loose corrugated iron bang away all night echoing all around from abandoned buildings, wind equals sleepless nights.

Wayne I was not lucky enough to get up to the actual nursery, all my stuff was by mail order, I have many of the publications and the old catalogues, the old fashioned roses catalogue was my favourite, but the others were brilliant too. I hope you find that giant honeysuckle it's a real triffid though it grew about 18ft in one season and had thick stems, the blooms were to die for though!
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 16, 2011
6:19 PM

Post #8696559

Fret not, Chrissy--my beaumontia was slow to take off too. But when it did, it really did! Yours is likely to do the same. (PS It's still there, just cut right back and so unlikely to have any flowers this year.) I'm surprisingly unfussed about the prospect of losing it, probably because I've now seen it in flower for myself. I reckon the frangipani vine is worth hanging on to, though, even if it looks as if it wants to start climbing the roof LOL (Ah, the perfume, the perfume ...)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 16, 2011
6:29 PM

Post #8696579

I have that one going ok too but not terribly enthusiastic in this weather, I have the Garlic vine and those two all together, oops there goes the house if we accidentally get a warm wet Summer ever again.
I was very lucky the first year I grew out my Brug seeds it was a fairly mild Summer and it rained almost every day, so everything was up and away ...I wonder when the next drought is due? not looking forward to it really.

That will be a testing time.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 16, 2011
7:05 PM

Post #8696637

Drought, floods ... time for another drought, you reckon? Should there be some pestilence inbetween LOL
Meanwhile, the insane optimists (ie gardeners) keep on planting :-)
This foam cup of Golden Butter x BFA seedlings was sitting on top of another pot in the sunroom, when I happened to lift it up. Look at those roots! So I guess I might just pot them up into individual foam cups.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 16, 2011
8:33 PM

Post #8696774

I've got so many leftover seeds from my own crosses of the past season (not knightii--they were all taken--but the ones that no one wants, mainly seeds from my apricot brugs) that I'm thinking about sowing them all in trays to see if any turn out to be variegated. (If you remember, one of my own crosses produced a variegated seedling which unfortunately died.) Better than just throwing the seeds out, I reckon, or letting them go stale.

I've still got a crop of current season's crosses ripening on the brugs--many of them from my double pink--I cannot see any other use for these old crosses (all from single-bloomed brugs).

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 16, 2011
8:38 PM

Post #8696783

cestrum where does your sun room face? I have 10ft high ceilings so I don't think my rooms would be warm enough, air conditioning thingoes in the ceilings (the AC does not work ) allows the heat to escape ...my front bedrooms -empty except for the bedroom furniture - face west. My Library is facing east, Can't put anything in the North Window (Brother is in there) no windows South (that's shady anyway.)

Large Picture Windows ...should I try it?
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 16, 2011
8:46 PM

Post #8696791

It's a tiny room with windows on three sides (i.e. on all sides except the south), so it heats up quickly--lit with sunlight from shortly after dawn, to dusk. Nothing in the ceiling except a standard light fitting! I'm very lucky to have it. On the other hand, I have a very small block of land, while you still have a lot of land in which to plant things. It's just a matter of working with what one has ...

Plus, only 6 weeks to spring. Heat, humidity, mosquitoes, flies, scorching sun ...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 16, 2011
9:04 PM

Post #8696823

ha ha ha yep !
Can't wait!
I have lots of plans for my angel garden ...just have to find the time :)
Can't leave the house for very long except when my brother is sleeping and even then it is limited, I hope he may be improved enough to allow more time by then ...it's 5/6 hours a day, pretty much full on right now.
I was thinking of pushing some of my veggies a bit early this year because it was such a cool grey Summer, it was a lousy veggie season. Thinking it might be worthwhile getting in really early for that reason. You give me hope ...those strawberries have gone nuts by the way. :)
Good luck with all your seeds :)

This message was edited Jul 17, 2011 3:05 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 16, 2011
9:20 PM

Post #8696876

Sounds lovely cestrum, as I look out at my no longer sunny sky...
The only good thing is that the snails are going away, slowly...so that's something.
A lot of my seedlings in my plastic shadehouse have had their leaves chewed..when I looked for the culprit..it was a big caterpillar...the plants were only tiny to start with...oh well.

Your cuttings are growing well,Chrissy...one of them is really powering away...trouble is I didn't leave the tag on it because of Matilda...so until it flowers, I won't know which one it is...it's either Birthday Angel, FFA or Hyacinth Bouquet...
The lower level of Pink Panther is flowering very well still...plenty of flowers on the top but they are
windblown and ratty.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 16, 2011
9:40 PM

Post #8696903

I think my snails might be a bit more sluggish (so to speak) but not going away, alas.
Here's that pot of Golden Butter seedlings, showing decent root growth. There are still some seeds that have just begun to sprout but, as I have so many of this cross, I'm potting them up anyway instead of waiting for them all to germinate properly.
Chrissy, I soaked the seeds in Superthrive and, of the 25 sown, about 22 sprouted (although a couple ended up headless--see next post). Could be that these are simply very viable seeds.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 16, 2011
9:43 PM

Post #8696912

A closeup of those same seedlings. Can you see the two in front with the stems rotted off? Their heads are still in the soil! This is the problem I've been having during the past year, although normally the stems rot off even though the heads have long since thrown the soil off. This is why I now turn the heatpad off and usually remove the lid of the mini-greenhouses in the sunroom during the day.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 16, 2011
10:32 PM

Post #8696983

So what do you think of the Super Thrive cestrum?
Did you see a big difference?

Dianne FFA is the tall grower out of those three ...it heads for the sky like New Orleans Lady.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 16, 2011
11:17 PM

Post #8697004

Well, I don't know if it was a particularly viable seedpod or if the Superthrive helped it to germinate. I'd have to try it on seeds that I knew were difficult to germinate or, better yet, divide the seeds in two and grow them in identical conditions except for the application of Superthrive. Another experiment!

I was just outside when I noticed another not-completely-ripe Golden Butter seedpod on the ground. It must have fallen off in the past couple of days. As I was wondering if the wind was responsible or some sort of critter (it's not the largest pod on the plant), I struck the brug as I walked past it and another not-quite-ripe seedpod (the smaller one) fell off! A shame because this smaller one is actually a labelled cross. I'll try and dry off as many as I think are mature enough to survive without immediate planting because, although I love the flowers of the Golden Butter and its propensity to convey that yellow colouring to its seedlings, even I can't grow *that* many GB crosses!

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 16, 2011
11:44 PM

Post #8697016

Here are the seeds from the smaller pod. I've separated them into those I think need to be sown immediately (the whitish ones at the top) and those I think will still be viable after being dried out.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 16, 2011
11:56 PM

Post #8697027

This was a flower on one of my Golden Butter x unknown (probably Old Apricot) seedlings earlier this year. This is why I'm so fond of GB as a pod parent ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 17, 2011
2:04 AM

Post #8697062

That is a lovely flower cestrum...you're right though...how many seedlings can one grow...We all want to grow the imports...and yet not leave the valued ones we have, out of the program...
it's difficult isn't it...
I will try to grow some of each of my imports this Spring and some of the local ones that interest me..
Even then it will be as many as I grew last year...
There is about 40 at various stages and that will have to be my limit...so when this years seeds grow..I must cull some.
I will put cuttings of the keepers into pots and remove the others from the garden...I have to keep that patch of ground as my seedling nursery...I know that I should give them a couple of years but the second flush will have to do...
I will probably keep my Ecuador Pink x for a while to see if the perfume strengthens and how it handles the heat...I do like it's mother's shape...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 17, 2011
2:09 AM

Post #8697064

cestrum ...I feel terrible ...you sent me some seeds(months ago) which arrived at a really awful time (brother was very dependent and I was sleep deprived.
So I just put them away in a dark cupboard and promptly forgot them, I found them this afternoon while looking for my veggie seed catalogue ...Oh my goodness I hadn't pulled them out when they arrived because I had a Doctor due, just pulled a couple of pkts out thinking they were a project far away. I was thrilled but not clear headed and I just forgot about them.

What treasure! I am going to be very busy this Spring, thankyou so much, you must have thought me most ungrateful, I can't even remember if I thanked you properly.

Thrilled to find a pkt of knightii seeds amongst it !
Once again sorry I didn't thankyou properly at the time.

Look treasure! (makes up for the ones my helper threw out ) ^_^

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 17, 2011
2:11 AM

Post #8697066

Snap Dianne ^_^ yes a dilemma knowing which to keep.
I am starting to realize that even with a lot of space, it's a lot of work, can't help myself ...just gotta LOL
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 17, 2011
4:44 PM

Post #8698333

That would have been the last batch of knightii seeds from that season, Chrissy: you've found them in plenty of time for spring planting! Are the Michelia figo seeds among them?

This year I should have a knightii pod crossed with Golden Butter, as I didn't manage to get that cross last season. (And lots from my Phanomenal x Superspot double pink to share!) I reckon if you sow a few seeds each year then, after the first two years, you should have some seedlings flowering for the first time each growing season.

In case anyone is wondering, two or more images joined to create one is called a panorama image, and you can usually create it using your digital camera or, as I do, using image software. I use IrfanView (with the plugins) which is free, easy to use, and found here: http://www.irfanview.com/

PS Dianne: I reckon you'd need to cross that EP seedling with either another from the same batch, or with another brug, to bring the colour/other desirable characteristics out. This white one is really just a stepping stone to something more interesting--it's value is in its offspring, not in itself (if that makes sense).

This message was edited Jul 18, 2011 9:47 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 17, 2011
6:32 PM

Post #8698528

Seeds from aurea brugs tend to be large--look at how healthy these peeled ones look. (Taken from the large Golden Butter x Unknown seedpod discovered on the ground yesterday.)

This message was edited Jul 18, 2011 11:34 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 17, 2011
6:44 PM

Post #8698558

Cestrum, what is Golden Butter's parentage?...I don't think that I have seen it...
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 17, 2011
7:25 PM

Post #8698602

It's not known, Dianne. Just that it's an aurea. I'm hoping that by crossing it with apricot brugs I might be able, one day, eventually, if the sun, moon and stars are correctly aligned, to get a seedling with flowers that have that gorgeous colouring of Mango Crush: http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/gallery/category/78-mango-crush

Chrissy is after the perfect white: I want the gelati colouring of MC :-)
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 17, 2011
8:53 PM

Post #8698681

Here are my seeds after drying for a week. I peeled a couple and they have nice hard little kernels inside. The seeds are quite small so when peeled the insides are even smaller. They should still grow into large trees though, as I have planted such small ones before.
Most of the seeds are about 1cm across and the little kernels about 1/2cm.
I will put them in envelopes and post probably later this week or next week.
I hope they all grow for you.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 17, 2011
8:54 PM

Post #8698682

Heres a fuzzy pic of two of the tiny kernels and their skins after peeling.
Jean

This message was edited Jul 18, 2011 2:55 PM

Thumbnail by 77sunset

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 17, 2011
9:25 PM

Post #8698713

Jean, I find the suaveolens seeds are the smallest but size has no effect on their viability. I remember my Dr Seuss x seeds had kernels that were so flat and tiny that the people who received them thought they might not be viable. (I have an idea some Ecuador Pink seeds were like this too.) But they were all viable. So size truly doesn't matter when it comes to brug seeds :-)

Well, probably not all viable, but they germinated

This message was edited Jul 18, 2011 2:26 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 17, 2011
9:25 PM

Post #8698714

Gosh I can't stay right now but whoo hoo seeds everywhere,
from QLD to Victoria how wonderful! congratulations everyone ...official hybridizers Yes!!!!!

cestrum yes they are in there ...michelia figo ...should I chill them first?
Must go feed the fellas running very late today ...back later ^_^
So happy to see happy seeds ...made my day !
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 17, 2011
9:32 PM

Post #8698718

[quote="chrissy100"]... cestrum yes they are in there ...michelia figo ...should I chill them first? ... [/quote]

As mine have taken about 4 months to germinate, Pam suggested they be chilled first. About a couple of months in the fridge should do it, I guess. Perhaps half chilled and half sown immediately as a control? Up to you ...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 18, 2011
12:10 AM

Post #8698779

hi cestrum ok half chilled and half normal.

Yes I agree with cestrum, the size of the seed has no bearing on the size of the plant.
The aurea have the largest seeds and the Suaveolens are very tiny, I don't peel them for that reason, only a spot check here and there to ensure there is a seed present.
If Golden Butter is Chloe then it is a wild form (that would be strong genes) I think I recall Alistair saying he thought it was Chloe.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 18, 2011
12:33 AM

Post #8698796

Apparently Alistair decided that GB and Chloe (and GHA) are all different brugs: see http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8648298

Here flowering after the longest run of frosty nights that I've experienced in this garden is my Dr Seuss X x unknown seedling. It's looking quite tatty, the colour has the palest tinge of yellow to it and you'd have to say it's inferior to the parent. However, the flower is also waxier than the parent and smaller, with more of an aurea appearance to it. I think it's likely to be fragrant because I can detect the faintest whiff of a pleasing perfume. Not a bloom you'd keep for itself but I think it has good breeding potential if crossed back to another seedling from this batch (this is the first to flower) or to a pink. So I'm actually quite pleased with it, looks notwithstanding!

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 18, 2011
1:39 AM

Post #8698807

Well there you go ...my memory is playing tricks on me, but then over the years the info has been all over the place depending where you look.

Yes I remember that was the latest info ...so it's three different ones ...my pea brain would have picked that up on a better day (not much sleep last night) ...cestrum waxy is very good, it makes for lasting blooms, some simply stunning ones can melt at the drop of a hat, the waxy is Aurea for sure and yes that holds good potential.
Hopefully coming back tomorrow with a clear head ... ^_^
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 21, 2011
12:11 AM

Post #8705299

Despite the top leaves being burnt by frost, Pink Sweetie is putting on another flush of blooms. (Most have yet to turn a proper pink.) If it didn't have frost to contend with, this brug would flower year round despite the cold night temps.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 21, 2011
1:25 AM

Post #8705389

Chrissy you asked how my brugs were doing. Just a couple of pics to show you. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 21, 2011
1:30 AM

Post #8705397

The last pics are mostly seedlings. They are mine, none of Brian's in this lot. His are all about 5-6' high but very gangly. I will give them a prune soon. This next pic is of Avalanche, planted out the front for about 3-4months. It has been through all the frost and not a frost nip anywhere. I'm very pleased with the ones I planted out. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

bluebellwoods
Sydney
Australia

July 21, 2011
7:10 PM

Post #8707403

Hope everyone is ok and muddling thru this awful weather ! Nice to see those cuttings and seedlings look so healthy Colleen...im realising that Brugs are quite tough plants really ...still cant understand why they arent in everyones garden :-)
Chrissy was the Green Jade nursery you mentioned somewhere close to Warragamba ? I used to visit a Green Jade ,they sold so many unusual plants ,think the last time I went I bought a Red Jacaranda and a White one ,that was about 1997 at my last home ...wonder how they are growing ? sadly owing to divorce Ill never know ...hope that wasnt the Nursery that burnt out...when the fires were raging i'd moved to Camden ,what a Christmas that was with burnt embers blowing all over the place Xmas Day...
Hoping that after all these winds we've been having the August winds(that usually stay til October) will give us a break and stay away this year LOL
Sari:-)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 21, 2011
10:10 PM

Post #8707738

Sari yes that's the one, sadly. The owner went back to her Nursing career, poor thing , what a loss.
I don't even want to think about that awful Christmas Day.

Yes it's been pouring rain and quite severe wind on and off,the plus side is no frost right now.
Loving all the pictures, the plants all look pretty good considering it's Winter.
My " sticks " are looking happier in the rain ...yes Sari they are much tougher than many plants.

Colleen I wouldn't prune Brian's plants until they Y because they will need to get up to the Y height before they bloom.
Some simply won't bloom until they reach a certain height, FFA is quite tall.
If Brian's plants have already bloomed then you can trim down above the Y (leaving the actual Y) if you still want blooms in the Spring.

Pink Sweetie is a real sweetie, what a pretty thing cestrum , you must be thrilled.
I like her shape very much.

Well almost two months of Winter have gone, only one month and a bit to go ...starting to feel a tingle of excitement.
Sure do miss my Angels.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 21, 2011
10:56 PM

Post #8707775

I am so pleased this year. So far anyway. My angels are all still green and growing. They never stopped at all even in the cold and with no fertiliser at all since early autumn.
I see that Alphonse has tiny buds and I am hoping for two of the seedlings to put on buds as they have made their Ys.
Also a Y on Waynes 'Giant'.
Today has been fine and sunny so they are all loving a bit of sun after all the dull weather.
Lucas, I have a couple of sanguinea seeds sprouting . I am trying seeds of different brugs in the cold weather and later in the warm.
Chrissy, I know what you mean about some plants having to get to a certain height before getting that Y.
Thing is, how high does the double white get. Mine has taken off and I can now stand under it. It must be about 6'. There are more buds on GHA and BB. They have both flowered all through the winter and look like continuing.
There are a couple out there that simply refuse to grow until it gets warm, so I will be watching them.
Better get back out while its still fine.
Enjoy the weekend .
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 21, 2011
11:24 PM

Post #8707790

For anyone new and for those who may have forgotten ...if a cutting is from above the Y it could bloom at a foot tall. If it's a trunk cutting it could need to grow many feet tall if the original plant was a tall one before it's first blooming.
My Knightii must have been from above the Y I guess because it bloomed quite short 3/4ft. I recall Wayne had a huge Mother plant so it can be a very tall one I guess, most Brugs will be taller in the ground than in the pot.
Have you seen a Y on your Double White?
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

July 21, 2011
11:42 PM

Post #8707798

Thanks for that update on my 'Giant' Jean. I hope he does well for you this coming season. Here is a pic to remind you of the bloom.
It is a tall growing plant.
The 'Giant' x 'Fire Fighter Angel' plants (14 of them) are doing well in their 300mm pots. I took a look in today at the nursery - did not go too far in as it is a swamp from the rain.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

July 21, 2011
11:46 PM

Post #8707799

'Giant'

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

July 22, 2011
12:59 AM

Post #8707843

Glad to hear about the sangs, Jean. How are the cuttings looking?
They do really love this weather! they should do well for you.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 22, 2011
1:20 AM

Post #8707866

The seeds that I planted in April, have grown to various sizes and they are in the plastic SH with the flap opened during the day...but...of the 15 seedlings, I have recently lost the 5 small ones...they were about 8cm tall and had their second set of leaves...one by one the leaves have dropped off and when they are leafless, they start to wither at the top...they are the same as the older seedlings as far as dampness goes...but it has happened to all the small ones...could it be the cold?...the older ones are growing well...
Has this happened to anyone else?
I know that a slug ate a couple of leaves, but I despatched him.
Good thing that I kept some of the seeds until Spring..they were Superspot x LBG.
Any ideas?
Jean, the Knightii that I took my cutting from, had it's Y at about 5ft and it was about 10ft tall...I was lucky because I took my cutting from a branch hanging over the fence and it flowered at about 2ft.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 22, 2011
2:39 AM

Post #8707930

Don't throw them away, if there were a reasonable number of roots they may come back when it warms up.
Cold wet roots will kill them though, this is why I won't plant seedlings to over winter. The hybrids may be a bit more touchy too.
Never water in the Winter unless drooping and even then just enough to get them to sit back up again.
I wonder if you also have fungus gnats like cestrum did ...gently take one out to look at the roots. If there are no munchers and you still have white roots, they can come back ...barring munchers and fungus.

Good luck ...let us know what you find.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 22, 2011
2:40 PM

Post #8709122

Oh Boy!!!!!! -3 and the brugs in the front garden are ZAPPED. Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 22, 2011
2:59 PM

Post #8709143

In regard to my white brug. It is now looking so healthy compared to its poor parent in the Portland Gardens. That pathetic plant was so dry and skinny it looked like a sickly seedling. It was only about 3' high but would have been quite a few years old as it had been growing in behind a wall of rampant growth of lots of shrubs and trees. The gardens had been a bit neglected but at the time were being cleared and opened up, which is how I was able to see the plant. It still had a leaf or two and a shrivelled double white flower hanging on it. I snuck over and took a small cutting from above a Y . It was nursed in my shadehouse for a year until it suddenly realised it could grow . Since then it has been doing well. I just love the big , soft, velvet leaves. So different to the others.
I have another small plant which I had forgotten about. It was listed on eBay as a double white so I bought it along with a couple of maple trees. . It, too is looking good . I am hoping it turns out to be double, as listed. Cant remember which state it came from. I will check my book one of these days.
I am hoping all the frost will forget about coming here again. It is very cold in the mornings but nothing so far like the week of extra low temps we had last year, which zapped the brugs.

Lucas, all the sang cuttings are looking good especially the little rooted one. I will plant more of the seeds as it warms .
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 22, 2011
5:15 PM

Post #8709410

Chrissy, the roots look very healthy but they still die back from the top...I had one last year that did the same...it never came back...
Doesn't matter though...Spring is coming and the sowing will start...yippee.
Very exciting all the different crosses...

The 18mnth old Brugs that are near my glass doors in a sheltered though not covered position, have become a playground for the Blue wrens...they bounce from leaf to leaf, finding the odd insect as they hop...

I have put Allan's Fernando into the ground to see how it handles my Winter..it Y'd in Autumn, so I am hoping for early flowers, fingers crossed...

Lucas, we are fortunate that you came on board when you did...I don't think any of us would have tried the Sang cuttings in the Winter...considering how hard it is to strike the warm ones in Winter and not thinking about how different they are...mine is still going too...

Same here, Jean...the winds are cold but the temps not as low...
Dianne
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 22, 2011
5:28 PM

Post #8709451

I have a request. I bought a pack of plastic loop lock ties a year or so ago from USA. I have used them all and need more but cannot find the original seller.
I have not been able to find any in Aust.
The sellers that I do find on the internet or eBay do not have the size I want and do not ship overseas anyway.

You know the ties I mean... They loop around a branch and lock through a loop. I need them at least 6'' - 8"long.

If anyone can help, please let me know. I am not particular about color as long as they are all the same color.
I am surprised at not finding them as I think they are most useful. I use them to mark my brugs .
I do put labels in the pots but it is so much easier to see a label up on a branch without having to bend and search among various trunks.

Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 22, 2011
6:33 PM

Post #8709560

Jean here is a good video for plant ties
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxcg0iLm18A
My hubby tied up some electrical cables with these things ...you may be able to use them instead ...a little thicker but works the same way.
http://www.tradewarehouse.com.au/electrical/cable-ties-clips/nylon-cable-ties.html?gclid=CPD76symlqoCFUFLpgodIzZK0Q

In the USA they call the ones you are talking about zip ties. I hope you find what you are looking for. Good luck.

Dianne those little feathered critter munchers know when they are on a good thing, the frogs live in my brugs, clever little things.

Colleen throw some fluffy mulch over the zapped brugs they should come back.

Wayne Big Is so wonderful ...can't wait for it to bloom here.

Someone had better start the next Thread please this one is getting way long (don't forget the street sign )

Wayne maybe Big would be a great banner for the new thread ^_^
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 22, 2011
6:35 PM

Post #8709563

Dianne, I've lost a lot of seedlings that way. Some were growing inside, some out; some in cold weather, some in warm. I think it's probably due to different reasons/a combination of them. The seedling at left will probably recover as the stem is still green but the one at right is well and truly dead.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 22, 2011
6:36 PM

Post #8709565

Just coming back to say you could probably grab some of the cable ties in the Bunnings or larger Hardware Shops (don't know what they cost in there though).
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 22, 2011
6:39 PM

Post #8709573

My outdoor mini-greenhouses are going to need a good spring cleaning in Sept, but look at this seedling (ignore the mouldy snail pellets).

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 22, 2011
6:42 PM

Post #8709578

Here's the view from the bottom--it has grown from the shelf underneath right thru the flywire I placed on the shelf above (for extra stability: the original wire shelving has too-wide gaps for the cups). This BTW is the mini-greenhouse where the stem of a brug seedling plastered to the steamy plastic started sprouting aerial roots (I cut the tip off and it's now growing in the sunroom).

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 22, 2011
6:43 PM

Post #8709579

The water thing is very tricky in Winter Brugs are tough but they will rot off in cold temps.
Better to under water than risk the rot.
Larger plants have enough sustenance to cope with Winter but seedlings (warm climate) need a bit of growth to be able to live while shut down for Winter.
I won't plant my warm climate seeds in Winter.
I hope your babies recover ...
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 22, 2011
6:46 PM

Post #8709583

Here are two of my light-deprived seedlings, trying to grow like ground covers LOL

This message was edited Jul 23, 2011 11:49 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 22, 2011
6:48 PM

Post #8709585

It got that way when I left it in one of the shaded mini-greenhouses but has started recovering since being moved to the sunnier one. You can see how healthy it looks at the base.

No more from me--over to someone else ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 22, 2011
6:51 PM

Post #8709595

I don't have a green house situation so I can't comment on those conditions.
I am looking forward to Spring when the cold and wet will be gone (hopefully).
I just hope our Summer won't be like the one they are experiencing in Texas (we usually follow their patterns).
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 22, 2011
6:59 PM

Post #8709622

I'll be growing on a lot of my seedlings in the two large sunny outdoor greenhouses (only one is being used now) until they are ready to pot up into large pots/buckets as it will be easier to protect them from all the chewing insects that decimated my seedlings last season. The insects will still attack them when they get moved outside, but they won't be able to kill them overnight as they can with small seedlings.

Last pic of Sweet Pinkie in its pale winter colouring.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 22, 2011
7:01 PM

Post #8709625

I reckon Brugs do well with a fair bit of shade as babies and get better in more sun once they get a few ft on them, if you think about it they probably start in shade in their natural habitat and then head towards the light.
it's still raining here, inches of water in the driveway.
I am relieved my Brugs are in a sandy mix in these conditions, you know my OA was grown in just sand (I made the kiddies sand pit into a raised garden when the young ones grew out of it and it only had some cow poo and blood and bone shovelled into it.
The first blooms gave me hundreds of trumpets ...almost died of sheer amazement!
Roll on Spring!
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 22, 2011
7:03 PM

Post #8709629

Dry here with only a little rain this month. I have to keep watering my brugs--even the ones in the ground--because despite the cold nights, day temps are still averaging around 22 degrees. And the wind has dried things out further.

This message was edited Jul 23, 2011 12:03 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 22, 2011
7:09 PM

Post #8709639

The rain has kept overnight temps to about 8C and days are about 16C ...quite pleasant really for me except you can't venture out, the wind has been awful, it's let up now. Perhaps I can get outside later. So far so good with the cool climate seedlings but we are heading back down to the low temps next week. Fingers crossed for everyone.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 22, 2011
7:28 PM

Post #8709680

What a tough Brug baby cestrum...finding his way through the wire...

Jean, I have the ties that Chrissy mentioned, everywhere...my husband loves them, I think that they are holding up every structure in the garden...
We buy them from Bunnings..they are in black or white, different sizes too...very cheap...My only concern would be the pen that you would use to write on them, though if the one that you are using stays on plastic, it might be ok...they are narrow, but they would be suitable.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 22, 2011
7:28 PM

Post #8709683

8 degrees overnight would be pleasantly warm right now :-) But the following day would almost certainly be cooler because of the inevitable cloud cover.

The brugs growing in large pots/buckets definitely need watering--a few started to droop when I was a bit late with the hosing--but the inground ones have never actually started to droop. I sprinkle some water around them when the ground dries out anyway, as I'm afraid that although they won't die from the dryness, they might start dropping their seedpods. Months of waiting, gone! So I water them too ...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 22, 2011
7:49 PM

Post #8709770

Thanks for the tips Chrissy. Hubby has 100s of those cable or zip ties, which I use all over the place. . They are good for tying a plant or branch to anything but useless for what I want. They are too narrow to write on and also not reusable. You have to cut them off.
I used the ones I am looking for as a marker on each brug then as the branch grows or I prune it, I can move the tie to another branch.
I'm sure I'll find some somewhere. I just asked here because I was sure some of you would be using them for their convenience.
Pic is what I am looking for.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 22, 2011
7:55 PM

Post #8709790

Have you asked at BGI? They may be able to point you in the right direction are theirs no good?
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 22, 2011

Post #8709869

Chrissy, you must have been watching me. I just left BGI after finding and ordering the last lot in stock of exactly what I need.
Teach me to look there first next time.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 22, 2011
9:38 PM

Post #8709920

Yay there you go Jean ...my second lot of the cool climate seeds are starting to pop ...I have no glasshouse so, here they are popping near my portable tv near my puter ...nice and warm (not hot) the others are doing well outside ...I will be very happy just to get one to survive :) planted in pure washed river sand ...toot rolls in food container, misting the top of the sand once a day only if dry.
Thankyou (again) Lucas ...they look like the Arborea seedlings did ...even to the black seed case.

This message was edited Jul 23, 2011 3:43 PM

Thumbnail by chrissy100

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

July 22, 2011
9:52 PM

Post #8709935

Well done!

Any arborea pollen anyone?

Thumbnail by lucas13

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 22, 2011
10:29 PM

Post #8709973

Lucas are you asking for or giving ?? I'll have some if you are giving please.

Chrissy, when it warms a bit , could you spare a Maya cutting and also one of different aurea to GHA ? I want to cross the aureas with other aurea hybrids as they grow .
I am very fond of any of the aurea types of flowers.
The long danglies may be beautiful but give me the cheeky 'in your face' flowers with that perfume . mmmmmmmm

Jean.

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

July 22, 2011
10:35 PM

Post #8709985

edit Yeah I meant does anyone happen to have Arborea flowering now and any pollen to spare so I can pollenate my sangs? then we can split the proceeds.
cheers.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 22, 2011
11:33 PM

Post #8710052

Superb sanguinea blooms, Lucas. You're right: they are just crying out for some pollen LOL
Jean, I reckon those ties would be great for tying around seedpods too. Must keep an eye out for them. I don't have any more cuttings of Golden Butter since chopping it hard and moving it last year, but I will have Golden Butter seeds later this year if you're willing to grow them out.
Chrissy, look at those (arborea?) seedlings germinate!

This message was edited Jul 23, 2011 4:35 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 23, 2011
1:10 AM

Post #8710136

No these are the seeds from Lucas from the plant in the picture above ...never thought they were really my thing until reading they can smell like the Arborea now thanks to the work done in England by Alan.
I am trying to see if they may survive and if they do I would like to try some of Alan's wonderful crosses. Lucas has this lovely one to perhaps cross with the Arborea at a later date in an effort to bring fragrance into the cool climate Brugs here in Australia.
Lucas the awful weather has wrecked my blooms ...but I will try and get some pollen to you as soon as I can.
If the pieces I sent you catch you will have blooms not too long from now as one of the pieces actually had a tiny bud forming on it when I took the cutting.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 23, 2011
3:06 PM

Post #8711075

Cestrum, keep checking on BGI as I am sure they will get more ties. I will be wanting more too. They are very handy. I used a couple for my seed pods . Easy to see and they last well . I would love to have Golden Butter, but would prefer cuttings as I dont have endless room to grow out too many seeds. I really want to keep my seed space for the cold brugs.
Going to be lots of repotting and planting in the ground soon when the weather gets a bit warmer. I dont want to wait too long as I see tiny buds forming.
I cannot get into the shadehouses now without pushing my way through a brug jungle. I will have to move BB first as he is a greedy fellow taking up so much room. There is one lovely 8'sucker that will be going out next to the purple alogyne. . My lovely ribes died so I will use the space for planting brugs in the ground. I can probably fir a few small ones in pots underneath too. This will put them partially under a melaleuca and sheltered by a fence for winter.
Jean
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 23, 2011
3:21 PM

Post #8711100

So those seedlings of yours, Chrissy, are sanguineas? As you know, I tried growing them in Brisbane. They germinated superbly in autumn, grew strongly over the (frost-free) winter, then started sickening and dying from spring. I had well over 20 seedlings and they all died, the longest lasting for several years but looking sicker after each summer. No chance of flowers! However, as Alistair grows them in NSW, it could be that you can grow them in Sydney too--that would be exciting.
Jean, as I said, no GB cuttings as my plant is surviving (and flowering a little) but not putting on much growth since its brutal transplanting into the middle of the murraya hedge ... BTW, what are those ties actually called?
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 23, 2011
3:38 PM

Post #8711139

The ties seem to go by various names. Mainly loop lock ties on the sites I did find.
My originals came from the USA, but I couldnt find any US sites this time . All in UK and none sending overseas.
I am sure they would be available somewhere in Australia but I dont get to the city to look.
I know they come in small sizes for small plants but I like the larger about 7"- 8" for the brugs.
BGI is sure to get more .
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 23, 2011
3:56 PM

Post #8711164

I've just bought some of these at BGI--they should be perfect for identifying my brug seedpods. I'd never have thought to look for them--thanks for the reminder. (I can see they're called loop lock labels on ebay UK.)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 23, 2011
8:08 PM

Post #8711563

I bought some of those labels too...thanks for bringing up the subject in the first place, Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 23, 2011
8:35 PM

Post #8711616

Isn't it amazing ... the things you don't know you don't know, until someone happens to mention them in passing LOL

It made complete sense to me when US Secretary of State Donald Rumsfeld said:
There are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know.

But I digress ...

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 23, 2011
11:06 PM

Post #8711858

Did anyone ask him, how he found out?...lol
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 24, 2011
7:08 PM

Post #8713235

One of those ironies ... once you find out, it is no longer an unknown unknown LOL

Here's a bloom on Peanut x Ruffles and Flourishes, looking anaemic after the frosty nights. You can see the tips of the Spring Promise buddleja in the background, just coming into flower.

This message was edited Jul 25, 2011 12:09 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 24, 2011
7:30 PM

Post #8713272

A knightii bloom, tied after pollination with pollen from BGI. I used two vials of BGI pollen on this flower but doubt that either will take. The first had dried out; and the second missed the stigma and fell onto the ground! Ah well, live and learn.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 24, 2011
8:02 PM

Post #8713319

I envy you that blue sky, cestrum...only grey here...

Bad luck about Knightii...it does seem to be difficult by all reports, all those skirts get in the way.
I hope that mine throws a couple of single blooms again...
I tried to pollinate 2 flowers in Autumn but neither of them took...so I will have to do a bit more reading
I think before I try again..

I wonder if any of the pollen from that source has been successful...
I have ordered some of the pollen tubes, just in case any of mine are worth crossing, then I can send some to our group...wishful thinking maybe, but we can't have all of them growing, so we need to be able to send the pollen..
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 24, 2011
8:29 PM

Post #8713340

Yes, the blue sky and warm temps--during the day--are lovely. Shame about the frosty nights!

The problem is not with the knightii but with the Keystone cops method of pollination! My experience with knightii--like Lucas's experience with rooting cuttings of arboreas and sanguineas--seems to be at odds with everyone else's: I find that my knightiis are among the easiest of brugs to pollinate, even though I often cut open an obviously immature bloom. (In fact, I've almost never found a bloom with fluffy pollen.) Yet it almost always takes! Strange, eh?

I have used BGI pollen on the blooms of some other brugs but it's too early to say if it's been successful.

Here is a seedpod I'm quite excited by, one of my second generation crosses: Golden Butter#2 (i.e. GB x unknown) x (Pink Velvet x Dalai Lama).

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 24, 2011
8:40 PM

Post #8713354

This was Pink Velvet x Dalai Lama when it first flowered earlier this year. It only managed to set a few flowers--sort of semi-double--so I won't be able to truly judge the blooms until it has some proper flushes in spring/summer. But I'm still excited by the cross.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 24, 2011
8:41 PM

Post #8713355

I read somewhere that you can mix a little pre boiled cooled to tepid water to the pollen to enhance pollination,just enough to be able to spread it on the stigma sticky patch. I will try that as an experiment with knightii as soon as I can.
I suggest experiments now everyone has a few brugs to work with, you can try that kind of thing on your whites (the whites do have colour in their backgrounds.

It's fairly comfortable at the moment but we only had a couple of hours of sun ...here come the clouds again.
A brief spell of rain and milder weather has whispered " Spring " it gets dangerous around this time of the year the tiny fresh leaves are in danger if the frost comes back again. Fingers crossed! it won't.
My Coral coloured Iochroma has lost every leaf but the lilac one hasn't blinked.
I think Wayne must be busy so Perhaps cestrum you might like to start the next thread with one of your pretty double pink pics please ...I think this has been the longest thread so far in our Brugs ...Winter gives us more time to chat ^_^ and plan.

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

July 24, 2011
8:42 PM

Post #8713356

I haven't rooted arborea, yet!

Similar exp. with Knightii, though.
I'm half tempted to think it's self-fertile lol.
I also find that it has surprisingly little pollen, too.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 24, 2011
8:44 PM

Post #8713357

I like the GB#2 crossing with the Dalai Lama X...BGI gives DL a great rap...they should be very compatable if all the best bits go through...fingers crossed..xxxx

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 24, 2011
8:44 PM

Post #8713358

Snap cestrum. I have read that the pollen will fluff up if you remove the antlers and put them in in a closed container.
I haven't done it but you could experiment with that and see if it happens.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 24, 2011
8:45 PM

Post #8713360

What--I thought you were striking arboreas left, right and centre LOL Must just be the sanguineas, then ... (*Just*!)

My knightii are definitely *not* self-fertile--all are the result of my rough-and-ready method of pollination--it's just that for various reasons not all of them have ended up with labels by the time the pod has been harvested. I almost always have to slit the flower open.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 24, 2011
8:46 PM

Post #8713362

I forgot to say WOW over your DL seedling please use it to open the next thread ...pretty please with cherries on top.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 24, 2011

Post #8713365

Too late, too late!
We've moved to here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1199920/

PS Wayne has said that due to other commitments (nothing negative) that he'll be taking a break from DGs for a while. No reason to worry, just don't expect to hear from him for some while.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 24, 2011

Post #8713366

No they aren't self fertile. Knightii has a reputation for being difficult.
Seems Australia may be the difference ...weather or conditions ??? or different Melbourne and Sydney double whites (fascinating).
hmmmm. ^_^

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 24, 2011
8:54 PM

Post #8713371

^_^ ^_^ ^_^ thankyou cestrum .

I know Wayne is overhauling the garden ...I bet there will be lots of big surprises.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 24, 2011
9:16 PM

Post #8713400

putting up the signpost ---------------> http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1199920/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America