Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Lilies: Calla LiliesCulture and hardiness?

Communities > Forums > Lilies
bookmark
Forum: LiliesReplies: 3, Views: 37
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2011
2:23 AM

Post #8653106

Hi, lily-lovers,

I'm wondering if anyone here grows Calla Lilies?? If so, maybe you can give me some tips...

I would like to grow a few callas along my front walk. I want to choose the type that are likely to survive our winters but I don't know which are the hardiest.

I do have a few callas I planted three or four years ago that come back (somewhat) so I know Callas can survive here if given the right growing conditions (maybe not 'thrive' though).

Does anyone have experience with growing them in colder areas?

Thanks. t.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2011
4:23 AM

Post #8655124

Tabasco, I wish I could be more helpful. I grow callas, and I was moving the bulbs in my car in sub freezing weather. I left some of them in my car for days while the temps went below 20. I then said, what the heck, and planted them anyway. 90% of them survived. I have noticed that some of them are sprouting weeks after the first ones in their little pots. It may indicate that they can recover from partial damage.

And I do recall a conversation with someone in zone 5b who left them in the ground over the winter, and they thrived. I remember being shocked. But I'm not sure I am remembering the zone correctly.

And it may have to do with cultivar. I have the basic white and Crystal Blush. The multiply like rabbits. It started out with 6 bulbs and now I have at least that many in each of 10 pots.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2011
5:54 AM

Post #8659459

Well, Donna, that's pretty good information~~thank you!

That gives me confidence to try more of them.

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 28, 2011
6:43 AM

Post #8659581

Cool!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Lilies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
lilium White Henryi lincolnitess 55 Jan 1, 2008 4:30 PM
The sickness continues... ivory 268 Oct 23, 2007 9:34 PM
Lily Germination Leftwood 8 Apr 21, 2007 7:20 PM
Fasciated Lilys menkids 108 Dec 6, 2007 2:20 PM
my Lilium seeds germinated bloomoon 10 May 8, 2008 3:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America