Photo by Melody

Trash to Treasure: EASY TO MAKE CONCRETE BOWLS AND PLANTERS...

Communities > Forums > Trash to Treasure
bookmark
Forum: Trash to TreasureReplies: 73, Views: 2,016
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2011
1:19 PM

Post #8654035

Though I realize there is a more specific forum for Hypertufa and Concrete, I
wanted to share this here because I know many of us have a small (or large)
stash of goodies that can be utilized in the following project. Not to mention,
I love and miss all of you! :-(

Complete tutorial with plenty of pictures:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Easy-to-make-concrete-bowls-and-planters/

For a quick, fun and very easy garden project, grab a bag of concrete, your imagination, and follow me!

Concrete planters and garden ornamentation are a wonderful addition to the outdoor setting around one's home. Often, such decor comes with a high price, enormous size and incredible weight which is not easily transported. The solution? Make your own.

While you would likely not fare well to dive right into large scale concrete landscaping, you can dabble a bit in a smaller project to begin with. Then, when you find how addicting this craft is, take it easy on me for suggesting it. So let's get started

What you will need:

CONCRETE - http://www.quikrete.com/index.asp

QUIKRETEŽ Concrete Mix (No. 1101) is the original 4000 psi average compressive strength blend of portland cement, sand, and gravel or stone. Just add water. Use for any general concrete work. (Ver batum as posted on the Quikrete site) Resist the urge to use heavy duty concrete, as it is very chunky.

Though many home improvement stores carry ready-to-mix concrete in 80 pound bags, it is also available in other sizes, depending on your preference as well as ability to lug it around. Be sure to allow store employees to help load the larger bags into your car. There are many types of ready-to-mix available, choose accordingly. I prefer Quikrete (mainly because it is readily available in our area) and Quikrete Vinyl Concrete Patcher, but these products are mere suggestions. Nothing is cast in stone. Yet.

COLORING - Not a necessary item at all, though coloring concrete is quite fun, and easy! Check out liquid cement colors near the concrete section of your local hardware store. A 10 oz. bottle will color quite a bit of concrete. If you want to maintain color consistency in your projects, consider making up large bottles of colored water for your project, and be sure to keep a lid on the container of mixed water. Shake well before using.

MOLDS - An endless supply of molds, containers and other ideas are available everywhere. Scour yard sales, thrift stores and other thrifty places for interesting shapes and sizes. Don't stick to bowls, use your imagination. You could even make your own. Try not to choose anything with great detail, as you may be disappointed. For finer detail, use Vinyl Patch mix, which has far less bumps and bits of rock.

Just about any container can be utilized as a mold for concrete, provided you are able to get the finished product out of it. Bowls, cups, milk cartons, jugs, the ideas are bountiful. At present, I've found much delight in selecting unique glass containers from second hand stores and yard sales. If the finished item cannot be dropped or dumped out of the mold, after the concrete has fully set up, simply (and gently) tap the glass to crack or break it from your concrete creation, then rinse off the glass and be sure to take it to the recycling center.

Plastic, stainless steel and other materials release from the cured concrete easily when non-stick spray is applied to the mold prior to adding concrete.

NON-STICK COOKING SPRAY - Yes, release agents are sold specifically for the purpose of mold release when using concrete, but quite frankly, a cheap can of non-stick cooking spray works just fine. Use it generously to ensure your project will slide out of the mold.

A WATER BATH - Concrete is not as easy as mix, set and forget. It needs to harden, or 'cure'. Unfortunately, concrete is notorious for setting before the ingredients have had a chance to bond as securely as they could have. The result of a rushed concrete job is cracking, weakened durability and a crumbled project. I allow my projects to remain in the mold for a minimum of 24 hours, then carefully remove, and gently set the item into a deep bath of water for a minimum of one week. Okay, fine, I admit it, I stuff them into pond plant containers and sometimes in with the Koi. Often I submerge the entire project to avoid any damage. DON'T rush it, don't be impatient. The reward to patience is well worth it. A week. I mean it!

WATER - Necessary to mix with the concrete. Not too hot, not too cold, not too much, not too little. Perhaps my 'luck' has been the love of making mud pies as a child. Think Goldilocks, and mix well.

RUBBER GLOVES - Nothing fancy needed, but you should wear them. Be safe, not sorry. Concrete poisoning is no fun, and it's not pretty. I know this from personal experience.

EMERGENCY MOLDS - So you've mixed a pristine batch of concrete, you've sprayed the mold and you're in the process of filling it. Whoops, not enough concrete! Quick, dump it out and reach for another mold. Keep one close by for this very reason, and don't forget to spray it first. It is better to make a bit more than to end up a bit short.

A POKER - You'll need something about the circumference of a pencil to poke out air bubbles.

A LARGE SPOON - Or any similar item to mix the concrete. My favorite? A skinny garden trowel. Keep your eyes off items in the utensil drawer of the kitchen unless you no longer wish to use it on food.

BUCKETS, MEASURING CUPS, MISCELLANEOUS 'TOOLS OF THE TRADE' - Obtain inexpensive tools and reserve them for concrete projects alone, as they will become tarnished with concrete. Don't be wasteful. Clean and re-use your tools.

Spray your mold and set aside. Mix the concrete so it is about the consistency of peanut butter, not a slushee. It should hold a bit of form when shaped into a ball, but not so wet that it slumps, and not so dry that you can't make a ball without a great deal of effort. Pack the mold, tapping and poking the concrete down into any crevices in the mold. Once filled, level off the top with something flat like a ruler. Set on a level surface out of direct sun. Wait twenty four hours before you even think of touching it.

TIME - Now you have to make a decision. I've tried submerging the entire project, mold and all, for one week before attempting to remove glass molds, as well as removing the mold by breaking it after 24 hours. I highly suggest submerging the entire project. In a week's time, you will be able to gently smack the glass and remove it from the concrete as opposed to risking a not-quite-set-yet project.

After completion, be sure to wash off your tools as well as you can, and make certain you wash your hands and arms well. Apply lotion. In one week's time, remove the concrete item from the water and...enjoy!

This message was edited Jul 9, 2012 7:42 PM

Thumbnail by WUVIE
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sonoranpoet
Cave Creek, AZ
(Zone 9b)

June 25, 2011
2:34 PM

Post #8654107

thanks I've just begin to experiment and have been making some cobbles for a garden path. I found the same thing w/ cooking spray...works great...don't let it pool when you spray it wipe it to spread it around and it releases fine as long as you let the concrete sit in the mold long enough...I'm going to try some other projects now that my confidence is up a bit with my first small project. I use the 40lb bags of Quickrete because it is about all I can handle. I never tried sitting it under water. Have been spraying it down and using clear plastic w/ good success. Thanks for posting this...love your bowls inhabitant!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

June 27, 2011
6:58 AM

Post #8657320

hey girl good to see you posting
great TUT
putting on the 2do list
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

June 27, 2011
9:43 AM

Post #8657616

Hi Cheryl,

I hope to add more pictures one of these days. Good to see you!

Thumbnail by WUVIE

dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 27, 2011
9:59 AM

Post #8657651

Hi Wuvie and welcome back. Thank you for giving me something else for my must do list. LOL, now if we could get Gourd back, I would never catch up. Love that bowl & Frog.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

June 27, 2011
10:06 AM

Post #8657668

LOL I thought the frog was concrete till I opened it ...
Yes We do need Gourd to get back here too
J2222
Southern California, CA

June 27, 2011
6:18 PM

Post #8658537

This is the best tut. Thanks!! I "wuv" it.
rampbrat
Abilene, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 14, 2011
11:28 AM

Post #8692095

Is the concrete firm enough to pack to the inside of the mold or did you have to put something in the middle after you put the concrete in? You know what I mean?
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2011
9:15 AM

Post #8695737

Hi Ramp,

I do see what you mean, but it may be difficult to explain. I did not have to
place anything in the middle of the concrete to form the indention. Picture
the exact bowl I made, but in clear glass. The bottom is open, so in other words,
the 'mold' I used looked exactly as the bowl does, but made of glass. When the
'bowl' is turned upside down, the bottom is open glass, you could put your hand
into it.

I turned the bowl upside down, then filled the cavity with concrete, packing as I
went. After it was cured, I turned the bowl back over, so the indention now becomes
the center, or the 'well', if you will.

Oh, how I wish I had a picture of it before I broke the glass. I cannot find them
anywhere, even on the internet.

Hope this helps,
Karen
rampbrat
Abilene, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 18, 2011
12:48 PM

Post #8699915

sure does, thanks.
lizh
N.C. Mts., NC
(Zone 6b)

July 18, 2011
2:12 PM

Post #8700049

I guess I'm dumb. Do you put the concrete on the outside of the bowl or on the inside?
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2011
5:42 PM

Post #8700537

Lizh,

No, you're not dumb at all. I wish I had a photo of the glass bowl taken before
it was broken. This is what makes it difficult to explain. This was not just a bowl,
but a bubble bowl. The glass was bubbled. I turned it upside down, where it was open,
and then filled the bubble, or the opening, with concrete. Once it was dry, I turned
it over, and wa-la.

I'll try to find a glass bowl like it, and as soon as I do, I'll post a picture to help explain
how this was done.

:-) KM

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2011
6:05 PM

Post #8700600

Karen, you never fail to amaze me!!!! that bowl is great & the pic with frog is just the BEST!!!!
Susan_C
Alameda, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 19, 2011
11:42 AM

Post #8701892

Hi Wuvie,

Was the bowl you used like this one?

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l181/maryo1944/garden/bowl2.jpg
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2011
12:38 PM

Post #8701990

Susan, yes, yes, yes, that is it!
Do you own that bowl?

Whooo hooooo! :-)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 19, 2011
1:01 PM

Post #8702054

Thanks for taking the time to post all this. Your bowl is great, Wuvie.
Susan_C
Alameda, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 20, 2011
10:13 AM

Post #8703819

Hi Wuvie,

No, not my bowl. -I understood what you meant so did a search on 'floater bowl' and that was one of the images that came up. I wish I could find one so I could try out your technique!
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

July 20, 2011
11:24 AM

Post #8703981

Wonderful revisit to one of my most loved pastimes. Only problem was that I do everything in excess - I mean EXCESS. One hint to add to the tutorial is that the craft paints hold up amazingly well out of doors - I have tons of leaves and pavers around the ranch that have not dimmed at all in 7 years!!!!!!!!!!

Paint, wipe, paint more - most of my stuff was concrete leaves - so this is just a little "aside".

WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2011
1:50 PM

Post #8704285

Danc, so glad you mentioned the paint.
Is there a particular brand you favor?

:-)

Susan, darn, drat, dagnabbit! Hope you can find one!
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

July 20, 2011
6:49 PM

Post #8704779

Folk Art, Patio Paint, DecorArt - found many of them at Michael's or WalMart. When I was doing the big leaves - rhubarb and such - I would use exterior latex from Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. I would buy their mistakes - the ones not blended right for a home painter. One thing wonderful is that if you don't like what you get, you can just paint over something else. Use a rag as much as a brush -------- and then the craft paints for special effects. Just SO much fun that talking about it "almost" makes me want to get back into it - but marketing was never my forte, all my friends have been gifted, and even community raffles have received my donations. LOL Living rural on acreage certain made my addiction flourish!!!!!
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2011
7:52 AM

Post #8705808

Found another example of the glass dish, though this one
is in the UK.

http://www.aromaglowwholesale.co.uk/index-3.html

Other sources:
http://www.mbkwholesale.com/category.aspx/rendered/gt-2379_floating_candle_in_glass_bowl.aspx

:-)

This message was edited Jul 21, 2011 9:04 AM

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2011
8:37 AM

Post #8708408

OH Heck, they are sold out on your second site...
and not offered on the site in the UK
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2011
3:14 PM

Post #8712870

Whoo hooo! I found another dish! This one is larger, but more shallow.
Unless the heat wave pushes me back indoors, I intend to fill the new bowl
with concrete. Here goes!

Note, the bowl is shown upside down.

This message was edited Jul 24, 2011 4:15 PM

Thumbnail by WUVIE

WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2011
3:20 PM

Post #8712882

Here is the same bowl, but 'right side' up.

Thumbnail by WUVIE

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

July 24, 2011
8:57 PM

Post #8713376

ok I got ya now its a one time use of the glass bowl as the mold... right??

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2011
3:45 AM

Post #8713550

Hi WUVIE, been watching your thread so I can learn how to do this! I was actually on the 'Hypertufa and Concrete' forum and someone said go to 'Trash to Treasure' and read Wuvie's post. I have been reading and I am starting to understand some things. I was curious about why you were so excited about the glass bowl? Aren't you afraid it will break and why not use a plastic bowl? Was it about size? Are you going to let it sit for 24 hours and submerge it ? I really love your bird bath with the frog on it ! :)
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2011
7:11 AM

Post #8713836

Hi there!

Sadly, yes, it is a one time use. Of course, you can always leave the glass
intact, creating a glass / concrete bowl combination, which would be
neat. I'm thinking of doing just that for a pet water bowl, so they can't
tip it over.

Virginia, the glass bowl cannot be removed intact, it is the shape I am after.
Though I have been making other bowls with plastic bowls and molds,
the curve of the underside of the bowl combined with the angled side I'm after.
I try to look at it this way...(insert maniacal laugh)...if I don't buy the bowl
at the second hand store, eventually someone else will.

Sooner or later, the glass bowl will be broken, the pieces will be tossed
into the trash. Gone. Vanished. Wasted.

If 'I' buy the bowl, I'll fill it with concrete, smash the glass, recycle the
glass, AND still have a cool bowl that will be around for years to come.
LOL.

When I get home this evening, I'll smack the glass, submerge it for a few
days, then remove the glass and sink it again for good measure. :-)

Can you tell I'm easily amused?

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2011
5:37 PM

Post #8715005

Ok I understand, sounds like a good plan. I would like to make one too, but not to start off with, I would like to make a couple of flower pots, some fake river rocks and maybe a stepping stone. It was the fake rocks that got me looking into this. Do you think a whiskey barrel will do good for submerging stuff. I will be on the lookout for a glass bowl. I can do searches on eBay and Craigslist, etc. I already have a plastic mould for stepping stones, but I haven't figured out how to do the river rocks. Someone on the Hosta forum was using Styrofoam, I am assuming she just covered them with the concrete and left the Styrofoam in there? Or do you pull it out the bottom and they are kinda hollow, they just look like a rock. Would it dry properly if you left it in there?
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2011
6:41 PM

Post #8715154

Hi Virginia,

Oh yes, Styrofoam is another good source of molding, but I'm not sure
if you are referring to covering Styrofoam or making indentions in a large
sheet and filling it with concrete. I've seen both with good results.

Funny you should mention that, as I found a large piece of Styrofoam at
work and intended to do precisely that...use for concrete work.

:-) Karen

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

July 26, 2011
2:13 AM

Post #8715689

Wow, that's cool. I was thinking about covering the styrofoam with concrete mixture, just pack it on and try to make it look like a rock. I just didn't know if that would dry properly. Maybe I should just pack it on the top and pull the styro out the bottom. Then It would be hollow in the middle and the hole would be under the rock. I love the idea of making rocks because they are so much lighter and easy to move around. How do you do it??
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2011
4:29 AM

Post #8715759

Hi Virginia,

Sadly, I don't have much time, I'm supposed to be getting ready for work. Ha!

You might consider covering the styrofoam with a bit of wire, perhaps chicken wire,
to give the concrete more 'cling'. I'll be back later, hopefully with some links, but
I think the Hypertuffa forum would be filled with such information. I'll try to get back
on later to see what I can find for you.

wannadanc
Olympia, WA

July 26, 2011
6:21 AM

Post #8715889

My boulder has a plastic trash bag filled with paper and styrofoam and such at the center. The next layer was chicken wire, as Wuvie has suggested. THEN - hypertufa - slowly and methodically applied. I used a wheelbarrow as staging area, because in the final analysis, it WAS too big for me to move by hand. I would allow each section to cure some before turning the boulder and adding another section. 6 years later, it is alive and well and marks the turn into my driveway!!!! Moss has begun to grow on it!!!
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2011
10:07 AM

Post #8716309

Danc, so glad you posted. My knowledge of hypertuffa is
very limited. I'll bet your boulder is gorgeous with the moss!

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

July 26, 2011
12:23 PM

Post #8716529

OMG! Then it can be done. You just cover the Styrofoam with chicken wire and do it a section at a time. Scene you could not lift it how did you cure it? I bet it is really nice with the moss. :)
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

July 26, 2011
2:53 PM

Post #8716821

Thanks, Wuvie!!!!

Virginiarose, I didn't do anything special for curing, just left it alone till it was well hardened, then rolled it a bit in the wheelbarrow to expose a new side on which to apply more hypertufa.

Even I have been amazed that it has lasted this long without crumbling!!!!!

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

July 26, 2011
3:53 PM

Post #8716911

Sounds like a good plan, I will just stick with the smaller stuff for now. I would just like to do some river rocks for a Hosta bed. I will keep you and Wuvie posted.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2011
12:41 AM

Post #8726747

If you try to make it hollow, it might break later on. Using chicken wire or stucco/plaster lath would give it some strength as would just leaving the styrofoam inside.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

July 31, 2011
1:46 AM

Post #8726766

Yea, I was thinking that would be easier too. Sounds like a plan. Thanks!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

August 11, 2011
4:17 PM

Post #8750916

looks like our Wuvie is Famous... Way to go Karen
http://www.instructables.com/id/Easy-to-make-concrete-bowls-and-planters/
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2011
12:55 AM

Post #8751582

Wonderful! Congratulations!

(we knew her when...)

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

August 12, 2011
1:43 AM

Post #8751593

Great article! Thanks WUVIE!
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 13, 2011
7:22 PM

Post #8754832

Oh my, that Instructable really took off!

It is so much fun to hear other people get excited about things
like this, even if they alter the idea, change the procedure, etc.

Thumbs up for creativity in crowds! :-)

Samigal

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

August 13, 2011
9:16 PM

Post #8755035

Great article WUVIE!!
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2011
9:35 AM

Post #8770824

Really great idea. I will have to look at the hypert forums and threads.
PrettylilyMandy
South China, ME
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2011
2:57 AM

Post #8792264

I have been wanting to try doing this for a long time!!! Thanks for the tips!
Fleur_2011
Yucaipa, CA
(Zone 10a)

March 27, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9058826

@ wuvie ~ I like the concrete bowl with the frog also. Looks cute! I'm limited as to what I can use for "outside" garden decor. I live in a mobile home park, so have to limit items so it doesn't look too tacky. I did buy a water fountain from Walmart few years back that will go in my front yard. I'm going to 'recycle' the gravel that is out front now, to the back area. I've already got approval from the park manager to put in my water fountain [will double as a bird bath] and redo the gravel with a 'terracotta' color gravel. Before I do all that, I have to take all the existing gravel out, treat the dirt with some weed killer & then lay down some new "weed" barrier. Luckily, I have a hand tiller that I can use with that project. I don't think the park manager would like to see old toilets or tubs sitting out front, even if they had flowers in them! LOL !!!
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2012
11:18 PM

Post #9072720

Wuvie, did you put the concrete inside the bowl, or turn it over and cover the outside?
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 6, 2012
11:36 PM

Post #9072725

I have always thought that concrete leaches into soil for a while after being poured making the soil too alkaline for plants. Is there anything to that notion or do y'all do something to the products you make to prevent this?
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

April 7, 2012
5:49 AM

Post #9072828

Jnette On the bowl above she poured it inside the bowl if you look at the picture you will see a hole in the bottom and then broke the mold to get it out .

Steadycam3 you can soak it in water for a few days to leach it out .
desert_witch
Lucerne Valley, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 23, 2012
11:38 AM

Post #9135257

I'm not sure if this is relevant for many of you, but I live in the desert where the soil is very sandy. Digging shapes into damp sand works well for interestingly textured and shaped concrete molds. Looking at the shape of that awesome glass bowl, I'm thinking it might be sculpted upside-down in damp, sandy ground and poured. I don't have pics of the ones I made like this long ago, but am planning on making some more this year so I'll post pics when I do, if you all wish. Cool thing also about this method is that fun, decorative "junk" can be pressed into the sand, (leaving enough exposed to embed in the concrete). When it's dry just dig it up and begin again!

ifantail

ifantail
Englewood, FL

May 23, 2012
2:02 PM

Post #9135464

Do we want pictures? are you kidding !! {;o)
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 23, 2012
9:27 PM

Post #9136111

Well Ya. What are you waiting for woman, an engraved invitation? lol
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2012
9:57 PM

Post #9136124

I would love to see them too. Jeanette

Samigal

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 24, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #9136671

We all need pictures!! One of my favorite past times is looking what others are creating.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #9137226

Yeah me too.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

May 25, 2012
2:08 PM

Post #9138433

oh yes pictures are like food for the mind ... we love pictures

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 9, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9158651

desert_witch, where are those pictures??? LOL... would love to see your work.

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9159552

pictures please...Thank you...Deb
HL_Nursery777
Dunnellon, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 4, 2012
10:32 PM

Post #9193488

Hey Mr. Toad! I love that cute little toad there in the picture.

Dustin

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

July 9, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9199252

WUVIE, I found one of those goofy bowls today at Goodwill, so I'm going to try my hand at making a concrete pot like yours! Thanks for the inspiration!
--
Bev
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 9, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9199668

Oh, that is cool, Sundownr! Hope you'll post your results. Have fun!

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

July 9, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9199800

I will! Thanks again,
--
Bev
velveteena
Seattle, WA

July 25, 2012
1:54 AM

Post #9217694

This is so cool, but it did take me awhile to figure out that Froggie was REAL! I have no frog visitors :( Now then, what do "normal" people use those glass bubble bowls for? Someone mentioned floating, I think, which I assume means candles or flowers.
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #9218769

Hello Velveteena,

The 'normal' people (giggle) use it for a decorative item on a table top, usually filled with
flowers and such, just as you mentioned.

I found one a few weeks ago at a yard sale, it even came complete with a rubber stopper.

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2012
10:16 PM

Post #9218963

Wuvie, are you bragging, or just trying to make us feel bad?
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #9221631

LOL Jnette, naw. If I were to brag, it would be about the seven or eight other bubble bowls
I recently found, including two tiny bubble bowls. But I wouldn't do that...

;-)
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2012
3:39 PM

Post #9221718

LOL,. thanks for being so considerate Wuvie. However, what are bubble bowls?
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2012
4:35 AM

Post #9223297

Jnette, LOL, they are the bowls in the tutorial.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Easy-to-make-concrete-bowls-and-planters/#step5

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2012
9:49 AM

Post #9223616

Ok, it has been so long since I read it I forgot.
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9224110

I hope you are able to find some in your area. They are tough boogers to locate, but
yard sales are sometimes a score. :-)
angie35
Winnsboro, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 29, 2012
4:43 AM

Post #9257922

I have a friend who had a table mass out of an elephant ear. His plant was the largest I have ever seen. I've thought about grunge this myself but the elephant ears year so easily. Anyone have any ideas on now I can do this. Unfortunately I don't have any pics if his.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 29, 2012
2:47 PM

Post #9258535

One more question anyone: If you want to use the bowl for a planter you need drain holes in the bottom. If you are using a solid glass bowl how can you put holes in the bottom of the concrete you shape inside?

Also, can very large nursery pots be used as molds if they are really strong? Those could have a large straw put into holes in bottom while shaping the concrete. Right???

Bonnie
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

September 1, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #9261572

Easy to make holes in green concrete - i.e. while it is still wet, use a probe, pencil, or even your finger to wiggle hole(s) in the bottom. Once it is free from its mold, you can smooth the edges using a round file should you wish.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 1, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9261814

Thanks much. When I get my plants set up in ponds again maybe I'll have time to try a container for plants. Winds from TS blew them over and out of their pots. My son wires his pond plants right thru bottom of pots so I will do that this time.
Happy pot making all.
Bonnie

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
here's my little treasure wheel Gourd 67 Jul 14, 2013 12:59 PM
Thank you Terry for this forum! Tradewind_64 26 Apr 17, 2010 4:52 AM
My second plant stand Vee8ch 30 Oct 18, 2007 12:48 AM
A Filigris Arbor Made from Trash ButterflyChaser 58 Sep 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America