Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Hostas: Hosta identification - please help

Communities > Forums > Hostas
bookmark
Forum: HostasReplies: 5, Views: 58
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tracey8165
Pembroke, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2011
6:00 PM

Post #8654477

I have two hostas that I have been trying to identify for years. I have two picture filled encyclopedias of hostas and still have not been postively able to identify these. If anyone knows what they are please let me know.

this one I thought was 'Invincible', but the flowers are lavender, not white, and they are not fragrant.

Thumbnail by tracey8165
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tracey8165
Pembroke, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2011
6:01 PM

Post #8654481

The second one I have no idea what it is.

Thumbnail by tracey8165

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2011
6:45 PM

Post #8654576

Are the flowers on the first one a dark lavender? This is MY Invincible blooming last August and the flowers are not white, but a light lavender. They are not fragrant and never have been. I think your ID is right.

I really have no ID about the second one. It doesn't look very mature. Has it bloomed? If so, when and what colour was the bloom? If it's as immature as it appears, it might look somewhat different once it matures.

Ann

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

tracey8165
Pembroke, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2011
7:06 PM

Post #8654635

They are light lavender. So maybe it is 'Invincible'.
The second one has never bloomed for me. It did poorly in its original location and has been very slow to grow in its current location. It has been about 3 years. This year is the biggest it has gotten yet.

Thanks,
Tracey

Eleven

Eleven
Royal Oak, MI
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2011
7:59 PM

Post #8654735

Tracey, I think maybe your first hosta is Undulata 'Erromena' as I have lots in my front yard and they look the same. They're pretty big, bloom lavender, and often re-bloom later in the year. Sorry but I don't have any pics of them right now. I will get some tomorrow.

Here's an old thread where I figured out the difference between them an Royal Standard:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/989633/

The previous homeowner replanted divisions and often mixed the two varieties. This pic from the thread shows RS on the left and UE on the right:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6558277

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2011
5:05 AM

Post #8655158

Eleven - I don't think the Undulata 'Erromena' leaves are as glossy as those that Tracey has shown above. But it might come down to bloom time. I believe 'Erromena' blooms earlier than Invincible and the flowers are a darker lavender.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hostas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Your Favorite Hosta... blonde_elf 117 Nov 16, 2009 7:06 PM
Mania Links pupper 5 May 21, 2007 10:11 PM
Help me choose leslie 10 Jul 16, 2008 10:40 AM
Lovely Loretta jody 55 Jun 23, 2007 11:02 AM
cup hostas handhelpers 11 Aug 25, 2007 7:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America