Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

PlantFiles How-to's: identification questions.

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles How-to's
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles How-to'sReplies: 3, Views: 50
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mf1217
Suffolk, VA

June 26, 2011
5:26 AM

Post #8655180

I am NEWto the whole gardening hobby, but enjoy learning new things. I have just moved to VA and in my new garden is a plant no one seems to be able to identify in my group. I would like to use Plant Files but it is not user friendly to a commoner like myself who is just learning. AND although I may sound stupid... Can someone tell me or explain what I need to put into the Query to find this plant?

Common name: IF I knew the common name... I probably wouldn't have to look it up.

Family: When it first started growing, everyone thought it was pot!!! but not sure it would really be in the family.

Genus: Ok experienced gardners... what does this mean?

Species - again if I knew this I would have an easier time and wouldn't have to ask.

Cultivar ?
Hybridizer ?
Cultivar preference: uh... I would make a choice but first what is a cultivar.

Thumbnail by mf1217
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 26, 2011
5:52 AM

Post #8655209

PlantFiles can't help you identify a completely unknown plant - if you don't know at least part of it's name, your best bet is to post a photo and description of it in our Plant ID forum here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/plantid/all/
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2011
9:05 AM

Post #8655488

Once you do know some part of its name, just stick that in the appropriate field. You only have to know one thing in order to do a search, you don't have to fill in every single blank. Of course the more you know, the more you can narrow your search so you won't have to wade through as many results.

You may also find the "general search" more useful than the "specific search" which it sounds like you were trying to use. To use the general search, you still have know at least one of those bits of information, but you don't need to know if the name you have is the genus, species, common name, family, etc as you would with the specific search. (there's a link to the general search in the little paragraph just above all the blanks in the specific search)
LB2
Centerport, NY

August 6, 2012
9:43 AM

Post #9231626

mf1217
Looks like a variety of perennial Hibiscus. good luck

Post a reply to this thread:

Your message:

You may upload up to 5 images. Press CTRL to select more than one image file.

Upload Images to your reply

-

Other PlantFiles How-to's Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
    Why don't you follow the rules of nomenclature? Terry 1 May 31, 2008 3:40 PM
    Taxonomy changes coming in the PDB Terry 41 Oct 20, 2007 2:03 AM
    How do I search for what is reported to grow well near me? ceallachg 12 Aug 29, 2008 11:27 PM
    Meet your PlantFiles Editors Terry 44 Aug 26, 2010 1:35 AM
    Royalty lilac bigcityal 7 Aug 8, 2007 11:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
    Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America