Identity Crisis

North Plains, OR(Zone 8a)

I grew a number of varieties of hardy geranium from seen. They are about three years in the garden and thriving. One of them has always bloomed with two different flower colors - some flowers are white and some are purple. I would love to know if this is some sort of sport or an actual variety.

Has anyone every seen a geranium with two different color flowers on the same plant?

Corvallis, OR(Zone 8b)

Soldiersong: The flowers, leaves and fruit in the pictures are all of Meadow Cranesbill (Geranium pratense). The veins in the flower petals tend toward off-white or ivory. Petal color within a group of plants can vary from rather deep bluish purple to white, with nice light bluish or purplish in betweens. I have not seen white and blue flowers on the same plant except in "striatum" or Slish-Splash, but that is not what you have. As to a variety, I don't know. I like these plant in my garden because because a group of them give such a wide variety of colors, including white.

North Plains, OR(Zone 8a)

I know. I have many varieties of cranesbill that I grew from seed, this being one of them. It is just a puzzle that it blooms in two distinct colors. I'm going to save some seeds this year and see if the second generation does the same thing.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images