Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums: Identity Crisis

Communities > Forums > Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums
bookmark
Forum: Geraniums, Pelargoniums and ErodiumsReplies: 2, Views: 37
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
soldiersong
North Plains, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2011
6:26 AM

Post #8655261

I grew a number of varieties of hardy geranium from seen. They are about three years in the garden and thriving. One of them has always bloomed with two different flower colors - some flowers are white and some are purple. I would love to know if this is some sort of sport or an actual variety.

Has anyone every seen a geranium with two different color flowers on the same plant?
OwlCreekGarden
Corvallis, OR
(Zone 8b)

June 27, 2011
2:18 PM

Post #8658105

Soldiersong: The flowers, leaves and fruit in the pictures are all of Meadow Cranesbill (Geranium pratense). The veins in the flower petals tend toward off-white or ivory. Petal color within a group of plants can vary from rather deep bluish purple to white, with nice light bluish or purplish in betweens. I have not seen white and blue flowers on the same plant except in "striatum" or Slish-Splash, but that is not what you have. As to a variety, I don't know. I like these plant in my garden because because a group of them give such a wide variety of colors, including white.
soldiersong
North Plains, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 12, 2011
5:25 AM

Post #8687588

I know. I have many varieties of cranesbill that I grew from seed, this being one of them. It is just a puzzle that it blooms in two distinct colors. I'm going to save some seeds this year and see if the second generation does the same thing.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Never grew these before.. Brugie 21 May 3, 2007 2:20 PM
Visions Light Pink echoes 5 May 4, 2009 8:38 PM
Overwintering - dumb question, I know AlohaHoya 28 Mar 19, 2007 4:00 PM
Hardy Geranium resource links, info, and pics? tabasco 46 Jul 26, 2007 7:26 PM
Plain ole standard geranium....how cold can i let them get?? sticks_n_stones 12 Mar 30, 2007 2:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America