Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Hostas: Cutting back dead flowered stalks on hostas.

Communities > Forums > Hostas
bookmark
Forum: HostasReplies: 11, Views: 84
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sighhbrrgal
Cool Springs, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 27, 2011
6:02 AM

Post #8657218

After the flowers have all bloomed, and they die off, should I be trimming back these unsightly stalks on a hosta? How far back because they do have nice leaves on them. Will they bloom again?
Paul2063
Pleasant Grove, UT

June 27, 2011
5:28 PM

Post #8658428

This is a matter of personal taste. I cut them off because I think the plant looks better as the bloom stalk declines. I cut them off down in the clump so they are not visible. I'm not crazy for the bloom on some hosta but others are attractive. I'll post a couple of pictures. I've haven't had any rebloom.

This message was edited Jun 27, 2011 6:30 PM
Paul2063
Pleasant Grove, UT

June 27, 2011
6:03 PM

Post #8658506

Emerging bloom on Great Expectations

Thumbnail by Paul2063
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Paul2063
Pleasant Grove, UT

June 27, 2011
6:04 PM

Post #8658509

Ditto...GE

Thumbnail by Paul2063

Paul2063
Pleasant Grove, UT

June 27, 2011
6:07 PM

Post #8658515

4 foot and still growing bloom stalk on Victory

Thumbnail by Paul2063

Paul2063
Pleasant Grove, UT

June 27, 2011
6:08 PM

Post #8658520

Victory again

Thumbnail by Paul2063

beaux
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 27, 2011
6:48 PM

Post #8658597

I agree that it's a matter of personal taste. I am not a hosta flower scape fan and usually spend some time every week cutting down the "spent" scapes. And some are much more "ugly" to me than others. My first hostas to lose their scapes around here are the ring of Blue Mammouth hostas that I have around one of my trees. When I see them start to emerge, I know their end is coming! Maybe it's because there are so many of them all together and they bloom at exactly the same time.

No harm to the plants. I do the same as Paul - cut them down below the tops of the folliage of the leaves so they don't show.

BUT...this year I have decided that the scapes of the minis are just too cute to cut down early. Time will tell if they get "ratty" looking to me. But for now, I think that the tiny little flowers look awesome.
Paul2063
Pleasant Grove, UT

June 27, 2011
8:09 PM

Post #8658872

Purple bloom stems coming on 'Pilgrim'

Thumbnail by Paul2063

franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 28, 2011
6:24 AM

Post #8659521

I used to cut scapes after blooming. It is said that HVX doesn't transmit after blooming but I am not taking any chances. I no longer hop from plant to plant cutting anything. Now I just leave spent scapes until they can be pulled by hand once they have dried up. I have noticed more seedlings coming up here and there since I leave the scapes on. My Empress Wu has about 50-60 little seedlings going half way around it.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 28, 2011
7:19 AM

Post #8659656

I still cut them unless I want to collect the seeds. Clean my tools between plants.
Sighhbrrgal
Cool Springs, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 4, 2011
1:02 PM

Post #8671903

I want to thank everyone for their responses. Right now, most of the blooms are gone. I'll be out at 6 am cutting them back. Oh, and I didn't know I could collect seeds from them. Maybe I should ask how that's done and what to look for before I cut them back!!! Any takers?

I only know the name of one of my many hostas because I bought them and planted them myself. It's a Blue Hosta. I'm new to gardening these and that's all I know. The stalks on those are just now starting to grow.

However, all the other hostas are of the same variety (I have no clue what they are called) but the stalks are an average of 3 feet tall!

My only real concern about cutting them back (especially now that the blooms and gone) is that half of that 3 feet has leaves here and there on the stalks themselves and was afraid I'd be killing the Hosta.

This message was edited Jul 4, 2011 4:08 PM

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2011
4:35 PM

Post #8672315

You can collect the seeds, but be forewarned that hostas in general do not come true by seed. Expect of lot of nondescript green hostas. However, you MIGHT get a surprise. I have one seedling that early in the season is two colours though it greens up in July. I have another that is a lovely marginated plant - reverse colour of its parent. You might get some with red petioles or wavy leaves and only time will tell whether they are worth keeping.

There are some good tips about hosta seeds here - http://perfectperennials.tripod.com/id10.html

Have fun. :-) Next thing you might be out there at 5 am pollinating the flowers.

Ann

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hostas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Your Favorite Hosta... blonde_elf 117 Nov 16, 2009 7:06 PM
Mania Links pupper 5 May 21, 2007 10:11 PM
Help me choose leslie 10 Jul 16, 2008 10:40 AM
Lovely Loretta jody 55 Jun 23, 2007 11:02 AM
cup hostas handhelpers 11 Aug 25, 2007 7:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America