Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

California Gardening: anyone growing lotus ??

Communities > Forums > California Gardening
bookmark
Forum: California GardeningReplies: 3, Views: 79
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
realsis

June 27, 2011
10:46 AM

Post #8657732

hi fellow california people! i was wondering if anyone is growing lotus?? if so , how do YOU overwinter your lotus?? i live in the san jauquin valley so its hot hot hot here! but in the winter it does get cold but we rarely freeze. although it can happen for a couple of days. last year i overwintered two lotus in the lotus bog pond and the rest in buckets. the only winter survivers were the two in the pond!! i wonder why?? were not THAT cold?? so back to my question, how do YOU OVERWINTER your lotus?? any advice?? thanks...

Thumbnail by realsis
Click the image for an enlarged view.

shorty07
San Jose, CA

November 19, 2012
12:35 AM

Post #9336796

I live in San Jose and my Lotus is in large pot (maybe 25 gal) and they do just fine. I just leave them there. They are in the sun. I don't have them in fish pond because they need special water. Either rain or distilled.
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 12, 2013
3:20 AM

Post #9446588

Mine are in pots in the gh. They do fine even if it is unheated. They do die back but in the spring, they reemerge.
I don't dare put them in the pond until I train the dog to stay out of it!
I am wondering how you chose to overwinter your lotus and if they survived.
Please keep us posted.
WIB~
SW
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2013
5:01 PM

Post #9464290

I've tried over and over to grow them from seed, but no luck.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other California Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hello fellow Californians....let's introduce ourselves! Kachinagirl 398 Mar 12, 2011 9:02 PM
Your area's best nurseries srkrause 98 Aug 9, 2007 10:51 PM
Any gopher solutions? Zuzu 410 Nov 19, 2011 8:08 PM
Procrastinating and Pots Happenstance 114 May 8, 2007 11:53 AM
Anyone else have squirrel problems? lilystorm 23 Aug 2, 2008 6:40 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America