Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Recipes: gas grill help

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 11, Views: 115
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 27, 2011
2:05 PM

Post #8658060

We've just purchased a gas grill and since we have always used wood or charcoal to grill we need some help in figuring out how to use it. Does anyone have any suggestions on what works and how? Any great recipes to share with me?
Edens_Gardener
Clay Center, KS
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2011
2:12 PM

Post #8658089

Here is a good website, many of their recipes will give the gas grill and the charcoal grill methods.
http://www.weber.com/grillout

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 27, 2011
8:50 PM

Post #8658975

One good thing about gas you don't have to wait for the charcoal to heat up. We tend to use a lot of foil because ours seems to flare up a lot
toni5735
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 2, 2011
9:22 PM

Post #8668984

Preheat the oven for a couple minutes before you put any meat on, it helps to keep from sticking. Also, I find that cooking on low to medium heat is best. Find the "hotspot", the place where everything tends to flare up, for me it's in the very back. Be sure to scrape the drippings/burnt particles that have fallen off the racks and onto the plates below before cooking anything. These things have a tendency to flare up and don't forget to empty the grease bucket/tray b/c it can accumulate lots of fat and drippings when cooking fatty meats.

Make sure the lid is always open when lighting the grill and don't keep punching the ignition button if it doesn't start on the first 2-3 presses. Give the propane enough time to "air" before you try again. If it still doesn't light, check the battery in the ignition.

I love my gas grill and use it everyday in the summer. The best thing is that it's ready when you are. No waiting for coal and no fumes from starter fluid. As far as recipes, I usually do steaks, pork chops, terryaki porkloin, pub burgers, bbq chicken breasts (bone-in) or pinwheel legs, split whole chicken halves, seasoned skirt steak (arrachera), beef, pork or chicken shish-kabobs, veggie shish-kabobs, corn on the cob in foil, potatoes sliced w/onion, peppers, s&p, butter/marg wrapped in foil, etc. ARE YOU HUNGRY YET? LOL!!!

One more thing, if you like to cook often, get a second propane tank and keep it filled in case you're cooking and run out of fuel. It's easier to do a quick switch out than to have to move everything into the kitchen to finish cooking.

This message was edited Jul 2, 2011 10:28 PM
IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 3, 2011
3:40 PM

Post #8670211

Wow toni5735!!! Awesome information!! Thank you soooo much! It's a new adventure for us as we've always used charcoal or wood and we're loving the idea of not having to wait to get the charcoal ready...either it was too hot, to cold or now we need to add more coals ect... Something that you mentioned that I've never heard of before is arrachera...seasoned skirt steak? Is that like flank steak? Again, thank you for the great information!
toni5735
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 3, 2011
6:06 PM

Post #8670486

Hi IowaAnn, arrachera is marinated and tenderized inner skirt steak aka flank steak. It's a mexican dish and used in making fajitas. Here in Chicago, every market is virtually a cornicopia of United Nations when it comes to food. I get arrachera or cesina (means seasoned) steak at my local market. If you buy it unseasoned you can ask for them to put it through a tenderizer machine and then simply use a favorite marinade recipe at home. Usually its lime juice, garlic, beer, etc. There's a ton of recipes on the net for authentic arrachera. Throw it on the grill till your desired doneness but don't overcook, leave a little pink otherwise it'll get tough. You can warm up some corn or flour tortillas on the grill right before serving w/either sauteed onions, peppers and tomatoes (ala fajitas) or pico de gallo (diced tomatoes, onions, jalapeno, lime juice, cilantro). NUM, NUM!!!
IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2011
4:38 AM

Post #8671025

Oh my gosh! We love mexican food and this sounds delicious! We have mexican grocery stores in Des Moines so I'll have to venture in and check out the meat dept. We're anxiously waiting for our tomatoes to ripen so we can make home grown pico de gallo...store bought tomatoes are good in a pinch but who likes to be pinched? : )
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2011
3:59 AM

Post #8675350

Iowa Ann, Ever think of grilling the tomatoes? I cut mine into thick slices(1/2 inch thick) brush with olive oil, sprinkle with mrs. Dash, and place on the top rack in the grill, about 3-5 minutes, goes great with any meat.
also, I live near Elkhart, In. I did not know there was another Elkhart in the US
IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2011
7:59 AM

Post #8675807

I love roasted tomatoes so grilled would be fabulous and quick!! The Elkhart Iowa is a small town with a post office, bar/cafe and a grain elevator. Not much action going on here! LOL! How's your Elkhart?

annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2011
11:17 AM

Post #8676268

Our Elkhart is th Rv manufacturing center of the US, we have at least 20 different companies here, but with the "recession" a lot of them have closed or have slowed production so much we have the nation's highest unemployment... population is about 75,000. Near South Bend, Ind. We are growing again, but not at a rate that will help right away. As for me I lost my job to mexico and am now in nursing. but flowers and gardening are my first loves. And because of the gardening my patients benefit when the harvest is on.
IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2011
2:15 PM

Post #8676593

Gardens help keep our sanity and nourish our souls. No matter what is happening out there in the world the garden is my sanctuary. : )
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2011
4:41 AM

Post #8677655

Sanity yes! right now mine is being tested by the "critters" those whit fur and feathers. have fence up, but they still try. Grill rabbit anyone?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America