Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: When common is not ordinary, even if it is "plane": European 'Sycamore'

Communities > Forums > Article: When common is not ordinary, even if it is "plane"
bookmark
Forum: Article: When common is not ordinary, even if it is "plane"Replies: 1, Views: 5
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lortay
Navan
Ireland

June 28, 2011
4:46 AM

Post #8659335

Hi,
I thought it worthwhile to mention that in Britain and Ireland, 'Sycamore' is not the Plane tree, but Acer pseudoplantanus. This tree seeds about and is far more common than any Platanus. It is common in hedgerows, etc, but is not usually deemed to be a good landscape tree due to it's tendancy to seed and its being prone to tar spot fungus which causes early defoliation.

Thumbnail by lortay
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 28, 2011
5:24 AM

Post #8659390

How interesting. And how awful those spots look!
Yup no wonder some people get confused with Acer pseudoplatanus and Platanus acerifloium...I can't even blame this confusion on common names.
Thanks for reading and adding to the topic!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: When common is not ordinary, even if it is "plane" Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
When West meets East! wannadanc 3 Jun 15, 2011 8:57 AM
Plane Trees aren't so Plain After All growin 1 Jun 14, 2011 10:25 AM
When I was a kid they were 'ghosts' scottsmom 1 Jun 20, 2011 5:54 PM
Sycamore battlehound 0 Jun 20, 2011 12:35 PM
I love my Sycamore bobsgirl 3 Jun 26, 2011 3:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America