Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Recipes: recipes to serve at a baby shower???

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 9, Views: 63
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Janiejoy
Silver Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 28, 2011
10:51 AM

Post #8660048

Having a shower in August for my friend's daughter who's like a daughter to me. Need great ideas! She's having a baby girl.

Thanks!
sonoranpoet
Cave Creek, AZ
(Zone 9b)

June 28, 2011
12:46 PM

Post #8660269

one thing I love to make for these kind of things is using tortillas plain or otherwise and spread w/ cream cheese...some w/ chive some plain...use the whipped it's easiest. I spread different things on them and roll them up (wrap in plastic wrap to firm up in the fridge and then cut on an angle about an inch thick (kind of like you'd do w/ a jelly roll) before serving.

I use these combos for filling:

-Smoked salmon/chive cream cheese

-finely chopped veggies or better yet julienned carrots/yellow squash/red onion or thinly sliced red pepper/ plain cream cheese

-thinly sliced ham and/ plain cream cheese

these look nice and are easy to do and make ahead.

MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

June 28, 2011
12:56 PM

Post #8660283

I make those too, they're great. Good finger food.

Try Jo's Sopapilla Cheesecake...http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/721934/
Janiejoy
Silver Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 28, 2011
1:10 PM

Post #8660302

great ideas! Thanks!!
weasel71
Lombard, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 28, 2011
2:14 PM

Post #8660413

Do you have a theme for the shower? Is it a brunch or luncheon or a tea?
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 28, 2011
6:10 PM

Post #8660904

I like a Waldorf chicken salad for August luncheons. There are many recipes on line but the main ingredients are chicken, walnuts, grapes, apples, and celery. I also add grated carrot for sweetness and color. The add ins really stretch the chicken. One chicken breast will feed three to four. That and a simple green salad (with a poppy seed or citrus dressing) or a citrus salad. Add a fresh bread basket and basket of assorted crackers. Include two cheeses on a cutting board and deviled eggs to round the menu out and accommodate guests who may not eat meat. Sprinkle the cheese board with almonds and dried fruits such as figs, apricots or cherries. Make chilled non-caf mint tea with added spices such as cloves, cardamom and cinnamon for the prego crowd. You can make the tea days in advance. For that matter the chicken salad too.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 28, 2011
8:45 PM

Post #8661277

These were both hits when I served them

Cucumber cups
INGREDIENTS
1 English (seedless) cucumber, peeled

1/2 cup peas*(either no salt added canned or fresh or thawed frozen)
1 tablespoon horseradish mustard
1/4 cup sour cream, reduced fat
1/4 cup hummus
1 sprig fresh dill, separated into 12 sections

DIRECTIONS
Cut the cucumber into rounds (approximately 1 1/2 inches each). Scoop out the inner flesh being careful not to scoop out all the way through to the bottom.(I used a melon baller) Place the slices on paper or cotton towels to drain.

Puree the peas, mustard, and sour cream using a blender or immersion blender, or mash with a fork until smooth.

Fill each cup with 2 teaspoons of hummus, then fill to the top with the pea mixture. Garnish with a dill sprig.

One filled cup per serving.

Number of Servings: 12

Green salad with maple dressing

If possible, start with arugula lettuce (makes such a difference) and some baby spinach, or baby spring greens and red and green lettuce. (I used spring mix)
Add:
sliced hearts of palm
cut in half baby artichoke hearts
lots of red onion
black olives
candy some pecans in a skillet by tossing them in melted sugar and honey
dried cranberries
sliced ripe pear
sliced baby portabella mushrooms
lots of crumbled goat cheese

Dressing for an extra large salad
Wisk together:

Balsamic vinegar cup
Maple extract 2 tsps
Mayo cup
Dijon mustard 1/8 cup
Olive oil 1/8 cup
Add:
Warmed maple syrup cup

You can of course adjust any of the ingredients to taste without doing any harm.
Janiejoy
Silver Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 28, 2011
8:55 PM

Post #8661304

The theme is "Baby's Firsts"... first Christmas, first food, first word, etc. and let people choose which one they want to do. There will be about 25 people there. It starts at 4:30 and we were hoping to have dinner as a cookout afterward. I will have help from a dear friend and from the mom, but not much from her because she's recovering from 2 broken ankles right now (osteoporosis).

Thanks for all the good ideas!

Color is probably a yellow since she painted the baby's room yellow with a lighter yellow tree silhouette. Thinking a sweet simple little baby bird thing.

sonoranpoet
Cave Creek, AZ
(Zone 9b)

June 29, 2011
5:19 AM

Post #8661628

flowAjen I want your salad for breakfast.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 29, 2011
11:14 AM

Post #8662204

I have to say that is the BEST salad EVER... 1st time I had it was at a fellow DG'rs swap

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America