Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

"PowWow Wild Berry" 2nd Year

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

Check out the number of blooms and intense color of these! I really like them. These were planted from seeds last year. They bloomed last year, but this year they are a standout in the garden. The blooms don't fade at all. They last a very long time. Possibly, these have the longest lasting blooms of any Echinacea I've grown.

Thumbnail by echinaceamaniac
Prosperity, SC(Zone 7b)

Gotta add these, in 2012. Maybe when I get my PVC Greenhouse constructed I can get an early start.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

My first bloom on mine opened up and I just love the color! Now if I can just keep it from getting infested with mites. If not I am going to have to give up up echinacea or consider them annuals. I would love to mine look like that next year...very nice!!

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Northeast, IL(Zone 5b)

How beautiful! My coneflowers have been ravaged by bunnies this year. Never had that happen before. We have seen a couple of little baby bunnies in the garden, evidently they don't know they aren't supposed to eat coneflowers. If I can solve this problem (i.e. a good rabbit-proof fence) I will have to get some Pow Wows.

Prosperity, SC(Zone 7b)

Oh No I've gone Conflower Krazy....

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

The bug bit me last year. I still don't have that many, about 4 varieties, but that number is sure to go up!
I work at a garden center and have gotten a couple of Pow Wow Berry that were in very sad shape, so I was able to get them on sale.
I'm very happy to hear y'alls comments about them, I really like the fact that they're a smaller plant and am planning on filling a few spots with them.
Barb

Athens, PA

I picked some of the Wild Berry up last night. I am thrilled to hear the color lasts.

Has anybody tried the Pow Wow White coneflower? I also picked up some of those as well. I'd like opinions on this one as well.

Dayton, OH

I like the Pow Wow Strawberry

New Matamoras, OH(Zone 6a)

Carolyn:,

The Pow Wow whites are equally as nice. Same height and plenty of blooms.

Dave

Athens, PA

Dave

thank you. Good to know.

Dayton, OH

Goldenberry, I had rabbits or something that had a field day with most of my Coneflowers last year, they destroyed some of them. I think most of my Coneflowers were saved because I bought them late in the year, and it got cold here early last year. I bought some chicken wire for some of the Coneflower's and some other wire. It has saved my Coneflower's and some of the flower's are still recovering. Here's a picture of some Coneflower's with chicken wire

Thumbnail by roseycats
Hamilton, OH

roseycats.. you have nicely grown plants... but how in the world do you mow around all those chicken wire rings?

Dayton, OH

thanks Never, I don't mow around the Chicken wire, but I do use the weed eater, and sometimes I pull weeds by hand.

Talihina, OK

Have got to have me some of those!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dayton, OH

grits, I'll send you some seeds, if you like, when the time comes. I heard they are sterile, but we can always try if you want. OK?

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Hi Everyone. I was drawn in by the pretty picture of Pow Wow! I really like that one! I have a few extra available for trade if anyone is interested. I'd like to trade for others I don't have. Here is what I have:

Summer Sky: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/133257/
Little Annie: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/195269/
Hot Papaya: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/184002/
Sundown: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/73557/

Thank you!
Mechelle

Thumbnail by MechelleT
Prosperity, SC(Zone 7b)

Quote from MechelleT :
Hi Everyone. I was drawn in by the pretty picture of Pow Wow! I really like that one! I have a few extra available for trade if anyone is interested. I'd like to trade for others I don't have. Here is what I have:

Summer Sky: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/133257/
Little Annie: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/195269/
Hot Papaya: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/184002/
Sundown: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/73557/

Thank you!
Mechelle

Awesome, I only have some ruby star, purple, and white swan, but i don't know if I can seperate probably the white, I'd have to check the other tomorrow

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Would love to trade with anyone who might be interested!

Prosperity, SC(Zone 7b)

well it gets hotter and the coneflowers get better...Gotta have some mo'
The way it is going here better just put in spring blooming bulbs and then prarie plants and succulents, man we have used alot of water this summer.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Here is the White Pow Wow and I love my Pow Wow berry too, looking forward to next year!

Thumbnail by virginiarose
Athens, PA

Looking forward to next year with these plants. I put mine in this year.

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Fall is a great time to set these. I keep mine in a container until it's time to plant them and they do wonderful.

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Oh wow! Great! I just picked up 4 of these at Walmart. Had no idea if they were good ones or not. So took a chance because the price was good. Glad I did now!!!

echinaceamaniac, that picture is beautiful! Thanks!

Sherry

Prosperity, SC(Zone 7b)

Someone sent me a package of Pink Double Delight Seedheads...anyone had luck getting these true from seed...I saw on the plant profile the plant doesn't produce seed, yet I also saw wherer someone else was offering it here at DG from seed. Just curious if I will be wasting my time trying to germinate...:O)

Pink Double Delight doesn't come true from seeds; however, the seeds will germinate. You could get some doubles out of them, but don't count on it.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

By the way Red Knee High looks a lot like Pow Wow Berry but fades real fast. I thought I was buying Kim's Knee High, so I don;t know about that one.

Not a good picture but you can see what I mean.

Thumbnail by virginiarose
Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Still have some Echies available if anyone is interested. Just dmail me!

Thumbnail by MechelleT
Prosperity, SC(Zone 7b)

Well I am gonna have to just find me some plants...Thanks a bunch for the info :O)

Cowden, IL(Zone 5a)

Quote from MechelleT :
Fall is a great time to set these. I keep mine in a container until it's time to plant them and they do wonderful.

Garden newbie here, what do you mean by set them in the fall? Plant the seeds in containers and leave them outside? Do you use potting mix, potting soil? Do they bloom the next year from seeds? I am just LOVING the look of Coneflowers, I'm thinking of purchasing some seeds on ebay to give it a shot.

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Nohren I was talking about setting the plants out. Depending on your first frost, you may have time to germinate them and set them out. You figure germination 7-14 days. The beginner gardening forum has great info for newbies. Good luck!
Mechelle

Lake Stevens, WA

I'm sure that if you collect seeds from the hybrids they will not come true like the parent plant. So far mine that I grew are all purple. I collected seed from a lot of my hybrids. I'm still waiting for most of them to bloom but a few bloomed and are purple. Time is getting short here for blooms.
There are seed varieties like Magic Box and Pow.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Where did you all buy your PowWow Berry? Mine looks NOTHING like yours!! This is the first year with it but it really looks different. I have tints of almost purple in it and the head is much different.

Thumbnail by pixie62560
Athens, PA

Pixie

that is really pretty. I like it..... Mine does not look like yours. I did buy mine at Lowes.

I would like to mention, when my E. Milkshake was first planted, I got flowers that looked like that in your photo. It flowered like that for 2 seasons and this past spring, I moved it closer to the front of the bed and now it looks like E Milkshake...

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Never mind....I figured it out. The 2 new echies I bought got the tags mixed up. PowWow Berry never bloomed this year. This is 'Raspberry Truffle'!

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Quote from echinaceamaniac :
Check out the number of blooms and intense color of these! I really like them. These were planted from seeds last year. They bloomed last year, but this year they are a standout in the garden. The blooms don't fade at all. They last a very long time. Possibly, these have the longest lasting blooms of any Echinacea I've grown.

Wow, I just realized that you grew these from seed, I will run out the door right now and collect mine. I only had the one plant but I was very pleased with it. Looking forward to next year!
Pixie, That is a beautiful Coneflower, please let us know how it goes. Take care of the Pow Wow berry and it will probably bloom next year. The flowers are beautiful and hold their color well plus they are not so tall like the ones that fall over. :)

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

echinaceamaniac
Will I get more plants from my pow wow berry if I just let them go to seed on their own or do I have to collect the seed and do something with them?
Thanks,
Sherry

I'm pretty sure you can let them go to seed on their own; however, if you have other kinds of Echinacea, they may cross with them.

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Okay. Thanks. Since I just got them planted last week I'll just let them be and see what happens. I really just needed to get them in the ground. Not even sure if I will keep them where they are now, but didn't want to let them die like I did with some before. I separated my sternum at work and was out of commission for a while so just had my husband stick them in the ground.

Prosperity, SC(Zone 7b)

I have lots of trades seeds for 2012 , I have purchased some pow wow berry and white seeds from my source grower, and plan to winter sow lots...

San Bernardino, CA(Zone 9a)

As a newbi I finding it hard to find some of the really cute cones. Even the shops on watchdog seem to have limited choices. Any other ideas. I'm a newbee so I don't have seeds to trade but am all for SASE. Thanks Robyn

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.