Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Canning, Freezing and Drying: Whatcha putting by this year?

Communities > Forums > Canning, Freezing and Drying
bookmark
Forum: Canning, Freezing and DryingReplies: 7, Views: 76
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ZoarGardener
Bolivar, OH

June 28, 2011
4:22 PM

Post #8660681

I have been taking stock of my pantry and freezer to decide what I need to put up this year. I froze strawberries and strawberry bread last week. Zucchini bread and muffins are always a must. Tomotoes and sauerkraut. And I always freeze stuffed peppers. Possibly my mother's pickled gypsy peppers and dilly beans. Maybe some peaches if they are reasonably priced. And herbs -- I freeze and/or dry as many of my own herbs as possible. I'm sure my list will grow by the end of the season. What about you guys?
Edens_Gardener
Clay Center, KS
(Zone 5b)

June 29, 2011
11:26 AM

Post #8662233

Started with beet pickles, hope to raise enough tomatoes to can, dilled green beans, peaches if I can catch the Colorado peaches at a good price, we'll freeze roasted peppers, and whatever else comes along that sounds good. Last year I froze a couple of packages of eggplant patties and fixed them during the winter, they were surprisingly good so if the eggplant are plentiful that will be on the list too.

Thumbnail by Edens_Gardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

suzieq2761
Lambertville, NJ
(Zone 6a)

June 29, 2011
12:57 PM

Post #8662393

Edens_Gardener - Did you cook your eggplant before freezing? I would love to do some of that this year. I have done the stuffed peppers and they are awesome.

I froze some asparagus this spring. Will be doing beans, tomatoes, stuffed peppers, diced peppers, bread and butter pickles, corn and squash.

This should be the first year my apple tree has apples, but probably not enough to put up. I got a dehydrator for Christmas and hope to try drying some veggies too. Lot's of stuff I would like to do, but this pesky job keeps cutting into my fun time, lol.
ZoarGardener
Bolivar, OH

June 29, 2011
1:51 PM

Post #8662492

Edens_Gardener - I never thought of freezing roast peppers. Thanks for the idea! I'd like to give that one a try.

Suzieq - I know exactly what you mean about that pesky job thing! :)

According to my mom, their blueberry bushes are loaded soooo, hopefully I can add freezing blueberries to my "to do" list!
Edens_Gardener
Clay Center, KS
(Zone 5b)

June 30, 2011
6:04 AM

Post #8663678

Eggplant Patties - may be frozen

2 medium eggplants ; peeled and cubed
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
2 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons dried parsley or 1/4 cup fresh parsley
2 cloves garlic ; finely minced
1/2 cup Onion ; minced
1/4 cup vegetable oil for frying
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1. Steam until tender, drain thoroughly or place eggplant in a microwave glass bowl and microwave on medium-high 3 - 4 minutes. Turn eggplant over and microwave another 2 minutes. The eggplant should be tender, cook another 2 minutes if the eggplants are not tender. Drain any liquid from the eggplants and mash.
2. Combine cheese, bread crumbs, eggs, parsley, onion, garlic, pepper and salt with the mashed eggplant. Mix well.
3. Shape the eggplant mixture into patties. Heat oil in a large skillet. Place eggplant patties one at a time into skillet. Fry each side of the patties until golden brown, approximately 5 minutes on each side. Patties can be frozen before frying and cooked later.
(If freezing before frying, place on wax paper lined cookie sheet, when frozen, place wax paper between slices and freeze in zip lock baggies or vacuum seal. I like to thaw overnight before cooking)
Note: I don''t use that much oil, a coated skillet and a couple tablespoons of canola oil keeps the fat content down considerably.
Makes 10 - 12 patties.

Michaelp
Glendale, UT
(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2011
3:48 AM

Post #8677626

we canned about 120 qts of string beans so far, -- [our last bean canning year was 5 years ago,] -- the old beans were getting a little soft and some of the seals were weak, --so we fed the old ones to the chickens and canned some more. -we also can Taro [leaf and root], Yam, and squash,and lots of stew,[and a lot of other things] - -- but wont can squash this year, as we canned 180 qts last year, --
we don't freeze much as the power is out here some times for weeks, when we have storms, --
ZoarGardener
Bolivar, OH

July 8, 2011
1:52 PM

Post #8680632

120 qt string beans?!?!? My goodness! Quite a project but isn't it a wonderful feeling to see your shelves stocked with the fruits of your labor? (no pun intended)

Put up a few pts blueberries yesterday -- some were as big a quarters! Zucchini starting to come in like mad -- won't be long until I will be putting it up too! :)
Michaelp
Glendale, UT
(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2011
2:21 AM

Post #8681484

I have 2 all American canners, - [hold 7 qts]- and still stayed up very late waiting for the pressure cooking time to be over, -- but it is good to have the pantry getting full, - and-- when the power is out, -- canned food can be eaten with out heating, --

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 61 Aug 18, 2014 4:11 PM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America