Weeding Tools: What's your favorite?

Fort Collins, CO(Zone 5a)

No matter what kind of gardening you do, you've got weeds. With the seemingly endless number of weeding tools available...what's your favorite?

On July 6, 2011, we'll pick one lucky gardener to win one of our most popular hand weeders - the DeWit Cape Cod weeder from Garden Tool Company.

Thumbnail by Blake_Schreck
Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Don't know the "official" name - has a 2 prong (forked) end to get down and extract the root. Use it for the weeds that pop up in my lawn.

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

my fingers

Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

I do most of my weeding standing up and using a Narrow Collinear Hoe.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-6691-narrow-collinear-hoe.aspx

ZM
(not associated with any product or vendor mentioned or linked)

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

I like to use a knife that is for cutting linoleum. Its sharp on the inside curve which allows me to quickly cut those tough weeds off right at the soil line.

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

I soak the ground as good as I can get with all of this heat we're having and pull with my hands. I go through gloves real quick.

Carlsbad, CA(Zone 10b)

I have a tool, actually three of them, that I've heard called a dandelion weeder. One I would call antique or vintage with the middle part being a wooden bulb shape, one that is probably about thirty years old, and one that I just recently bought at Sears. They all have a two pronged end, a middle part that is like a bulb or a half round piece (about 1 1/2" high) and then the handle. You put the prongs in the ground at the base of the dandelion, or other weed, and then roll it backwards and it pulls up the weed. The middle rounded piece allows it to pull the weed without you actually having to pull. They all work great! I will attach a picture tomorrow.

Congratulations to pbyrley...you've been picked to win the Cape Cod weeder from Garden Tool Company!

http://www.gardentoolcompany.com/products/Cape-Cod-Weeder-by-DeWit-Tools.html

Woohoo....

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

my newest fav is a small square hoe on a long handle.. but it's only 4 - 5" across .. it has a slight pivot to it... and small enough to fit in between existing plants .. the long handle saves my back.. and on some of my slopes.. saves my ankles because I can stand on flat ground and use the long handle to do the work

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

Onewish1 Did you order that kind of hoe from the Japanese Woodworking site or did you buy it at a retail store? (I was thinking of getting one of those hoes also.)

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I believe it came from HD

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

Okay, thanks!

Decatur, GA

I use my shovel. I slide it along the surface and cut the weeds off by their necks.
I got one of those (expensive) dandelion pullers with the two prongs and rounded 1/2 bulb shaped part. I use that now to take down and put back up my suet feeder from the bird feeder pole which hangs up high. It works great for that purpose and though I don't use it for weeding it is so useful in its new job I don't regret paying a pretty price for the thing.
Helen
By the way Annie, when did thirty years old become vintage? If thats the case then I sure am way past vintage and so is my shovel! ^_^

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Quote from helenchild :
By the way Annie, when did thirty years old become vintage? If that's the case then I sure am way past vintage and so is my shovel! ^_^

LOLOLOL - me too!

Congrats to pbyrley! Ibet you will enjoy your new tool!!!

I am also a hand-puller but I have small mattock-type tool that has a dual head with a sharp edge and a fork. Pulling up Bermudagrass is my most-frequent and least-favorite weeding chore here, and it's the only tool that I can use to get under a nasty infestation and loosen it enough to start hand-pulling the individual roots. But I confess I've been eyeing scuffle/horseshoe hoes for a while and have considered trying one out in the beds that just need the topgrowth knocked off.

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

We fight that monster bermuda grass here too. My garden sits in the middle with the chicken's pen and run around it so they will help me keep the B. grass out. Chickens, fortunately, always seem hungry and willing to scratch up grass so we put them to good use. They reach through the fence and keep the grass pecked down on the outside too.

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

Terry,
I believe that was a spam reply from Blake_Schreck. If not, I am sure my fingers will enjoy some rest. I clicked on the supplied web page and it told me how to buy one but not how to win one. Oh well, at least it's Summer and my figs are getting bigger and bigger.

Quote from Blake_Schreck :
On July 6, 2011, we'll pick one lucky gardener to win one of our most popular hand weeders - the DeWit Cape Cod weeder from Garden Tool Company.

It's not spam - Blake and his company are sponsoring this forum so I'm pretty sure you'll be getting your tool ASAP :-)

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

OK, thanks Terry When I opened again, I saw that Blake was author of the thread -

Sorry Blake, and thanks.

Paul

Cave Creek, AZ(Zone 9b)

I had a long handled cape cod weeder that I loved...great for getting things just out of leaning reach...I am a hand puller too, but when you need some leverage or there are some big clumped weeds the cape cod weeder is great. I also love a Hula Hoe (other brand names) but is a more or less d-shaped wiggle blade. Great for cultivating small weeds quickly. I find if I use it weekly in spots where small weeds are likely to sprout I can quickly contain them. Just takes a few minutes.

Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

I also have the long-handled Cape Cod weeder, the right-handed model. It is great for pulling out big clumps of weed grass. Even though I am right-handed, there are times when the left-handed model would come in handy. Perhaps I will buy the left-handed model someday. The long handle lets you use both hands on the handle to apply some extra force on stubborn weeds.

ZM

Cave Creek, AZ(Zone 9b)

I agree Zen the long handle allows leverage and if I don't need the leverage I just 'choke up' on it. To me the long handled weeder gives you more versatility

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

I received my prize DeWit Cape Cod weeder from Garden Tool Company on Saturday. It is a very well made tool and I am looking forward to cooler temps so I can dig up more crabgrass.

Thank you very much to The Garden Tool Company and Blake Schreck.

Paul

Paul,

You're so welcome and I hope you get cooler temps too...I think we all would welcome a little cooler weather. Don't get me wrong, I'm not asking for winter to get here any time soon.

Zephyrhills, FL

I would love to see a tool specifically made for the removal of nut grass.An improvement on what I use now which is the shovel.The shovel blade though is too wide and damages the roots of plants that are being infringed upon by the nut grass. . A trowel with a very long, say 12", narrow and strong blade might be good to get down to some of those "nuts" that are so deep in the ground.

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

ransom3,
When I lived in Maitland (near Orlando), I gave up digging as I always left nuts to re-sprout. I paid about $50 for the nutgrass specific spray that had come on the market about 1988, I think. It did work very well and the nut grass didn't return (before I moved out). BTW, it was expensive because, then, I had to buy a gal. of fairly concentrated stuff. I'm sure there are consumer strength portions available by now.
Paul

Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

ransom3,

I agree with Paul that digging always leaves nuts that re-sprout. I fought nutgrass in Fort Worth for over 10 years, without getting rid of it. I think you would have to dig up the whole area and pass all of the soil through a screen to get it all.

ZM

Casper, WY(Zone 4a)

My best tool comes in a can---Roundup. My second best tool is a dandelion weeder. If I don't get the root, the weed will just come back.

I know, I know. I am too late for the price. Just wanted to put my 2 cents worth.

Las Vegas, NV

Well if I have weeds that haven't gone to seed yet I
have a really neat way of dealing with them.
I use a trowel that is used for cement work.It looks
like a rectangle and has small cutouts on two sides.
I use it just like they would on cement except I dig into
the soil about an inch or so to destroy the weed roots.
You can leave the weeds there or remove them. If left
there they would just become compost. This is a very
fast process compared to most. This application is
for in beds and areas that are delicate.

BATTLEBORO, NC

Does anyone know of a place that sells a long handled Crevice Weeder? I once made one when the blade broke off my hoe. It worked real fine for clearing out the grove made by the lawn edger. Lost it in our moving around.

Decatur, GA

You might try Lee Valley Tools. They have tons of stuff. I am not sure what a crevice weeder is exactly or else I would peruse the site for you.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/

Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Their telescoping handle crack weeder might be what you are looking for.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Garden/page.aspx?p=49939&cat=2,2300,33275&ap=1

ZM

Thanks, Zen_Man...that looks like a handy tool :-).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.