Photo by Melody

Beginner Vegetables: Some things just grow better in a pot.

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 8, Views: 141
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2011
12:19 PM

Post #8664425

Chives seem to grow better in a pot then in the ground. The ground can get hot & dry during the year & the Chives could die, & get eaten by varmints. Does anyone have any more plants that seem to do better in pots, in regards to keeping them going from year to year?
weasel71
Lombard, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 30, 2011
1:31 PM

Post #8664550

Mint is pretty indestructable as well. But you're right, chives do GREAT in containers.
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2011
1:36 PM

Post #8664557

I'm glad to hear you say that about chives. I planted chive seeds in a pot this spring, the first time I've ever grown them. The oak sticks are so my wife's cat won't lay in that pot. I don't know whether I should bring these inside for the winter or not - it can get a little below zero degrees here, though that's rare.

I've posted before that I've kept a pot of Maui Purple Peppers going for many years now. We bring it inside for the winter, of course. I suspect that any small pepper variety that likes to be crowded, like those, will do better in a pot than in the ground. The individual plants only live 2 or 3 years, but they reseed themselves.

Thumbnail by Ozark
Click the image for an enlarged view.

weasel71
Lombard, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 30, 2011
1:48 PM

Post #8664589

Hi Ozark. Up until this past spring, I had the same terracotta pot of chives for the last 4-5 years. I never brought them in and never protected them. They just came back every spring like clockwork. I have no idea how that pot lasted that long with all that freezing and thawing, but I do remember repotting it once into a slightly larger pot with fresh potting mix. During spring clean-up this year, my mom mistakenly threw out the contents of that original chive pot so I had to buy new ones at the supermarket. They are doing great though and I'm sure I'll have them for many years to come.
Goldenberry
Northeast, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2011
11:34 AM

Post #8673935

This year it seems that everything I grow in a pot is doing better than simlar plants in the ground. My green bush beans in a pot are big and, well, bushy, and producing beans. The ones in the ground all got eaten by baby bunnies and birds. I have a zucchini plant in a pot that is taking over the patio, while the one in the ground is about a foot tall.

I also have a clay pot of chives that spends the winter in my garage and comes back every spring. A sage plant in a pot spends winter outdoors and returns every spring. Maybe I need to invest in more pots and put more of my plants in them!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 8, 2011
6:41 AM

Post #8679954

All the water-hogging brassicas do exceptionally well in 5-gallon self-watering eBuckets! Cabbages, Broccoli, Cauliflowers, and Eggplants (a nightshade?) can take up water from the built-in reservoirs, and keep themselves happy!

Linda

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 8, 2011
6:43 AM

Post #8679960

And, if you prefer a more decorative design, follow this link to see how easy it is to convert a large planter into a self-watering system!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1094601/
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2011
10:32 PM

Post #8685180

The only plant i'm having trouble with is green pepper. I think it is somehow my fault and not the container.
Vickie
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

July 11, 2011
4:27 PM

Post #8686759

Basil grows great in pots also.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America