-
AuthorContent
nhuntley
Holladay, UT
(Zone 5a)

June 30, 2011
1:52 PM

Post #8664595

There is a very small art gallery not too far from me that has the most amazing pink poppies out front. For the last four years, I've tried to find someone there to ask if I could have a seed pod or two, without any luck. I've never seen the gallery open, so I've never been able to ask anyone! I've called and left messages, and taped a note or two to the door, but no one has returned my call. Whenever I think the seeds should be ready to harvest, I drive past and all of them have been cut down to the ground, and I can't find a trace of a seed head anywhere!

I'm wanting to know if I can cut the seed pods off before they are ready, and let them age at home. I've never tried this, so I have no idea if this will work or not. I have no idea what kind of poppies they are. I think they are probably annuals that reseed, but I'm not sure. I'm more than willing to cut off a few seed heads if they will survive, since the plant is cut to the ground every year.

Any help is most appreciated!

Natalie
AmyMorie
Green Cove Springs, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 19, 2011
8:58 PM

Post #8856550

While it's always besy to have permission from someone who may be saving seed themselves, Poppy pods can be harvested when they start to dry a bit and look ribbed, but aren't completely dry. Check the seeds inside, They must be black to be viable.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Saving Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Beans Crossing ragamuffin 2 Dec 25, 2007 7:28 AM
Angelonia tiG 12 Nov 11, 2007 1:19 PM
'homemade' dessicant? patfrompa 4 Dec 16, 2010 7:09 PM
cant find cats whiskers seed berrygirl 16 Jan 7, 2008 4:34 PM
Mountain laurel seeds txjaks 3 Jul 8, 2008 5:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America